Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Skrtel is, was and will always be shíte!
    It'll be great to not have him in the squad, an absolute liability of a player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'd say we'll probably be after Subotic now, not that I'd be too interested in signing him anymore. Not the same player since his injuries, but Klopp loves him. Brought him through at Mainz and then brought him with him to Dortmund. Wouldn't be an awful choice as our fourth best centre half but he's not good enough to cement a starting place for us IMO.

I'm not pulling this out of the air either, he's heavily linked with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/684656/Liverpool-Christian-Benteke-Crystal-Palace-Premier-League-Transfer-Gossip-Rumours-News

We are looking for 30m for Benteke. If no one wants to pay that much for him I would keep him. Would still be a useful option to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Someone will buy him - he's a good player for the more in the air type of team - Palace, Chelsea, West Brom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

martyos121 wrote: »
    I'd say we'll probably be after Subotic now, not that I'd be too interested in signing him anymore. Not the same player since his injuries, but Klopp loves him. Brought him through at Mainz and then brought him with him to Dortmund. Wouldn't be an awful choice as our fourth best centre half but he's not good enough to cement a starting place for us IMO.

I'm not pulling this out of the air either, he's heavily linked with us.

Was Subotic at Man City a few years ago or am I mixing them up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Bellamy thoughts on Skrtel leaving:

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. I wish him well."

A fitting ode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Funny how Skrtel a great defender who should now be in his prime is useless. What happened the Skrtel we once knew. He seems to have lost all ability to do his job.
    Should be much wiser now, not so incompetent .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Was Subotic at Man City a few years ago or am I mixing them up?

Are you thinking of Stefan Savic of Atletico Madrid? Was at City for a year or so I think and then went to Fiorentina and then on to Atletico Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/684709/Jurgen-Klopp-Liverpool-Martin-Skrtel-apologises-Instagram-post

It wasn't me it was the one armed man
    When I came up there was a man in my house, find that man !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Colemania wrote: »
    Are you thinking of Stefan Savic of Atletico Madrid? Was at City for a year or so I think and then went to Fiorentina and then on to Atletico Madrid.

Possibly Nastasic who went to shalke...

• Advertisement

Not of any real concern to us but Gotze back to BVB is being floated again this evening,

I think most of you are off your heads.

Skrtel was in a first choice pairing, in central defence, for 4 of the last 5 Liverpool managers.

Always tried his best and that was good enough for the majority of the time. Ridiculous that people think they know more than Benitez, Dalglish and Rodgers - but you do know more than Hodgson.

He ALWAYS put his body on the line for us. He never pulled out of a tackle fearing injury. He didn't turn his back on a shot fearing whatever it is other defenders fear. He ALWAYS put his head in. I've no real bad memories of Skrtel bar the mistakes that EVERY footballer makes during a career.

The guy tried his best and as a fan I can't ask for anything more. At that point it's up to the manager.

He wasn't Carragher and he wasn't Hyppia and I won't miss him but I won't ridicule him for trying.

Colemania wrote: »

Yea I think that's the one. I knew I was mad :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

He's a good defender in the right system.

We had that system for a while but don't anymore.

A high line and attacking fullbacks will never be his cup of tea, more a deep (very,very deep) line and actual fullbacks and not auxiliary attackers.

If you can't adapt to systems then you're not a good defender.

He was always ropey, prone to mistakes, fouling and giving away penalties.
    He got away with a lot for having Carragher beside him to mop things up and I think he has been found out since Carragher retired.

Only plus was he was a great header of the ball and could score from set pieces.

He has been poor in the Euros as well. Our defence is better without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Klopp values Moreno's speed, control & continuous attacking width & at 23 sees the development potential in him. #lfc (Neil Jones - Echo)

Disappointed we aren't looking for an upgrade, while he has some good attributes, the lad is brainless defensively. Really hope Klopp can work his magic, Chilwell seems to be no1 LB target to provide cover for Moreno.

Joyce says Mane is our main signing.

Chilwell and Zielinski and its looks we are done folks. Don't know if its enough with teams above us strengthening considerably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Now that it's clear Skrtel's going, we badly need another CB; Lovren, Sakho and Matip is not enough for a squad imo.

Would love to see us having a crack at Niklas Süle from Hoffenheim.

I'm not sure...we have Joe Gomez as well as a pretty solid fourth choice.

I think we'll only get another if there's some issue over Sakho, but if he's allowed to play, I think 4 senior CB's is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

38 Premier league games
    at least 2 Cup games

40 Games (at least) this season means we need a far lesser squad than usual.

I would assume we will keep a small squad with us adding to it in 2017 if (hopefully) need be.

keepers
    Karius, Migs, Bogdan

full backs
    Moreno, Clyne, Flanno

center backs
    Matip, Sakho, Lovren, Gomez, Skrtel, Ilori, Wisdom

center mids
    Hendo, Milner, Can, Grujic, Allen, Lucas

attacking mids
    Mane, Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino, Ibe, Alberto, Marko

strikers
    Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Balo, Benteke

Unless we see players leave I cant see much more coming in.

We only need a regular XI who will have a week every games to prepare for the next game. Maybe 18-20 players in the squad?

more than that and you have an unhappy squad and one that isnt going to gel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

He has now apologized saying it was a friend of his who put up the comments

Even if it was a 'friend' of his that put up the comments I still lost respect for him because he keeps company with such a low life who would think it is acceptable behaviour to post something like that on his professional footballer friend's instagram. I was one of those who was grateful for his service but after this whole debacle, regardless of who actually put up those comments I am firmly over the moon that he is leaving. Will be great to have someone with such low personal morals/standards out of the team tbh. Rodger's should have replaced him, glad Klopp isn't messing around and is getting rid of the chaff.

Now that it's clear Skrtel's going, we badly need another CB; Lovren, Sakho and Matip is not enough for a squad imo.

Would love to see us having a crack at Niklas Süle from Hoffenheim.

I would also love for us to sign Sule, championship manager told me a long time that he will become a beast of a defender. It has also told me that Youri Tielemans of Anderlecht, Corentin Tolisso of Lyon and Riechedly Bazoer of Ajax will all grace the top levels of sport both internationally and at club level. It would be an interesting experiment if someone were to bookmark this post to be revisited in 5 years or so. I would be willing to bet that at least 3 if not all of these players will play for one of Europe's biggest clubs in their careers. Could shut up all those Champ/Football manager haters up at least. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Mr.H wrote: »
    38 Premier league games
    at least 2 Cup games

40 Games (at least) this season means we need a far lesser squad than usual.

I would assume we will keep a small squad with us adding to it in 2017 if (hopefully) need be.

keepers
    Karius, Migs, Bogdan

full backs
    Moreno, Clyne, Flanno

center backs
    Matip, Sakho, Lovren, Gomez, Skrtel, Ilori, Wisdom

center mids
    Hendo, Milner, Can, Grujic, Allen, Lucas

attacking mids
    Mane, Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino, Ibe, Alberto, Marko

strikers
    Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Balo, Benteke

Unless we see players leave I cant see much more coming in.

We only need a regular XI who will have a week every games to prepare for the next game. Maybe 18-20 players in the squad?

more than that and you have an unhappy squad and one that isnt going to gel

Have highlighted the players I expect to leave (that's one of Allen and Lucas btw - we're just too busy in that part of the pitch, I don't want either gone personally) and I think leaves gaps at CB and LB.

Would be disappointed to see us short in those roles at the end of the window really.

Have highlighted the players I expect to leave (that's one of Allen and Lucas btw - we're just too busy in that part of the pitch, I don't want either gone personally) and I think leaves gaps at CB and LB.

Would be disappointed to see us short in those roles at the end of the window really.

Alberto has had a decent season in Spain. We might see a profit on him after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jerome Sinclair is off to Watford, the last of the Aidy Bunch:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/225879-reds-reach-sinclair-agreement-with-watford
    Liverpool Football Club can confirm that an agreement has been reached with Watford for the transfer of striker Jerome Sinclair.

The 19-year-old has secured a move to Vicarage Road upon the expiry of his Reds contract but, as he is under the age of 24, his registration would have been subject to compensation in the form of a development fee.

However, following amicable and professional discussions between Watford and Liverpool, the clubs have reached an agreement regarding a transfer.​

Liverpool would like to wish Jerome all the best in his new career with Watford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Not too annoyed about that. Sinclair's progression has stalled a lot in recent years because he has no outstanding attribute. Would be surprised if it makes it in the PL.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

Coutinho & Firmino haven't been called up to the Brazil Olympics squad. Delighted they're both getting a full pre season with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    Coutinho & Firmino haven't been called up to the Brazil Olympics squad. Delighted they're both getting a full pre season with us.

Great news, expecting big things from Firmino next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Well at least we will get something for him.

Paul Joyce did an update of Benteke story which suggests that's now very likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Firminos been on the beer all summer anyway judging from his snapchats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

You gotta love West Ham, serial buyers of Liverpool players and the club we do most transfers with, 12 out, 4 in.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-club-liverpool-transfer-business-11545134

Southampton are down the list with 7 players transferred, 6 in, 1 out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

If was thinking that if the club do manage to sell the likes of benteke and a few more in the squad we will probaly break even or make a profit.

• Advertisement

NO NET SPEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Sheeeeit wrote: »

And they are avoiding exposure to the Zika virus - like our golfers - which is a huge relief to all concerned I am sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

garra wrote: »
    And they are avoiding exposure to the Zika virus - like our golfers - which is a huge relief to all concerned I am sure.

Presumably they went back to Brazil to see their families during the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Still signing the "next" I see.

We have signed the next Martin Odegaard 15 year old Edvard Sandvik Tagseth who his coaches say is the greatest talent they have ever seen a more complete player Odegaard was at that age.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Really looking forward to seeing Ings under Klopp. Hopefully stays injury free and gets a long stint in the starting XI

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Still signing the "next" I see.

We have signed the next Martin Odegaard 15 year old Edvard Sandvik Tagseth who his coaches say is the greatest talent they have ever seen a more complete player Odegaard was at that age.

He'll probably be the next player that Harry gives loads of updates on, but ultimately doesn't make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Just saw a tweet from mane praising allah and i thought thankfully Ramadan is not during the season, there must be a good few Muslim players at the euro s ,it is Ramadan now isn't it, how could you play football if you are not allowed take a drink of water from dawn till dusk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

5starpool wrote: »
    He'll probably be the next player that Harry gives loads of updates on, but ultimately doesn't make it.

Campaign to stop Harry doing updates on the youths.

Worked for Brexit.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

K-9 wrote: »

Worked for Brexit.
    Leave Harry alone!

If you need to blame someone, blame that Mike65 lad.

Every single player he tipped for the top is in non league soccer now:pac:

Glad he's gone, tbh:D

K-9 wrote: »

Worked for Brexit.

:D Grim Reaper of the Academy I am!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

sword1 wrote: »
    Just saw a tweet from mane praising allah and i thought thankfully Ramadan is not during the season, there must be a good few Muslim players at the euro s ,it is Ramadan now isn't it, how could you play football if you are not allowed take a drink of water from dawn till dusk

I wondered about this with the likes of Saudi Arabia and Iran playing in the World Cup.

Apparently they are absolved as exceptions are made for people 'in battle'. How football qualifies as battle I'm not entirely sure, though - they're unlikely to face Millwall.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ramadan takes place in late May/June (of the Western Christian calender) so not really a pressing matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Vicxas wrote: »
    Jerome Sinclair is off to Watford, the last of the Aidy Bunch:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/225879-reds-reach-sinclair-agreement-with-watford

He seemed to fancy himself a lot. Some of these young lads need a serious reality check and I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in a team that will expect a lot more from him than we ever did, and instantly as well.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ramadan takes place in late May/June (of the Western Christian calender) so not really a pressing matter

Changes every year by a week or 2 I think, so in a few years it will be in the latter part of the season, and so on. Sportspeople are generally allowed to be exempt in most cases I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

mormank wrote: »
    I would also love for us to sign Sule, championship manager told me a long time that he will become a beast of a defender. It has also told me that Youri Tielemans of Anderlecht, Corentin Tolisso of Lyon and Riechedly Bazoer of Ajax will all grace the top levels of sport both internationally and at club level.

Having seen him play a good number of times I can confirm that Bazoer is an absolute beast of a player who will probably end up at one of the big Spanish teams after a stint at the likes of Juve.

I don't think Liverpool will be in for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Mané will be gone to the African Cup of Nations in the new year won't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

joe123 wrote: »

Yes Senegal has walked their qualifying group 5 wins out of 5 so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

joe123 wrote: »

We'll have the league more or less wrapped up by then, great chance to give the young lads a run out. Our year baby.

Changes every year by a week or 2 I think, so in a few years it will be in the latter part of the season, and so on. Sportspeople are generally allowed to be exempt in most cases I think.

My younger brother (The Arsenal fan/black sheep of the family) was telling me the other day that Ozil told Joachim Löw that he would rather quit playing football than not observe Ramadan, so he is suffering through and I'm sure there plenty of others doing it that we are not aware of as I've heard similar stories in the past.

• Advertisement

Its May/June this year so if it moves forward a bit every year then by the time it reaches mid-late August he'll have left the club anyway!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement