Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

K-9 wrote: »
    No marquee signing. In fairness it is a bit underwhelming so far.

Ah yeah Mane is the closest we will get to that this summer imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

mormank wrote: »
    No marquee signing. In fairness it is a bit underwhelming so far.

Ah yeah Mane is the closest we will get to that this summer imo.

Reckon we will sign 2 or 3 more tops this window. I agree mane will be our most expensive signing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I think are only signings will be Dahoud, Zielenski and Chilwell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

With only hours remaining to the close of the transfer window this evening, we can definitively rule out any further transfers, and commence the wailing and the gnashing of the teeth. Oh wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I predict of those 3 only Chilwell will be signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Bogdan to Wigan rumour is gaining traction.

Bogdan to Wigan rumour is gaining traction.

And on a free.

We should try get a few 100K, you know, net spend is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

He'd be a typical Liverpool signing, though only if the rumoured £7m price is at least doubled. It'd fit the strategy perfectly, identify players that could be worth big money in the future and offer that same big money now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd be doubtful about all of the above for different reasons to different degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Klopp isn't known for buying Marquee, he likes the guys who work hard for the team, and seems to get the best out of them.

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    Klopp isn't known for buying Marquee, he likes the guys who work hard for the team, and seems to get the best out of them.

Mane?

Mane?

According to lots of people in here he isn't Marquee

He's at the level that makes him a marquee player for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Don't think a signing from Southampton can be considered marquee not that it matters anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

MD1990 wrote: »
    Don't think a signing from Southampton can be considered marquee not that it matters anyway.

That makes zero sense. If Ronaldo played for Southampton, would he not be "marquee" either? It's a pointless word anyway, these big name players that we don't sign flop often enough too. Lallana has played better for us than Di Maria or Pedro ever did for their clubs, but he's not considered a "marquee" signing while the other two are.

Aside from all that, I want players at our club who want to play for our club, not cash-hungry mercenaries with egos the size of blimps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Ah Jaysus daithi! Mig, Morono!

Lucas is getting old and isn't the same since the injuries. Allen is coming into his peak and offers something different as a squad player. If it was last Summer I could understand but he's finally delivering on the talent everybody knew he had.

Injuries would be my concern about him rather than style or anything like that. Yep, he made a mistake but who didn't for us at various times last season. Very harsh.

If they arent good enough they arent good enough, doesnt matter what age they are. We need better than these players, thats all im saying really.

I realise my comments may seem harsh to some, but they are just forthright views to me.

martyos121 wrote: »
    That makes zero sense. If Ronaldo played for Southampton, would he not be "marquee" either? It's a pointless word anyway, these big name players that we don't sign flop often enough too. Lallana has played better for us than Di Maria or Pedro ever did for their clubs, but he's not considered a "marquee" signing while the other two are.

Aside from all that, I want players at our club who want to play for our club, not cash-hungry mercenaries with egos the size of blimps.
    I don't know in what world that would happen. But we need to sign good players this summer . Doesn't matter whether they are a marquee signing or not. Just a stupid phrase used by the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Apparently we've gone cold on the Chillwell deal too.

Allen does not get mugged in duels. He has decent pace & is stronger than he looks. Doesn't get pushed off the ball much at all.

The games we struggle to win have nothing to do with the game being too physical. More to do with individual errors in defence.

Sounds like your listening to too much Sky with all this how physical the PL is etc.

We clearly watch different games then, that's fine.

Have never owned a Sky Box. Good point though :rolleyes:

We make errors in defence for sure. Some (me anyway) would say we have neglected the DM position ever since Mascherano left. We are under more pressure defensively since we dont have that level of quality in front of the defence. Skrtel used to be great (people told me, i never believed them) when Mascherano was in front of him for example.

Allen is part of the problem in that regard, he isnt good enough as DM, he shouldnt start in CM and his ability imo is limited.

• Advertisement

I don't know in what world that would happen. But we need to sign good players this summer . Doesn't matter whether they are a marquee signing or not. Just a stupid phrase used by the media.

Ah so we're on the same page then at least. I was only saying that if a world class player is signed from a club like Southampton, it's still a world class or "marquee" signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

If bornetobywilde doesn't post a picture of an actual marquee in respect to all this talk of "marquee signings" them I'll be dissapoint.

daithijjj wrote: »
    We clearly watch different games then, that's fine.

Have never owned a Sky Box. Good point though :rolleyes:

We make errors in defence for sure. Some (me anyway) would say we have neglected the DM position ever since Mascherano left. We are under more pressure defensively since we dont have that level of quality in front of the defence. Skrtel used to be great (people told me, i never believed them) when Mascherano was in front of him for example.

Allen is part of the problem in that regard, he isnt good enough as DM, he shouldnt start in CM and his ability imo is limited.
    Allen has rarely played as a DM though. We now mostly play with 2 CM's now anyway not really anyone considered a DM. Don't seem to be looking for one either. And with Can improving I don't see it as much of a problem as it was when Gerrard was playing as a DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

klose wrote: »
    If bornetobywilde doesn't post a picture of an actual marquee in respect to all this talk of "marquee signings" them I'll be dissapoint.

I'm still disappointed that nobody has photoshopped Balotelli's head onto Hodor saying 'Hold the D'or'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I knew there was something missing from the annual marquee definition conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Yerra, you've ****ing ruined it for him now. A haul of thanks the likes of which it would have harvested doesn't just come along every day. A handy 15+er.

• Advertisement

Well if bornetobywilde won't do it...

yd02EI1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Mane?

No one can seriously argue that Mane is a marquee signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

martyos121 wrote: »
    Well if bornetobywilde won't do it...

yd02EI1.jpg

Its funnier the way Borne tells it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Marquee, balloons, is someone having a party? Need to post a pic of Hendo, if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

More excited about Bogdan going and the possibility of getting most our money back on Benteke than a Zielinski or Chilwell signing. Been a particularly underwhelming window but I never expected clever moves anyway given our recent transfer record, the ball seems to be in the get the most out of the mixed bag squad Jurgen. Hopefully Sturridge stays fit, hopefully Sakho gets off, maybe Karius will be good & Moreno learns how to be a defender over the summer.

• Advertisement

Its the third of July. Two months to go chaps.

garra wrote: »
    Its funnier the way Borne tells it

He does have a way with words. Or pictures in this case.

Allen has rarely played as a DM though. We now mostly play with 2 CM's now anyway not really anyone considered a DM. Don't seem to be looking for one either. And with Can improving I don't see it as much of a problem as it was when Gerrard was playing as a DM.

You are kind of making my point for me.

Allen has played there and we collectively found out he couldnt do it so it was avoided. As a player in CM, you have to be an all rounder, at some point you have to be able to do it, but he cant, therein he is limited/not good enough in the grand scheme moving forward for us/should be sold as there wont be a better time to sell. And i believe Klopp thinks he can find a replacement easily enough. We will find out in the next few weeks.

Small point on Can, we need more than him there because we are using him as a versatile player in different positions, ergo, if he is needed to fill in for Clyne, for example, we risk having a domino effect in a few positions which collectively makes us weaker as a unit because while he is competent at right back we would then lose something in DM. Our lack of focus in a DM has seen us diminish in resilience as a team. Can is one, we dont have another that i would describe as good enough. Our squad players simply arent good enough to cover Can in terms of deep lying midfielder/playmaker role. They dont have his strength, they dont have his passing ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LiamoSail wrote: »
    He'd be a typical Liverpool signing, though only if the rumoured £7m price is at least doubled. It'd fit the strategy perfectly, identify players that could be worth big money in the future and offer that same big money now

Like the cynicism!

Just on Allen, he is a different option on the bench and that's why I think we should keep him. Can, Henderson and Lucas are all different types of players.

All right he wont score a 90th minute winner but he might set up the play, or change the dynamic of a game by calming things down. He's a good passer and he makes himself available for passes from Sakho and the rest of the back 4.

I don't know, it was nice to see his name on the bench for the last half of the season and know we could rely on him. It often takes time for a new CM to settle in, Allen, Henderson and Lucas all did.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

You are kind of making my point for me.

Allen has played there and we collectively found out he couldnt do it so it was avoided. As a player in CM, you have to be an all rounder, at some point you have to be able to do it, but he cant, therein he is limited/not good enough in the grand scheme moving forward for us/should be sold as there wont be a better time to sell. And i believe Klopp thinks he can find a replacement easily enough. We will find out in the next few weeks.

Small point on Can, we need more than him there because we are using him as a versatile player in different positions, ergo, if he is needed to fill in for Clyne, for example, we risk having a domino effect in a few positions which collectively makes us weaker as a unit because while he is competent at right back we would then lose something in DM. Our lack of focus in a DM has seen us diminish in resilience as a team. Can is one, we dont have another that i would describe as good enough. Our squad players simply arent good enough to cover Can in terms of deep lying midfielder/playmaker role. They dont have his strength, they dont have his passing ability.

Completely agree with your previous post about not replacing Masch properly, Lucas looked like he was getting there before the injuries.

Yes Allen can't play that DM role at a top level but neither can Henderson, Milner and not yet for Can. I'd hope Milner isn't seen as a CM option anymore.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is Lucas is the player we should be upgrading on, that should be first priority and there seems to be no talk about him from the reliable sources. That would be more worrying for me and ties in with your concern about DM.

Btw, no problem with forthright opinions!

If we sell Skrtel, Allen and Benteke for near £50 Million well that's good money but net spend...

It isn't great when others are splashing the cash and we seem to be relying on Klopp and the much maligned transfer committee. I suppose the stadium redevelopment puts a bit of pressure on finances but still.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Hello to y'all ( the FPL guys excluded),
    May I put forward the ^Leicester way" and ask what we lack in our current squad to win the bloody league?
    Mane is a good start. I feel the need, the need for.......

Completely agree with your previous post about not replacing Masch properly, Lucas looked like he was getting there before the injuries.

Yes Allen can't play that DM role at a top level but neither can Henderson, Milner and not yet for Can. I'd hope Milner isn't seen as a CM option anymore.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is Lucas is the player we should be upgrading on, that should be first priority and there seems to be no talk about him from the reliable sources. That would be more worrying for me and ties in with your concern about DM.

Btw, no problem with forthright opinions!

If we sell Skrtel, Allen and Benteke for near £50 Million well that's good money but net spend...

It isn't great when others are splashing the cash and we seem to be relying on Klopp and the much maligned transfer committee. I suppose the stadium redevelopment puts a bit of pressure on finances but still.

Ah yea, i mean Allen wouldnt be the first i'd get rid of but i really dont want to see either him or Lucas in there.

Allen moving on would free up money at least, not sure Lucas would command much at all, so less pressure to sell, maybe im wrong.

Pretty sure Ayre has said the money for the team should not be affected that much at all. Would Klopp have taken a sell to buy scenario?, i don think so. Probably not much difference from what we usually spend net id imagine.

Ah yea, i mean Allen wouldnt be the first i'd get rid of but i really dont want to see either him or Lucas in there.

Allen moving on would free up money at least, not sure Lucas would command much at all, so less pressure to sell, maybe im wrong.

Pretty sure Ayre has said the money for the team should not be affected that much at all. Would Klopp have taken a sell to buy scenario?, i don think so. Probably not much difference from what we usually spend net id imagine.

I suppose the usual £15-30 million above sales. Might get something for Mario as well. Doesn't look like it'll be major spending.

I wouldn't call it sell to buy in the Suarez or Sterling sense as we're selling players we don't really want for various reasons. Benteke because he doesn't fit in, Skrtel because he's shyte and if we do sell Allen, we'd be hoping to upgrade (hard to know if that is the case yet). It isn't ideal with Benteke and Mario but it shouldn't be hard to upgrade and get replacements that add more to the team. Mane has probably scored more goals in his 2 seasons at Southampton than those 2 for us, Jaysus that's shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

do you like it in the back paaaaassssssssss-aaaaaaage?

You ain't Goose!!!
    Can and Allen could work. DM,CM attacking mid....yawn.
    Look at Pogba tonight.

Looks like napoli are playing hard ball in the Zelinski race. They've increased their wage offer on top of the transfer fee.

• Advertisement

World gone mad when Palace are paying 30m for a striker. Definitely a good bit of business for Liverpool imo, he wasn't working out and keeping him doesn't justify missing out on that sort of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

ERG89 wrote: »
    More excited about Bogdan going and the possibility of getting most our money back on Benteke than a Zielinski or Chilwell signing.

What's exciting about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Vicxas wrote: »
    Looks like napoli are playing hard ball in the Zelinski race. They've increased their wage offer on top of the transfer fee.

Fcuk him. if he wants to go for extra money let him go there.
    We will move on to other players that want to play for LFC

I'd say Chilwell is nailed on to sign.
    Klopp's best mate David Wagner was manager of Huddersfield when Chilwell was on loan there. He was highly recommended to Klopp by Wagner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How do you know he doesn't want to play for LFC?

It's his clubs choice to accept the Napoli bid and reject ours for the exact same money.

By all accounts, he is keen on the move.

murpho999 wrote: »
    How do you know he doesn't want to play for LFC?
    It's his clubs choice to accept the Napoli bid and reject ours for the exact same money.

By all accounts, he is keen on the move.

Apologies then. I thought I read he was gonna be swayed by the wage increase from Napoli.

Apologies then. I thought I read he was gonna be swayed by the wage increase from Napoli.
    Who knows, tbf?

in the few clips I've seen of him, he looks like a younger, taller, more mobile version of Joe Allen with a better shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Any word on benteke?

• Advertisement

Miss

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement