Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if footballtickets.net is legit, I want to bring my lad to a game this season and I know tickets are 115 pounds each but I wouldn't mind paying that as a one off if I knew they were above board

What game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's pure fantasy stuff I know but he has a £76m buyout clause, the notion we couldn't aford him is a myth. We have a reported 61m in sales coming in and we are already a very rich club as it is.

I know he wouldn't come but it would be a nice show of ambition to trigger his buyout atleast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Does anyone know if footballtickets.net is legit, I want to bring my lad to a game this season and I know tickets are 115 pounds each but I wouldn't mind paying that as a one off if I knew they were above board

Those sites can be pretty dodgy. I've often heard of them letting people down quite late on. Theres very little recourse to get your money back when it does happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,040 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

rob316 wrote: »
    It's pure fantasy stuff I know but he has a £76m buyout clause, the notion we couldn't aford him is a myth. We have a reported 61m in sales coming in and we are already a very rich club as it is.

I know he wouldn't come but it would be a nice show of ambition to trigger his buyout atleast.

I don't know about that...generally buyout clauses are only triggered when the club actually already has a fair idea they're going to get their man, otherwise it ends up a little embarrassing. No story at all is probably better than a 'little Liverpool not up to big buy' story.

And of course when we inevitably don't get him, we've still gone and telegraphed that we have this money earmarked to spend on players (rather than towards stadium etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I don't know about that...generally buyout clauses are only triggered when the club actually already has a fair idea they're going to get their man, otherwise it ends up a little embarrassing.

+£1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    What game?

Thinking of Swansea in jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Umaro wrote: »
    Those sites can be pretty dodgy. I've often heard of them letting people down quite late on. Theres very little recourse to get your money back when it does happen.

Speaking of those sites, I used one years ago for my first match (vs United in Septemeber '08, the Babel winner :)) because I knew no other way of getting over for a match at the time. Wasn't let down for tickets but they were restricted view, couldn't see the Anfield Road end goal at all. Just goes to show that even the ones who aren't scam artists really do shaft you all the same.

I believe those pillars have been knocked down now though with the extension of the main stand. Now that is the best bit of business we've done all summer!

Umaro wrote: »

I would be a bit wary alright,I could just get 2 memberships but then I'd be affraid that when they go on general sale that I'd miss out

Don't buy from those sites, it's just legalised touting.

Keep an eye on the Liverpool Fc tickets thread on here. Always loads available at face value including some of my own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

NukaCola wrote: »
    +£1

To be fair, Suarez wanted to join arsenal, and would have, but FSG just decided that they could ignore all clause obligations.

Doubt Griezmann wants to join us.

Knex. wrote: »
    To be fair, Suarez wanted to join arsenal, and would have, but FSG just decided that they could ignore all clause obligations.

Doubt Griezmann wants to join us.

I stand by my cheeky dig, fair or not......:p

Keep an eye on the Liverpool Fc tickets thread on here. Always loads available at face value including some of my own

Should I just buy 2 memberships and wait for the general sale,been a few yrs since I've been to Anfield,seems alot harder to get tickets now,is the general sale a few wks before the game? If a ring ticket office or go online the morning they go on sale would I have a chance of 2 seats together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I stand by my cheeky dig, fair or not......:p

Hey, hey, you know what wasn't fair though?

Us rejecting their bid even though we legally couldn't! :p

80913719_John_102680c.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Should I just buy 2 memberships and wait for the general sale,been a few yrs since I've been to Anfield,seems alot harder to get tickets now,is the general sale a few wks before the game? If a ring ticket office or go online the morning they go on sale would I have a chance of 2 seats together

That game will be in the November sale, and there are no guarantees that you would be successful in the sale process, which will only be online from 8.15 that day, and will be potluck in a queuing system of varying lengths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

MD1990 wrote: »
    If our transfer committee had any sense. They would have targeted Griezmann in 2014 at Sociedad after selling Suarez. I think Griezmann has always wanted to stay in Spain though

In fairness to Comoli apparently he had the signing tied up but Kenny vetoed him and went with tried and trusted Stewart Downing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

price690 wrote: »
    In fairness to Comoli apparently he had the signing tied up but Kenny vetoed him and went with tried and trusted Stewart Downing

Eh? The King and Comolli were gone from the club about 2 yrs by summer 2014

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Eh? The King and Comolli were gone from the club about 2 yrs by summer 2014

supposedly there was an agreement to sign him in 2011 or 2012 according to Comoli

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

supposedly there was an agreement to sign him in 2011 or 2012 according to Comoli

Ah I see, I thought you specifically meant after Suarez left.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Ah I see, I thought you specifically meant after Suarez left.

Comolli spoke at the Web summit in Dublin.

He said he recommended Griezmann and had an agreement for just under 10million with player and sociedad.

The club went with Kennys choice though of Downing for twice the fee. I'd say some of kennys signings were the reason no manager got total control of signings under fsg.

Comolli also said the reason fsg gave him for sacking him was his punt on jordan Henderson who they felt would have to be moved on at significant loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Comoli talks a lot if bollox what about the hundred other players he recommended and the club didn't sign and that turned out to be duds did he speak much on them

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Comoli talks a lot if bollox what about the hundred other players he recommended and the club didn't sign and that turned out to be duds did he speak much on them

That's true but it was interesting all the same.

He has 2 great signings on his resume in Suarez and Bale but lots of duds too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

There's an LFC ticket thread??? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

That's true but it was interesting all the same.

He has 2 great signings on his resume in Suarez and Bale but lots of duds too.

Even a stopped clock.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

A lot of people might have a hard time with this but we are lucky to have a manager of Klopps calibre, without him we are bang average as a club, easily outside the top 4 and miles away from where we were even 6/7 years ago.

2 cup finals with someone else's squad and 6 points off a top 4 position, while playing youngsters and getting a feel of the whole squad, seems pretty harsh to be called a failure of a season IMO. The owners have obviously seen enough to offer him a long term contract, and I am absolutely behind them on that decision. Not sure how you'd call it small time tying down a world class manager......maybe we should act like billy big balls and ask him to wait down a contract he can get with better clubs when time comes to renew, because we used to be huge.

Klopp is key to turning us around, give him as long as he wants IMO.

It's not that it's a bad outcome. I could scarcely believe we managed to bring him here and anything that ties him down is good for the club.

I'm just puzzled by how it's been handled. It doesn't seem to demonstrate joined up thinking by the club hierarchy.
    Either they had faith in him beforehand and should've offered him a longer contract (although perhaps they did, and he refused, in which case, why would he sign one now?) or they should be basing his contract renewel on the idea that he was some sort of gamble (which he wasn't) but he absolutely pissed the first season of his tenure (he did grand but we didn't actually acheive anything concrete).

What has this season changed? Would we feel any less priveliged to have him if we hadn't gotten to two finals? Because we shouldn't have been - his record speaks for itself from his previous career, and I don't think his time at Liverpool does anything to change that.

So what's the plan now? Do we offer him a contract extension every 9 months?

It's just weird. Either weird in the formulation of the original contract or weird to be offering him an extension so soon when we haven't acheived anything and he hasn't proven anything he hadn't already proven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Joe Allen wanted by Southampton (yes!), so that's Seville, Swansea, Soton at least.

New signing - Jurgen Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Gbear wrote: »
    It's not that it's a bad outcome. I could scarcely believe we managed to bring him here and anything that ties him down is good for the club.

I'm just puzzled by how it's been handled. It doesn't seem to demonstrate joined up thinking by the club hierarchy.
    Either they had faith in him beforehand and should've offered him a longer contract (although perhaps they did, and he refused, in which case, why would he sign one now?) or they should be basing his contract renewel on the idea that he was some sort of gamble (which he wasn't) but he absolutely pissed the first season of his tenure (he did grand but we didn't actually acheive anything concrete).

What has this season changed? Would we feel any less priveliged to have him if we hadn't gotten to two finals? Because we shouldn't have been - his record speaks for itself from his previous career, and I don't think his time at Liverpool does anything to change that.

It's just weird. Either weird in the forumulation of the original contract or weird to be offering him an extension so soon when we haven't acheived anything and he hasn't proven anything he hadn't already proven.

I think you're overthinking this. I think both agreed to 3 years and I think Klopp is loving the club and wants to commit to a long term project and the club are backing him.

Simple as that. Good news all round.

I think he's the best manager the club have had since Bob Paisley/Joe Fagan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

mormank wrote: »
    There's an LFC ticket thread??? :eek:

More to soccer forum that just this section ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055679049

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Klopp signs til 2022, best signing we will make this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Great news.
    Thought this was an interesting line from the press release
    Since arriving at Anfield in October last year, Klopp has focused on player and team development, allied with introducing best practice to all facets of the first-team environment. Liverpool’s owners believe that securing the services of a ‘world-class managerial talent’ for a long-term period is critical to achieving the overall ambitions for the organisation.

I think we won't be buying any 40m+ players & look to develop players & under Klopp I think it is something that can work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I hate to bring up old stuff but to be fair to Commoli he signed a good few decent names in time at Spurs and Liverpool. You get the feeling though the likes of Carrol, Downing, Bellamy and Adam were Kenny's signings. They were old fashioned British players reminiscent of Kenny's time.

Players like Suarez, Bale, Modric, Berbatov aren't bad players to have on your recruitment CV.

• Advertisement

While he has much more money to work with if he wants to spend it, it's always seemed clear that he prefers an approach that will disappoint those who demand "marquee" and so called world class signings

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

That's great news on Klopp.

Plays for Benfica story in O Jogo.

Cm0qg83WgAA_Wvc.jpg:large

Gbear wrote: »

It's just weird. Either weird in the formulation of the original contract or weird to be offering him an extension so soon when we haven't acheived anything and he hasn't proven anything he hadn't already proven.

The original contract was probably a standard 3 year contract, maybe they should have given him a 5 year deal? Has anyone heard of a manager getting a 5 year deal on his first contract with a club? I haven't, for a long time anyway, but maybe there are.

Its harsh to say we achieved nothing under Klopp. We were 45 mins from a European trophy, 2/3 results off CL qualification, lost another final to a much better side......all while playing young fringe players and bringing in no new players. We won nothing I know, but gained vital experience as a squad/club. Does that not count as achievements to you? If the 9 months proved anything it is that Klopp is absolutely the man for the job long term.

You said it was small time to offer Klopp a new contract with 2 seasons left after a failure of a season at Liverpool. I cant really agree with either statements. I'm happy that he's accepted longer terms anyway, this guy absolutely gets us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

That's great news on Klopp.

Love that photo :D

gNFC597.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Does anyone know how i can get my hands on a match ticket for the opener at Arsenal? Away end of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Great news.

I think we won't be buying any 40m+ players & look to develop players & under Klopp I think it is something that can work.

It does work as proved in Dortmund.

It will all depend on how much patience the Liverpool fans have.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Great news.

This is the thing that surprises me about our fan base. There's an awful lot that thought it wouldn't be this way, new contract or not Klopp was always going to go down the developing young cheap players route. It's his modus operandi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Re: Klopp's new contract, I thought it was just a case of FSG locking down one of the most important assets in the event that they do decide to sell.

Stadium improvements, self-sufficient, huge fanbase and a world class manager at the helm. If they do decide to cash out they'll probably triple the money they bought the club for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Any update on Benteke to Palace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

This is the thing that surprises me about our fan base. There's an awful lot that thought it wouldn't be this way, new contract or not Klopp was always going to go down the developing young cheap players route. It's his modus operandi.

It was a reasonable thought.

"Manager proves himself by developing young cheap players, thus getting himself an opportunity at a club with a bigger budget where he can buy&work with 'superstar' talent" - that's a fairly normal career path.

Many (on this thread) reckoned at the time that Klopp was happy to come here because he would be able to bypass the rough diamond phase and go to the finished article.

If Klopp has chosen to do it his old way then absolutely fair enough. But it was reasonable at the time of his appointment for fans to think that we were moving into a phase where now we had a 'proper' manager who was only going to accept the money being spent on confirmed talent rather than educated punts like under the old regime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Klopp will never sign for Liverpool I remember being told on here that was living in dreamland even saying it now he has signed twice in 9 months,

Klopp will never sign for Liverpool I remember being told on here that was living in dreamland even saying it now he has signed twice in 9 months,

Now it's "ha ha, he finished 8th with ye and ye are giving him a new long contract. Deluded fools. haha".

It's an evolving message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Like this one from the time
    Carlo or klopp is not doing to Liverpool.
    Absolute downward move for them.

I will close my account if that happens.

• 5starpool wrote: »
    Now it's "ha ha, he finished 8th with ye and ye are giving him a new long contract. Deluded fools. haha".

It's an evolving message.

Hi, I come in peace

Genuine question:
    I think it's a good move by the owners to an extent.

But what's the expectancy for Liverpool this year?

And if it's not achieved, by offering a contract extension already may it then be seen as a mistake?

I don't think anyone is saying "ha ha, he finished 8th with ye and ye are giving him a new long contract. Deluded fools. haha".

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Hi, I come in peace

Genuine question:

And if it's not achieved, by offering a contract extension already may it then be seen as a mistake?

I don't think anyone is saying "ha ha, he finished 8th with ye and ye are giving him a new long contract. Deluded fools. haha".

Top four hopefully, like Man Utd.

No, unless the team are playing bad football as well.

• Top four hopefully, like Man Utd.

No, unless the team are playing bad football as well.

Should a trophy be expected also?

Don't want to bring Utd into it but seeing as you asked, I'd hope we are aiming to Challenge for the title if I'm honest, top 4 is a minimum along with the potential of retaining the FA Cup or winning another one of the Cups be it Europa (I'd would question Joses commitment to this competition) or League Cup
    That's the pressure Jose is under, especially after the marquee signings and potential for more.

And now I leave in peace. Goodbye

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Hi, I come in peace

Genuine question:

This makes sense for Klopp as he will get more if he is let go if things go Pete Tong, and it means he can plan in relative security. It makes sense for the club in that if he gets frustrated or tempted and wants to leave the club will be in a strong position to get more compensation.

As for expectancy, I don't think there is one in terms of finishing position. I know that some fans will be frustrated if purely on the basis of lack of progression if the club still finish 6th-8th again (well most of us will be frustrated) but as long as the evolving feeling remains, and the prominse that things are changing which will lead to ling term improvement, most of us will remain optimistic about the 'project'.

In a league where Utd can contemplate spending 100m+ in fees for Pogba, and pay a 34 year old 350k per week (neither of which Liverpool can or will do) and City and Chelsea in particular remain much wealthier in terms of money to be paid in terms of fees and wages, there is ackowledgement from most of us that it is not possible to fight toe to toe in that way anymore, and that having someone like Klopp (or thankfully him specifically) is going to be our best hope of achievement in the short to medium term, and I for one am will ing give him time while it looks like we have momentum. If in 2-3 years time we are still plodding along in 6th-8th it'll either be time to properly accept that Liveprool can't even hope to compete any more or else we will need to try something new.

As for the last line above, I do know a few people saying that, but in part it is to get a rise, but also in part because they want to laugh at Liverpool.

TL;DR I'm happy with the deal and will ing to give him time and trust to do things his way with his players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

How far in advance are the fixtures sorted for Tv? Don't want to go buying a ticket in the upcoming sale to find its been moved to a random day/time :/

• 5starpool wrote: »
    This makes sense for Klopp as he will get more if he is let go if things go Pete Tong, and it means he can plan in relative security. It makes sense for the club in that if he gets frustrated or tempted and wants to leave the club will be in a strong position to get more compensation.

As for expectancy, I don't think there is one in terms of finishing position. I know that some fans will be frustrated if purely on the basis of lack of progression if the club still finish 6th-8th again (well most of us will be frustrated) but as long as the evolving feeling remains, and the prominse that things are changing which will lead to ling term improvement, most of us will remain optimistic about the 'project'.

In a league where Utd can contemplate spending 100m+ in fees for Pogba, and pay a 34 year old 350k per week (neither of which Liverpool can or will do) and City and Chelsea in particular remain much wealthier in terms of money to be paid in terms of fees and wages, there is ackowledgement from most of us that it is not possible to fight toe to toe in that way anymore, and that having someone like Klopp (or thankfully him specifically) is going to be our best hope of achievement in the short to medium term, and I for one am will ing give him time while it looks like we have momentum. If in 2-3 years time we are still plodding along in 6th-8th it'll either be time to properly accept that Liveprool can't even hope to compete any more or else we will need to try something new.

As for the last line above, I do know a few people saying that, but in part it is to get a rise, but also in part because they want to laugh at Liverpool.

TL;DR I'm happy with the deal and will ing to give him time and trust to do things his way with his players.
    I think all Utd fans will laugh at Liverpool and vice versa :P
    But yea fair point.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement