Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

Embarrassing from the club selling seats at that price.

No surprise though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Klopp admits the squad needs to be culled is running in the Echo this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Klopp admits the squad needs to be culled is running in the Echo this evening.

The names speculated are none more than we already figured out - the only "new" ones are Markovic and Wisdom and both of them are not great shocks but Lucas not mentioned.

Ryan Fulton will join Chesterfield on loan for the season

......... but ... not mentioned......

.... Lallana nor Henderson :eek:

Sure I read somewhere they should be both sold :confused: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The names speculated are none more than we already figured out - the only "new" ones are Markovic and Wisdom and both of them are not great shocks but Lucas not mentioned.

Ryan Fulton will join Chesterfield on loan for the season

Speculated is the word.

But if they cull the squad and take in say £70/80 Million and cut wages on Benteke, Mario, Alberto, Allen/Lucas, Skrtel, Ilori, Sinclair, Rossiter, Texeira, Enrique and Jones it doesn't seem they'll spend more than that on purchases in.

It's a bit underwhelming when others are spending big. We seem to be stuck in the same mentality as 3 or 4 years ago.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    .............it doesn't seem they'll spend more than that on purchases in.

It's a bit underwhelming when others are spending big. We seem to be stuck in the same mentality as 3 or 4 years ago.

The FSG way, however it puts us in very good shape to add one or two first first team improvements going forward. Should we get CL that revenue will go on the team too you'd expect. Coupled with Klopp's managerial skills it's not at all too bad a situation.

I don't think it's underwhelming, it's sound economics and they run the club as a business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

MD1990 wrote: »
    Much of it is pride in the sense they don't want to admit they were wrong. Allen haters all have one thing in common they hate Rodgers too. For some no matter how well Allen performs it will never be good enough. Its a petty & biased opinion . They also love the phrase manball.

Just saw this now, haha.

I haven't been criticising him much the second half of this season, nor do I want him sold tbh. The aim should be to bring in starters that squeeze minutes for Allen and Lucas, but keeping them around at the same time to build a squad capable of winning two games every week, which is what is required to challenge on multiple fronts.

And Allen was a signature signing for Rodgers, and performed poorly for much of Rodger's tenure. Like a couple of other players, his performance level has improved under Klopp. Long may it last.

Speculated is the word.

But if they cull the squad and take in say £70/80 Million and cut wages on Benteke, Mario, Alberto, Allen/Lucas, Skrtel, Ilori, Sinclair, Rossiter, Texeira, Enrique and Jones it doesn't seem they'll spend more than that on purchases in.

Why are you bothered by the net/gross spend? How much did West Ham spend last summer, how much did Leicester City or Spurs?

The progressive thing to do is back your manager that's what the club are doing. They'd have bought Teixeira in January but Klopp wasn't interested.

When the summer is over and Klopp has the best players he wants and that he can get (noting that circumstances vary from target to target - Gotze for example) does it matter if the spend is low compared to Manchester Utd (who btw have blown over 100m on duds in the last two years)?

Augeo wrote: »
    The FSG way, however it puts us in very good shape to add one or two first first team improvements going forward. Should we get CL that revenue will go on the team too you'd expect. Coupled with Klopp's managerial skills it's not at all too bad a situation.

I don't think it's underwhelming, it's sound economics and they run the club as a business.

Well more worrying would be selling our biggest signing last Summer a year later, and Balotelli the marquee signing the Summer before that, loaned out a year later and then sold. Hard to know what is the story with Markovic as well. Mig, Moreno, Lovren and Lallana haven't set the world alight either.

At least Klopp is getting the final say now but the same personnel seem to be there in the transfer committee.

Something needs to change because if we continue to stand still, other teams will pass us and we'll end up fighting for 7th or 8th never mind dreaming of title challenges.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Did you rate Benteke? If not then be glad the error made by Rodgers is being rectified quickly at no loss, Balotelli was never anything other than a panic misjudgement.

• Advertisement

Well more worrying would be selling our biggest signing last Summer a year later, and Balotelli the marquee signing the Summer before that, loaned out a year later and then sold. Hard to know what is the story with Markovic as well. Mig, Moreno, Lovren and Lallana haven't set the world alight either. ..........

Sure you could make a list of not successful signings for every club.

Sturridge, Coutinho, Firmino, Origi, Sakho and Clyne pass on their regards to you from the glass half full part of our recent transfers.

Being realistic we cannot expect Mane, Karius, Matip and Grujić all to hit the ground running either not to mind all to become nailed on starters, that's football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

People talk of Charity regarding those seats, so why not get as much as possible for them ? They gave fans first refusal to buy one that's all. We all know that they will all sell if those fans don't want them, and when they do sell the money should go to Charity.
    So asking too little imo .
    The issue is not the price, the issue is where this money goes.

Did you rate Benteke? If not then be glad the error made by Rodgers is being rectified quickly at no loss, Balotelli was never anything other than a panic misjudgement.

I rate Benteke. Should be at a top 5 club in PL or La Liga . He would eat up La Liga .

Funny thing about Benteke is when he was asked to come on and to make a difference he tended to do just that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

The progressive thing to do is back your manager that's what the club are doing. They'd have bought Teixeira in January but Klopp wasn't interested.

Yea, I suppose this is how Klopp wants to operate, we bought Mané for a big fee, Klopp obviously wanted him. Klopp, in effect, is probably perfect for FSG in a way which is why he got such a long contract.......if Klopp wants a player he'll be right for the way he wants to play for a fair price, he'll more likely than not favour younger players or those undervalued more often than not, its how he's always operated so no need to change a formula that has proven to work.

QFT! Anyone still expecting stupid cock waving type signings is going to be disappointed.

NukaCola wrote: »
    ...........its how he's always operated so no need to change a formula that has proven to work.

A "formula" yet to be tested in the PL.

All considered I reckon there was more than Klopp at Liverpool who were suggesting Mane as a signing, huge whiff of transfer committee off the signing. PL proven, young, get much of transfer fee back if required before contract expires. Not huge wage expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

QFT! Anyone still expecting stupid cock waving type signings is going to be disappointed.

But our utd buddies are waving thier cocks over Pogba and we've nothing to wave ours for.

All considered I reckon there was more than Klopp at Liverpool who were suggesting Mane as a signing, huge whiff of transfer committee off the signing. PL proven, young, get much of transfer fee back if required before contract expires. Not huge wage expectations.

The TC recommended him two years go so yes you're correct in that suspicion!

I could be wrong, but it was suggested that Klopp had tracked Mané for a few years, not sure how true that is though......every manager should listen to his scouts though and make a good decision on player recruitment, and then use those players as intended.

As a formula, I mean the way he works......it hasn't been tested in England but he has had success in the CL as well as the German league....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

I'm thinking of putting a grand on us to win the league.

I'd convinced myself that if we lost the Europa League final that we would have a cracking chance playing once a week under Klopp.

I'm kinda surprised and also disappointed to see we are only 9/1 and I don't feel it's good value at all but I'd still like to put my money where my mouth is.

I just can't get Klopp's determination, desire and belief in togetherness out of my head. I think it's half the battle to winning a title. Gloves off from game one. Kill and die for each other. That's the mentality that wins titles.

Any thoughts ?

Bet Victor are doing some sort of special sign up through the LFC website due to the new sponsorship, offering 50/1 to win the league. I'm guessing it's a tenner max though! I'm sure you might have some 'family member's who might like to sign up. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Those who are looking for a Marquee signing, who are you looking for? What position even?

The only place we actually need a potential big name signing is CM (we badly need a LB but that hardly satisfies this Marquee tag?). Get those two positions sorted and there are no obvious weaknesses.

The keeper is sorted, a new CB is sorted, pace in attacking positions is sorted. So unless it's a CM this 'big name' is to upgrade one of Mane, Firmino, Coutinho or Sturridge. Given we have Origi and Ings in reserve, I'd argue we don't need a big money attacking player.

I'm curious because I hear a lot of complaints about who we have signed or are linked with but not a lot of suggestions of viable Marquee signings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Serious amount of cash coming in with all these player sales.

I myself would be dissapointed if we dont spend it on a quality cm or lb. The wages will also be there so no excuses. Although i trust klopp to do whats best for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

ricero wrote: »

I myself would be dissapointed if we dont spend it on a quality cm or lb. The wages will also be there so no excuses. Although i trust klopp to do whats best for the club.

I've a feeling Klopp has one big signing lining up. Especially with these big names leaving.

Allegedly, I do have the internet amazingly enough ;)
    Was it Markovic we bought instead do you think?

Klopp wrote:
    I have followed Sadio for a lot of years since his impressive performances in the Olympics in 2012, and then watched his development in Austria and in his time at Southampton. Since I came here I have spoken to the staff a lot about him and have always felt he could be a very good signing for us.

From Klopps quotes seems like more of a mutual decision.

Allegedly, I do have the internet amazingly enough ;)
    Was it Markovic we bought instead do you think?

Yep that seems a logical deduction, and now he's off more likely than not

ricero wrote: »

Klopp has a Moreno mancrush that is getting annoying with every mistake though. He is clearly the weakest link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Klopp has a Moreno mancrush that is getting annoying with every mistake though. He is clearly the weakest link.

That would be Sturridge's body to be fair.

• Advertisement

Yep that seems a logical deduction, and now he's off more likely than not

I reckon that because the TC and Rodgers bought Markovic (and it seems likely Rodgers didn't want Markovic) that Mane wasn't overly as strongly fancied as we are being led to believe now ;)

We signed Markovic in July for £20m, Mane went to S'ton 2/3 months later for £12m and at the time there was noting in the media linking us with him. Mane was prolific with Red Bull Salzburg to be fair. Markovic was more of a potential type and he might never meet the expectation that £20m transfer at 19yo suggested.

No doubt his name was written on a white board some time in 2014 at Melwood or wherever the TC hang out but you'd want to be fairly naive to reckon all the TC except Rodgers really really wanted Mane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Rodriguez would be a nice signing for LB.

Had a long post typed out but lost it!

I don't look for marquee signings so that doesn't apply.

Looking at FSG signings, are they learning anything?

Success. Suarez & Coutinho

Good. Sturridge (injuries), Sakho & Henderson (debatable how good), Can, Clyne, Firmino (should be for money paid), Toure.

Average. Lovren, Allen, Cissokho, Lallana & Milner (looked good last few months but poor before that).

Poor, not up to standard, turfed out the door. Mig, Jones, Borini, Assaidi, Sahin, Adam, Carroll, Enrique, Downing, Alberto, Aspas, Ilori, Moses, Lambert, Markovic (for money paid), Manquillo, Mario, Moreno, Bogdan, Benteke.

Too early to say. Origi, Ings, Gomez.

9/34, 25% could be looked at as successful. More worryingly 17 or half lasted a season and were sold or loaned out or contributed little or nothing.

And yes, not every transfer will be a success, the point is we're standing stil if not falling back a bit. It's a lot to put on one man's shoulders to change everything around.

That's about £200 million wasted to put in money terms, more than what Suarez, Torres and Sterling took in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Quality left back is all we need. We are sorted everywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

....... the point is we're standing still if not falling back a bit. It's a lot to put on one man's shoulders to change everything around.........

When we got CL and the Suarez cash people (some) were reckoning it was our key to the bigtime, perennial CL qualification and frequent enough PL challenges.

As Man Utd and Chelsea have demonstrated you can't hope for/expect that anymore.

It's football, the PL is getting more and more competitive, English teams haven't been as bad in the CL since the 90s.

To be fair to FSG they seem well intentioned and business savvy, I don't think anyone expects Klopp to "change everything". Some might but it's a lofty challenge. The business model FSG are implementing is putting us on a very sound footing, that's crucial. Not that long ago we were dangerous close to becoming Leeds Utd ish. And if we did most of us would still support the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

FSG do seem to have a steady ( and successful ) busines model , But fsg , not Liverpool fc is the priority , fair enough. I'm happy with a well run club .
    As for transfers , the Euro's have only finished / still going for maybe targets . As has the coppa america so something might come up yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If we're going for the "marquee" sort....i'd love us to move for Kante.

Would immediately make us far more defensively solid and let the other midfielders do what they do best. Kante and Can would give a nice balance, with Coutinho just ahead of them, and Firmino & Mane to either side, off Sturridge.

A trio of Kante, Can, and Allen or Henderson for the tougher games.

Would give us plenty of rotation options while still being able to field strong teams too.

Kante and a top quality left back, and i'd be happy to call it a summer.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    If we're going for the "marquee" sort....i'd love us to move for Kante.

Would immediately make us far more defensively solid and let the other midfielders do what they do best. Kante and Can would give a nice balance, with Coutinho just ahead of them, and Firmino & Mane to either side, off Sturridge.

A trio of Kante, Can, and Allen or Henderson for the tougher games.

Would give us plenty of rotation options while still being able to field strong teams too.

Kante and a top quality left back, and i'd be happy to call it a summer.

The only EPL based player I'd take ahead of him is Aguero.

Hard for me to articulate how much he impressed me last season. Never heard of him prior to Leicester but looks good enough to play for any team in the world from what I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Had a long post typed out but lost it!

I don't look for marquee signings so that doesn't apply.

Looking at FSG signings, are they learning anything?

Success. Suarez & Coutinho

Good. Sturridge (injuries), Sakho & Henderson (debatable how good), Can, Clyne, Firmino (should be for money paid), Toure.

Average. Lovren, Allen, Cissokho, Lallana & Milner (looked good last few months but poor before that).

Poor, not up to standard, turfed out the door. Mig, Jones, Borini, Assaidi, Sahin, Adam, Carroll, Enrique, Downing, Alberto, Aspas, Ilori, Moses, Lambert, Markovic (for money paid), Manquillo, Mario, Moreno, Bogdan, Benteke.

Too early to say. Origi, Ings, Gomez.

9/34, 25% could be looked at as successful. More worryingly 17 or half lasted a season and were sold or loaned out or contributed little or nothing.

And yes, not every transfer will be a success, the point is we're standing stil if not falling back a bit. It's a lot to put on one man's shoulders to change everything around.

That's about £200 million wasted to put in money terms, more than what Suarez, Torres and Sterling took in.

Lovern has improved massively since Klopp came in. Lalana has nearly been the first name on the team sheet for Klopp as well.

I think it's unfair to include Markovic in the failure group, it's not his fault how much was paid for him. I never thought he'd be the type of player who can play loads of positions, especially defensive positions, and Rodgers mostly played him as a wing back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Lovern has improved massively since Klopp came in. Lalana has nearly been the first name on the team sheet for Klopp as well.

I think it's unfair to include Markovic in the failure group, it's not his fault how much was paid for him. I never thought he'd be the type of player who can play loads of positions, especially defensive positions, and Rodgers mostly played him as a wing back.
    Hopefully he can turn it around. But no way around it he has been terrible for us. Its often said he was played out of position but his best games for us was actually as a Wing Back. Also he still most of the games as a winger too.

I would prefer to sell him & buy another winger like Pjaca who was very impressive for Croatia. But if he stays hopefully Klopp can improve him like he did with Origi & can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

MD1990 wrote: »
    Hopefully he can turn it around. But no way around it he has been terrible for us. Its often said he was played out of position but his best games for us was actually as a Wing Back. Also he still most of the games as a winger too.

I would prefer to sell him & buy another winger like Pjaca who was very impressive for Croatia. But if he stays hopefully Klopp can improve him like he did with Origi & can.

I wouldn't disagree with that at all as he has been poor.

But he is an out and out winger and I don't think he has played that often in that position for us at all.

I'd give him one year in the league now and let him play as a winger and bulk up and see how he gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I don't like the way people are writing off Moreno. I want to get a new LB for competition, but I don't want to sell him. Think he could have a breakout season

8-10 wrote: »
    I don't like the way people are writing off Moreno. I want to get a new LB for competition, but I don't want to sell him. Think he could have a breakout season

He's 24 and doesn't know how to defend........He's fine when chasing a game but if you need to defend a 1-0 lead he will disappoint you.

emmetkenny wrote: »

Well considering Lovren was crap until the last few months and Lallana poor, that's why I rated them average over the last 2 years.

Markovic wasn't here last season, for £20 Million that's a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

He doesn't seem to be able to tackle correctly and that's a huge fault.

However, with Sakho/Matip able and willing to cover the space he leaves on the left, I don't think you can discount his effect on attacking play in stretching play out left and forcing defenders to factor in his pace into their poitioning when we counter. Klopp seems willing to forego some defensive solidity for extra attacking ability.

I'm assuming Matip will be a competent defender in that paragraph which may take some time to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

He was played out of position. He has great skill, powerful runner with the ball, excellent passer of the ball. When he was playing for us he didn't have much to aim at or good service still looked impressive. He will feature for klopp most like in away games against lesser opposition..
    To right him off is really embarrassing when he clearer showed ge has all the tools to make an impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Bowlardo wrote: »
    He was played out of position. He has great skill, powerful runner with the ball, excellent passer of the ball. When he was playing for us he didn't have much to aim at or good service still looked impressive. He will feature for klopp most like in away games against lesser opposition..
    To right him off is really embarrassing when he clearer showed ge has all the tools to make an impact.

Markovic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Anyone see that BS from Duncan Castles that Clyne was offered to Barcelona as a replacement for Alves but they declined. Apparently Clyne isn't satisfied by his status at the club under Klopp....yes the same Clyne who played over 50 games at RB, is the first name on the team sheet.
    Oh and we are just bursting with so much quality we are offering one of our best players to the best team in world football!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

rob316 wrote: »
    Anyone see that BS from Duncan Castles that Clyne was offered to Barcelona as a replacement for Alves but they declined. Apparently Clyne isn't satisfied by his status at the club under Klopp....yes the same Clyne who played over 50 games at RB, is the first name on the team sheet.
    Oh and we are just bursting with so much quality we are offering one of our best players to the best team in world football!

It's Duncan Castles...I don't know why anyone is surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

He has the physical tools, but unfortunately he has regressed if anything since he joined. Mentally, he's not at the races at all. Dives in recklessly in bonker scenarios, and honestly, he's not a threat at all going forward, as willing a runner as he is.

I'd easily take a fit Enrique over him, tbh.

I had very high hopes for him, but some of the stuff he does just baffles me. I wouldn't sell him, though. We don't exactly have any other left back in the squad. We just need to bring in a better quality one, and let Moreno compete against him, although that's far easier said than done.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement