Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not signing Witsel either - they club have already quashed that via the echo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

5starpool wrote: »
    We aren't signing Matuidi.

I reckon there is a good chance though of us signing 1 player out of the blue relatively speaking that wasn't picked up by anyone, but other than that, we are probably done. I'll be a bit annoyed if we don't sign a left back though.

How can you say that with 2 months of the window to go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Not signing Witsel either - they club have already quashed that via the echo.

Just give us one more decent cm then ! Stevie should he nearly done with the galaxy get him home and togged out only solution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Just give us one more decent cm then ! Stevie should he nearly done with the galaxy get him home and togged out only solution

Hell no.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

murpho999 wrote: »
    How can you say that with 2 months of the window to go?

I'm not trying to paint it as a failure by the club, I'm saying it more so because unless we sell loads more players I can't see us buying more than 1 or 2 more at the absolute most given that we will have 50 games at the absolute most next season, and probably less than that so we don't need a big squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Take the money!

Yep, we'll have actually turned a profit on him in the books.

And that's all that matters!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

K-9 wrote: »

And that's all that matters!

I'd rather we won the league myself but each to their own.

We aren't signing Matuidi.

I reckon there is a good chance though of us signing 1 player out of the blue relatively speaking that wasn't picked up by anyone, but other than that, we are probably done. I'll be a bit annoyed if we don't sign a left back though.

More out of missing out on our targets in CM than an actual coup by us though. Still its the 4th of July, another week yet to throw the toys out of the pram!

That's bound to be more than they ever thought they'd get for Benteke so might open the purse strings a bit.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Matuidi will go to a CL club or one that's willing to pay any stupid amount just to have him (Man Utd or Chelsea). Also it's worth pointing out he is actually 29 years of age so a non starter for that alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

D'Agger wrote: »
    I full on love Joe Allen & I'd love him to remain in the squad if he could improve his consistency - too often he plays a blinder, followed by a shocker, he's a great bit of stuff, would only advocate selling him if he's replaced with a solid talent like Neves

"G'wan Joe Bhiy" - most used phrase of my Euros so far

I don't think he's that inconsistent.
    That's not to say he's always been amazing, but I think his poorer performances have come off the back of injury.
    He's been incredibly consistent when fit IMO.

I don't think it's a Rodgers thing for the most part.
    Most are fairly ambivalent and would be happy enough to see him stay if nobody else comes in, but happy enough to see what someone else could do if Klopp fancies them (Zielinski, Dahoud, Neves etc).

He won't let us down if he hangs around. We won't miss him much if he is replaced (his ageless beauty notwithstanding).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Matuidi will go to a CL club or one that's willing to pay any stupid amount just to have him (Man Utd or Chelsea). Also it's worth pointing out he is actually 29 years of age so a non starter for that alone.

He is going to OR ONE

Bollocks (Sergi Canos that is) A pity - I've seen that boy grow from being the ugly duckling of the fab four (Canos, Kent, Wilson, Ojo) to it's most exciting member and now he's gone. I just hope they at least put a clause in to buy him back or a % of his next transfer.

Sniff :( :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Bollocks (Sergi Canos that is) A pity - I've seen that boy grow from being the ugly duckling of the fab four (Canos, Kent, Wilson, Ojo) to it's most exciting member and now he's gone. I just hope they at least put a clause in to buy him back or a % of his next transfer.

Sniff :( :pac:

Ah I think Ojo is the most exciting member. He's like a Ibe with a brain. He's got physical gifts the others don't have and when you come up to senior level thats something that can't be underrated.

Canos will be a lovely footballer tho imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Gbear wrote: »
    I don't think he's that inconsistent.
    That's not to say he's always been amazing, but I think his poorer performances have come off the back of injury.
    He's been incredibly consistent when fit IMO.

I don't think it's a Rodgers thing for the most part.
    Most are fairly ambivalent and would be happy enough to see him stay if nobody else comes in, but happy enough to see what someone else could do if Klopp fancies them (Zielinski, Dahoud, Neves etc).

He won't let us down if he hangs around. We won't miss him much if he is replaced (his ageless beauty notwithstanding).

He is a decent squad player.. but he always loses the ball in a bad spot every game..

• Advertisement

I thought Canos might have got a look in but no Europa lessens his chances, hope we've a buy back clause as Harry said, he's a fan favourite at Brentford.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

**United fan here in peace**

Genuine question lads..

If you lay your squad out and read it off, what are your general thoughts? What are the realistic expectations for the coming season?

I reckon it'll be an improvement when Klopp gets a full preseason and can maybe mould a couple of the new additions etc but do ya reckon you are are still missing some quality in areas?

Is the team looking to be built around the likes of Coutinho, Firmino & Origi (a lot to prove still of course)?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Thecon21 wrote: »

Genuine question lads..

If you lay your squad out and read it off, what are your general thoughts? What are the realistic expectations for the coming season?

I reckon it'll be an improvement when Klopp gets a full preseason and can maybe mould a couple of the new additions etc but do ya reckon you are are still missing some quality in areas?

Is the team looking to be built around the likes of Coutinho, Firmino & Origi (a lot to prove still of course)?

Cheers

If our defence can defend, we can challenge great for the league no bother. We have a great attack, scoring goals won't be an issue, it's defending a d holding onto leagues that is, and always has been our issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Genuine question lads..

Cheers

IF we buy a left back that is better defensively than Moreno, IF Karius performs better than Mig has and IF we manage to keep at least 1 of Sturridge, Origi and Ings fit for the season, unlike last season, than I'd expect us to mount a decent shot at the title. May not all the way until May but at least be in the running come Jan/Feb. Lots of IFs but doable.

Side note, what would you guys think of signing Sissoko from Newcastle? We've been linked to him in the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Side note, what would you guys think of signing Sissoko from Newcastle? We've been linked to him in the last few days.

Meh. He's terrible as often as he's good, looks like a guy with motivational issues.

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »

Meh. He's terrible as often as he's good, looks like a guy with motivational issues.

Was going to say exactly this, he is so streaky. I'd say Liverpool could do better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Genuine question lads..

Cheers

There are a number of factors which could create conditions for us to have a real pop at the title this coming season:-

1. Klopp has had over half a season to get used to the league and the squad at his disposal so he will be ultra prepared for the coming season.

2. Klopps style of play has been ingrained into the squad. Those that haven't or can't embrace it (Benteke, Balotelli etc) and those not good enough (Mig, Skyrtel etc) have already been upgraded with new arrivals.

3. Three of the usual contenders for the title (Chelsea, City and Utd) will have new managers and all that goes with that for the new season which may result in slow starts or inconsistent results as squads get used to new styles of play etc.

4. We don't have any European football and will have the luxury of being able to play a consistent team each week and get decent training in between games. This "luxury" could provide ideal conditions for focusing on a tilt at the title. (I'd still prefer if we had European football though!!)

5. Arsenal and Spurs will be looking to build on promising but ultimately disappointing seasons last year. If Arsenal buy a decent striker and CB they could have a real pop but I've a suspicion Spurs are going to struggle to replicate last seasons form prior to their virtual collapse in the final games and I also think Leicester will do well again but with European football and the likely loss of either Maherz and/or Kante I don't think they'll be in the mix come the end of the season. (Could be famous last words!!)

6. Everyone knows next year will be our year :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Genuine question lads..

Cheers

I think the main question is going to be how other teams strengthen and gel. I think it's going to be even more extreme this season for teams beating other teams. West Ham, Everton, Southampton, Palace, Watford are the sorts of teams that can take points off anyone, then there's the top 4 from last season plus ourselves and United. Lots of teams in the top 10 bucket with strong managers and spending a lot of money means it'll be harder than ever to get an edge.

No Europe should help us a lot, but like many seasons before I think our biggest risk is the dreaded draw. We have to be ruthless. Seasons have gone by where we've played good football but ended up drawing 10 or 11 games. What we badly need in this season is to keep starting to press early for goals, but be a lot lot better at seeing out games from a winning position - our record at that last season was shocking.

My head says that we won't be consistent enough to get close enough to the top of the table. But heart says that anything could happen with no team likely to only lose a couple of games all year. If we get a good run of wins early on it will really help, but the tough opening games with most away from home means it's uphill to start. Get over that and be in a good position by Christmas and who knows. Not going to panic or get excited until that period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I actually think Matuidi is wildly overrated and not just saying that because we have no hope of signing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Unlike some of the responses so far I don't come close to expecting us to challenge for the title. It could happen of course, but I think we are a genuine 40/1 shot for the title (not 8/1 or whatever the bookies have us priced at. To get 80+ points the following need to happen:

1. Defence to not be headless chickens. If Karius settles and becomes a reliable first choice this will help. We also need to upgrade on Moreno defensively.
    2. We need luck with injuries.
    3. Klopp will have to have the team perform better than the sum of it's parts.
    4. We need more consistency from our front line players. Coutinho is notoriously inconsistent, and we have Mane who is also 'streaky' as well.
    5. We need to stop letting teams overrun us, goes hand in hand with number 1.

Obviously this is true of nearly all teams, but 3 is the one above I am most optimistic about. Realistically I hope for 70 points and see where that has us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Unlike some of the responses so far I don't come close to expecting us to challenge for the title. It could happen of course, but I think we are a genuine 40/1 shot for the title (not 8/1 or whatever the bookies have us priced at. To get 80+ points the following need to happen:

1. Defence to not be headless chickens. If Karius settles and becomes a reliable first choice this will help. We also need to upgrade on Moreno defensively.
    4. We need more consistency from our front line players. Coutinho is notoriously inconsistent, and we have Mane who is also 'streaky' as well.

Obviously this is true of nearly all teams, but 3 is the one above I am most optimistic about. Realistically I hope for 70 points and see where that has us.
    I'd agree with you up to a point.

Goals.

If we can consistently score goals, we are in with a good shout for CL. It was only in the last third of the season that we started scoring goals consistently.
    Sturridge and Origi have to be getting 15+ goals each for us now that both are more settled in Klopps tactics and us having a goal threat will relieve a lot of pressure on the defence and midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I'd agree with you up to a point.

Goals.

If we can consistently score goals, we are in with a good shout for CL. It was only in the last third of the season that we started scoring goals consistently.
    Sturridge and Origi have to be getting 15+ goals each for us now that both are more settled in Klopps tactics and us having a goal threat will relieve a lot of pressure on the defence and midfield.

The optimistic hope would be that all of Sturridge, Ings, Origi and Firmino can get 10 or more goals (and maybe one over 20...), but our real downfall in this front is a real lack of goals from the midfield. Milner, Henderson, Lallana and a few others all need to add in a few more, and we can hope that Lovren, Matip, etc might chip in one or two each from corners too.

Top sides who challenge for the CL spots or higher tend to get goals from all over the pitch and we haven't really managed that in recent seasons.

I think Mané will contribute more than Lallana from the wing, for example, but it's hard to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I was a little surprised to see so many positive responses before this one - I'm much more on 5 Star Pool's line of thinking than anything.

Karius may well be an upgrade on Mignolet, but he is 22 and may take time to settle. Expecting miracles right away is setting the guy up for a fall - remember De Gea's first season, for example? He got a very hard time of it from the off because he made a few mistakes here and there.

Expecting a new goalie, new CB and, potentially, a new LB to come in and all immediately settle, thus answering the defensive issues we've had since about 2009 and push us up the league is... optimistic.

On the injuries front, there are parts of the field we need luck in for sure. I think we got a particularly bad run last season with all of our available strikers out at the one time, for e.g., and while certain players may well pick up injuries again, I would hope that more time with Klopp's conditioning and fewer games may limit our overall exposure to injuries.

That said, some like Gomez and Ings were just bad luck and can't be blamed on either the games or the conditioning and others, like Sturridge and possibly Henderson (ongoing heel issue), are always susceptible to injuries.

Re: playing as more than the sum of its parts, we saw this on a number of occasions last season so hopefully it will be done so on a more consistent basis this season.

I genuinely believe we can perform better than last season - but I also genuinely believe that Chelsea, Man United and Man City will drastically improve too. I think Arsenal and Spurs will aim for par on last season, and I am refusing to write off Leicester after the miracle of last season. They may slide down with more games, but I don't think it'll be 1st-10th, but 1st to 5th/6th.

West Ham, Everton, and Southampton are all good sides too and will be looking to take a step up from last season.

I reckon we're in for a tough one and it is hard to make predictions before the window has closed but I think we still have issues in our team that will make it difficult to jump up the league. We're relying on a lot of factors - inconsistent players suddenly being consistent, more luck with injuries, a vastly improved defence based on some new signings... It would take remarkable luck for all of this to click at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Lovren shortlisted to be new captain.

• Advertisement

............ but our real downfall in this front is a real lack of goals from the midfield. Milner, Henderson, Lallana and a few others all need to add in a few more..........

Coutinho 8 goals from 26 in the Pl last season, 12 goals in 43 appearances all games.

Milner 5 goals from 28 in the Pl last season, 7 goals in 45 appearances all games.

Lallana 4 goals from 30 in the Pl last season, 7 goals in 49 appearances all games.

Firmino 10 goals from 31 in the Pl last season, 11 goals in 49 appearances all games.

With the addition of Mane & some improvement as we've less games you'd expect goals from midfield to improve. Firmino should be better in his 2nd English season, lots to be confident about imo :)

Henderson & Can might chip in a few each over the course of the season but to be fair we do have enough midfield firepower in front of them imo.

If we continue with 1 up front Sturridge, Origi, Ings & perhaps Firmino are enough on paper but we'll inevitably have injuries and Firmino isn't a 1 up front man, whatever about the other 3 managing with AM support.

Not mentioning Balotelli :pac: but it wouldn't totally surprise me if he got a game with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Anybody know if the Burnley match has been moved to turf moor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Stab*City wrote: »
    Anybody know if the Burnley match has been moved to turf moor?

Yes it has :)

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/06/report-liverpool-reach-agreement-burnley-switch-opening-anfield-league-clash/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Unlike some of the responses so far I don't come close to expecting us to challenge for the title.
    I was a little surprised to see so many positive responses before this one - I'm much more on 5 Star Pool's line of thinking than anything.

Agree with this.......I want to see a big improvement in league position and anything outside top 4 would be disappointing but right now there are at least 4 teams with better squads, we have a few advantages but nothing that will automatically shoot us to the top of that pile......tough season ahead I'm guessing......

Lovren shortlisted to be new captain.

Henderson being demoted?

Ryan Kent and Danny Ward to be loaned, Barnsley mooted for the former.

Cameron Brannagan is staying at LFC despite interest from Wigwam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's not as black and white as that.

I don't hate Rodgers but would not be devastated to see Allen go. He doesn't t control a game enough for me.

Would you all have him as a started every game?

I think he's a squad player at best for us.
    He's not a controller - the Xavi/Pirlo comparisons totally screwed him in terms of the perceptions/expectations of fans.

When he first came to the club we got Nuri Sahin on loan and Rodgers decided to play Joe Allen in his position. Did it make sense? Not really, but Rodgers did it because he wanted to impose his Swansea style as quickly as possible. He is not a deep lying play maker - better opposition (e.g. Man Utd) repeatedly exploited the weakness in his game when playing the role.

Allen does his best work between the half way line and the opposition's 18 yard box. He keeps the ball moving with simple passes (most of the time) and presses opposition players when not in possession.

The 18 yard box has traditionally been nose bleed/heart attack/panic stations territory for the player. Under Klopp he has shown more confidence and a willingness to break forward into the opposition area and not be afraid to shoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Benteke will do very well for Crystal Palace. Pity it has not worked out for him at Liverpool. Hopefully we will be bringing in another striker. Left back badly needed and midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Left back is still the priority signing i feel and then a cm. I would be happy enough if these two positions were adressed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Joe Allen is a solid midtable PL footballer nothing more as things are Liverpool have been pretty much been an upper midtable side for the best part of the last 6/7 years and he hasn't been able to hold down a regular place in first team.

I like Allen and think he would be a decent squad player but I doubt he wants that and he deserves to play week in week out which won't happen at Liverpool under Klopp.

It's time to let our world class manager strip the squad apart and build his own squad.

Toure, Skrtel, Allen, Benteke, Bodgan, Ilori, Ibe, Balotelli, Wisdom, Alberto and Lucas are or will likely go this summer that's a big cull and still leaves us with a big squad.

No hard feelings thanks your service to the club and best of luck in your future endeavours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Reports that Man City are closing in on Sane for 40m. He looks to be a fantastic player. Be interesting to see what happens with Sterling too, if that does go through.

Mane > Sane

Is this site playing up again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Couple of off the cuff points:

- Rodgers was right when he said that most seasons you need over 70 goals to be going places in this league. I'm not sure we have that.

- I haven't seen Sturridge sprint in about two years. Origi is still raw, Ings back from a horrible injury, Firmino more of a CF/AM, and Benteke getting sold. Annoyingly, the player I see with the best shout of reaching 20 goals next year would be Benteke if he joins palace. I agree he doesn't suit us, however.

- The league will be even tougher at the top next year, considering the changes at United, Chelsea and City. I'm not sure we can finish above any of them, plus you have to add Spurs, Arsenal, and you can't be disrespectful to Leicester either. The Klopp effect would have to be on steroids for us to finish ahead of all of them, in my opinion.

- We have no superstar in the team that frightens players. Coutinho is our main man, but he's still not consistent enough.

- We have no midfielder that is either a formidable force in defence, or a potent attacking threat. We also don't have a midfielder who can control the game. We have a lot of nearly men, in Henderson, Can and Allen, but they still need a top player alongside them, or in front of them, to make things tick over.

- Serious question marks over our defence. Kolo is gone, no idea what happens with Sakho, Moreno cannot be first choice LB for 40 games, and we don't know who our goalkeeper is going to be.

- Leadership is a massive issue. Kolo is an obvious loss in that manner, and we still haven't found anyone capable of stepping up to the fore, ala Carragher, Gerrard, and more recently Suarez. Klopp effect has helped massively in this regard, but if Sakho doesn't play this year, I'm very worried about the spine, resolve, and leadership of this team.

tl;dr
    As things stand, I'm honestly not even remotely optimistic of us getting fourth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

NukaCola wrote: »
    Henderson being demoted?

A season too late.

Zielinski is back on if you can believe their sporting director (their owner could still stick a spanner in the works)
    Dave O’Connell
    @DaveOCKOP

Udinese sporting director Nero Bonato says Piotr Zielinski “will choose soon” between Napoli and Liverpool. (Football Italia)
    12:47 PM - 5 Jul 2016

• Advertisement

Zielinski is an average player that wont improve our starting 11. Surprised this is the calibre of player we are after......not saying the guy would be an awful signing btw just seems like more filler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Benteke will do very well for Crystal Palace. Pity it has not worked out for him at Liverpool. Hopefully we will be bringing in another striker. Left back badly needed and midfielder.

Don't think we'll sign another striker if Benteke leaves. Klopp usually plays with one up front and we have no European games and we have Sturridge, Origi and Ings. Firmino can fill in up front if needed and even Mane can according to himself. Of course the wild card is Sturridge's health.

Once Benteke leaves I think the priority will be a LB and a CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I'm preparing myself for the disappointment of not signing a LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Talisman wrote: »
    He's not a controller - the Xavi/Pirlo comparisons totally screwed him in terms of the perceptions/expectations of fans.

When he first came to the club we got Nuri Sahin on loan and Rodgers decided to play Joe Allen in his position. Did it make sense? Not really, but Rodgers did it because he wanted to impose his Swansea style as quickly as possible. He is not a deep lying play maker - better opposition (e.g. Man Utd) repeatedly exploited the weakness in his game when playing the role.

Allen does his best work between the half way line and the opposition's 18 yard box. He keeps the ball moving with simple passes (most of the time) and presses opposition players when not in possession.

The 18 yard box has traditionally been nose bleed/heart attack/panic stations territory for the player. Under Klopp he has shown more confidence and a willingness to break forward into the opposition area and not be afraid to shoot.

So out of a full pitch Allen is useful is roughly 32 yards of it. Great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

NukaCola wrote: »
    Zielinski is an average player that wont improve our starting 11. Surprised this is the calibre of player we are after......not saying the guy would be an awful signing btw just seems like more filler.

Reckon hes a replacement for allen

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement