Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Lets start the day off with a laugh...
    Balotelli: "I have underperformed due to injuries and other reasons. But I want to improve and get to Ballon d Or levels."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is he licking toads or something :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

4 years ago he had that good game.

Never forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

There's been a lot of discussion over the last week or so, here and elsewhere, about transfer fees, sparked by the Mane deal, and now Benteke's seemingly inevitable departure.

I saw this morning on one of the gossip urinal columns, BBC quoting the Mirror, that Fulham want £15m from Wednesday for Ross feckin' McCormack.

Hard to know how to frame a sensible discussion about transfer fees in a world that makes that little sense.

Hat trick is nailed on I'd imagine.

I still feel queasy thinking about what he did to Squirtel and Dagger back in December 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

daithijjj wrote: »
    Allen is ok to have in certain types of games. Unfortunately he is next to useless in physical games, which the EPL is flush with. A starting Allen every week results in us finishing 6th/7th/8th tops imho.

Never be a better time to sell. Could easily be replaced and id be amazed/disappointed if Klopp didnt have a handfull of players in mind to come in. I also include Lucas in the out bracket. Sentiment reveals bad decisions more often than good ones. We have too many 'squad' players who get more starts than they should. That's why we have no European football in the coming season. Im expecting some ruthlessness over next couple of windows in terms of exits.
    You would probably prefer Fellaini in midfield then. Look at Kante the best DM last season in the PL Verrati,Iniesta,Cazorla,Xavi,Thiago & Modric many of the best CM's are small & most likely useless in these fantasy physical games you speak of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'd only play Allen in games that would be expected to be tight, the likes of top six and away fixtures.

I still wouldn't rely on him to be adding any goals to the team, Imo a midfielder should be getting at least 4 or 5 goals a season. Allen will never produce those sort of figures.

Maybe it is a good time to cash in on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If he can't face up to who he is and what his problems are he clearly isn't going to be even competent, never mind a ****ing ballon d'or winner.

It's frustrating with his talent, but the will and determination required to be a professional athlete are just as rare as the talent.

We only see situations like Balotelli when they've got such blindingly incredible talent that they've been able to spoof their way through their early careers.

Still, if you see how the likes of Ben Arfa can seemingly turn themselves around in a single year, there's always hope.

Just not here.

He should head back to Italy, play for a mid-table team (preferably in the more cosmopolitan parts of the country to avoid racism) and try and sort his **** out.
    Nobody would make money from it, but it's just about his only chance at salvaging anything from his career.

No brainer to keep Allen.

What would it cost to replace him these days?

If he can wants to leave well that's a different story.

Central midfield is still very flakey at times so I'd be holding on to any decent players we have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lord above £50m for John stones city are going to pay. Mane an absolute bargain at that rate

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    You would probably prefer Fellaini in midfield then. Look at Kante the best DM last season in the PL Verrati,Iniesta,Cazorla,Xavi,Thiago & Modric many of the best CM's are small & most likely useless in these fantasy physical games you speak of.

Unfortunately for Allen, he makes demands on others around him to contribute to the game in ways none of those you've mentioned do - they're all creative players with some combination of much better passing, dribbling, vision, short and long range finishing or tackling.

The thing about Allen is that he's a continental style footballer in a land of oafs.

There's nothing particularly remarkable about his skill if you compare his to players from nations where they value more than being big and fast.
    He'd slot into a Spanish or Italian midfield no problem. He wouldn't get within an ass's roar of their national teams though, because he has the baseline level of skill they'd expect from a top division footballer in those countries and not the attributes on top of that which make them stand out.

International football is about Championship level for 95% of teams, including Wales. In terms of performances, there's a few South American teams and Germany who're in any way comparable in both skill and togetherness to an elite European club side. It's no longer a good barometer of quality.

Allen has been a good player for us, and he's useful to have because he's versatile and you can rely on him to play football. He's good at breaking the press with his movement, calmness and short game. He's tenacious enough to offset some of his lack of physicality.
    But there's no goals, no assists, no directness, no pace, no strength.

I'd happily keep him on indefinitely. I've always liked him. Particularly if we had European football, I think he'd be a good asset to the squad. But we don't, he needs to be playing every week at this stage and he very much is several positions down the pecking order.
    I don't necessarily think anyone will get the boot this summer - there've been few enough concrete rumours and I doubt Klopp will mind having lots of options while he gets a feel for the new lads, but despite his good showing at the Euros I don't see his long-term future here.

rob316 wrote: »
    Lord above £50m for John stones city are going to pay. Mane an absolute bargain at that rate

That would be hilarious. He was very ordinary last season

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    That would be hilarious. He was very ordinary last season

You'd give him a chance under a manager like koeman who can organise a defence but I have seen nothing so far to suggest he will become the top player we keep hearing about.

Gbear wrote: »
    Unfortunately for Allen, he makes demands on others around him to contribute to the game in ways none of those you've mentioned do - they're all creative players with some combination of much better passing, dribbling, vision, short and long range finishing or tackling.

The thing about Allen is that he's a continental style footballer in a land of oafs.

There's nothing particularly remarkable about his skill if you compare his to players from nations where they value more than being big and fast.
    He'd slot into a Spanish or Italian midfield no problem. He wouldn't get within an ass's roar of their national teams though, because he has the baseline level of skill they'd expect from a top division footballer in those countries and not the attributes on top of that which make them stand out.

International football is about Championship level for 95% of teams, including Wales. In terms of performances, there's a few South American teams and Germany who're in any way comparable in both skill and togetherness to an elite European club side. It's no longer a good barometer of quality.

Allen has been a good player for us, and he's useful to have because he's versatile and you can rely on him to play football. He's good at breaking the press with his movement, calmness and short game. He's tenacious enough to offset some of his lack of physicality.
    But there's no goals, no assists, no directness, no pace, no strength.

I'd happily keep him on indefinitely. I've always liked him. Particularly if we had European football, I think he'd be a good asset to the squad. But we don't, he needs to be playing every week at this stage and he very much is several positions down the pecking order.
    I don't necessarily think anyone will get the boot this summer - there've been few enough concrete rumours and I doubt Klopp will mind having lots of options while he gets a feel for the new lads, but despite his good showing at the Euros I don't see his long-term future here.

Allen is an all rounder. He doesn't excel in the qualities listed except passing but does them all well. He is also by far our best CM playing in tight spaces.

Also pretty sure he could/would make the Italy squad too but not the first 11. Possibly ahead of Sturaro & Parolo in the squad. Apart from Can with the CM's we have he is not for sure much behind Milner,Henderson or Grujic at all.

He might want to leave for first team football but to let him go for 10m would be too small despite only a year left. Should be looking for 15-20m.

Allen is an all rounder. He doesn't excel in the qualities listed except passing but does them all well. He is also by far our best CM playing in tight spaces.

Also pretty sure he could/would make the Italy squad too but not the first 11. Possibly ahead of Sturaro & Parolo in the squad. Apart from Can with the CM's we have he is not for sure much behind Milner,Henderson or Grujic at all.

He might want to leave for first team football but to let him go for 10m would be too small despite only a year left. Should be looking for 15-20m.

He is behind Milner and Hendo because they can get 15-20 goals/assists each and presumably Grujic isn't being brought in to play tiddlywinks.
    I can see him being ahead of Grujic and Zielinski if he hangs around, but only until they find their feet.

He is an all-rounder, and that's what makes him a great squad option at this level, but his slight edge on the ball isn't enough to make up the ground on Hendo or Milner in pace, strength, fitness, goals, assists and all that.

Hendo suffers from this "jack of all trades, master of none" thing as well, and he doesn't look like he'll ever be absolutely top class, but he does that and gets goals and assists.

You can have too many generic midfield lads. Some of them need defined roles unless the generic ones are generically brilliant, like Gerrard or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Allen would be ahead of Milner for CM definitely for me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool Allen needs his Liverpool Ramsey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Reports from germany today is that dahoud has rejected a contract extension and lfc are to bid 30 million euros for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Incredible piece of business if Liverpool get him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Sky TV money effect I would guess every club in the world bar China will want a bigger fee from a PL club.

https://twitter.com/neiljonesecho/status/749206948902473729

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

The Sky TV money effect I would guess every club in the world bar China will want a bigger fee from a PL club.

Utterly bored with this bullshit deal already.

Its more to do with Udinese wanting to keep the better players in Serie A rather than lose them to the PL.

rob316 wrote: »
    Its more to do with Udinese wanting to keep the better players in Serie A rather than lose them to the PL.

:confused: you'd better explain that.

Pozzo family own Watford, Udinese & Granada. I'm sure there priority is Watford with the TV money of the PL. Maybe they are annoyed they had to pay 4m for Sinclair who has nearly no professional experience despite being 20 soon & his contract was expired so want to mess Liverpool around. Udinese & Napoli also have a good relationship as well with many players being transfered between each club.

:confused: you'd better explain that.

Pozzo or the chairman I think is quoted as saying the same before, also they have a very good relationship between the two clubs.

• Advertisement

Pozzo family own Watford, Udinese & Granada. I'm sure there priority is Watford with the TV money of the PL. Maybe they are annoyed they had to pay 4m for Sinclair who has nearly no professional experience despite being 20 soon & his contract was expired so want to mess Liverpool around. Udinese & Napoli also have a good relationship as well with many players being transfered between each club.

Well they wanted Sinclair, were they expecting to get him for nowt. Oh wait - Italians....! :D

Anyway here's some Dahoud news

http://www.express.de/sport/fussball/borussia-moenchengladbach/liverpool-klopft-an-neuer-alarm-bei-borussia-moenchengladbach-24329748

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I've thought this for about 18 months, and nothing I've seen has changed my mind since.

Ashley Williams would be an extremely shrewd signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

SlickRic wrote: »
    I've thought this for about 18 months, and nothing I've seen has changed my mind since.

Ashley Williams would be an extremely shrewd signing.

Yes, about 18 months ago.

mosstin wrote: »
    Yes, about 18 months ago.

Unfortunately, I agree, he's 32 in August, with 2 more years to run on his contract. Would have been a decent signing for us or half a dozen other clubs in the top half up to the start of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

3761f5672349033a4aca0f0bc0bcd49c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

never heard a peep about this dahoud fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Seem to recall plenty of disgust whenever we would get linked to Williams, which was every window under Rogers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

F*ck off Ashley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Remember Williams being incredibly dirty every game back when Luis was about.

I remember Luis being incredibly dirty every game back when Luis was about.

It was a good thing.

We're not going to win anything in a fair fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Mkhitaryan joining United, a team in the Europa league, probably highlights how unappealing we were as a destination under Rodgers.

Not having a go at Utd/BR obviously, just highlighting how ridiculous people sound when not having CL is used as a huge obstacle when trying to get deals done. The majority of players want to play for the best coachs and best players and obviously money helps a lot......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Apparently there's a player (Zuniga) in the deal with Napoli and the plan is to then send him on loan to Watford... surely that kind of stuff is against some rule.

Dahoud playing in a friendly today, just subbed off having made one and scored one. So that's another couple of million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Didn't he nearly kill someone once or was that a different Swansea player.

Wouldn't worry about signing someone in their 30s if they are good enough.

The team lacks leaders, so evident in the Europa final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

And Williams isn't, we have three better center backs already, we don't need another decent-ish one who's never played above the level of Swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ah Jesus we sign enough players in their 20s who are ****e so let's not start buying players in their 30s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You do get the impression if he was Williamsinho, the narrative might be different though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Kirby wrote: »
    You do get the impression if he was Williamsinho, the narrative might be different though.

If he was Williamsinho, he'd never make it out of the Brasileiro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Apparently there's a player (Zuniga) in the deal with Napoli and the plan is to then send him on loan to Watford... surely that kind of stuff is against some rule.

Player still holds most of the cards, he could simply refuse to sign for them and hold out for us. If that's what he wants of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

martyos121 wrote: »
    And Williams isn't, we have three better center backs already, we don't need another decent-ish one who's never played above the level of Swansea.

I still think Williams was better than CB we had 3 years ago. Would have been a good signing. I do not get the contempt for him.

If we have such good players how come we've done so sh1te over the last few years, is it totally nothing with the players we have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

People here were turning their noses up at Gotze a few weeks ago, not surprised people dont want Williams being honest.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Says he wants to see out his contract on BBC sport

"Liverpool have had an £11.7m bid for Poland midfielder Piotr Zielinski rejected by Udinese.

That is despite the fact the Italian club have accepted an identical offer from Serie A rivals Napoli.

Liverpool hope a deal can be done as Zielinski wants to join them, having indicated he is prepared to see out the remaining two years on his Udinese contract and leave on a free transfer."
    http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/36695597

Ah Jesus we sign enough players in their 20s who are ****e so let's not start buying players in their 30s

Forget Williams for a second.

What about players who are good in their 30s? Surely that's ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well that was a quick summer pre-season started today.
    Liverpool began pre-season preparations at Melwood on Saturday, with four players training with the club for the first time – and we were on hand to get these photographs.

Sadio Mane, Joel Matip, Loris Karius and Marko Grujic joined the Reds players who haven’t been on international duty this summer in a day of testing led by Andreas Kornmayer – a new addition to Jürgen Klopp’s backroom team.

The sessions, which saw the squad broken up into three groups of eight players, were closely monitored by the boss and assistants Peter Krawietz and Zeljko Buvac.

Also taking part were Liverpool’s returning loan players, including Mario Balotelli, Allan Rodrigues de Souza, Luis Alberto and Lazar Markovic.

thumb_22936_default_news_size_5.jpeg

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/226180-photos-from-melwood-lfc-s-first-day-of-pre-season-training

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement