Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not criticising Milik, looks like an intelligent player and has looked more dangerous than Lewandowski. Just noting that he missed a few chances, even our World Class, best striker in the league not named Aguero or Kane or Vardy misses his share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

much prefer Malik to Milik as a cheaper option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Whenever I see his name all I can think of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Milik would cost around €11m (not sure what that is in Sterling now? £8m?). I don't see why there's a need to go cheap on a striker, less than £8m won't get you much these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Righto the joe show is coming up.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Milik would cost around €11m (not sure what that is in Sterling now? £8m?). I don't see why there's a need to go cheap on a striker, less than £8m won't get you much these days.

Malik has more vitamin R though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

martyos121 wrote: »
    How many top four finishes for Everton in the few years preceding that? I believe there was one at our expense.

And how many after?

At the end of the day, it's a computer game and it should be treated as such. I'm not saying it doesn't have its merits for scouting, but nearly every club gets by fine without it.

Yes it is a computer game but I would argue that they get it right just as often as club's scouts do or maybe even more often, I mean no club in the world has 100% hit rate now do they? I haven't played FM in over ten years but for every Cherno Samba there were at least two Ronaldo's. They have spent decades compiling stats and attributes of players, alot of the time predicting correctly who will become stars, I don't see how it is any different to regular scouts doing the same. I've never understood this pompous attitude towards the game and anyone that mentions it. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

mormank wrote: »
    Yes it is a computer game but I would argue that they get it right just as often as club's scouts do or maybe even more often, I mean no club in the world has 100% hit rate now do they? I haven't played FM in over ten years but for every Cherno Samba there were at least two Ronaldo's. They have spent decades compiling stats and attributes of players, alot of the time predicting correctly who will become stars, I don't see how it is any different to regular scouts doing the same. I've never understood this pompous attitude towards the game and anyone that mentions it. :confused:

I play it religiously so you can go away with your "pompous attitude" nonsense. As I said already it has its merits, there's a huge database of player ratings and stats and it's an incredibly in-depth experience, but it's a computer game at the end of the day, it's not an exact simulation of real-life no matter how much you want it to be. Like all computer games, it follows patterns that simply don't apply in real life and so you can't account for the intangibles that you'd get in actual football.

Looking at a player's stats in FM and watching him play in real life are completely different things. As you mention a lot of the time they predicts stars, but just as often as they do that, they are hopelessly wide of the mark with others. I'd definitely wager a good amount that higher-level clubs who use traditional yet high-level player scouting (plenty of other databases out there than FM too btw) have a better hit-rate. If I'm wrong about that, by all means let me know, provided you have the evidence to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I have no idea what a draft is.

Ignorance is bliss.

It's simpler than you'd think, it's just like when you used to pick teams at school. All the new lads coming out of college effectively line up, and the worst teams get first pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So Mane seems deadset.

Personally I think it would be a clever signing.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Vicxas wrote: »
    So Mane seems deadset.

Personally I think it would be a clever signing.

Potentially. I like the idea of players like him rather than players like Benteke in the team anyhow, but he is a bit hot and cold. We already have one of those in Coutinho, but if Klopp wants to sign him that's good enough for me.

International football is grand and all, but I can't wait for the start of the new PL season, even if we will have 20 less games than last season :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

5starpool wrote: »
    International football is grand and all, but I can't wait for the start of the new PL season, even if we will have 20 less games than last season :(

And with the title wrapped up by Paddy's day, a lot of dead rubbers... 😞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

corwill wrote: »
    ... 😞

I've noticed a fair few of these strange extraneous characters, is it from a mobile phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I play it religiously so you can go away with your "pompous attitude" nonsense. As I said already it has its merits, there's a huge database of player ratings and stats and it's an incredibly in-depth experience, but it's a computer game at the end of the day, it's not an exact simulation of real-life no matter how much you want it to be. Like all computer games, it follows patterns that simply don't apply in real life and so you can't account for the intangibles that you'd get in actual football.

Looking at a player's stats in FM and watching him play in real life are completely different things. As you mention a lot of the time they predicts stars, but just as often as they do that, they are hopelessly wide of the mark with others. I'd definitely wager a good amount that higher-level clubs who use traditional yet high-level player scouting (plenty of other databases out there than FM too btw) have a better hit-rate. If I'm wrong about that, by all means let me know, provided you have the evidence to back it up.

Well maybe not you then but plenty have a pompous, condescending attitude towards it. Just look at the reaction when sky sports used it, many mocking them without even realising clubs have used the very same database. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

I've noticed a fair few of these strange extraneous characters, is it from a mobile phone?

I attempted to perpetrate an emoticon (specifically, a sad face) from my HTC Android phone. I suppose I should be grateful for boards hiding my shame. I blame the leffe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And with the title wrapped up by Paddy's day, a lot of dead rubbers... 😞

Straight into it too with our fixtures, get 7 or 8 points from those first few tough games and we're set, good run of games then until Christmas (I know).

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

K-9 wrote: »
    Straight into it too with our fixtures, get 7 or 8 points from those first few tough games and we're set, good run of games then until Christmas (I know).

The key to winning the league this season is to build up as many points as possible before the new year, because it'll take a while for Pep to implement his philosophy into Man City, but once it clicks (probably around Christmas time), they'll be near unbeatable until the next season.

I think if we win every game before and after Christmas though, we might be in with a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Mane would be a very good signing for us. Delivers in big games fast honest decent finisher.
    The sales of benteke should offset whatever we spend on him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Cl0-fDsUsAASjHd.jpg:large

Hope he keeps the goatee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I attempted to perpetrate an emoticon (specifically, a sad face) from my HTC Android phone. I suppose I should be grateful for boards hiding my shame. I blame the leffe.

latest?cb=20131102231616

A damn fine choice of beverage if I say so myself.

• Advertisement

Glico Man wrote: »
    latest?cb=20131102231616

A damn fine choice of beverage if I say so myself.

If you spot Leffe Bruin anywhere, send up a flare.

Where does he play? Not another number 10 hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Can and have only ever found it in Tesco, never on tap :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Jaysus lads, it's a slippery slope from here till lads are posting their breakfast menus. :pac:

Jaysus lads, it's a slippery slope from here till lads are posting their breakfast menus. :pac:

Beer for breakfast, everything a healthy body needs.

Completely unreliable sources linking Liverpool (among others) with Croat midfielder Marko Pjaca who I believe played well against Spain last week. From Dynamo Zagreb so wouldn't cost too much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

It's all getting very hipster in here, if that's still a thing. Keep the goatee you say? Leffe Bruin lager you say? And nobody taking a cut off Bobby for the pork pie hat (being worn indoors of course!!) and the MATCHING EARRINGS ffs!

This place is goin down the tubes. Where are all the meat and 2 veg football men gone? The Ireland threads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

garra wrote: »
    It's all getting very hipster in here, if that's still a thing. Keep the goatee you say? Leffe Bruin lager you say? And nobody taking a cut off Bobby for the pork pie hat (being worn indoors of course!!) and the MATCHING EARRINGS ffs!

This place is goin down the tubes. Where are all the meat and 2 veg football men gone? The Ireland threads?

Chatting up the barista as she serves them pulled pork baguettes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

ricero wrote: »
    Cl0-fDsUsAASjHd.jpg:large

Hope he keeps the goatee

Why is he dressing up as George Michael? Hope he didn't use permanent marker for that goatee.

• Advertisement

That's Paul Gauguin as a young man!

He looks like he's getting ready to star in a 1980's Gloria Estefan music video or got a gig as an extra in Miami Vice.

Skrtel giving away a penalty? Well I never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

5starpool wrote: »
    Skrtel giving away a penalty? Well I never.

Shows the difference between English refs and Euro refs..

Jonas hector looks fantastic at lb for germany. We should be all for trying to sign him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jonas hector looks fantastic at lb for germany. We should be all for trying to sign him

Would be a fantastic signing.

• Advertisement

Liverpool lads on the bench again :( Still maybe it's just as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I would be happy if we could tempt cresswell, knows the league, born in Liverpool, germans might be getting worried about brexit consequences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

sword1 wrote: »
    I would be happy if we could tempt cresswell, knows the league, born in Liverpool, germans might be getting worried about brexit consequences

He also used to be in our academy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The key to winning the league this season is to build up as many points as possible before the new year, because it'll take a while for Pep to implement his philosophy into Man City, but once it clicks (probably around Christmas time), they'll be near unbeatable until the next season.

I think if we win every game before and after Christmas though, we might be in with a chance.

I reckon if we win every game before and after Christmas we'll win the league :pac:

Looks like Benteke & Origi are now 3rd and 4th choice for Belgium now.

• Advertisement

I'm amazed Benteke is an option at all! :D As for Derek the fewer summer games he plays the better as long as he's a Liverpool player (and he isn't being sold in a summer window)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mane for 30m looks done now
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sadio-mane-liverpool-medical-ahead-11527904

Not too sure about this. Very good at his best but very inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Word on twitter is that mane will be having a medical tomorrow

Hopefully he works out if he signs

https://twitter.com/Kristian_Walsh/status/747180487186145281

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Also Canos looks to be a gonner

Hopefully he goes on to be a success

https://twitter.com/Kristian_Walsh/status/747180696314187777

I'm really really annoyed that Canos is off, I feel like I invested myself in him! :pac:

Bristol City is a weird one though - apparently he'd got used to life in London and all its attractions. You'd have thought Brentford would make an offer.

I like mane. Still very raw but under klopp i think he will thrive with his style.

Reckon we may see another signing also this week. Pre season training begins next saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Just saw the Mané news.

Cracking signing if it happens. Pacy, powerful, direct, with an eye for goal. Ideal for the style Klopp implements.

Not top tier yet, but has the tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Cant believe we are buying another Southampton. Not too excited tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

MD1990 wrote: »
    Mane for 30m looks done now
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sadio-mane-liverpool-medical-ahead-11527904

Not too sure about this. Very good at his best but very inconsistent.

Great news and I hope Klopp can work on that inconsistency.

Eye for the Mane chance you mean :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement