Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

Do you think that's it for us now? Or do you see any more signings coming in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Sheeeeit wrote: »

Left back surely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I think we need another CM and a LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

martyos121 wrote: »
    Nice watch, good leaning form with the the left arm, clenched fist with the thumbs up is a bold touch but it just works, right arm extended the perfect amount, measured yet suave facial expression.

Textbook lean. TEXTBOOK.

not sure how he passed a medical with that thumbs up!

think hes gonna be excellent addition to the team nevertheless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

CmCjutnWAAAQ3Tt.jpg

First day of training, Mane goes right up to Henderson. "Look at, look at me. I am the captain now."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Apparently, Liverpool have now signed EVERY Southampton player who has scored against them since they were promoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

We'll defo sign a LB of some description. Maybe a CM too but not sure they'll be able to get that Dahoud guy that they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I want LFC.tv to allow OwaynOTT to conduct the welcome interview. Tell Claire take a back seat on this one.

"Welcome fellow sap. As a Liverpool fan, I've noticed that a lot of fans out there are saying that you cost the club too much mané. Through use of a Panda gif, how would you like to respond to the fans, and in particular, the saps on boards.ie?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

GK done
    CB done
    CM done
    Wide attacker done

Zielinski and a LB are nailed on and that's it I;d say unless Dahoud can be prised from 'gladbach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

murpho999 wrote: »
    Apparently, Liverpool have now signed EVERY Southampton player who has scored against them since they were promoted.

Pelle, just from the last game we played them. A few may have understandably repressed that one tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

There's no point ****ing around over a few million north or south. Like the fiasco with Client Dempsey a couple of years back. We would only pay 6, but they wanted 7.
    FSG refused to sanction the money for Dempsey unless Carroll was sold. Rodgers tried to offload Henderson to Fulham in part exchange for Dempsey: £5M + Henderson for the 29 year old Dempsey who was in the last year of his contract. Henderson declined to be part of the deal thankfully so it died.

That carry on should have set off alarm bells with everybody that Rodgers was not to be trusted when it came to transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Very happy with the singing,dont care about the price,its not extortionate,far better than raheem will ever be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

murpho999 wrote: »

Schneiderlin, Rodriguez, Pelle too. Whoever came up with that is well wide of the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Very happy with the singing,dont care about the price,its not extortionate,far better than raheem will ever be

Well sterling is a great player if he pulls the finger out and actually gets his head down but I'm very happy to get mane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Did he do a few bars of "Ferry 'Cross the Mersey" or YNWA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Well sterling is a great player if he pulls the finger out and actually gets his head down but I'm very happy to get mane

He also may want to look into learning how to kick a ball seeing how he still appears dead set on a career as a professional footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Talisman wrote: »
    FSG refused to sanction the money for Dempsey unless Carroll was sold. Rodgers tried to offload Henderson to Fulham in part exchange for Dempsey: £5M + Henderson for the 29 year old Dempsey who was in the last year of his contract. Henderson declined to be part of the deal thankfully so it died.

That carry on should have set off alarm bells with everybody that Rodgers was not to be trusted when it came to transfers.
    Rodgers didn't get his own players until 2014 in Lallana,Lovren & Lambert. After the a terrible 14/15 season we somehow let Rodgers waste some more money on Benteke despite anyone who watched Liverpool knowing he wasn't suitable.Despite Although Clyne & Gomez were very good signings. Nearly all the PL signings were Rodgers buys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

United are signing Mkhitaryan :(

Remember we tried to sign him. Unreal player 18 goals, and 25 assists last season, he's going to united for 30M.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Remember we tried to sign him. Unreal player 18 goals, and 25 assists last season, he's going to united for 30M.

who cares. he wouldnt sign for us so he can f*ck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Didn't seem to cause LFC too many problems in the Europa league games against dortmund

Mkhitaryan will cost 30m ("who cares!?") he's 27 and doesn't like the press and counter game so he's no great loss really. Mane on the face of it suits our needs better, plays across the front, powerful, quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I suppose the problem with Mane is he seems to be just another option signing, not a straight into the first eleven player.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

K-9 wrote: »
    I suppose the problem with Mane is he seems to be just another option signing, not a straight into the first eleven player.

Defo a starter for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I doubt this. I reckon if we have a full squad to choose from, Mané is on the pitch every time. He has an eye for goal and pace to burn - that is a rarity in our attack.

If Klopp plays the same system as last season (and he seems to be signing players for that) then Mané, Coutinho and Firmino are the trio behind the striker. Id be stunned if we had any other plan in mind.

Personally, I don't know what to think of Mané. He fits the bill of fast, tricky and with an eye for goal so I should be a bit more excited than I am, but there's obvious question marks over his consistency. Hopefully Klopp can iron those out.

I would expect at least two more new arrivals before the new season starts - a left back and a centre back. Possibly a CM too but we are jam packed in that area already, so that'll only come if there are some sales.

I can see us sticking with the 4-2-3-1 that Klopp favoured last season then:

Mignolet/Karius
    Clyne/Flanagan -- Lovren/Gomez -- Matip/Sakho/new CB -- New LB/Moreno
    Can/Grujic/Lucas -- Henderson/Milner/Allen
    Mane/Markovic -- Coutinho/Lallana -- Firmino/Ojo/Ibe
    Sturridge/Ings/Origi

Some of those lads may leave too. But that's a well stocked side. Whether its any good or not is a debate for another day...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Mane is the perfect example of the madness of English football. 30m for him is a crazy amount of money. He's a good player, he will improve the squad and I'm mildly encouraged to see him join, but come on...for 30m you are looking for a game changer. A real top 10 in the league player and he is nowhere near that.

The Premier League has been bent out of shape by money. It makes a mockery of our own recruitment policies that we went and blew 27m on Lallana with some fairly mixed results (for that kind of money) and then decided to go back and blow 30m on effectively his replacement.

Maybe just spend 40 to 45m on one player? Rather than 57m for two.

We're still blundering about in the dark with transfers if this is where we are at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't think we're spending £30-36m on a squad player, remember Benteke's days are numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

ps..I hope we have irons in the fire at LB. I'd argue we need 2 and to be rid of Moron-o.

I wouldn't mind seeing Henderson leave, although I know it's not on. He's never to go be at the level we need to challenge for the league. He's a 6 out of 10 player, maybe 7 on his best day but never more. I'd rather keep Allen as a useful squad player and sell Henderson. Milner was good when he played wide, but as a CM he's pretty limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Mane is a good player lads, 30million isn't bad business. 24 years old, the lad is a weapon of a player, power, pace with good technical ability too. Hes not a speed merchant with little else to his game.

Player who can score goals from wide areas are hard to find and this guy is that and more.

If its a choice between himself or Gotze id choose Mane every day of the week. What makes it less palatable is the fact we could have had him for €12million a couple of seasons back.

We need pace in our side and this guy gives that to us, and a goal threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

"The 24-year-old Senegal striker's fee could rise to £36m, eclipsing the £35m paid in 2011 for Andy Carroll, the Reds' most expensive signing." -BBC

Good enough for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Mane is the perfect example of the madness of English football. 30m for him is a crazy amount of money. He's a good player, he will improve the squad and I'm mildly encouraged to see him join, but come on...for 30m you are looking for a game changer. A real top 10 in the league player and he is nowhere near that.

The Premier League has been bent out of shape by money. It makes a mockery of our own recruitment policies that we went and blew 27m on Lallana with some fairly mixed results (for that kind of money) and then decided to go back and blow 30m on effectively his replacement.

Maybe just spend 40 to 45m on one player? Rather than 57m for two.

We're still blundering about in the dark with transfers if this is where we are at.

Some solid points here, though I don't entirely agree with them all.

For one, for 30m you aren't getting a 'game changer/top 10 player' from anywhere. It doesn't matter if you sign from England or abroad, it just isn't the case anymore.

The PL saw an 11-fold inflation in transfer valuations from 1992 to 2010, with a big spike since. The fact that people don't factor this into deals makes it damn near impossible to actually debate transfers and valuations.

Money has blown the league wide open and it means that players that once went for 10-12m are now 20m+, that's just a fact. But, we still have hang-ups about going over milestones like 20m and 30m, despite the fact that it just equates to 10m or 15m from a few seasons ago which wouldn't make us bat an eyelid.

For e.g. Sterling cost City 50m, Aguero cost them 38m in 2011. Adjust that for inflation and Aguero's deal would be worth almost 70m - it's not entirely accurate to look at deals entirely isolated from eachother.

Interesting take here:
    https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/is-raheem-sterling-overpriced-football-inflation-and-the-transfer-window
    and
    https://tomkinstimes.com/2015/07/the-100-most-expensive-pl-players-after-inflation/

I would agree that it would be preferable to go all out and spend 45m on one player instead of 60m on two, but, again, its not that straightforward. Firstly, who do we sign? Who would sign for the club? And, obviously you're pulling budgets across years - try do it with your own income, it doesn't add up I'm afraid!

Our fanbase seems to be completely split right now between wanting the do things Klopp's way and sign the right players and spending mega wads of cash. Personally, i'm just glad the Euros kept me distracted from it all because its f*cking head-wrecking to see rumours, deals, valuations, players being written off and hailed as the saviour and everything in between.

I can't wait for September 1st...

TL/DR: F*cking inflation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think he'll start most games. Probably be a certain amount of rotation between himself, Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana. Mane is the only one with real pace though so that will benefit him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

ricero wrote: »
    Defo a starter for me

Yup, me too.
    Just imagine a world where we have players like Coutinho and Origi on the bench with Sturridge, Mane, Lallana and Firminho starting or vica versa, whatever. Real options on the bench. Not to mention when players get injured etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm happy man today and smiling to myself as that Hodgson was finally exposed for the fraud and coward that he is. Us Liverpool fans knew exactly what he was and finally every journalist that protected him has turned on him.

Call it petty but that man sucked everything good out of the club in the 20 league games he lasted and took the enjoyment out of it for us fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Oh and another thing i like about Mane is he loves playing against the big teams in the league. He destroyed Chelsea last season at Stamford bridge iirc, maybe it was the home game. He loves playing against Utd too.
    I personally can't wait to see our team with Sturridge, Mane, Coutinho and Firminho all in full flight with Klopp managing them, I'm sure it will be a sight to behold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Mkhitaryan will cost 30m ("who cares!?") he's 27 and doesn't like the press and counter game so he's no great loss really. Mane on the face of it suits our needs better, plays across the front, powerful, quick.

And? Are you trying to imply that's old or something? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Didn't seem to cause LFC too many problems in the Europa league games against dortmund

Over the 2 legs he scored one and set one up, and played well in general

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

rob316 wrote: »
    I'm happy man today and smiling to myself as that Hodgson was finally exposed for the fraud and coward that he is. Us Liverpool fans knew exactly what he was and finally every journalist that protected him has turned on him.

Call it petty but that man sucked everything good out of the club in the 20 league games he lasted and took the enjoyment out of it for us fans.

I simply do not understand, and never have understood, the accepted wisdom that he's a "decent bloke", heavily peddled by most of the big beasts of English football journalism. I'd never seen a manager so eager to throw his own players under a bus as with his time at LFC. A piss soaked sub-weasel.

Juan8 wrote: »

Only that he's 3 years older than Mane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Definitely a Klopp signing.
    Jürgen Klopp revealed his delight with the deal to bring Sadio Mane to Liverpool after the club completed the signing of a player the manager has tracked closely for a number of years.

The Senegal international today finalised a switch to Anfield from Southampton, where he scored 25 goals in 75 appearances during a two-year stay – including four strikes against the Reds last season.

Mane first caught Klopp’s eye at the 2012 Olympics football tournament as his country reached the quarter-finals, and the German continued to follow the forward’s progress as he impressed for Red Bull Salzburg and then the Saints.

Now the 24-year-old will enter the next stage of his career with Liverpool, and the boss is eager to begin working with his latest recruit when pre-season kicks off at Melwood later this week.

Klopp told Liverpoolfc.com: “I have followed Sadio for a lot of years since his impressive performances in the Olympics in 2012, and then watched his development in Austria and in his time at Southampton.

“Since I came here I have spoken to the staff a lot about him and have always felt he could be a very good signing for us. He has a lot of quality, works hard and has a very good goalscoring record.

“When I spoke to him I could tell that he was passionate about joining the club and playing for our fantastic fans. I think they will be just as excited about seeing him put on a Liverpool shirt as I am.

“It is great that we have managed to sign him so he can work with us from the first day of pre-season.”

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/225816-jurgen-klopp-i-ve-followed-sadio-mane-s-progress-for-years

I think he'll start most games. Probably be a certain amount of rotation between himself, Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana. Mane is the only one with real pace though so that will benefit him.

Well I suppose he gives a different option and if it means not relying on Lallana as much that's got to be a good thing. I suppose everybody thought Lallana would be a first eleven player and it hasn't really workes out, not knocking him but I think we all expected a bit more

I think when the injuries cleared in February we started to see for the first time some genuine squad depth on the bench, and that is just as important these days as big signings.

From reputable links it looks like another LB and CM at least. If we get rid of Benteke and Balotelli it still leaves us with Sturridge, Origi and Ings. It's fine but all 3 risky for various reasons.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Happy enough with signing Mane, much needed injection of pace into our team.
    Really want a CM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

A lot less games to play this season so we need a much smaller squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

corwill wrote: »
    I simply do not understand, and never have understood, the accepted wisdom that he's a "decent bloke", heavily peddled by most of the big beasts of English football journalism. I'd never seen a manager so eager to throw his own players under a bus as with his time at LFC. A piss soaked sub-weasel.

The players, the fans, anyone except himself he would blame. How could you blame old cuddly Woy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Hang on he's not a definite starter for Southampton but he's a definite starter for Liverpool? That can't be good.

Milkers wrote: »
    Hang on he's not a definite starter for Southampton but he's a definite starter for Liverpool? That can't be good.

Maybe if Soton had played him more he'd have taken them to the title! I don't think we expect him to start every game, but we expect him to be a regular.

Last season they had Davis, Long, Tadic, Mane, Austin, Pelle all for the forward positions

Mr.H wrote: »
    A lot less games to play this season so we need a much smaller squad

Well it's about strengthening and hopefully not pissing any off because the assumption is we'll have European football next year.

Will be interesting to see who is out the door, Ibe, Allen, Markovic, Mario, Skrtel, Benteke, possibly Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Knex. wrote: »
    I want LFC.tv to allow OwaynOTT to conduct the welcome interview. Tell Claire take a back seat on this one.

"Welcome fellow sap. As a Liverpool fan, I've noticed that a lot of fans out there are saying that you cost the club too much mané. Through use of a Panda gif, how would you like to respond to the fans, and in particular, the saps on boards.ie?"

Go away outta that, I'd be tots professional.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Schneiderlin, Rodriguez, Pelle too. Whoever came up with that is well wide of the mark.

And obviously not a Southampton player being signed by Liverpool.
    Well it's about strengthening and hopefully not pissing any off because the assumption is we'll have European football next year.

Will be interesting to see who is out the door, Ibe, Allen, Markovic, Mario, Skrtel, Benteke, possibly Lucas.

You'll prob want the Anfield cat out the door, you cat hating scum.

Happy enough with Mane signing. Direct, strong and full of desire and fight.
    Who cares about the money because it's all about the Mane Mane Mane, forget about the price tag, he's going make the kop dance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

Juan8 wrote: »

No that's his height, he's tiny, only 27cm tall but on tv he looks normal sized. The poster also stated he doesn't like the press which is where he was kept when growing up, Harry Potter movies terrify him. The surname is so long because it makes him feel bigger when he says it, his real name is Tom Tum.

He's only joining United because a racist Bavarian witch tried to cook him in a pie last season so he figured Manchester can't possibly be equally as racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not to worry we still have to go back to Southampton to sign Long for £35m :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Not to worry we still have to go back to Southampton to sign Long for £35m :D

Have we ever won a league title without an Irishman in the squad? Genuine question by the way, it seems we always had at least one back in the day.

Wouldn't take any of today's squad bar Randolph or possibly Hendrick on a free transfer at an absolute stretch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement