Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lads they have let all sorts in to the forum, the quality of posting in the Euro threads is awful, makes ye saps look like a good bunch :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Cant believe we are buying another Southampton. Not too excited tbh.

Some of the best players in our current side are from Southampton, a side with a track record of producing some great players. Are you not excited about it simply because he's from Southampton? :confused: I'd imagine if we signed him from Sevilla or Dortmund the same people questioning the signing would be drooling over him.

I think it's a fantastic singing for what it's worth. Mane is practically a blueprint of Klopp's style of play, it'd be very hard to handpick a better player in the world that'd actually want to join us who fits our system so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Imagine if he'd been signed from Salzburg 2 years ago for 12m!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Think Mane will be great under Klopp. The type of player he worked wonders with at Dortmund. Very explosive and direct if a little inconsistent. Scores goals too. A lot of money I guess but with the way the TV money has exploded he was always going to cost something like 25M minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Mane and matip both gone to African cup of nations next season?

Alright signing but 30 million is insane. Have to trust Klopp. Mikhiatrian(sp) joining Utd for 35 million. Great player but probably on twice the wages of Mané.

Think Mane will be great under Klopp. The type of player he worked wonders with at Dortmund. Very explosive and direct if a little inconsistent. Scores goals too. A lot of money I guess but with the way the TV money has exploded he was always going to cost something like 25M minimum.

Heard the fee could rise to £40m with add-ons. If those add-ons include league winners medals, CL winners medals and a Ballon D'Or award, I'd be ok with us paying them.

Worrying about the money paid is pointless as prices will be mind boggling this summer.

I don't care what they cost once Klopp gets the right type of player in.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Worrying about the money paid is pointless as prices will be mind boggling this summer.

I don't care what they cost once Klopp gets the right type of player in.

I never understood the argument about a player's cost. If the club like the player they'll spend whatever they have to, with some people you'd swear it was coming out of their own pockets.

It has been said a million times but £30m is a pittance for premier league clubs now with the new TV deal. £30m for a premier league proven player of Mane quality is about right.

• Advertisement

Dahoud and Liverpool mentioned again this evening apparently by Dom King (can't find his original tweet though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

martyos121 wrote: »
    I never understood the argument about a player's cost. If the club like the player they'll spend whatever they have to, with some people you'd swear it was coming out of their own pockets.

Well if clubs keep over paying it means less money for other players. Considering the amount we've wasted in the past Liverpool fans should be keenly aware that price does matter, otherwise Carroll or Benteke Don't really matter at all! If we overpay makes it harder to get rid as well, something we are probably going to find out with Benteke this Summer and that affects our budget.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

joe123 wrote: »
    Mane and matip both gone to African cup of nations next season?

Alright signing but 30 million is insane. Have to trust Klopp. Mikhiatrian(sp) joining Utd for 35 million. Great player but probably on twice the wages of Mané.

How is £30m insane in today's market with new TV deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Got a 1 in 3 goal scoring record which is excellent for a wide attacking player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

You'll probably see more ridiculous transfers than 30m on Mane this summer. The new broadcasting money means clubs won't have to sell unless the offer is exceptional.

I've never really paid much attention to Mane, but I see he has a good goalscoring record and he's only 24. Let Klopp work with him and hopefully he could bang in 15+ for us. We desperately need a winger with goals in him.

K-9 wrote: »
    Well if clubs keep over paying it means less money for other players. Considering the amount we've wasted in the past Liverpool fans should be keenly aware that price does matter, otherwise Carroll or Benteke Don't really matter at all! If we overpay makes it harder to get rid as well, something we are probably going to find out with Benteke this Summer and that affects our budget.

The prices only matter because some people want them to, it's absurd to get hung up over them IMO. I think it'd be better for the players and the fans if prices were kept strictly between the buying and selling parties because it takes a lot of needless pressure of the players to "live up to their price tags", but that's never going to happen unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Cant believe we are buying another Southampton. Not too excited tbh.

As discussed a couple of days ago, what's the issue with signing from Southampton. There a great producer of players, and some of our best player eg lovern, lallana and clyne were signed from there.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

So. Do people think we'll have Sturridge ahead of a trio of Mane, Coutinho and Firmino as our best starting XI? Leaves Ings, Origi and Lallana as rotation or backup for injury, assuming we can get rid of Benteke for a decent price. I think at most we'll sign 2 more, a left back and a midfielder, which will likely lead to Allen leaving.

I trust Klopp to get the most out of them and play above the sum of their parts, but it is still a lot more reserved in terms of transfers than a lot of other clubs. Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I genuinely thoughy we would get an exciting player this year, a big name. A marquee signing to really give the club lift going into the season.

Mane is just underwhelming. Squad player. I can already imagine the 'give him a season' comments. Why cant we go get a big player?

I thought players would want to play under Klopp? Trump up the money. Be ambitious.

I genuinely thoughy we would get an exciting player this year, a big name. A marquee signing to really give the club lift going into the season.

Mane is just underwhelming. Squad player. I can already imagine the 'give him a season' comments. Why cant we go get a big player?

I thought players would want to play under Klopp? Trump up the money. Be ambitious.

Spending big on a big name guarantees nothing. I get your frustrations but I want players who give us what we need and improve our starting XI, Mane does exactly that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

5starpool wrote: »
    So. Do people think we'll have Sturridge ahead of a trio of Mane, Coutinho and Firmino as our best starting XI? Leaves Ings, Origi and Lallana as rotation or backup for injury, assuming we can get rid of Benteke for a decent price. I think at most we'll sign 2 more, a left back and a midfielder, which will likely lead to Allen leaving.

I trust Klopp to get the most out of them and play above the sum of their parts, but it is still a lot more reserved in terms of transfers than a lot of other clubs. Interesting times ahead.

We have the same model as Arsenal really. How far that will take us remains to be seen.

Mane is a good player for us to add. But most of our trouble is at the back. A new starting GK, CB and LB is a big change to make.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Do they usually give a squad number when a player signs or at the start of the season, when they sign i think. Mane was no.10 at Southampton ,could he be no.8 now .only other option i see is wait to see if benteke is gone at the end of the start of the season so he can have 9.A 30 million signing is going to be having one of the main squad numbers.
    I think by the time the new season starts he is going to look like a bargain at 30 million ,i still would have liked to see a really special signing to get gerards number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

When have we ever done that? And when did Dortmund?

We hired Klopp for a reason and that's his ability to develop players. Mane on form is unplayable good but he's inconsistent. We're betting on Klopp to make him consistent. And when he does our position in the net spend league will be unassailable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Pyjamarama wrote: »

We hired Klopp for a reason and that's his ability to develop players. Mane on form is unplayable good but he's inconsistent. We're betting on Klopp to make him consistent. And when he does our position in the net spend league will be unassailable.

Oh god no, not that word!

*Runs for cover*

murpho999 wrote: »
    How is £30m insane in today's market with new TV deal?

Because it is insane. We over paid however way you look at it. You are speculating at the minute that prices are going to be crazily inflated. So far we have had the rumour/bid Leicester made for Troy Deeney and I can't really think of any other transfer where you would think its an insane amount. Xhaka was what 30 million? About right for him.

More than likely transfers will be inflated, but at the minute, its bout 10 million too much. In two years time we might be saying it was a good piece of business who knows.

Either way as long as these are Klopp targets I'm on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Dahoud and Liverpool mentioned again this evening apparently by Dom King (can't find his original tweet though).

Melissa Reddy spoke about the potential signing for Klopp etc.
    Dahoud is definitely on his radar but the talk was might have to wait until next year to get him.
    She's adamant that he will be one of the best midfielders in the world in the next 5 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I can't get excited over a signing unless he is already top tier. Mane certainly is not. He has potential and I don't think it's a bad signing by any means but not an exciting signing. He's just not that good (currently).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

K-9 wrote: »
    If we overpay makes it harder to get rid as well, something we are probably going to find out with Benteke this Summer and that affects our budget.
    Correct and he's not getting a sniff at game time for Belgium at the Euro's either. Looks like he's 4th choice behind Lukaku, the new 17 year old they brought on who scored the 2nd goal last night (looks a fine player) and our own Origi who seems to have fallen down to #3!!

The Euro shop window would have been handy for moving Benteke on for a reasonable fee but the likelihood is someone will come in last minute with a Balotelli type loan offer and that may be the only option we have other than holding onto him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Correct and he's not getting a sniff at game time for Belgium at the Euro's either. Looks like he's 4th choice behind Lukaku, the new 17 year old they brought on who scored the 2nd goal last night (looks a fine player) and our own Origi who seems to have fallen down to #3!!

Batshuayi? He's 22 and been linked with West Ham and Spurs for years at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The Euro shop window would have been handy for moving Benteke on for a reasonable fee but the likelihood is someone will come in last minute with a Balotelli type loan offer and that may be the only option we have other than holding onto him.
    Italian clubs can fcuk right off!

I'm not going to support any player going to Italy unless they come in with an articulated lorry of cash, paid in full up front!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't agree with this, Benteke was successful before joining us and can be successful somewhere else, just doesn't suit Klopp's style.

He will be sold and command a decent fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

mcgovern wrote: »
    Batshuayi? He's 22 and been linked with West Ham and Spurs for years at this stage.
    Oops, my bad. I thought I heard the commentator say he was only 17, just got his first start for Belgium in the pre tournament friendlies and was their "secret" weapon.

I had had a few bevvies earlier during the Ireland and Germany matches mind so the memory must be a bit fuzzier than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

2 seasons ago my fantasy football team name was ingscanonlygetbetter, last season it was mane behaving Chadli, I think I'll have to work aguero into my team name for next year.
    Mane is a good player he has an eye for goal and is an upgrade on the starting eleven. Now could we just sign a left back please.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Eveyone worrying about LB, sure Gomez is back from injury now too lads and he done well there the start of last year.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Eveyone worrying about LB, sure Gomez is back from injury now too lads and he done well there the start of last year.

He did very well defensively but was killing us on the attacking side as he kept coming inside or playing the ball back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

He did very well defensively but was killing us on the attacking side as he kept coming inside or playing the ball back.

Yes and Moreno frustrates going forward and back so Gomez is a better option

I genuinely thought we would get an exciting player this year, a big name. A marquee signing to really give the club lift going into the season.

I'm genuinely surprised that you are surprised and the lack of what you regard as a marquee name - who would join?, Klopp has never shown an interest in such types - his most expensive player was Man Utd bound Micky Ryan but he was from the Ukrainian league and could have flopped just as easily as succeeded.

Klopp wants a winger, a big strong lad and Sadio Mane is that player. He is buying for positions not "glamour"

Klopp wants a winger, a big strong lad and Sadio Mane is that player.

:confused: He's 5' 8"/5' 9" and barely 11 stone I'd say.

Well he is strong if not big (you know what I mean, bustling)!

Well he is strong if not big (you know what I mean, bustling)!

Sorry Harry not trying to bust your chops, just thought it was an odd description of him. I know what you mean, he does play pretty strong for his size.

• Advertisement

When can we actually sign players? July 1st?

Oh yes - victory for the Transfer Committee, another defeat for Rodgers

From the Echo today (I mentioned this before I think)
    Liverpool are likely to part with around £30m for the Senegalese international, a fee that would see him become one of the club’s most expensive players.

It could have been so different, though. Two years ago, Mane was identified at Red Bull Salzburg. It was there, under the guidance of now-Leverkusen boss Roger Schmidt, were Mane bagged 13 goals in a side that dominated their domestic league, scoring a staggering 110 goals in 36 games.

He was used to playing in a side with such abandon going forward, and a move to Liverpool – 101 goals in 2013-14, of course – made sense. Brendan Rodgers did not agree, and Southampton swooped for the forward in a £12m deal.

Two years on, with Klopp already an admirer from his time at Borussia Dortmund, the deal is nearing completion – for nearly £20m more than it should have been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Micky Ryan turned Liverpool down because of lack of CL I wonder how much money he is getting now coming to an English club without CL football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I would have thought people would understand Klopp's philosophy by now.
    He has never ever bought ready-made stars into his teams, with Mkhitaryan being the exception to the rule.

All the "Stars" at Dortmund were bought as unknowns and Klopp along with his backroom staff turned them into household names.

He will continue that trend with LFC and I'm happy with that. Klopp knows what he is doing over any of us.

Pyjamarama wrote: »

Agreed +1

Micky Ryan turned Liverpool down because of lack of CL I wonder how much money he is getting now coming to an English club without CL football.

Something along the lines of this:

17kdjxvdqvygyjpg.jpg

As good as Gomez was when he came in, hes coming back from a serious knee injury. Will be a while yet before he is fit to start week in week out and we are yet to see if he will kick off from where he left before the injury. That type of injury can really affect some players.

• Advertisement

Yes and Moreno frustrates going forward and back so Gomez is a better option

I'd prefer a lb that can do both similar level to Clyne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

£34m seems too much money for Sadio Mane. I hope Klopp knows what he is doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Mane, three years older than Sterling, 15m less. Similar enough players, tbh, although Mane can actually kick a ball with some power.

Happy enough with the signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

34m seems too much money for Sadio Mane. I hope Klopp knows what he is doing.

Dont worry its not your money.

Anyway the sale of benteke (hopefully) should cover most of the fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I do wonder could 34m have got Sane from Schalke instead. Mane is a good player the fee is too high but Benteke should get at least 20m back.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement