Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Apparently Grujic had to leave so he can come back.

Visa issues?

Damm Brexit kicking in :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think Origi can be that player in time I'm just not sure if this is the season for him. I'd love if it was.

I really do think you need to set your main striker a 20 league goal target for a season if you want to finish top 4 or win the league.

A 20 goal a season player inspires those around them to join in as can be seen from nearly every team that has ever won a league.

Setting a team a target to score a total is making the players look to someone else to score goals.

Rather than actually literally setting a number for them, I mean setting up your team for the top 4 to enable each other to score. Thats the model we look to be trying to move towards given the purchases or Firmino and Mane, and by not playing Benteke.

I'd be reasonably confident if we played him every game, and played towards him scoring, that Benteke would get us 20 goals. I also think we'd score fewer goals over all.

Of course, if there's a striker out there we could get who will get us 20+ league goals a season, and play fit into this idea, complimenting those around him (basically a fit Sturridge), then by all means we should try to get them.

I guess my original point was that as far as numbers are concerned, we have enough strikers for the system we use. If they're not the right ones, then, sure, we could sell one or two (on top of Mario and Benteke), and try to bring in better ones. I'm pretty happy with the level of our strikers though, so it'd be a very distant third priority behind CM and LB for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Visa issues?

Damm Brexit kicking in :P

Something to do with his work permit, he needs to leave the country and come back.

Pretty much like turning a computer off and on again.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    it'd be a very distant third priority behind CM and LB for me.

I think everyone can agree here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Nicely done lads. Good practice for all the players.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Something to do with his work permit, he needs to leave the country and come back.

Lets hope the work permit people aren't like the computer people.

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

FT Tramere Rovers 0 - 1 Ings Beard

Not as enjoyable as the first half but a few players did themselves no harm - Trent Alexander-Arnold caught the eye, Markovic if we ignore two easy missed goal chances did quite well as the half wore on. Woodburn was tidy, Ings full of running and took the goal well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sakho cleared to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Delighted to have Sakho back now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Grujic not there either not looking good for him then either ;)
    He had to return to Serbia to officially receive the visa. As a result he missed training this week and wouldn't have been selected for the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Vicxas wrote: »

Without the overheating and drumming noises I hope. Those Serbians can be odd though I hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Good run out. Ings took his goal well could of had another couple, think he will be a big player for us this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Liverpool and France defender Mamadou Sakho has had a doping case against him dismissed by Uefa.

"I am happy that this is finally over," Sakho said. "It's been a difficult time for me but I knew I had done nothing wrong,and that it was only paint fumes.

"I am looking forward to getting back in the team and painting again, in a well ventilated room of course ''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Klopp: "I know nothing about Fleetwood at this moment, I thought they were a rock band!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Guy who wore the Hillsbrough tshirt has been fined £600

Hillsborough T shirt slur man: I’ve lost my home, my job, friends, family - everything

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-shirt-slur-man-ive-11590043

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If Benteke is sold surely we need to sign a big name striker? We can't start a season relying on Sturridge.
    Origi and INgs are a goal every 4 games type players. We need a new striker,one that is first name on team sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Guy who wore the Hillsbrough tshirt has been fined 600

Hillsborough T shirt slur man: I ve lost my home, my job, friends, family - everything

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-shirt-slur-man-ive-11590043

Good enough for him ! Anyone that foolish deserves everything they get

Guy who wore the Hillsbrough tshirt has been fined £600

Hillsborough T shirt slur man: I’ve lost my home, my job, friends, family - everything

I don't feel sorry for him or anything but I definitely get the impression he's very remorseful for what he did and understands how awful of a thing it was.

As he said himself, it's no less than what he deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

If Benteke is sold surely we need to sign a big name striker? We can't start a season relying on Sturridge.
    Origi and INgs are a goal every 4 games type players. We need a new striker,one that is first name on team sheet.

Origi started 7 EPL games last season and scored 5 goals, something wrong with your maths lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If Benteke is sold surely we need to sign a big name striker?

We have Trent Alexander-Arnold thats 20 letters. They dont come much bigger than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

History shows Sturridge will only play about 40% of games.

Sturridge has managed to stay injury free for a while now. Maybe Klopp giving him the extra training and easing him back in/taking him off after an hour despite his sulking about it has done the trick. I'm not holding my breath though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I thought United had the poshest named player award sewn up for the next decade with Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, but this Trent Alexander-Arnold character puts us back in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I thought United had the poshest named player award sewn up for the next decade with Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, but this Trent Alexander-Arnold character puts us back in the game.

We have been crying out for some aristocracy since Djibril Cisse left

Chelsea have an U18 player called Malakai Hinckson-Mars. Once he comes through, there's a new king unfortunately. They have a few actually: him, Martell Taylor-Crossdale and Isaac Christie-Davies.

Double barrel city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

We have been crying out for some aristocracy since Djibril Cisse left

Does the count not count...

See what I did there.

Klopp plays with 1 striker.

We have Sturridge, Ings, Origi, Firmino and Mane that can play there, we are stacked.

Sturridge - we all know when he plays he scores. 8 league goals in 14 last season

Origi - a huge prospect, definitely showed he could be the main man in Sturridge's absence. 5 league goals in 16 last season but was a late bloomer and should really hit the ground running this season.

Ings - was really starting to show his worth before his season was cruelly ended. He's young, works hard and judging on tonight looks fit and ready to go. Expecting a big season.

Firmino - took half the season to settle in but he couldn't stop scoring when he did. 9 league goals in 31, very intelligent footballer and I see a lot of suarez in him. Could be a big season for him.

I'm very happy with our striking options.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Chelsea have an U18 player called Malakai Hinckson-Mars. Once he comes through, there's a new king unfortunately. They have a few actually: him, Martell Taylor-Crossdale and Isaac Christie-Davies.

Double barrel city.

Off topic, but this double barrel name action, where the parents both pass their names on, seems kinda like a dick move...sure, it's great for them, but what happens with Reginald Hucklebuck-Crossfit falls in love, and has a kid with Hyacinth Foster-Honeysuckle?

It's a custom that's only really sustainable for one generation, and just pushes the problem of dealing with legacy down to your kids.

martyos121 wrote: »
    I don't feel sorry for him or anything but I definitely get the impression he's very remorseful for what he did and understands how awful of a thing it was.

As he said himself, it's no less than what he deserves.

f*** him, the disrespectful scumbag. Sometimes you reap what you sow, as well as wearing that shirt he was posting crap on facebook afterwards. Wannabe hard man rubbish.

Wouldn't be surprised if his current situation was exaggerated to get a lenient court verdict.

Origi started 7 EPL games last season and scored 5 goals, something wrong with your maths lad.

Career total in league football.... 100 apps 21 goals ......... including cups 133 apps 28 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Off topic, but this double barrel name action, where the parents both pass their names on, seems kinda like a dick move...sure, it's great for them, but what happens with Reginald Hucklebuck-Crossfit falls in love, and has a kid with Hyacinth Foster-Honeysuckle?

It's a custom that's only really sustainable for one generation, and just pushes the problem of dealing with legacy down to your kids.

What happens when two double barrelled named parents have a kid?

Does the kid get a quad barrel name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

emmetkenny wrote: »
    What happens when two double barrelled named parents have a kid?

Does the kid get a quad barrel name?

You can have a quad name alright but you'll sound like a dodgy Law Firm throughout your life.

Awaits Bornetobywilde's picture of a quad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Seeing as though Ibe is one of the most valuable players in the world, and better than Sterling, surely we should be getting 90m for him, and not the pocket change 15m that has been reported?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Barney Ronay is having a ****ing mare on Twitter trying to stand over his coverage of Sakho. Like a herd of purpoises beaching.

corwill wrote: »
    Barney Ronay is having a ****ing mare on Twitter trying to stand over his coverage of Sakho. Like a herd of purpoises beaching.

Ah Jaysus...and I was just about to go to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Ah Jaysus...and I was just about to go to bed.

Basically his line is "buhbuhbuh Sakho pleaded guilty!" The thick ****. I think he might have been on the sherry, should have left until morning.

Edit - oh Jesus, now he's accusing people of being thick and dimwits, full blown Twitter meltdown. He's basically eating his own ****e rather than admit it's not the Mars bar he'd claimed it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sounds like the usuals from the doping thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Trent Alexander-Arnold with a barnstorming run

Trent? Powpow

Augeo wrote: »
    Career total in league football.... 100 apps 21 goals ......... including cups 133 apps 28 goals

10 appearances could equal a total of 25-30 minutes played, as a late sub, so it's hard to judge.

Minutes played to goals scored is a better ratio to judge by.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking of putting a grand on us to win the league.

I'd convinced myself that if we lost the Europa League final that we would have a cracking chance playing once a week under Klopp.

I'm kinda surprised and also disappointed to see we are only 9/1 and I don't feel it's good value at all but I'd still like to put my money where my mouth is.

I just can't get Klopp's determination, desire and belief in togetherness out of my head. I think it's half the battle to winning a title. Gloves off from game one. Kill and die for each other. That's the mentality that wins titles.

Any thoughts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Chelsea have no European football either, new managers ,new players, don't know how many more signings we make or others make ,bets on Liverpool are not at the correct odds because so many Liverpool fans just back em anyway, like a gamble myself but the thing i rarely back is soccer ,heart over head and empty pocket would be the result. Do you honestly think with the amount of money other clubs are throwing at the league 9 to 1 is value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

sword1 wrote: »
    Do you honestly think with the amount of money other clubs are throwing at the league 9 to 1 is value.

He specifically said he doesn't see value. Agree with the rest of your post though, there is very rarely value in backing a league winner unless it's a huge outsider. With how open the league is now it's a minefield in terms of betting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

duffman13 wrote: »
    He specifically said he doesn't see value. Agree with the rest of your post though, there is very rarely value in backing a league winner unless it's a huge outsider. With how open the league is now it's a minefield in terms of betting

Yes saw that after posting,should have read it properly before answering,either way if you think it is not value and you still back it goes back to my point on why i dont back football

10 appearances could equal a total of 25-30 minutes played, as a late sub, so it's hard to judge.

Minutes played to goals scored is a better ratio to judge by.

It's also a pretty dodgy/disingenuous metric to base a kid on. He's on a completely different level now than he was for about half or more of his appearances.

Over the course of a full career, it's maybe a fair enough appraoch, but trying to average out a rapidly developing footballers ability is just silly. Obviously he should be judged on where he is now, at this stage of his development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

corwill wrote: »

Not engaging with the thicks on Twitter but will "def write a follow up article."

That's one I'll be avoiding. No wonder the Guardian is struggling when it has arrogant muppets like Ronay writing his usual sneering articles.

• Advertisement

It's also a pretty dodgy/disingenuous metric to base a kid on. He's on a completely different level now than he was for about half or more of his appearances.

Over the course of a full career, it's maybe a fair enough appraoch, but trying to average out a rapidly developing footballers ability is just silly. Obviously he should be judged on where he is now, at this stage of his development.

I also don't think he played up front very often.

Reports gotze is leaving bayern and he is in talks with spurs. Honestly I don't think I'll be too bothered if we miss out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

rob316 wrote: »
    Reports gotze is leaving bayern and he is in talks with spurs. Honestly I don't think I'll be too bothered if we miss out.

Completely agree, while a great player, its an area of the team that is already the strongest. Lb, Rb cover and most importantly a deep central midfielder are needed. Then you look at the fact we have no-one in the squad who is a competent set-piece taker. Gotze isn't going vastly improve the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

did Sakko get off the hook, it's hard to understand what us going on

Don't see Götze getting in the Spurs team ahead of Eriksen tbh, all that signing is going to do is stunt Alli's growth as a footballer I reckon.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement