Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

If you offered me 4th place right now, I'd bite your hand off.

The league is going to be incredibly competitive this time round. Chelsea and Liverpool have no European football, meaning they'll be fully concentrated on the league. Spurs, Arsenal, City and United are all making strong signings. West Ham and Leicester will be knocking around there as well, but have European commitments to deal with too.

If someone were to tell me now that the Top 4 will be Chelsea, Liverpool, United and West Ham then I wouldn't be too shocked - but that would be an entirely different 4 teams to the 15/16 season. That's how tight it is.

Its going to be a brilliant season, I can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

@ M!CK^

The new contract for klopp is also a great thing because it means he can say to any potential transfers I'm here for the next 5 years and you will be too.
    Klopp likes to buy young players and to me that is a huge selling point for the club. Players might decide well I'll go work with him on the basis of that even if at richer club comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Klopp giving his best Uncle Ben quote :D
    "We are very much at the beginning of our journey,"

"I am the first to recognise that with this great commitment comes a great responsibility.

"There is much to do and much to achieve and we look to do this by being the most completely together group anywhere in the world."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36745294

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Should a trophy be expected also?

Don't want to bring Utd into it but seeing as you asked, I'd hope we are aiming to Challenge for the title if I'm honest, top 4 is a minimum along with the potential of retaining the FA Cup or winning another one of the Cups be it Europa (I'd would question Joses commitment to this competition) or League Cup
    That's the pressure Jose is under, especially after the marquee signings and potential for more.

And now I leave in peace. Goodbye

With the money United are spending and the talent linked it's above what Liverpool can offer. We can't compete with United for these type of signings.

I think United will go very close to winning the league this year but the top 4 is hard to call.

You have Conte and Pep coming to a new league, Jose at a new team, lots of new players for United, City and I'd expect Chelsea so depends on how quickly those three gel and get up to speed with the League.

Arsenal will be consistent again. Spurs should challenge for top 4 aslong as Kane stays fit.

New money at Everton, West Ham making good signing and if they keep Payet and then Leicester if they keep the team together and Liverpool improving and without Europe will challenge top 4 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Probably mentioned already but Brad Jones looks to have signed for Feyenoord......he was around Melwood training for the last few weeks I think, good to see him sorting out a move.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

It's gonna be total gridlock at the top this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

us and Chelsea will have no Europe which is a massive advantage.
    Spurs are going to crash and burn this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

More stability is only good, no?

I don't understand the argument that this is a bad move by Liverpool. Contracts are meaningless anyway. If the worst happens and Klopp does so well that he gets an offer elsewhere that he can't refuse, then we're further protected financially.

New contracts are merely a PR exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tony Barrett in the Times

Cm1udbjUEAAPmIe.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Rumours that the fa have received a work permit application for talisca of benfica.

Anyone ever see him play ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Tony Barrett in the Times

And let us all pray it doesn't go tits up

ricero wrote: »
    Rumours that the fa have received a work permit application for talisca of benfica.

Anyone ever see him play ?

Yes of course :p;) He was bought as Lazar Markovic's replacement which poses an almost philosophical question. If Liverpool buy Anderson Talisca did Markovic ever actually exist, was he merely an illusion?

Just remembered our first pre-season is tonight, i'm way more excited than i should be about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Vicxas wrote: »
    Just remembered our first pre-season is tonight, i'm way more excited than i should be about it.

Is it on LFCTV?

Proper football at last

I'll be there - in front of a stream cheering on the new recruits and Mario of course! :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I know it is the first pre-season game and it will be total horsecrap played at 3 miles an hour, but I'm still annoyed that I'll miss it as I'll be driving cross country to the in-laws :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Hadn't realised Burr was coming to Dublin at the end of the month. Don't know how I missed on that! Didn't think it was too long ago that I checked his tour dates.

Rodgers best bit of business this summer would be getting me tickets for that, I'd say.

Just on the Klopp extension, it sounds like we are in the capable hands of Klopp now and he has been given free reign to mold the club in his own vision.

Finally the manager has the only say over recruitment, he will live and die by his own decisions, the uncertainty over Rodgers reign gone, the manager doesn't have to settle for a player he doesn't really want.

In this insanely competitive upcoming season, I am quietly optimistic we can be in the mix for the title.

• Advertisement

Ugh just spent 5 mins of my life reading a piece of **** article from that hack Evans, where he went as far to say Klopp should have been punished by the club for failing to win the EL not given a pay rise.

WTF is this guys problems with the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

rob316 wrote: »
    Ugh just spent 5 mins of my life reading a piece of **** article from that hack Evans, where he went as far to say Klopp should have been punished by the club for failing to win the EL not given a pay rise.

Don't think he's ever forgiven FSG for letting Kenny go. Never passes up a chance to have a go at them since and by extension anyone they have hired since.

Tony Evans writes to his own agenda more then most ! I honestly wouldn't even read what he has to say to be honest.
    To me it was a great decision to give klopp all the power because if it goes pear shaped only one man can be the fall guy instead of this whole transfer committee vs manager debacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

price690 wrote: »
    Comolli also said the reason fsg gave him for sacking him was his punt on jordan Henderson who they felt would have to be moved on at significant loss.
    After FSG became owners of the club, John Henry used to correspond with Paul Tomkins (owner of The Tomkins Times) and ask his opinion about matters.

Tomkins learned that Comolli was sacked because he wasn't performing his job - he was supposed to run the player recruitment process and also report to FSG on the performance of his subordinates including the manager. Comolli dropped his transfer targets in preference for those of Dalglish and also sang from Dalglish's hymn sheet when it came to reporting to FSG.

After the January 2011 transfer window there was a deal in principle to sign Stefan Defour (€6M) and Axel Witsel (€10M) from Standard Liege in the summer. There were also deals to sign Nolito and Griezmann. Instead the club signed Charlie Adam (£8.5M), Jordan Henderson (£16M), Stewart Downing (£20M) and Craig Bellamy for Dalglish to build a British core to the team. Dalglish had told John Henry that if he got the players he wanted, Liverpool could win the league in the 2011/12 season.

Comolli had previously said challenging for the top 4 was a realistic target and when asked again about it said "Well if Kenny thinks so ...".

Henderson was signed to play in central midfield but was played on the right wing to accommodate Adam, where he was completely ineffective. FSG questioned the signing on that basis.

By Christmas it was obvious that winning the league was not a realistic target, Comolli was asked his opinion on how Dalglish was utilising the players and developing the team. Dalglish was also asked about how he saw the development of the team. Their reported answers were verbatim, at which point FSG decided there would be no transfers in the January transfer window - it was clear to them that Comolli could not be trusted to assert his authority over Dalglish and the relationship jeopardised the development plan for the team.

When the league form of the team collapsed, Comolli was asked for an explanation. FSG had already taken the decision that one of Comolli and Dalglish would be sacked at the end of the season. Comolli's answer was along the lines of "Well Kenny thinks ..." so he was sacked immediately - there was no need for him if he was just going to be the manager's mouth piece.

Mario not even in the squad for tonights game

Talisman wrote: »
    After FSG became owners of the club, John Henry used to correspond with Paul Tomkins (owner of The Tomkins Times) and ask his opinion about matters.

Tomkins learned that Comolli was sacked because he wasn't performing his job - he was supposed to run the player recruitment process and also report to FSG on the performance of his subordinates including the manager. Comolli dropped his transfer targets in preference for those of Dalglish and also sang from Dalglish's hymn sheet when it came to reporting to FSG.

After the January 2011 transfer window there was a deal in principle to sign Stefan Defour (€6M) and Axel Witsel (€10M) from Standard Liege in the summer. There were also deals to sign Nolito and Griezmann. Instead the club signed Charlie Adam (£8.5M), Jordan Henderson (£16M), Stewart Downing (£20M) and Craig Bellamy for Dalglish to build a British core to the team. Dalglish had told John Henry that if he got the players he wanted, Liverpool could win the league in the 2011/12 season.

Comolli had previously said challenging for the top 4 was a realistic target and when asked again about it said "Well if Kenny thinks so ...".

Henderson was signed to play in central midfield but was played on the right wing to accommodate Adam, where he was completely ineffective. FSG questioned the signing on that basis.

By Christmas it was obvious that winning the league was not a realistic target, Comolli was asked his opinion on how Dalglish was utilising the players and developing the team. Dalglish was also asked about how he saw the development of the team. Their reported answers were verbatim, at which point FSG decided there would be no transfers in the January transfer window - it was clear to them that Comolli could not be trusted to assert his authority over Dalglish and the relationship jeopardised the development plan for the team.

When the league form of the team collapsed, Comolli was asked for an explanation. FSG had already taken the decision that one of Comolli and Dalglish would be sacked at the end of the season. Comolli's answer was along the lines of "Well Kenny thinks ..." so he was sacked immediately - there was no need for him if he was just going to be the manager's mouth piece.

Whatever about the rest of, that is truly depressing if there is any truth to it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knex. wrote: »
    Hadn't realised Burr was coming to Dublin at the end of the month. Don't know how I missed on that! Didn't think it was too long ago that I checked his tour dates.

Rodgers best bit of business this summer would be getting me tickets for that, I'd say.

Nearly missed it myself, it's that Iveagh Gardens comedy festival rather than his own show. Still, Burr this month and Louis C.K. next month, what a time to be alive.

After the January 2011 transfer window there was a deal in principle to sign Stefan Defour (€6M) and Axel Witsel (€10M) from Standard Liege in the summer. There were also deals to sign Nolito and Griezmann. Instead the club signed Charlie Adam (£8.5M), Jordan Henderson (£16M), Stewart Downing (£20M) and Craig Bellamy for Dalglish to build a British core to the team.
    Whatever about the rest of, that is truly depressing if there is any truth to it :(

Dalglish should have been sacked then and there to be honest if that's true.

So it seems Comolli & The Transfer Committee were getting it right all along and the managers weren't.

Who'd have thunk it.

Well as I recall we were all pretty un-enthused by the transfers that summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mario not even in the squad for tonights game

If its rated on maturity he's with the u8's. The most unKlopp player to ever show up around the place.

• Advertisement

Is there a team sheet up?

Nvm:

13567331_10154470974222573_3857016983084511605_n.jpg?oh=70720ea275e769fbe1e22a41ce2130a7&oe=57F89481

The thing about Comolli I could never understand is how could the same guy sign a brilliant footballer like Suarez and then sign such limited players as Carroll, Downing and Adam?

Then you hear things like the TC had a deal for Mane and then we go on 2 years later and sign him for 3 times the price.

Maybe the principle of the TC is right just poorly executed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Nearly missed it myself, it's that Iveagh Gardens comedy festival rather than his own show. Still, Burr this month and Louis C.K. next month, what a time to be alive.

Are the burr all gone?

The thing about Comolli I could never understand is how could the same guy sign a brilliant footballer like Suarez and then sign such limited players as Carroll, Downing and Adam?

Then you hear things like the TC had a deal for Mane and then we go on 2 years later and sign him for 3 times the price.

Maybe the principle of the TC is right just poorly executed.

Read the article! He was weak in the presence of Dalglish so acceded to his wishes, his choices. Rather than ones the committee had recommended.

If Klopp has chosen to do it his old way then absolutely fair enough. But it was reasonable at the time of his appointment for fans to think that we were moving into a phase where now we had a 'proper' manager who was only going to accept the money being spent on confirmed talent rather than educated punts like under the old regime.

The regime hasn't changed, the owners still dictate and finance the regime.

Tried to sign up to lfc sight fir the month but keeps saying my email is invalid.

Any who I tried, PM me if anyone needs a river found a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Tried to sign up to lfc sight fir the month but keeps saying my email is invalid.

Any who I tried, PM me if anyone needs a river found a good one.

Are you using your phone while trying to sign up?

I've had a few sites lately not recognise my email address but when I use the laptop, it works now problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

This camera angle is a pain...

jasus ejariah is huge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

jasus ejariah is huge

Monsterous... i don't know much about him. Has he shone much in the u18s? Is that down to the fact he's a foot taller than everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If anyone has a Bet365 account they're showing the match.

Holy ****e, Ejaria is at least 12ft tall

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Monsterous... i don't know much about him. Has he shone much in the u18s? Is that down to the fact he's a foot taller than everyone else.

Ex Gunner, they released him and was quickly picked up. Initially he was hard to work out, seemed rather weak and even a bit lazy but in the last season he has come on in leaps and bounds, often looks like he is about to lose the ball and yet doesn't - has quick feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sakho's off the hook! Woooooooooooooooo! :D

JS56704519.png

martyos121 wrote: »
    Sakho's off the hook! Woooooooooooooooo! :D

Source?

Dave O’Connell ‏@DaveOCKOP 19s20 seconds ago

BREAKING NEWS: MAMADOU SAKHO HAS BEEN CLEARED OF DOPING VIOLATIONS. (Press Association) #lfc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Source?

Sky Sports News just now, case is dismissed.

Gotta say the team are passing it around nicely ! Not looking too bad at all for the first pre season game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Game is also on arena sport 1 in spanish

• Advertisement

Hope this doesn't slow down the redevelopment of the new stand now that Sakho is finishing up to go back training with the squad.

Then again maybe the will do a nixer on his off days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement