Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

NukaCola wrote: »
    I'd take Shaw and Monreal over him in an instant. I'd be fairly confident in naming 8/9 better LB in EPL but without going through each club etc I'd be happy to concede that IMO he is a mid-table player.

Can he push on? I really hope so but there's an unpredictability to him thats defensively dangerous, ultimately I have no trust in him. I'd take a solid defensive performer than a speed merchant with disappointing end product any day so maybe its a personal taste kind of thing.

Yep all fair points. I reckon he suffers from the fact that he's always been quick. I feel it papers over the need for other defensive qualities when you're young so he probably never had to be in the perfect position to win the ball back when he was younger as he'd always outpace people. Go on to the top leagues however and that sort of thing gets found out easily, and his positioning is still worryingly suspect. We definitely need another LB, I'm just not convinced we need a new starting-every-game LB. City balance it well with Clichy and Kolarov both getting time, Chelsea too with Baba and Azpiliqueta. If we can get someone in who's good enough to play 12-15ish games and give Moreno the rest id be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Vicxas wrote: »
    I didn't see much of Newcastle play last year as their football put me to sleep most of the time.

Is he any good? Surely a defender is a more pressing appointment.

I bought him in Fifa 14. He turned into a 97 player and scored 60 goals in 2019 and had 50 assists.

I think that means he will be world class. So we should pay whatever Newcastle want :)

I also think it'd be great for Ojo to go on a season long loan to a PL/Championship club where he'd get 20+ games next season.

5starpool wrote: »
    If we were to sign Wijnaldum, then even allowing for Markovic as not being in contention (or sold), it would leave us with these players as attackers.

Wijnaldum
    Mane
    Sturridge
    Coutinho
    Firmino
    Lallana
    Origi
    Ings

.......... I know he can play CM, but surely his best position is further forward, which is why I have him listed there.

Unless Klopp reckons him and Can at CM is an option.
    I wouldn't reckon he is up to the Coutinho / Firmino standard and I don't think Mane fancied a move to Anfield to sit on the bench for much of the coming season.

Hopefully Coutinho isn't angling or a move.

This is a very strange potential signing imo all considered.

CM & GK was where we need a serious improvement imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I reckon allen and lucas are going

ricero wrote: »
    I reckon allen and lucas are going

Quite likely, replacing them with an AM though?
    Unless Klopp reckons there's a deep lying playmaker in Wijnaldum !! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

8-10 wrote: »
    Moreno looks like he wants to be at the club. He actually looks interested when he's pressing. Markovic is the complete opposite for me. It's been longer since he's been playing for Liverpool but watch back and apart from a short spell in a game in the CL where he gets sent off, try and find the kid giving any sort of hustle. Today was more of it and I just don't buy into the notion that if we keep him and play him in the first team this season that he'll be any better than he was before.

I'm not saying give him no time. I do think there's talent there and he might go on and make it. I'm only saying that it's not going to be at Liverpool so I really really want to see him get a move to another club. I'll still root for him to succeed but my fear is if he stays, he won't play and his career will stall further.

If people believe in Markovic, you should be happy to see him go to a team and a league where he can excel. I just don't see who's place in the team he's going to take this season and honestly I don't think his head is in it. I want him to find his place. He's looked so average in possession with some lazy passing again today and I have no idea why people call for him to be in the squad.

Moreno has had plenty of gaffes but at least he's got the hustle. I'm not giving up on him yet, let's see if Klopp does, and let's see what Klopp decides to do with Markovic also - I might be very wrong on both but just my opinions.

TL;DR - I want Moreno and Markovic to succeed as I think both have the talent but think Marko can only do so at a different club, Moreno has the drive to do it with Liverpool

Tbf it would be alot easier to run around and looked interested if you knew you were gonna start every week regardless of what you do on the pitch, good or bad. Give Markovic a season of the same leeway and you will see him blossom and express himself. He will never get that chance, luckily for Moreno we had no cover for him last season so he got that chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Would not be shocked to see Coutinho drop back to the No 8 position in a lobsided 4-1-2-2-1 with two from Firmino/Mane/Lallana/Wijnaldum in behind one of Sturridge/Origi/Ings

Karius
    Clyne--Lovren-Matip--Moreno
    Can
    Hendo
    Coutinho
    Firmino
    Mane
    Sturridge

Which can switch to a diamond, a 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 (trad) in the blink of an eye

Can
    Hendo----.......

One of them injured and you're in trouble unless Matip steps up. Not in trouble to be fair I suppose, back to Lucas or Allen if they're still about.... but not really up to what we should be.

I do like the idea of seeing Coutinho a bit less forward, would allow Firmino to be where he should be and so too Wijnaldum (if he lands of course) or Mane.

I'd love to see an end to the 3 #10s on the pitch :)

Which is why we'd all like to see a CM/DM type brought in but maybe Lucas will indeed be the one who stays as Allen leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Which is why we'd all like to see a CM/DM type brought in but maybe Lucas will indeed be the one who stays as Allen leaves.

Lucas has been a great servant to the club but id have him leave before Allen. Allen has a future. That said, neither of them need go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Lucas has been a great servant to the club but id have him leave before Allen. Allen has a future. That said, neither of them need go.

I'd let Lucas go tbh, I'd like to see Allen given a new contract If it didn't work out we could sell him next summer for at least 10 million anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'd let Lucas go tbh, I'd like to see Allen given a new contract If it didn't work out we could sell him next summer for at least 10 million anyway

He's out of contract next summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Can't wait till we sign Ragnar he will scare sh1t out every forward in the league.

El-personaje-de-Ragnar-Lodbrok.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Good Klopp Bad Klopp

7gaDZFs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wijnaldum yes please but its a strange signing. I know he can play CM but isn't he better as an AM which we are fairly stacked in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Ragnar is the Estonia captain too, so not to drum up expectations too much but he's pretty much the new Hyypia and Kolo all in one package.

ERG89 wrote: »
    He's out of contract next summer

Ya that's why Id like to see him given a new one as other wise he will go on a free next summer, I think give him one more year to see if he can push on after his great euros and if not then we can sell him next summer for a good price anyway as his contract will have been sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Can't wait till we sign Ragnar he will scare sh1t out every forward in the league.

El-personaje-de-Ragnar-Lodbrok.jpg

Just finished season 3 twenty mins ago. One of my mates is an extra in season 4. I could have been to but back when the 'tryouts' were on I had never seen the show and had no interest. Now I would love to go and meet Lagertha! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Can someone add Woodburn's missing Wikipedia page to the list? It's been mentioned four times so it's officially a thing now.

So the Rangar fella can play LB too.

Regarding the LB situation, have we completely forgot about Flanno? I mean he played his best football for us at LB. I always think of him as a RB but maybe its competition for Moreno he should be considered as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Wijnaldum was played as a central midfielder in the last few months of the season. Rafa must have seen something in him to keep him there when there were more obvious options available to him. I'm liking this squad we are building.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ya that's why Id like to see him given a new one as other wise he will go on a free next summer, I think give him one more year to see if he can push on after his great euros and if not then we can sell him next summer for a good price anyway as his contract will have been sorted.

Who's team did he sneak into for the euros? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

People are going nuts over wijnaldum. And not in the good way.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

jonnycivic wrote: »

He is clearly talking about Joe Allen, so Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

rob316 wrote: »
    Wijnaldum yes please but its a strange signing. I know he can play CM but isn't he better as an AM which we are fairly stacked in?
    Well we have lost Ibe, we may well lose Marko now. And I think we may be willing to let Brannagan go on loan if we had enough cover, he's yet to have a loan spell and he's 20 now. Remember how Danny Murphy went back to Crewe for 6 months and came back straight into the team?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

He is clearly talking about Joe Allen, so Wales.

So Allen and Lucas both only have 1 year left on their contracts :eek:

I also see rumour of Mr. Allen to Man Utd this morning...... dont know how I feel about that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Hoki wrote: »
    Wijnaldum was played as a central midfielder in the last few months of the season. Rafa must have seen something in him to keep him there when there were more obvious options available to him. I'm liking this squad we are building.

I recall him getting dropped for a few games near the end though.

I don't see the need for that signing unless another attacking midfielder alongside markovic is being sold.

Coutinho to Barca.
    You shut your wh*re mouth! :angry:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I also see rumour of Mr. Allen to Man Utd this morning...... dont know how I feel about that now.

Feel stupid for believing it.

Klopp says he will take two academy players to the States but I suppose who they are depenmds on who he thinks is an academy player - Kent, Brannagan etc are now first teamers hopefully Woodburn and Eljaria are the to he has in mind.
    Apparently Woodburn needs to stay for school (A levels this year?), and I don't think Ejaria or TAA have done quite enough, in a position we are pretty well stocked (assuming Stewart and Randall not considered kids). Kent and Brannagan for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

He has not posted here in a while alright...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Seems they both do, yep. This is Lucas' 10th season (if he stays) so I wouldn't begrudge him leaving on a free with a nice payday somewhere, although unless we get in a superior player I don't want to see him leave either.

Allen probably doesn't want to sign a new contract to get 10-20 games a season with us, including subs, and I can't really blame him, but I doubt he would go to Utd for a couple of reasons. 1. I doubt they want him, and 2. I doubt we'd sell to them anyhow.

I think we have some very good and some brilliant attacking options. If we could recruit a genuine controlling midfielder and a LB better than Moreno, I honestly see a squad ready to challenge for the league.

As is we will be challenging for top 4, really hope we can push on in the next few weeks and fill those gaps. I'm not looking for star names just functional players who fit into Klopp's system.

....a genuine controlling midfielder and a LB better than Moreno..........

With Flannagan, Gomez and Moreno I'd sacrifice the new LB if we got the CM you allude to :)

Of course, Matip, Can or the chap from Newcastle might well be what we need, or maybe Klopp doesn't want a controlling CM :)

Seems they both do, yep. This is Lucas' 10th season (if he stays) so I wouldn't begrudge him leaving on a free with a nice payday somewhere, although unless we get in a superior player I don't want to see him leave either.

Allen probably doesn't want to sign a new contract to get 10-20 games a season with us, including subs, and I can't really blame him, but I doubt he would go to Utd for a couple of reasons. 1. I doubt they want him, and 2. I doubt we'd sell to them anyhow.

If we had to choose between them both and only keep 1 then I would keep Lucas.

Allen to UTD seems a bit bizzare but it is Mourhino that is in charge there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

"X Liverpool Player to United" or vice versa is just pure clickbait fabrication. You get clicks from fans of the two most widely-supported English teams - and then the story gets shared everywhere as people argue over it.

It's been over 50 years since a player moved between Liverpool and United - the animosity between the two clubs means it'll never happen.

Ojo starting for England U19s at 11 AM for anyone with access and the time to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Upgrading from Schweinsteiger with Allen makes sense but I doubt the non transferring between clubs will just suddenly end because Mourinho is there.

Umaro wrote: »
    "X Liverpool Player to United" or vice versa is just pure clickbait fabrication. You get clicks from fans of the two most widely-supported English teams - and then the story gets shared everywhere as people argue over it.

It's been over 50 years since a player moved between Liverpool and United - the animosity between the two clubs means it'll never happen.

Actually didnt one of the youngsters join from UTD to Liverpool a couple of years back? (Name escapes me at the moment but it was around the time of Owen in madrid etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

So the Rangar fella can play LB too.

Regarding the LB situation, have we completely forgot about Flanno? I mean he played his best football for us at LB. I always think of him as a RB but maybe its competition for Moreno he should be considered as.

Up until he got injured he was playing great stuff but when he came back he looked off the pace big time. He signed a new contract last year so klopp rates him but I'd still prefer us to bring someone in a guaranteed starter if you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

A feed of bad Guinness wouldn't sicken me as much as it would to see Allen move to them lot.

The only place Joe Allen ever had to sneak into was my heart,......😢 sniff

Very good article on the Norse God of Defence.......

Similar to Matip in so far as he could potentially do a job in CM, to be fair considering that Can is presumably far from finished development wise we mightn't be too badly stocked in CM with if Hendo gets back to where he was and Can continues to impress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

He'd be dead to me if he went to Utd..

Then again he'd probably rise again on the 3rd day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Vicxas wrote: »
    People are going nuts over wijnaldum. And not in the good way.

Did these people watch Newcastle at all last season? Even Liverpool's trip to St James'? The lad gave a very good account of himself.

He outscored every player at Liverpool while playing for a team that got relegated. A Steve McLaren team that got relegated.

Ojo with his third "assist" of the Euro U19s today (two in the first game), he is played as a winger but I think he's better inside myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Did these people watch Newcastle at all last season? Even Liverpool's trip to St James'? The lad gave a very good account of himself.

He outscored every player at Liverpool while playing for a team that got relegated. A Steve McLaren team that got relegated.

I think he would be a good signing. Just because he played in a bad team does not mean he's a bad player.

We do seem to continue the trend of signing players who've scored against us though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ojo with his third "assist" of the Euro U19s today (two in the first game), he is played as a winger but I think he's better inside myself.

:eek: I know you have a soft spot for our younger players but Jaysus!!! :pac:

oh-matron.jpg?w=585

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement