Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Someone start a match thread, yes Liverpool are playing in a European semi final tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Someone start a match thread, yes Liverpool are playing in a European semi final tonight.

Sort it out, bluefinger, rules is rules.

I've sworn off them for life after the Southampton/Squirtle debacle. GP is saying I should consider electroshock, if I ever want to feel love or hope again.

I'm not touching it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Have to have a bit of faith lads :D. Match thread up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Surely it doesn't matter what percentage he improved because of the PED's, the fact is he obviously improved some bit by taking banned substances (otherwise he wouldn't take them) and that makes him a cheat.

Comparing him to other defenders stats is neither here nor there, maybe the other defenders are better players than Sakho but his doping has allowed him compete at a similar level to them?

No one can ever possibly say what bearing his doping had on the Liverpool results over the last while. Maybe it was nothing at all, maybe it was the difference between him making a few vital headers/clearances/interceptions that ultimately made a huge difference to his team?

No one can ever really say but I really hope he gets the book thrown at him. He's a cheat and football has to take a hard line on cheaters. And I'm not saying he's the only one or anything, but he's caught now and has to be punished to send out a message that this won't be tolerated in the game.

100% correct. Anyone who doesn't agree with this is in denial. We either want to strive for a clean game or not. Look at the mess turning a blind eye to doping led to in cycling. Despite the fact FIFA and UEFA became dysfunctional at the top level the grass roots is based on honest hard working people who train hard and compete on a level playing field. If you start to undermine that you are on a very slippery slope to destroying the sport we all love. Saying "they're all at it" or "loads of them are at it" is the laziest most irrational argument anyone can possibly make. Doping has to be challenged and stopped not excused.
    I think the real question is was he doing it of his own accord or were Liverpool complicit in this cheating? And if they were then I'm sure Sakho wasn't the only own gaining a "chemical advantage". Interesting times ahead.

If LFC management, medics and/or coaches were systematically doping players and I mean in a club wide coordinated manner not one or two rogue individuals it would effectively be the end of the club as we know it. Sponsors would withdraw, the global fanbase would disappear and we'd be relegated at least two divisions and be hit with the biggest fine in history and rightly so. I really think there is zero chance that is the case but you can never say never until all the facts are known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Can we get some scouting reports of Villareal from people who watch a lot of La Liga? I haven't a breeze about them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I'm getting the impression some people actually want this to be the case more than expressing any logical viewpoint.

It doesn't bother me one way or the other. I'm just saying that one of Liverpool's players has now been exposed as a cheat, it is possible that he is just a rogue individual that decided of his accord to go out and fill himself with some substance that would improve his performance.

It is also possible that whatever he took was over seen by someone at the club and that others at the club may also be in receipt of something similar to boost their performances.

It's a possibility. No more and no less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

30day suspension for Sakho from UEFA.

Not sure if it's a full ban but he'd miss the final anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sack him now terminate his contract he is useless to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

30day suspension for Sakho from UEFA.

Not sure if it's a full ban but he'd miss the final anyway.

Surely that isn't his full ban? Don't get me wrong, I'd be over the moon if it was, but is that just a provisional suspension pending a full hearing?

• Advertisement

Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho has been suspended for 30 days by Uefa after it opened disciplinary proceedings against him following a failed drugs test.

The suspension is provisional until a final decision is taken by Uefa's control, ethics and disciplinary body.

Sakho, 26, tested positive for what is thought to be a type of fat burner after the Europa League win against Manchester United on 17 March.

He chose not to challenge the results.

The date of a disciplinary hearing will be announced at a later stage.

The France international and his club had already agreed he would remain unavailable while a Uefa investigation was completed.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36161272

It's an initial suspension to give UEFA time to consider what if any further action they need to take against him once they have examined all the facts.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

martyos121 wrote: »
    Surely that isn't his full ban? Don't get me wrong, I'd be over the moon if it was, but is that just a provisional suspension pending a full hearing?
    That's just to cover the investigation they have started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Would be hilarious if Cissokho ended up getting the ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It doesn't bother me one way or the other. I'm just saying that one of Liverpool's players has now been exposed as a cheat, it is possible that he is just a rogue individual that decided of his accord to go out and fill himself with some substance that would improve his performance.

It is also possible that whatever he took was over seen by someone at the club and that others at the club may also be in receipt of something similar to boost their performances.

It's a possibility. No more and no less.

It's not really for reasons outlined in a different responce.

In order to believe it is a possibility, you'd have to believe that players are never tested for drugs after matches and training; and that every time a team has a player fail a drugs test that they are implicit. You'd also have to suspect the FFF of doping players. He plays for them too.

One of those things is factually incorrect, the other astronomcially unlikley (to the point it's never actually happened). So no - the possibility is not there.

So my belief, as I said in my first repsonce, is that people are thinking, "hey - it's Liverpool! wouldn't it be great, if.....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Would be hilarious if Cissokho ended up getting the ban.

Do they test Championship level teams......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

In order to believe it is a possibility, you'd have to believe that players are never tested for drugs after matches and training; and that every time a team has a player fail a drugs test that they are implicit. You'd also have to suspect the FFF of doping players. He plays for them too.

One of those things is factually incorrect, the other astronomcially unlikley (to the point it's never actually happened). So no - the possibility is not there.

So my belief, as I said in my first repsonce, is that people are thinking, "hey - it's Liverpool! wouldn't it be great, if.....

We'll agree to disagree so. As I said already, time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm getting the impression some people actually want this to be the case more than expressing any logical viewpoint.
    We'll agree to disagree so. As I said already, time will tell.

QED

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Do they test Championship level teams......

In his defence he's a couple of levels above that rubbish.

I'm amazed anyone can think it's actually 100% impossible that a club sanctioned systematic program of doping could happen. No one believes it's likely or that there is even a 5% chance it could happen but it's not flat out impossible. Even if there's only a 0.01% chance then it's still a possibility.

Athletes are frequently tested for drugs and lot's of them found ways to defeat such tests in the past by using other "clean" peoples urine etc. I'm sure it's much stricter now and that if Sakho passed a test earlier in the season it does indeed mean this was a once off kind of deal but we can't just assume that until the facts are known.

I also think the siege mentality that the world is against LFC is pathetic. The support and respect shown to the JFT96 campaign by clubs all over the UK and world wide shows how much goodwill there is towards the club not the opposite. Sure a few w@nker$ who support other clubs will always troll when they have an opportunity but that's life, don't equate their noise with the whole world being against us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Think it will be very similar to your line up but I think Sturridge will be on the bench and bring him on for last 30 when the games is stretched and spaces open up.
    I'm sure Klopp will be thinking, I need to get a full 90 from Sturridge in the home leg, therefore resting him this game.

Mig
    Clyne Toure Lovren Moreno
    Lucas
    Allen Milner
    Lallana Coutinho
    Firmino

I think he has to start and will start Sturridge.
    Firmino has been relatively poor last few games, albeit popping up with a goal here and there. I get what your saying with the work rate etc..
    But I think the chance to get an away goal on the break or to get something out of nothing up front Sturridge will start.
    He could possibly drop Coutinho ( as his work rate would not be as high as Lallanaa or Firmino either ) in order to have those three in midfield ( Lucas, Allen, Milner).
    I feel Countinho best work is done when Sturridge is on the field and if Sturridge is not there when Coutinho gets the ball and looks up, who's there? His effectiveness is decreased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

The reason I'm fairly sure that there's no systemic\club-side issue at LFC is that the club has leaked like an effing sieve for going on 3 decades.

If they had a game of "think of a number, any number", the answer would be on Twitter before anyone had picked up a Biro to write their choice down.

Think of the amount of whinging and bitching from ex-players over the last couple of years, wah, I didn't get to dictate my starting position, wah, Brendan told me i was wonderful and then didn't pick me, wah, Rafa never tucked me into bed with a lullaby and a hj, wah, wah, wah. Someone would have squealed.

There's more chance of finding Lord Lucan playing twister with the Abominable Snowman at Melwood than uncovering systematic PED programs. Look at us over the last few years, have our Ps been E'ed? Have they ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I see poor old Jose Enrique complaining he's not in the squad for tonight despite being in perfect condition.

Keep forgetting about that chap. Didn't actually realise he came through the Villarreal youth set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Actually forgot we'll have Joe Gomez coming back for the start of the season so that will leave us with Lovren, Matip and Gomez as centre-halves while Sakho serves his suspension and presuming Kolo and Skrtel leave. Can definitely see us bringing in a new centre-half in the Summer now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Actually forgot we'll have Joe Gomez coming back for the start of the season so that will leave us with Lovren, Matip and Gomez as centre-halves while Sakho serves his suspension and presuming Kolo and Skrtel leave. Can definitely see us bringing in a new centre-half in the Summer now.

Lucas has looked good there in the few games he played, i can't see Klopp starting him in midfield come the new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Milkers wrote: »
    Can we get some scouting reports of Villareal from people who watch a lot of La Liga? I haven't a breeze about them tbh.

Haven't seen a whole lot of them so probably shouldn't try to answer your question, but when I did see them they liked to counter attack quick with a solid enough backline, they look a decent side. They will cause us a few problems alright, I expect a tough enough game. Someone else here would probably know a lot more than my Michael Owenesque analysis though :pac:

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    I see poor old Jose Enrique complaining he's not in the squad for tonight despite being in perfect condition.

Keep forgetting about that chap. Didn't actually realise he came through the Villarreal youth set up

Perfect condition would probably require him to remember what its like to kick a ball though

Turtyturd wrote: »
    In his defence he's a couple of levels above that rubbish.

Lets not go overboard now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

NukaCola wrote: »
    Perfect condition would probably require him to remember what its like to kick a ball though

Ah no sure it's in his muscle memory

PS_zpsvi4mxzay.jpg

NukaCola wrote: »
    Lets not go overboard now.....

I was referring to Villa, who are a couple of levels below being Championship rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

bobby owes us a performance tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

We can't possibly know what impact Sakho's doping has had on his performances. Possibly the greatest impact could have been the placebo effect of believing you are benefitting from a magic potion.
    If football was really serious about PEDs there would be far more stringent testing, Sakho got caught and will serve a minimal ban and we move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Can't see Bayern wanting Mustafi if they're getting Hummels. Real already have 3 Cbs that I don't see leaving. That just leaves Barca. Mustafi would be a great buy.

On tonight, feel like it's going to be a long night without Sakho at the back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

£6.5m plus £1.5m in addons for Danny Ings we have been ordered to pay. A tribunal record.

Dominic King

‎‎@DominicKing_DM

Danny Ings tribunal settled. @LFC must pay £6.5m with extra £1.5m in add-on. Burnley due 20% of any future transfer fee. More on @MailSport

That'll do, Bournemouth actually deserve the money not Burnley!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its small money for a player of his quality and if he was to go on flop we would never lose money on him been English and relatively young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

£6.5m for Ings is a decent price. I wont complain about that.

Re: Mustafi - anyone able to tell me what sort of CB he is? Tall, strong, fast, ball-player, etc? I can't say I've ever seen him in action. In fact, about the only thing I know about him is that he was on Everton's books as a young lad, making one sub appearance for them while there.

Sturridge on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Sturridge on the bench

I understand the thinking behind it but I'd prefer our most likely goalscorer to be on the pitch. An away goal is always important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We either want to strive for a clean game or not.

See, this is all you need to say. Striving to prove something with stats, videos and manufactured numbers to actively show what he did as a result of drugs is a mugs game. There's nothing to back any of it up until we actually understand what it is he took. It's all just heresy, hyperbole and conjecture until we know what we're dealing with.

For instance, these things often seem to be used by players to recover from injury quicker, not necessarily to pass their natural peak, but to achieve it faster. In which case of course, the performance level would be normal peak sakho, we just would have benefitted from him for more games than we should have. Still cheating of course, but with completely different results than you are pushing.

We don't know. He clearly took something, and he's about to get banned for it. Trying to push anything more definitive than that as fact is just pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Sturridge on the bench

W4nkers on BT stirring the sh1t about him going to see the manager and where does he go from here.... Tossers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

W4nkers on BT stirring the sh1t about him going to see the manager and where does he go from here.... Tossers

On to the fucking pitch when Klopp summons him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

That isn't remotely near enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Klopp usually makes a nonsense of amateurs like myself second guessing his team selections but I don't get Sturridge not starting. Despite his mixed performances this season he is still Liverpool's biggest threat and in my opinion best player (could also argue for Coutinho).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

very nice

vhpxmr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Got greedy. Paid for it. Could be very costly.

So team Sturridge or team Benteke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

What a frustrating finish...

Felt it was a superb away performance tbh. People will complain about how "they were there for the taking" but they're LETHAL on the counter and we weren't gonna be committing many players forward. Not sure what Moreno was doing so far out of position at such a key moment. We didn't look threatened at all that game.

• Advertisement

Sighs.......That was so annoying, the tie isn't over but the use of the subs by Klopp is once again a bit perplexing. Bringing on a striker with 4 minutes left makes no sense. He should have either left things or stuck on Brad Jones to run the wing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement