Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Grueller wrote: »
    Lads, based on this tournament I see bids incoming for Joe Allen. Possibly from Arsenal as I think sitting deep for them with whats ahead he could be good there.
    Given that he has been a bit part player for pool, sell or keep? Genuine question.

No i wouldn't sell. He's been superb since Klopp took over. The only thing is he's probably looking to leave due to wanting more regular starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Skrtel's down injured. Might be hard to get rid of him now if he can't pass a medical. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We should ask for more for Skrtel after tonight's performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

If he's injured himself out of his move...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Grueller

monkey9 wrote: »
    No i wouldn't sell. He's been superb since Klopp took over. The only thing is he's probably looking to leave due to wanting more regular starts.

I would agree with you on that he will definitely want assurances about game time if he is not to be unsettled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Why is Skrtel and co playing for a draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Why is Skrtel and co playing for a draw?

4 points will get any team through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Hendo had a fine game tonight, looks back to normal fitness levels.

Did'nt realise there were four 3rd place teams going through, thought it was just 2.

How many midfielders can be accommodated is the issue that Klopp needs to deal with. He could well sell Lucas but that would leave

Hendo
    Can
    Allen
    Zeilinski (assuming he is bought as expected)
    Milner
    Grujic

for the central positions which next season is a lot.

It would'nt surprise me at all to see Allen and Hendo sold this summer, i think we'll hang on to Lucas as the utility man at the back.

I'd be disappointed to see any of those three leave especially Allen as he's been very good this year but i'm fully onboard the Klopp train, so whatever he thinks best i'll buy into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

How many midfielders can be accommodated is the issue that Klopp needs to deal with. He could well sell Lucas but that would leave

Hendo
    Can
    Allen
    Milner
    Grujic

Its really not a lot. Grujic and Zielinski are essentially kids and wont be walking into the team. That really leaves Can, Allen, Lucas and Hendo. Milner shouldnt be playing CM.

It would'nt surprise me at all to see Allen and Hendo sold this summer, i think we'll hang on to Lucas as the utility man at the back.

I'd be disappointed to see any of those three leave especially Allen as he's been very good this year but i'm fully onboard the Klopp train, so whatever he thinks best i'll buy into it.

He wont be selling Henderson or Allen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

corwill wrote: »
    Dirty isn't the same as hard, though. But consistent dirtiness and cynicism requires a degree of thought and cunning, which is where the charge of dirtiness against our Marty breaks down.
    I wasn't suggesting that he's a Andoni Goikoetxea wannabe.

Persistent fouls and "old school" physical defending are a natural part of Skrtel's game. I was happy to have him at Liverpool but as he ages, his reliance upon the physical aspect of the game is an increasing liability. Unlike masters of the persistent fouling such as Ricardo Carvalho, Skrtel doesn't have the intelligence to adapt his game as he ages. The likes of the elbows and stupid tackles are a growing part of his game.

Hendo
    Can
    Allen
    Milner
    Grujic

Milner's days in central midfield should be well and truly over. I think he could do well in the "Lallana" role and might actually score when through on goal.

Milner goes LW or RW for me. Less positional responsibility there so he can dart around and press but will also get back to help his full back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Talisman wrote: »
    I wasn't suggesting that he's a Andoni Goikoetxea wannabe.

Persistent fouls and "old school" physical defending are a natural part of Skrtel's game. I was happy to have him at Liverpool but as he ages, his reliance upon the physical aspect of the game is an increasing liability. Unlike masters of the persistent fouling such as Ricardo Carvalho, Skrtel doesn't have the intelligence to adapt his game as he ages. The likes of the elbows and stupid tackles are a growing part of his game.

Maybe I expressed myself poorly, because I agree with you. The shirt dragging and other mayhem that have become typical in his game the last couple of years seem to me to be born more of desperation than malice. I guess he's still dirty, just not nasty, if you know what I mean?

Did'nt realise there were four 3rd place teams going through, thought it was just 2.
    After the results tonight, Wales will be playing one of them so they could go further in the tournament than England!

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Milner goes LW or RW for me. Less positional responsibility there so he can dart around and press but will also get back to help his full back.
    Yes he could do a job out wide as we have seen this season but for me he lacks the pace to be a real attacking threat on the right.

If we don't sign a pacey wide player, I wouldn't be surprised to see Moreno pushed forward on the left, with a proper full back is signed for his position. Hector has looked like a left sided Clyne while playing for Germany, he's defensively solid but not really an attacking outlet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

After the results tonight, Wales will be playing one of them so they could go further in the tournament than England!

England play whoever finishes second in Group F. Even though they've laboured through the group I would expect them to beat Hungary, Iceland or Portugal (they've been absolute dross so far, but they always turn it on against England so maybe not!).

I would reckon both England and Wales reach the quarters where they could play France and Belgium, respectively. That's where it gets tricky!

Maybe I expressed myself poorly, because I agree with you. The shirt dragging and other mayhem that have become typical in his game the last couple of years seem to me to be born more of desperation than malice. I guess he's still dirty, just not nasty, if you know what I mean?
    If you look back at the central defenders we've had at the club for the past 15 years, the closest player to Martin Skrtel in terms of being a physical defender was Stephane Henchoz. Benitez shipped him out of the club at the same stage of his career. Playing in a slower league is the best way for Skrtel to prolong his career at the top level so a move to Serie A would suit him.

• Advertisement

I would reckon both England and Wales reach the quarters where they could play France and Belgium, respectively. That's where it gets tricky!
    I was told by a Welsh neighbour at the weekend that their record against Belgium is:

P 13 W 5 D 3 L 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Eamonn Dunphy reckons Joe Allen had improved under Klopp.

Fair play to Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

mikeym wrote: »

Fair play to Wales.

Klopp has improved under Joe Allen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I was told by a Welsh neighbour at the weekend that their record against Belgium is:

P 13 W 5 D 3 L 5

Nope. That's actually the name of a village 15 miles to the NW of Swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

mikeym wrote: »

Fair play to Wales.

Stopped reading after that.

mosstin wrote: »
    Nope. That's actually the name of a village 15 miles to the NW of Swansea.
    :D

Yes he could do a job out wide as we have seen this season but for me he lacks the pace to be a real attacking threat on the right.

If we don't sign a pacey wide player, I wouldn't be surprised to see Moreno pushed forward on the left, with a proper full back is signed for his position. Hector has looked like a left sided Clyne while playing for Germany, he's defensively solid but not really an attacking outlet.

He's fast enough and he never stops. He's like the Milnerator.

Still waiting to see what befalls ol' Markovic. We already signed one Serbian for him, maybe we have to getin Kovacic too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Kovacic isn't joining, the club have let it be known that's typical Italian BS media link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I dont have specific stats to back this up, and I might get laughed at but I think Markovic may do well under Klopp.....at the very least I'd like him to get a proper chance here, if only to prove he was never anything special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Andros Townsend!!!!!

NukaCola wrote: »
    I dont have specific stats to back this up, and I might get laughed at but I think Markovic may do well under Klopp.....at the very least I'd like him to get a proper chance here, if only to prove he was never anything special.
    The thing that can hold Markovic back is his inability to deal with the physicality of the Premier League, if he can toughen up then he should succeed at the club.

In an interview, Grujic said that Markovic had told him that he needs to prepare for the physicality of the league, so he is obviously aware of the need to toughen up. Grujic is a giant - he's taller than Klopp, when he adapts himself and Can should bring the much needed physicality to the side. Those two along with Matip should ensure that our pygmy side shouldn't be so easily dominated in the air.

Andros Townsend!!!!!

What earthly use could he be put to. He makes Ibe look like Bergkamp. Dropping his shoulder and bombing to his left is pretty much his only trick. If you started him on the left, he might actually cut out into the crowd over the advertising every time you play the ball to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The thing that can hold Markovic back is his inability to deal with the physicality of the Premier League, if he can toughen up then he should succeed at the club.

In an interview, Grujic said that Markovic had told him that he needs to prepare for the physicality of the league, so he is obviously aware of the need to toughen up. Grujic is a giant - he's taller than Klopp, when he adapts himself and Can should bring the much needed physicality to the side. Those two along with Matip should ensure that our pygmy side shouldn't be so easily dominated in the air.

I believe it was Matip that Klopp was saying is bigger than him, Grujic is a smidge smaller (though still massive obviously). It would be great if we could get that midfield power we've lacked for so long alright. Not since "the best midfield in the world" have our midfielders really physically bossed games.

Markovic this season already looks a lot broader than he did last season. It's important to remember with him that he was only 20 the bulk of the time he was with us...even just naturally he'd get a lot broader and stronger than he was then.

A decent weights program to go along with his natural development over the summer and i'd be a lot more confident about him handling premier league defenders this time.

What earthly use could he be put to. He makes Ibe look like Bergkamp. Dropping his shoulder and bombing to his left is pretty much his only trick. If you started him on the left, he might actually cut out into the crowd over the advertising every time you play the ball to him.

Well both us and City are linked to him tonight.

So if there is any truth to it both Klopp and Pep think he more than a shoulder droper.

He wouldn't be my first choice.

• Advertisement

Well both us and City are linked to him tonight.

So if there is any truth to it both Klopp and Pep think he more than a shoulder droper.

He wouldn't be my first choice.
    He'd be a cheap option. It was reported that his contract had a £10.5M release fee clause in the event of Newcastle being relegated.

His strike rate at Newcastle was 1 in 3, which puts him in Troy Deeney territory when extrapolated over a season!

Only having to pay £11M for a £25-30M asset - What's not to like about the deal? It really would be a coup to sign him from under the noses of Man City. ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Was Stewart Downing not enough of a lesson on one trick pony wingers?

May as well sign Aiden McGeady while we're at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He'd be a cheap option. It was reported that his contract had a £10.5M release fee clause in the event of Newcastle being relegated.

His strike rate at Newcastle was 1 in 3, which puts him in Troy Deeney territory when extrapolated over a season!

Only having to pay £11M for a £25-30M asset - What's not to like about the deal? It really would be a coup to sign him from under the noses of Man City. ;)

No interest in him to be honest. He's decent under circumstances which we rarely find ourselves in - with a whole pitch to run into on the break. He's one of those guys that's useful to have in your side, but we have a huge collection of those kinds of players already. if we're bringing in a wingforward type, bring in a bloody good one.

Whatever about Townsend signing for us, I just can't see him interesting Pep. Agent talk, for me, Clive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I think that selling Allen this window would be a huge mistake and could come back to bite us in the ass.

He's come in leaps and bounds under Klopp, moreso than anyone else I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This physicality thing is way overblown by people who want to sound like they know a bit.

Eden Hazard, David Silva and Riyad Mahrez would be three three very successful attacking midfielders in recent times and none of them would be that strong physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Vicxas wrote: »
    I think that selling Allen this window would be a huge mistake and could come back to bite us in the ass.

He's come in leaps and bounds under Klopp, moreso than anyone else I think.

Been excellent in the euro's too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Andros Townsend!!!!!

Is not joining Liverpool. I'd place the worlds biggest steak on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Don't sell Allen, start him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Andros Townsend? Rodgers still on the committee or something?
    That would be a truly awful signing, we already have Ibe filling in the headless chicken role.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Townsend had a fine end to the season for Newcastle, he was moving the ball forward when he got it and causing hassle for the opposing defence.
    He's not afraid to run at and try get past someone, something that most 'wingers' are afraid to do these days.

But I wouldn't want him here.

In relation to Henderson last night, he looked much more fit, but still has this problem of overhitting which I've noticed since he first came back from the injury.

Today on Twitter is #JoeAllenAppreciationDay it seems ;)

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Townsend had a fine end to the season for Newcastle, he was moving the ball forward when he got it and causing hassle for the opposing defence.
    He's not afraid to run at and try get past someone, something that most 'wingers' are afraid to do these days.

But I wouldn't want him here.

In relation to Henderson last night, he looked much more fit, but still has this problem of overhitting which I've noticed since he first came back from the injury.

He causes hassle to the opposition, in much the same way as beans cause my hoop hassle, momentarily unpleasant but imminently survivable.

We need players who cause goals, whether for themselves or their teammates, something he has a rotten record of doing, bar a short spell last season for the Mags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Townsend will be an English Markovic for us imo

Will be interesting to see how he fares under Klopp if we don't sell him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

James pierce today said klopp is keen on mane and is willing to bid 30 million pounds for him

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement