Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Knex. wrote: »
    Have to be careful not to put too much expectation on Grujic after one preseason game against a League Two side, but he's probably better than Pogba.
    Mattheus, Beckenbauer, Charlton, Gerrard, Vieira - it's all over for you guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

DVDM93 wrote: »
    That said I had more post on my hall floor this morning than Balotelli has Liverpool goals. One of them being an Apache pizza menu, which will serve me better than he did my club.

Balotelli was as bad as your similes. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Too bloody right I do I celebrate every goal I score like it's the winner in a World Cup Final.

Just to rub it in ;)

Also known as the "Inzaghi"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Are you really getting optimistic after last nights game. Are you looking at the players MUFC, MCFC, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham are after. We need more players in, established quality players and pronto or else it will be another season of mid table meandering once again! I expect 2 quality signings before August or i for one will be switching to hd movies on the android box instead of sky sports!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The Euros have just finished. Players out there possibly on the radar that are not going to move just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Didn't see any of the pre-seasons games and likely won't but I think I'd be a fool if I didn't believe, that Liverpool will definitely win the league at a canter this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Didn't see any of the pre-seasons games and likely won't but I think I'd be a fool if I didn't believe, that Liverpool will definitely win the league at a canter this year.

You got 1 part right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

sword1 wrote: »
    You got 1 part right

No, I spelt all the words correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Tony Barrett on the new goalkeeper.

https://twitter.com/TonyBarretTimes/status/753507365668917248
    Possibly the most self confident player I've come across. Clearly believes in himself but has to prove himself now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Gbear wrote: »
    Balotelli was as bad as your similes. :p

minus the 'i' and you've just made me all just that... smiles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

£5.5m for Skrtel from Fenerbache, decent bit of business. Hope it goes well for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Young Woodburn looks like he will be a good player. He doesnt even have a wikipedia page yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Young Woodburn looks like he will be a good player. He doesnt even have a wikipedia page yet :)

Did you try searching Ben Woodburn? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

No Wiki page? Ah God love him, sure life is no use without a Wiki page! Poor auld Ben Woodburn doesn't even have one, there's a mission for you! :pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Didn't see the game last night or know anything about him but I'm expecting big things from him in the years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

anyone got the article as its behind a pay wall?

gafferino wrote: »
    anyone got the article as its behind a pay wall?

Tony Barrett Published at 12:01AM, July 14 2016
    Loris Karius has staked his claim to be Liverpool’s first-choice goalkeeper, saying that he expects to oust Simon Mignolet having sacrificed a place in Germany’s Olympic team in order to prove himself at Anfield.
    In a revealing insight into Karius’s character and self-belief, two of the qualities which prompted Jürgen Klopp to sign him from Mainz, the Bundesliga club, Karius claimed he is too good to be a substitute at Liverpool and insisted that he only agreed to return to English football on the basis that he will play, following an unrewarding spell at Manchester City as a teenager.
    With Mignolet yet to return to training following his involvement at Euro 2016 with Belgium, Karius is being given an early opportunity to prove himself in Liverpool’s pre-season matches and he does not intend to waste the chance, even going so far as to inform Germany that he does not want to be included in their Olympic football team due to club commitments.
    Instead of playing for his national team in Brazil, Karius expects to be selected for Liverpool’s opening two Premier League fixtures, away to Arsenal and Burnley. Should that happen, Mignolet’s status as No 1 goalkeeper will be lost after three mixed seasons.
    “I wouldn’t come here just to sit on the bench. That doesn’t make sense for me,” Karius said. “I’m not a keeper who hasn’t shown his ability. I know I am a good goalkeeper and I’ve shown that a lot.
    “I could have stayed at Mainz and played there. If I wasn’t sure I could come and play here this season, I wouldn’t have done it.
    “I spoke with the manager and we said that it doesn’t make sense for me to go to the Olympics as I would miss the first two league games of the season and of course I want to play in them.
    “We agreed together I wouldn’t be going [to Rio]. First I spoke with Jürgen and then together we spoke with the German people who wanted me to go. The priority is the club. It’s more important that I am available for the start of the season.”
    Regarded as one of the Bundesliga’s most promising goalkeeping prospects before moving to Liverpool in a £5 million deal, the 23-year-old has already had one brief spell in English football, having spent two and a half years in City’s junior ranks before joining Mainz in order to play regular football in August 2011.
    During discussions with Klopp before his move to Anfield, Karius was not swayed from the idea that he could hold down a regular starting place in the Liverpool team but he would not be drawn on whether he has been afforded any guarantees to that effect.
    “What we’ve talked about stays with us,” Karius said. “Of course I know that a club like this has more competition. It’s a bigger club and better players means more competition.
    “I am not scared or anything. If I was, I wouldn’t have come here. I have a good feeling.
    “I just need to produce my best and show what I can do. The manager has seen a good goalkeeper in me otherwise he wouldn’t have brought me here.
    “It’s good to be back in England. When I left City I was still really young and I decided to go somewhere else to get some first-team experience. I took the step to Mainz. I needed to join a smaller club to get my career going as a young player. I did everything right with that move.
    “I had almost three full seasons in the Bundesliga. I am still young but I’ve played around 100 games in the Bundesliga so I have some experience. I thought it was time to take the next step in my career.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mig's toast unless Karius drops the ball (and more than once).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Mig's toast unless Karius drops the ball (and more than once).

Hopefully he is decent as I can't face another season of mig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Looking forward to seeing what Ser Loris can do, alright. He's basically a taller, blonder version of Can. Arian Can, if you will.

Loris-Karius.jpg

Just look at that hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm in the market for a new jersey. Haven't gotten a name and number on the back since I think Fowler 9 on the ecru away jersey! But thinking about getting one this time.

Which would you go for? I'm thinking one of:

Firmino 11
    Grujić 16
    Sakho 17

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

8-10 wrote: »
    Firmino 11
    or
    Sakho 17

One of these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'm in the market for a new jersey. Haven't gotten a name and number on the back since I think Fowler 9 on the ecru away jersey! But thinking about getting one this time.

Firmino 11
    Grujić 16
    Sakho 17

Reus 3 (the traditional left back number)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Do people (by which I mean adults...) still get numbers on jerseys?

I had McManaman, Owen and Gerrard as a child but never went for anything afterwards.

A friend of mine had a horrendous run of it. Kewell, Cisse and another injury prone player around the same time that I can't remember off hand. Then a misspelled and wrong number version of "Riise - 18". His said "Rise 19"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Firmino 11
    Grujić 16
    Sakho 17

Our Year 17

Our Year 1 27

FYP. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Last player I got on an LFC jersey was Morientes on the back of the yellow jersey and I got a spain jersey a good few years ago with Torres on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Seen a 'Saurez' on a Liverpool jersey earlier, can't go wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

One of my favourite jerseys is the away kit from 2000:

e0103fb079e7e49fe3b6d2feebfc7a5e.jpg

I have Camara on it :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I got Voronin on the back of my jersey as I was sporting a ponytail at the time, it was a big hit with the ladies in nightclubs. No explanation for the number I got on it; '69'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Last shirt with a name I had was this

liverpool-fc-european-shirt.jpg

I had Babel on it... I still don't know my thought process behind that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

I've had some shockers along with some decent ones in the last 20 years. First one was Fowler 23 on the green and white checker board one. After that I've had the likes of:

Riise 18 - not bad
    Diouf - before I actually saw him play for us..
    Owen - a month before he left...
    Alonso - after the champions league win
    Torres - no more to be said
    Gerrard - had to get one with his name eventually
    Keane - didn't wear that for long!
    Riera - debatable
    Carragher - legend

Probably forgetting 1 or 2 but they're the memorable ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Firmino 11
    Grujić 16
    Sakho 17

Well something my younger brother said just the other day on the subject really struck a chord with me. He is only 27 and he said it felt weird getting a child's name and number on a jersey and wearing it himself. He said it was fine when he was a child and the players were older than him but not anymore. I'd be inclined to agree with him. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I got Voronin on the back of my jersey as I was sporting a ponytail at the time, it was a big hit with the ladies in nightclubs. No explanation for the number I got on it; '69'.

We all know why you got '69' on the back, you filthy animal! ;)

Names on jerseys ruin them imo.

The sponsor on the front is bad enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'd normally agree but the home jersey this season looks similar to the 13/14 warrior one so I wanted to differentiate and it's kind of a novelty as it's been literally decades since I last had a name on the jersey. Had Collymore, Fowler, McManaman....and I think Redknapp at one stage. Best one was still the old grey Candy one, had quite a few from the late 80s but no names in those days.

I'm leaning towards Firmino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Never had a name on any of the Jerseys I bought over the years.

Was close to getting Berger one time but never did in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

I've only ever had Gerrard, Saurez, Coutinho and.....Shelvey on my past jerseys

• Advertisement

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    I've only ever had Gerrard, Saurez, Coutinho and.....Shelvey on my past jerseys

ff4af07be918e11bc866cad3dba57c0a.jpg

Turtyturd wrote: »
    ff4af07be918e11bc866cad3dba57c0a.jpg

Cissoko?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Glico Man wrote: »
    Last shirt with a name I had was this

liverpool-fc-european-shirt.jpg

I had Babel on it... I still don't know my thought process behind that one.

Same as myself had Torres 9 on the back I think, had the one in celebration of the champions league win with Gerrard on the back that was my only 2, champions league gold one was deadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I have only had Gerrard, and Kuyt.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Cissoko?

Can see why he uses fat burners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Then a misspelled and wrong number version of "Riise - 18". His said "Rise 19"...

A chap in my secondary school had a Blackburn away jersey back in the day with 'Sherer' on the back.

The odd thing was it almost looked like the writing was part of the jersey and not added on or ironed on later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I put 8 and my sons name on his jersey, Gerard was gone already but it is nice to have his number, also if there is a marquee midfield signing there is a chance he might get 8 ,a bit of future proofing ,a jersey with a players name can become something to be hidden fairly quickly if they leave

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Can see why he uses fat burners.

Masking agent for fatness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Don't know what in the holy **** I was thinking of at the time but I had Ruddock on a shirt once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Had two LFC jerseys with names, Alonso on the 04-06 home kit and Aquilani on the 10-12 one.

Don't know if Aquilani even played a competitive game in that jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

I've had Torres and Harry Kewell!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement