Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Mane would be a great addition

Townsend not so much but looks like a good price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

8-10 wrote: »
    Mane would be a great addition

Townsend not so much but looks like a good price

AnDROSS would be a good signing for a team that would give him regular football as his value wound not go below his current buy out but with us he would not get game time and we would prob end up selling him at a loss next summer.

It's a complete bull**** story anyway imo lfc are not interested and its his agent spining the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'd take Townsend at £8m, absolutely. Are people forgetting we have zero decent wingers? Sure he's not going to be a starter for us, but he'd be a very good impact sub and would offer some much needed width.

He isn't amazing, but he's miles ahead of Ibe, who doesn't look like developing much further than "meh".

Of course I'd want Mane signed snd leaning before we even go near it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

martyos121 wrote: »
    I'd take Townsend at £8m, absolutely. Are people forgetting we have zero decent wingers? Sure he's not going to be a starter for us, but he'd be a very good impact sub and would offer some much needed width.

He isn't amazing, but he's miles ahead of Ibe, who doesn't look like developing much further than "meh".

Of course I'd want Mane signed snd leaning before we even go near it though.

Markovic is miles better than Townsend. Lazar strikes me as someone who needs a Klopp hug more than most

Markovic is miles better than Townsend. Lazar strikes me as someone who needs a Klopp hug more than most

Townsend has proved himself more in the PL at this stage than Markovic has, fair enough Lazar has the potential, can't argue with that, but to say he's better than Townsend is plain wrong. We've seen nothing to suggest he is so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I'd take Townsend at £8m, absolutely. Are people forgetting we have zero decent wingers?

I don't see how Townsend will help in that regard.

I don't see how Townsend will help in that regard.

Here's how: one decent winger is more than zero decent wingers.

As I already said, I'd hope we go out and get Mane first before even going near it, but Townsend at £8m is good business, especially when you consider he moved in January for £12m and he's only improved since.

I'm in no way saying I'd expect him to compete for a starting spot, but he's an infinitely better option to bring off the bench than Ibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I thought we were done with buying squad filler and wanted people that would improve our first team???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

If Andros was of the required minerals he would still be at Spurs, not gonna happen anyway, better off discussing Mane tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The club have already dismissed Townsend link and said Klopp is still after Mane through their usual channel so let's move on.

If we sign Mane I can't see Markovic getting much game time.
    Mane has a great PL record and at 24 would have resale value, £30m wouldn't be at all out of the way.

Should nicely complement the Firmino, Coutinho, Milner goals contribution from midfield.

Can only presume Firmino will be better next year all going well after full PL season under his belt.

If we get Mane I can't see another striker (not suggesting Mane is a striker of course) coming in even allowing for Benteke leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How much is Mane worth in old money if Deeney is work £25/30m in new money???

You see? Mane at 30 million + Ibe (!) is going to be a bargain! As I say on the transfer thread if that deal happens it may just shock everyone into some sort of sense which would be bad news for getting a decent price for Benteke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

if they picked the team of the tournament after the group matches were played ,joe allen would be in it,he's been immense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

emmetkenny wrote: »
    How much is Mane worth in old money if Deeney is work £25/30m in new money???

Starting to feel a bitzimbabwe_inflation.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

corwill wrote: »
    Starting to feel a bitzimbabwe_inflation.jpg

Latest FA meeting

joker-burning-money.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

eagle eye wrote: »
    This physicality thing is way overblown by people who want to sound like they know a bit.

Eden Hazard, David Silva and Riyad Mahrez would be three three very successful attacking midfielders in recent times and none of them would be that strong physically.
    Are you suggesting that sports science is a load of BS? The Premier League is played at a higher pace than other European leagues so the players require greater stamina.

Looking at the three players you named, Hazard seems to be the exception.

Hazard:
    2014/15 : Started 38 league games, substituted 5 times.
    2015/16 : Started 25 league games, substituted 5 times, injured for 7 games.

Mahrez :
    2014/15 : Started 25 league games, substituted 11 times.
    2015/16 : Started 36 league games, substituted 21 times.

Silva:
    2014/15 : Started 32 league games, substituted 12 times, injured for 5 games.
    2015/16 : Started 22 league games, substituted 11 times, injured for 14 games.

The numbers suggest that there is a whole other level to the analysis of the game that most people are oblivious to. Mahrez is substituted in 50% of the games he plays. Silva has missed 25% of the last two league campaigns through injury and has been substituted in 43% of the games he started.

The likes of ProZone have monitored and analysed the performance of players for years. High intensity activities analysed include total high intensity running distance (THIR), total sprint distance (TSD) and the number and type of sprints the players make. THIR while in possession and without possession of the ball is also analysed.

Wide midfielders have consistently been dominant in the THIR numbers. The THIR and TSD numbers decline significantly during the 2nd half of games. The greatest fall off is found in wide midfield and attacking players - this may have an impact on the decision to substitute these types of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

If Mane is really our target what are we waiting for?

Have Spurs asked us to wait until they're back from holidays so they can jump on the bandwagon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

People take the physicality theory too serious!

Ye they may be subbed more than other players but goals & assists is what matters. I'd take any of those players over a player who runs himself into the ground (James McLean) with no end product

dogbert27 wrote: »
    If Mane is really our target what are we waiting for?

Have Spurs asked us to wait until they're back from holidays so they can jump on the bandwagon?
    Southampton have yet to appoint a new manager.

• Advertisement

Talisman wrote: »
    Southampton have yet to appoint a new manager.

You'd think the receptionist would be well able to overcharge the face off us in the interim.

Maybe the receptionist was part of Koeman's staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Zielinski is playing for poland now on tv3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Townsend has proved himself more in the PL at this stage than Markovic has, fair enough Lazar has the potential, can't argue with that, but to say he's better than Townsend is plain wrong. We've seen nothing to suggest he is so far.

Andros Townsend is decent in space with the field in front of him and a patch of grass to cut into and hit the ball really hard. He just doesn't have the technique to do much against a decent defense that are sitting back...we just end up with even more stupid frustrating smashing the ball into a wall of bodies.

Even ignoring the fact that Markovic has been quite good at football elsewhere, just what he's shown in the premierleague has offered much more than Townsend. It just sounds so fickle - 4 decent months football in a team tailor made for him, from a guy who has been about as 1 dimensional as players get, and he jumps ahead of a player who's already much better technically, and who we already actually own?

Here's how: one decent winger is more than zero decent wingers.

As I already said, I'd hope we go out and get Mane first before even going near it, but Townsend at £8m is good business, especially when you consider he moved in January for £12m and he's only improved since.

I'm in no way saying I'd expect him to compete for a starting spot, but he's an infinitely better option to bring off the bench than Ibe.

This is exactly the mistake we KEEP making over and over and is totally illogical. No more squad players. No more. It's the road to a bloated squad full of players that are grand, but not great. When we face the issue you're talking about, him being better than Ibe is irrelevent. If we're replacing Ibe don't just get someone a bit better, get the best in his position we can get. That's the only way to progress.

Townsend is a benchwarmer from the start and all he serves to do is block other talented players coming in, and youth coming up.

As for his value - it'll go straight back down when he can't get in the team, and we'll sell him for less. It's what always happens. It's great value for a team at his level.

(yes, i feel strongly on the buying of average/mediocre players)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

One thing that absolutely nobody can deny from tonight...

Joe Allen was absolutely magnificent against Russia. Yet again.

He is in a seriously good run of form.

I can't remember his last performance against Russia at all. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

ricero wrote: »
    Zielinski is playing for poland now on tv3

Hauled off at half time and his replacement scored within 10 minutes

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    nothing but sense

If I'd thanked that post any harder, I'd be getting the screen on the phone replaced.

Colemania wrote: »

Did you watch that game? I did, Poland were very back to front, Zielinski needs ball to feet and he was also stuck out on the right, Blaszczykowski (a winger) came on and scored - he is having a good tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I don't know what to say about this.....

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/744998863518437376

Every aspiring centre-back should get a DVD of Martin Skrtel tonight, organising, heading clear, tackling, intercepting & blocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Andros Townsend is decent in space with the field in front of him and a patch of grass to cut into and hit the ball really hard. He just doesn't have the technique to do much against a decent defense that are sitting back...we just end up with even more stupid frustrating smashing the ball into a wall of bodies.

Even ignoring the fact that Markovic has been quite good at football elsewhere, just what he's shown in the premierleague has offered much more than Townsend. It just sounds so fickle - 4 decent months football in a team tailor made for him, from a guy who has been about as 1 dimensional as players get, and he jumps ahead of a player who's already much better technically, and who we already actually own?

This is exactly the mistake we KEEP making over and over and is totally illogical. No more squad players. No more. It's the road to a bloated squad full of players that are grand, but not great. When we face the issue you're talking about, him being better than Ibe is irrelevent. If we're replacing Ibe don't just get someone a bit better, get the best in his position we can get. That's the only way to progress.

Townsend is a benchwarmer from the start and all he serves to do is block other talented players coming in, and youth coming up.

As for his value - it'll go straight back down when he can't get in the team, and we'll sell him for less. It's what always happens. It's great value for a team at his level.

(yes, i feel strongly on the buying of average/mediocre players)

Nail on head.

We have a squad full of players that we want replacing already because there are better options out there. Townsend would just be another name on this list.

Realistically, we should be upgrading on Ibe, Moreno and Skrtel with new starters in each position, not just options lest we end up in the exact same position in twelve months.

• Advertisement

Every aspiring centre-back should get a DVD of Martin Skrtel tonight, organising, heading clear, tackling, intercepting & blocking.

England played the entire game in front of Slovakia and Skrtel, he has no real trouble with that, we all know he is found out when playing against pace and space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I do - Henry Winter is a dickhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Grueller

Forward it to the turks?

Football is a game of opinions, sure, but you begin to wonder when you can find people advocating the sale of Coutinho and justifying the - unlikely - purchase of Andros Townsend.

mosstin wrote: »
    Football is a game of opinions, sure, but you begin to wonder when you can find people advocating the sale of Coutinho and justifying the - unlikely - purchase of Andros Townsend.

I really hope you're not lumping the two of those in together. Townsend at £8 isn't nearly as bad a bit of business as most of ye seem to think, but under no circumstances would I ever want to see Coutinho sold, barring of course Suarez going the other way to us. ;)

I really hope you're not lumping the two of those in together. Townsend at £8 isn't nearly as bad a bit of business as most of ye seem to think, but under no circumstances would I ever want to see Coutinho sold, barring of course Suarez going the other way to us. ;)

Not at all. I think Townsend would stink the place out, personally.

Not at all. I think Townsend would stink the place out, personally.

And you're well within your rights to think that of course, that seems to be the general consensus here too.

I've had the misfortune chance of watching every Newcastle match this season (family's team, no avoiding them as my second club) and he's nowhere near as awful as people here are making him out to be. All I was ever saying was I'd like him over Ibe, but only if we signed Mane first with Ibe going the other way. That way we end up vastly improving that position by getting rid of a poor enough winger and bringing in two better ones (Mane's position is debatable of course, he can really play anywhere behind the striker).

As far as the point made by Rebel I think that we'd lose money on Townsend in a few years, that is hugely unlikely, young English wingers in the PL who sell for less than £8m are beyond rare (don't say he's worse than Aaron Lennon).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Andros Townsend!! Jaysis lads, are we trying to cement that 7th position or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Is zielinski worth buying for £10m when we have joe allen in the form he is in?
    Really don't want to see Allen go, players like him should be rewarded for such a turnaround not sold.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

There is practically no chance of us signing Andros Townsend. If we do though I will be really irritated. I'd much prefer to see us play Ojo or keep Ibe than give him much game time.

5starpool wrote: »
    There is practically no chance of us signing Andros Townsend. If we do though I will be really irritated. I'd much prefer to see us play Ojo or keep Ibe than give him much game time.

I absolutely concur. Bring through youth over proven mediocrity any day.

Lads one of my mates wants to bring her boyfriend over for a match next year, looking at Chelsea at home in Feb. What would be the best way to go about getting tickets? tks

Anyone?

Ive always just been sorted by someone never bought the times Ive been there. By the looks of it she needs to buy some sort of membership and then they send an email when the tickets are for sale? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anyone?

Ive always just been sorted by someone never bought the times Ive been there. By the looks of it she needs to buy some sort of membership and then they send an email when the tickets are for sale? :confused:

You might want to check out here on boards and see if anyone can help you there.

Soccer Tickets & Travel

Anyone?

Also, PM Dub13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,667 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Anyone?

One expensive option is travel agaent that does then . Marathron i think it is

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Anyone?

The official way is:

1. Buy membership for about £27 per person for the season.
    2. In November sale (all Jan-May games) join the mad scramble of people at 8.15 am trying to get tickets bearing in mind that of the membership tickets for sale, only a % of them will be available to all members with a lot having gone to those who had attended a lot of tickets last season. Some can be returned to the club for a further sale but there is generally little notice given of this so you'd need to regularly check.

The alternative is to either see can you get some in the tickets and travel section here (or on Irish Kop but generally they don't give them to people who have just registered to ask for tickets) or else to pay through the nose for either official club hospitality or else via a travel agent who will include a hotel room and math ticket (but no travel) for a price based on 2 people sharing the room and buying tickets).

It's a pain in the hole generally in other words, unless you know the right people.

It's weird (and just like twitter behaves) that people are still mentioning Townsend as if he was a target 10 hours after it became clear he isn't and never was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I do - Henry Winter is a dickhead.
    #succinct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Colemania wrote: »

Did he play badly, I missed it. Is he actually signed yet though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

rob316 wrote: »
    Is zielinski worth buying for £10m when we have joe allen in the form he is in?
    Really don't want to see Allen go, players like him should be rewarded for such a turnaround not sold.

Ok people need to relax with the Joe Allen praise. It's 3 games. I know his form has improved vastly under Klopp but he is not the Messiah, which he will be likened to by the end of the tournament at this rate. Keep him sure but let's not stall our plans going forward for him. Even if we keep him there is still space for Zielinski imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement