Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Would they be able to postpone the contract? I like sakho, and would like to keep him - can they press pause and resume 17/18

I know they will not be able to stancewise and would be lambasted publicly for it but im wondering is it an option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If Sakho does get 12 months he is of zero use for next season. I can't see FSG wanting to hang on to him in those circumstances, he would be of little use for an entire season. If this was Skirtel who got caught we'd all be saying show him the door. I'm still annoyed about the whole thing, how could he be that stupid to put his entire career in jeopardy?

It's an absolutely moronic thing to do, and you are 100% right - he'll likely get an easier time in the press and with a lot of fans because he is popular. Football fans (and authorities) don't care about doping. Even if he does get suspended, people probably wouldn't mention it too much if he returned to the top level after.
    ardinn wrote: »
    Would they be able to postpone the contract? I like sakho, and would like to keep him - can they press pause and resume 17/18

I know they will not be able to stancewise and would be lambasted publicly for it but im wondering is it an option!

Legally it doesn't sound like it would be an option. But, I imagine he wouldn't be able to sign with anyone else either if he is suspended so, technically, the club could probably sack him and re-hire him after? Though, I doubt it would happen.

Arijan Ademi, the Dinamo Zabgreb midfielder, was banned for four years in November for doping. He claimed innocence, offered a B sample which also came back positive for banned substances and got the full whack ban as such. Zagreb have kept him on their books afaik, but he obviously can't play.

Sakho could face a pretty hefty ban if he does protest innocence and still fail the test. The Ademi case made it seem pretty black and white - banned is banned. There aren't many cases to go by for precendent, Ademi's was 2015 after some rules had changed to bring in harsher punishments so it is more useful than Toure's case, for example.

With Kolo, 6 months was far shorter than he was expected to get at the time. A 2 year ban was expected, but the panel took "mitigating circumstances" into consideration and gave a ban that is described as "rare and short" by the BBC, the Guardian and the Telegraph in articles written at the time.

Took this from the Liverpool Echo:

Here's what QC Christopher Quinlan, who headed the panel, said at the time: "The criterion in assessing any reduction in what would otherwise be the minimum penalty of two years' suspension is the player's degree of fault. The player accepted he was at fault and with that concession we agree.

"He was at fault in the limited and perfunctory efforts he made in relation to the water tablets; the checks he made in relation to those tablets were inadequate and fell some way below what it would be reasonable to expect of a professional footballer in these circumstances.”

So, again, if Sakho protests innocence, it may get even worse for him if he's proven guilty afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

If Sakho gets a lengthy ban, and is indeed released from his contract, I would not be in the least bit surprised to see PSG take him back once his ban has been completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Glico Man wrote: »
    If Sakho gets a lengthy ban, and is indeed released from his contract, I would not be in the least bit surprised to see PSG take him back once his ban has been completed.

Just releasing him makes no sense...the cost of his earnings is likely going to be smaller than his asset value to the club (2 years wages equates to about 10m). I just can't see Pool cutting ties like that with such a loss...we'd either keep him altogether, wait it out and sell, or sue him.

Another other than suing him means a pretty hefty financial hit for pool regardless though :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Oh for sure. I think/hope we hang on to him. What I was mentioning is all about the ifs and buts of what could happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Huge day for the families of the Hillsborough victims. Hopefully it all works out for them today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kolo may be staying after all.
    ​Kolo Toure has commenced negotiations with Liverpool about extending his contract, the ​Daily Star report.

The veteran centre-back has made 13 Premier League appearances this season, pushing Martin Skrtel down the pecking order in the process, and although his contract expires at the end of the campaign, Toure is confident he will extend his stay at Anfield.

Speaking to French radio station RMC, the Ivorian revealed "The future is bright for me and it was good news from the manager, so I'm looking forward to it.

"Bringing something off the pitch is natural for me. I'm doing that because I want to help my team-mates. I want to fight on the pitch. That is what I bring. I will keep doing that. It doesn't matter what happens, anywhere I go."

Jurgen Klopp has been impressed by the 35-year-old's versatility and confessed he is a strong character.

The German coach said "Kolo is a very, very important player for us, even when he doesn't play. He's one of the most impressive people I have met, but now is not the right time to speak about Kolo's future.

"When I came here Kolo had a few problems injury-wise but now it looks completely different and that's good.

"How I have heard things is that a big part of Kolo's future is at Liverpool. So I'd say everything is ok."

http://www.90min.com/posts/3149410-kolo-toure-my-future-at-liverpool-football-club-is-bright?a_aid=36149

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Just releasing him makes no sense...the cost of his earnings is likely going to be smaller than his asset value to the club (2 years wages equates to about 10m). I just can't see Pool cutting ties like that with such a loss...we'd either keep him altogether, wait it out and sell, or sue him.

Another other than suing him means a pretty hefty financial hit for pool regardless though :-/
    I would think he would be in breach of contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I'd be thrilled if he stays. Genuinely never thought I'd be saying that after he arrived.

Big fan of his personality on and off the field, seems to be a big role in the dressing room. And, in fairness, his on-field displays have been generally quite solid this season.

Can't imagine he'll be on high wages or expecting substantial game time, but having 5 CBs including Toure, Matip, Lovren, Gomez and Sakho/AN Other is not a bad position to be in. Means Gomez doesn't get dumped in the deep end if he is needed and can learn from someone who has seen it all in the game too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If Sakho is found guilty I've a suspicion he'll be sued by the club for the outstanding value of his current contract and be released. I think FSG will actually want to make an example of a "drugs cheat" if there is shown to be no extenuating circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

A fine of 1 year+ greatly depreciates his value to the club as an asset from the word 'go'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Yes on Q6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Thank god

No on q7, thank God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

All 96 victims were unlawfully killed? Yes

About time and finally justice has been done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Great news, justice at last.

Yes to q13 re SYP. They should be disbanded.

Cg9jfCOWkAAPskT.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Justice finally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Absolutely delighted for the families and for all the people who fought the hard fight all these years, there must be a massive sense of relief for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Delighted for the families

Whilst it might seem silly to some as I have no connection to the families involved or directly to the club itself due to living in Ireland but I am quite emotional today

I remember sitting down to watch this game as an 11 year old and the scenes that unfolded are seared into my memory followed very closely by the images of the many many funerals that followed and the visual heartbreak it caused to the players and manager at the time, many of whom were never the same after it

Whilst not being directly affected by it I always felt it was horribly cruel what was done to the families by the police and institutions who were all trying to cover their own arses, some of it was malicious some of it uninformed but all of it hurt them and I am glad they have finally got their justice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If Sakho does get 12 months he is of zero use for next season.

Incredible insight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I imagine there will be a little star shining extra brightly tonight in memory of Anne Williams.

She was a guiding light for the quest to get the truth told and stayed fighting when many would long have given up.

Rest in peace now, Anne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

If Sakho does get 12 months he is of zero use for next season.

Never knew Michael Owen was on Boards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dejan-lovren-says-liverpools-win-11240033

Lovren has endured a testing time since moving to Anfield in 2014 but, speaking to the Sunday Times, talked at length about that winning goal and what it meant to him.

“You know, when the ball was in the air and I was there, I thought ‘this is the time’” he said. “I said to myself; ‘it’s now or never.

“I don’t know… it was a relief I would say. A relief in me. Difficult to describe. Emotions. Angry. Relief. Powerful in the moment... All of those things together.

“It was everything that had happened over the last couple of months, also the last couple of years. Always the light on me. You know, to do something special… so I can say, maybe, ‘I’m sorry,’ for the beginning. So maybe the people will now say okay, we accept that.

“That moment you connect, every player needs it. I was so proud and angry, I felt I was saying, ‘yeah, that’s me, that’s the Dejan you know, who is the fighter until the end, who will never say that it’s over.’

“This is a good beginning for me, a connection with the fans and the people. One of the best days of my life was moving to Liverpool but the goal is the best moment of my career, to be honest.”

Lovren, of course, now assumes extra responsibility following news of Mamadou Sakho’s possible anti-doping violation. The 26-year-old will marshal the Liverpool defence in Villarreal as he looks to take the club to their first European final since 2007.

“I want to leave footsteps here,” he added. “I want people to be proud of me and to be able to say ‘that was Dejan, he played for us.’

“I want trophies, and I want to be thought of as a leader here. I’m still young but I’m born to be a leader.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

If Sakho does get 12 months he is of zero use for next season. ?

Yeah. If he's not careful, that 12 months could turn into a year.
    /keegan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Any chance that for one day only, given the magnitude of today's decision, we could not clutter the thread up with pointless squabbles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

mosstin wrote: »
    Any chance that for one day only, given the magnitude of today's decision, we could not clutter the thread up with pointless squabbles?

Shut your face.

Shut your face.

That's the spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

That's the spirit.

What if the squabble has a point?

• Advertisement

dogbert27 wrote: »
    What if the squabble has a point?

Makes no difference to me, ultimately. Just a request. It's an historic day.

I'm only messing. Just a strange request as there has been no squabbles all day.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I'm only messing. Just a strange request as there has been no squabbles all day.

Oh yes there has!

corwill wrote: »
    Oh yes there has!

_59983444_punch_glyn.jpg

MD1990 wrote: »
    I would think he would be in breach of contract.

Oh of course...I don't think I explained my point very well...

He'd obviously be in breach of contract, so we could be done with him instantly - and in the process lose a 15 to 20 million pound asset.

So the choices are; to sack him and lose the value of the asset straight away, OR honor the contract and keep him as an asset but forfeit wages for that time (potentially up to 10m pounds), OR release him and sue him for breach of contract for the value remaining on the contract.

All ****ty situations for the club unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Delighted for the families

Whilst it might seem silly to some as I have no connection to the families involved or directly to the club itself due to living in Ireland but I am quite emotional today

I remember sitting down to watch this game as an 11 year old and the scenes that unfolded are seared into my memory followed very closely by the images of the many many funerals that followed and the visual heartbreak it caused to the players and manager at the time, many of whom were never the same after it

Whilst not being directly affected by it I always felt it was horribly cruel what was done to the families by the police and institutions who were all trying to cover their own arses, some of it was malicious some of it uninformed but all of it hurt them and I am glad they have finally got their justice

Rte Showed the match and its on Youtube.

Why dont Rte do a documentary on it? They have the archive footage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

He'd obviously be in breach of contract, so we could be done with him instantly - and in the process lose a 15 to 20 million pound asset.

First of all he's only worth €Xm if another club would pay that for him and after this I doubt very much anyone would pay big money for him not only because he took PED's but because there must be a major question mark over whether the performances which make him a £20m type player can only be achieved with the use of PED's.

Also, I'd like to know if it's possible for the clubs to take out some form of key man insurance against players doing stupid $h1t like this and if LFC did???

It is indeed and I hope you know I meant no offence with what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Has Sterling been injured the last few months?

• Advertisement

TV3 will have the EL final so that's a reason for Liverpool to be there

I wonder did the tribunal decide not to bother announcing the outcome with the day that's in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If we don't like the fee they come up with can we give him back.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

TV3 will have the EL final so that's a reason for Liverpool to be there

I wonder did the tribunal decide not to bother announcing the outcome with the day that's in it?

Apparently the tribunal hearing began today, but it'll span a few days. We should find out later in the week.

First of all he's only worth €Xm if another club would pay that for him and after this I doubt very much anyone would pay big money for him not only because he took PED's but because there must be a major question mark over whether the performances which make him a £20m type player can only be achieved with the use of PED's.

Also, I'd like to know if it's possible for the clubs to take out some form of key man insurance against players doing stupid $h1t like this and if LFC did???

I think we'll be surprised by how much this blows over as time passes. It always does. This type of thing didn't stop us from bringing in Kolo, didn't stop Nike giving Justin Gatlin an absolutely gigantic sponsorship deal after 2 doping bans, or Tyson Gay a deal after Adidas dropped him when he failed. They just waited till the noise quieted down, and signed them up. It won't stop Sharapova getting major sponsors after she comes back from her ban either.

These things always go in cycles - everyone is outraged for a while, then it dies down, and then the money comes back in again.

It's even somewhat comparable to the furore that always surrounds Suarez when he bites people/makes racist comments. You have all these shouts that he should be thrown out of the sport, but it dies down, and things return to normal.

As to his value, of course that will fluctuate with demand, but as it stands he's an expensive asset on our books, which adds to the value of the club. Even just releasing him on paper is bad for the company's finances. I've absolutely no doubt we'd get 10+ million for him if we held on. But as I said, each of those 3 options I gave is bad for the club. It's just a case of finding which is the lesser of 3 evils.

On the bench counting his money for the last few games as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

On the bench counting his money for the last few games as far as I know.

Will be interesing to see what happens with him under pep next season, sink or swim.

• Advertisement

He's had a broken soul for going on 18 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

He's had a broken soul for going on 18 months

That's what happens when you sell said soul to the devil..

#I'veadozenkidstosupport

Take a look at @TonyBarretTimes's Tweet: https://twitter.com/TonyBarretTimes/status/725076412936376320?s=09

Poor auld Bad-News, disgusted at his own paper's lack of front page coverage of the inquest verdicts. He strikes me as a decent skin as well as a good journalist, this can't be easy on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Take a look at @TonyBarretTimes's Tweet: https://twitter.com/TonyBarretTimes/status/725076412936376320?s=09

Poor auld Bad-News, disgusted at his own paper's lack of front page coverage of the inquest verdicts. He strikes me as a decent skin as well as a good journalist, this can't be easy on him.

The paper of record...

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    The paper of record...

Seems they're trying to mend their hand with the 2nd edition.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement