Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Where did the extra £4m come from it was £30m an hour ago now it's £34m?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

My only worry is the rumours that chilwell the young leicster city lb is our main target for lb. I think we need more experiance in this position. As i said yesterday hector of germany would be ideal or rodriquez of switzerland.

We have a new gk in karius and cb in matip which i am happy about. So a more experianced lb would tighten the defence along with these two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Klopp knows what he is doing over any of us.

By God I hope so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

That's Brexit for ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Rising to 36m supposedly, I wouldn't worry about the fee these days with the whole EPL inflation going on, he will be a decent signing for ye and fits in with Klopps style of play.

https://twitter.com/solentsport/status/747346137011499010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We have a lot of players who I think we will now sell Balotelli,Benteke,Markovic or Ibe,Allen(hope he stays),Skrtel,Ilori,Luis Alberto,Wisdom.
    Needing to get a few out to reduce the big squad we have leaves us is a poor position to get decent fee's for some of those players. Very poor squad planning that Klopp inherited from Rodgers. We will probably have to loan some of those players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

My concern with Mané is that he goes missing for months at a time. I've posted up his goals and assists for 15/16 below.. He went from 5th December to 20th March registering just 1 assist. (Thankfully we showed up to break his duck)

5iFsvUZ.png

A really streaky player - have to hope that Klopp gets him to a point where he's producing regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

He is needed and is good,thats all I care about,klopp won't win the league in one transfer window lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

That's how it works, by 2020, Hendersons initial fee will be 48m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Hyperinflation. 'Tis mad, Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Umaro wrote: »
    My concern with Mané is that he goes missing for months at a time. I've posted up his goals and assists for 15/16 below.. He went from 5th December to 20th March registering just 1 assist. (Thankfully we showed up

A really streaky player - have to hope that Klopp gets him to a point where he's producing regularly.

If he wasn't streaky he'd be plying his trade at real or barca. These are the players we need to buy. Players who have the attributes to become great but need coaching to get there. Preferably going forward we get them before Southampton do so we can save a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

New manager but the same problems.
    Not worth the near club record huge fee & deep down most of us know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ERG89 wrote: »

If Mane was sold to anyone this Summer I expected that would be the fee. For a player of his age about to enter his prime years. The "smaller" clubs in the Premier League are all loaded with TV money. They don't have to sell anyone if they don't want to. Unlike in the past. If you're looking for bargains you won't find them by buying from other Premier League clubs.

Klopp wants him. That's good enough for me. I won't worry about an extra 5M or so.

If Mane was sold to anyone this Summer I expected that would be the fee. For a player of his age about to enter his prime years. The "smaller" clubs in the Premier League are all loaded with TV money. They don't have to sell anyone if they don't want to. Unlike in the past. If you're looking for bargains you won't find them by buying from other Premier League clubs.

Klopp wants him. That's good enough for me. I won't worry about an extra 5M or so.

Let someone else pay it so but I wouldn't expect many to do so. I wouldn't be buying anything in the premier league when you look at some of the prices.
    He'll probably be playing in the African Cup of Nations too next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Whats this we business pale face I think is the quote here,
    i think he is good value in a rising market with premier league experience and wages that should not be crazy ,you have to look at the cost of the overall package for the length of the contract ,other factors are the uncertainty over the value of sterling, the club is as well to spend it now while it is worth something, if it is confirmed they are leaving the eu next week it could fall more.He has power and pace and on his good days is up there with the best, it about klopp getting more consistent performance now and we have to trust the manager knows best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Who cares how much. If Klopp can get him performing no one will care.

He'll probably be playing in the African Cup of Nations too next year.

That shouldn't influence buying him tbf

8-10 wrote: »

Definitely shouldn't influence it.

Ings /Origi /Sturridge /Firmino should be hopefully able to cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

A dramatic u-turn, with the devaluation of the pound, there is more value to be had buying in the premiership now, if you are buying abroad it's going to cost you a lot more pounds to buy those euros.

Who'd have thunk it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A dramatic u-turn, with the devaluation of the pound, there is more value to be had buying in the premiership now, if you are buying abroad it's going to cost you a lot more pounds to buy those euros.

Who'd have thunk it!

Not true as the Prem proven premium is far greater than the few cents that Sterling has lost against the Euro (if high quality players were being brought from the States they would cost far more)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Well it's lost ~10% of it's value, so on a deal like Mane thats ~3.5m, overnight.

8-10 wrote: »

I just feel if he is in good form he'll be missed and if he's struggling for form he won't improve that playing with Senegal.
    That fee means he's our big signing this summer and the pressure is on him like it was Benteke.
    Don't understand the pounds value decreasing helping justify fee's does it not mean we'll have less money now :(

Well it's lost ~10% of it's value, so on a deal like Mane thats ~3.5m, overnight.

But an equivalent German league player would cost £20m probably, so there we are millions saved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I just feel if he is in good form he'll be missed and if he's struggling for form he won't improve that playing with Senegal.
    That fee means he's our big signing this summer and the pressure is on him like it was Benteke.
    Don't understand the pounds value decreasing helping justify fee's does it not mean we'll have less money now :(

Your right the value of the pound doesn't justify the fee, what does is the fact we will guarantee a minimum of £160m from the TV deal for the next few years. The whole thing is over inflated, people need to realize this. £30m today is your £15m signing 4/5 years ago. I wouldn't bat an eyelid at a premier league club spending £30m today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Now we sit back and watch Leicester or Spurs or Southampton go buy a much better player than Mane for 12m in Europe.
    Usual story.

34 m for a guy that looks more like 34 than 24 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Now we sit back and watch Leicester or Spurs or Southampton go buy a much better player than Mane for 12m in Europe.
    Usual story.

34 m for a guy that looks more like 34 than 24 .

We've already bought/trying to buy plenty if cheaper players. This is a guy Klopp thinks he can turn into a superstar. I'm fine with it. There will always be "better value" players but I just want us to sign the ones who the manager thinks will suit us and that he can develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Time will tell if Mane is worth 30 odd million, The main question is does klopp want him? If the answer is yes then the most important thing is that we get him. I would have felt the same about any player brought to the club under Rodgers, the buck should stop with the manager when it comes to transfers.

Subotic supposedly leaving BD, would he be a good signing?

Subotic has never recovered from a couple of bad injuries, would still be better than Skrtel probably but that's what Matip is for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't get what people want.

Often read that FSG should not be penny pinching and if they have to pay over the odds to get a deal done then so be it.

Now they have done what many wanted and people are still not happy.

The question is, does he improve our squad, and I think that is a yes.

This entire pointless discussion is predicated on Micky Ryans transfer fee I suspect.
    LiverpoolFF
    @LiverpoolFF

Dom King- Mané has successfully completed his medical and will now finalise personal terms. #LFC
    2:24 PM - 27 Jun 2016

9 Retweets
    10 likes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Joyce says we may return to Southampton yet for Bertrand. He's solid but for what they will demand their is better out there for a lot less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

lads, the fee is almost irrelevant. his market value is probably £20-25m or so in a normal market. but with all the money around it's always going to be a bit higher.

it's meaningless.

plus we're probably only paying maybe £5-8m over the odds. it's nothing.

plus it's not my money.

rob316 wrote: »
    Joyce says we may return to Southampton yet for Bertrand. He's solid but for what they will demand their is better out there for a lot less.
    Bloody hell, would they not sign their tea lady and maybe buy their stadium whilst they're at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

FSG really should've just lodged a bid for the entire club at this stage.

Bertrand is too old as judged by the serious links for the LB slot so far - Chilwell, Robinson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I like how quick we're getting down to business, no bickering with agents or the likes.

Its nice.

I'd say Chilwell will be next on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Whatever about the fee or what we think, Im hoping Klopp was all like this to Ian Ayre when asked who he wanted to sign....

(replace "money" with "mané"......use your imagination dammit!)

FSG really should've just lodged a bid for the entire club at this stage.

It's not a bad point. Southampton are probably in the same range as Everton who are worth less than £180m, Southampton probably even cheaper than that!

It's kind of like adding yourself as an additional manager in Championship Manager, selling all your good players to the team you were already managing for peanuts (strategically giving the players fines for violent conduct or unprofessional behaviour and shipping them to the reserves if they don't want to move), while at the same time blowing your 2nd team's entire budget on the fringe players from your squad before retiring from the game and ploughing on with your new and improved Liverpool team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Milkers wrote: »
    I can't get excited over a signing unless he is already top tier. Mane certainly is not. He has potential and I don't think it's a bad signing by any means but not an exciting signing. He's just not that good (currently).

So just out of curiosity when was the last time you got excited about a signing, given your criteria you outlined in your post? And how did that work out? That player flopped right?? :p

Mane has outscored all of our midfielders in the past two seasons. If he clicks with us, which I think he will, he will be a revelation for us.

Edit: before you run straight to Suarez as your answer he was roughly the same price as Mane, allowing for inflation, and coming from a weaker league. Only Rebel advocated his signing and claimed he would become world class with us.

I know during the season that some Man Utd supporters expressed admiration for Mane and said they'd love to see Utd sign him. No doubt he's rubbish and not needed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

He did very well defensively but was killing us on the attacking side as he kept coming inside or playing the ball back.
    He did okay for a player out of position. He was easily found out against West Ham which was his first real test of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

We wanted him the same summer we got Moreno but Chelsea didn't want to sell to us.

I would just like it on record that I disagree with this post whole-heartedly, every word from beginning to end. Please feel free to quote me in 24 months.

P.s. personally I would give them an extra few million, a small price to pay to remove Andy as our transfer record signing, and I'm only half joking. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Time will tell if Mane is worth 30 odd million, The main question is does klopp want him? If the answer is yes then the most important thing is that we get him. I would have felt the same about any player brought to the club under Rodgers, the buck should stop with the manager when it comes to transfers.

Subotic supposedly leaving BD, would he be a good signing?

We were after Mane 2 years ago from Salzburg. The TC recommended we buy him, Rodgers vetoed that transfer. He went to Saints then for £12m and now he has progressed and we pay the inflated fee.

Klopp has been aware of Mane since his days at BVB as well.

In Klopp We Trust :)

I don't believe the pressure is on him like it was Benteke tho. We have more proven performers in the starting 11 now than when we signed Benteke imo. If Mane has a quiet first season we still have Coutinho, Firminho, Sturridge and Origi who will all score goals next season regardless of what Mane does. When we signed Benteke we had no idea how Firminho would turn out, Origi was far more raw than he appears now, coutinho wasn't contributing as many goals and hopefully sturridge will play more games this season than last, who knows. Either way the pressure will be less on Mane than it was on Benteke to hit the ground running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

My god what is with the obsession over transfer fees from some of ye? It's not coming out of your own pockets and doesn't affect any of us in any way. Klopp wants a player, Southampton want £34m for him, so the deal is done.

That's how it's always worked in football and how it always will, if a team wants a player enough, they'll pay whatever it takes. Nobody from Liverpool is coming over here doing a whip-round to raise the funds.

We were after Mane 2 years ago from Salzburg. The TC recommended we buy him, Rodgers vetoed that transfer. He went to Saints then for £12m and now he has progressed and we pay the inflated fee.

Klopp has been aware of Mane since his days at BVB as well.

In Klopp We Trust :)

I wouldn't slate Rodgers over this as all managers get some transfers wrong and right.

What pleases me here is that the Transfer committee identified him but it was left to the manager to make the decision. That's how it should be.

The TC has not been as bad as people have made out imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Umaro wrote: »
    My concern with Mané is that he goes missing for months at a time. I've posted up his goals and assists for 15/16 below.. He went from 5th December to 20th March registering just 1 assist. (Thankfully we showed up to break his duck)

5iFsvUZ.png

Southampton were a bit crap in general at that time or a fair bit of it anyway?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

martyos121 wrote: »
    My god what is with the obsession over transfer fees from some of ye? It's not coming out of your own pockets and doesn't affect any of us in any way. Klopp wants a player, Southampton want £34m for him, so the deal is done.

That's how it's always worked in football and how it always will, if a team wants a player enough, they'll pay whatever it takes. Nobody from Liverpool is coming over here doing a whip-round to raise the funds.

Its incredibly simple
    The pot is X pounds , over spending leaves less in the pot for the next buys.
    Only somebody who has never had a budget would not get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think it will leak in a few years. FSG are the secret owners of Southampton & have been laundering money through the club.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement