Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lenovo T430 v Accer Aspire V3-371

• 22-04-2016 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

How are things...

Long to get past experiences of people with either of these..

Acer Aspire V3-371 (Refurbished, Grade A - Ebay @€;240) -

Have won this on ebay, bidding while in class, forgot to look up reviews (silly me) reviews are a constant 3* from 5*(Sometimes less). People complaining about the touch pad that sometimes its unresponsive (People saying you need a wireless mouse) has made me uneasy about going for it tbh...or with it being refurbished would thos issues be ironed out?..Also alot of people online saying its crap picking up Wifi ect..? Surely for €240 one couldn't go wrong..?? Could he..??

Heres a link to it...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-Aspire-V3-371-Laptop-13-3-Intel-Core-i3-4030U-1-9GHz-4GB-500GB-SSHD-Win8-/401109180152?hash=item5d63f85ef8:g:97AAAOSwiYFXF58b

I won it for...€240 with free delivery..? It also comes with a year warrany and is a grade A refurbished laptop..?

Lenovo T430 (Refurbished, Grade A, AtlanticITIreland @ €390) -

Then i was onto a fella from AtlanticITIreland in Mayo and he has a Lenovo T430 for sale...he said he might do it for €370..? Again refurbished, 6 month warranty, Grade A refurbished laptop..?

https://www.donedeal.ie/laptops-for-sale/lenovo-t430-laptops-3rd-gen-i5-delivery-warranty/11475144

Another note, the brother has a mate who claims that the lenovo slow down an awful lot after a while..?

HP 250 Core-i5-5200(Brand new, LaptopsDirect @ €378) -

Just seen this on LaptopsDirect...Has good reviews...Had a bad experience with my last HP, my brother broke the screen and from there on everything went down hill, got awful slow, awful fast ect..it was the HP Pavilion G6-2240sa by the way !

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/hp-250-core-i5-5200u-2.2ghz-4gb-500gb-dvd-sm-15.6-windows-10-laptop-n1a92ea/version.asp

I have decide this laptop will only be for college work and watching movies, listening to music no games ect...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

240 is an excellent price for that Acer tbh. Most of the reviews are from people who paid 600 euros for it and have very high expectations and they're competing with other higher spec laptops. For 240 you'd be getting a lot of bang for your buck

It seems that there were some issues with faulty touch-pads when it was first released, that may be the reason why this particular laptop was returned, but when they're refurbished by the manufacturer, the touchpad will have been repaired by Acer and tested to make sure that it is working properly, so it's highly unlikely that the same issue would affect the one you're getting from ebay

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Aspire-V3-371-Touchpad-Freezing/td-p/293690

That's the joy of Manufacturer refurbished laptops, often a new laptop will go through Quality control but they missed something, so the customer returns it, then the manufacturer replaces that faulty part, does another quality check and sells it as refurbished. Often the laptop will be in brand new condition.

This ebay seller has a 1 year warranty with free return postage.

Regarding link 2, the lenovo is 'refurbished' but not by the manufacturer, so when they say refurbished, nobody really knows what they did, they might have just cleaned it and reinstalled windows. This particular laptop has a faster processor and more usb ports but the battery won't last as long because it's not a 'U' processor so it needs more power. Also, the battery might be a bit knackered because it's probably 2 years old. This laptop has a 6 month warranty from the seller, but that probably doesn't include the battery, or return postage

The third link, the HP, is a very good price for a brand new 15.6 laptop with an I5 processor. I don't know which laptop is faster in day to day use the Acer or the HP, because the processor is a low powered version in both machines, The HP is an I5, and the Acer is an I3, but the acer also has the Hybrid hard drive which would probably make a bigger difference in day to day speed than the processor difference.

Between the HP and the Acer, and Lenovo the differences are

Acer - Better battery life
    Much Cheaper
    More Portable
    SSHD (hybrid hard drive for faster booting and operation)
    No Disk Drive
    Smaller screen
    Fewer usb ports (2 instead of 3 in hp and 4 in lenovo))

HP - Slightly Faster CPU
    Optical Disk Drive
    Bigger screen
    Worse battery life
    Heavier and bulkier for carrying around
    Much more expensive

Lenovo - Fastest CPU
    Oldest
    v. Expensive for what it is
    Worst battery life
    Questionable quality and warranty

First 2 laptops come with 1 year warranty, I'm not sure if laptops direct include free return postage. 3rd laptop comes with 6 month warranty, probably not including return postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Tdireddi

Akrasia wrote: »
    240 is an excellent price for that Acer tbh. Most of the reviews are from people who paid 600 euros for it and have very high expectations and they're competing with other higher spec laptops. For 240 you'd be getting a lot of bang for your buck

It seems that there were some issues with faulty touch-pads when it was first released, that may be the reason why this particular laptop was returned, but when they're refurbished by the manufacturer, the touchpad will have been repaired by Acer and tested to make sure that it is working properly, so it's highly unlikely that the same issue would affect the one you're getting from ebay

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Aspire-V3-371-Touchpad-Freezing/td-p/293690

That's the joy of Manufacturer refurbished laptops, often a new laptop will go through Quality control but they missed something, so the customer returns it, then the manufacturer replaces that faulty part, does another quality check and sells it as refurbished. Often the laptop will be in brand new condition.

This ebay seller has a 1 year warranty with free return postage.

Regarding link 2, the lenovo is 'refurbished' but not by the manufacturer, so when they say refurbished, nobody really knows what they did, they might have just cleaned it and reinstalled windows. This particular laptop has a faster processor and more usb ports but the battery won't last as long because it's not a 'U' processor so it needs more power. Also, the battery might be a bit knackered because it's probably 2 years old. This laptop has a 6 month warranty from the seller, but that probably doesn't include the battery, or return postage

The third link, the HP, is a very good price for a brand new 15.6 laptop with an I5 processor. I don't know which laptop is faster in day to day use the Acer or the HP, because the processor is a low powered version in both machines, The HP is an I5, and the Acer is an I3, but the acer also has the Hybrid hard drive which would probably make a bigger difference in day to day speed than the processor difference.

Between the HP and the Acer, and Lenovo the differences are

Acer - Better battery life
    Much Cheaper
    More Portable
    SSHD (hybrid hard drive for faster booting and operation)
    No Disk Drive
    Smaller screen
    Fewer usb ports (2 instead of 3 in hp and 4 in lenovo))

HP - Slightly Faster CPU
    Optical Disk Drive
    Bigger screen
    Worse battery life
    Heavier and bulkier for carrying around
    Much more expensive

Lenovo - Fastest CPU
    Oldest
    v. Expensive for what it is
    Worst battery life
    Questionable quality and warranty

First 2 laptops come with 1 year warranty, I'm not sure if laptops direct include free return postage. 3rd laptop comes with 6 month warranty, probably not including return postage.

@Akrasia..wow, thanks for taking the time out for that very much helpful info..il go with the acer, price wise I can't go wrong! Thanks again, il let you know how it goes. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Tdireddi wrote: »
    @Akrasia..wow, thanks for taking the time out for that very much helpful info..il go with the acer, price wise I can't go wrong! Thanks again, il let you know how it goes. Thanks again :)
    No probs

Let me know how it goes :)

Advertisement