Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

ricero wrote: »
    I love gary medel. Absolute tough bastard.

Rumours that newcastle want lucas as part of the deal

Benitez did have a special spot for Lucas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

CnqhHh8WYAAfGs2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I for one will be very happy with the signing of (Sergio) Georgini Winaldum. :P
    He is a fantastic finisher, one of the best finishers in the league last year imo despite not even being a striker. Seriously, go back through his goals last season and you will see some of the most composed finishes of the season.
    I really like the way the squad is shaping up, alot of very competent players without being superstars. Looks like it'll be a team that will be greater than the sum of it's parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

cjmc wrote: »
    I suppose your right :( he didnt play much last year to see him regularly
    Gbear sums it up nicely, I think.
    Gbear wrote: »
    I'm praying for a recovery. He doesn't sprint anymore.

I don't like him as a lone striker, and 3 strikers is too many for that anyway, but we also have too many AMs.

I don't know how he's going to shuffle them.
    Tactically, Origi or Ings are a better fit for our squad, but neither have the goalscoring pedigree.

At least we can be fairly sure of having strong teams for the cups.
    +1

Looking at him after he came back, it looked like he was holding himself back and was afraid he was going to injure himself again. He was always very fast over the first 2-3 yards but that burst seems absent now.

Is it gone as a result of injuries or lack of belief, that's the question for me now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

We should offer 10M + lucas + Flanagan.

There two players, not wanted by klopp. The squad is trimmed by 1 player, and klopp has a player he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I reckon even Newcastle would run a mile from Flanagan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Klopp clearly building a squad this summer which is great but there are still two big weaknesses to be addressed, namely CM and LB. Chilwell seems to be the only solid link for LB which is slightly worrying given his inexperience and the sheer awfulness of Moreno.
    Also, more urgent as far as I'm concerned is a commanding CM. We simply don't have one and with Lucas looking likely - I love a bit of alliteration - to leave, that leaves us even lighter there. I still believe we'll recruit someone for that area although reports suggest we're almost done.
    The lad from Newcastle is a decent player and an upgrade on Ibe but I'd rather we spent on other areas first.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    At least we know Sturridge can't/won't:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

mosstin wrote: »
    Klopp clearly building a squad this summer which is great but there are still two big weaknesses to be addressed, namely CM and LB. Chilwell seems to be the only solid link for LB which is slightly worrying given his inexperience and the sheer awfulness of Moreno.
    Also, more urgent as far as I'm concerned is a commanding CM. We simply don't have one and with Lucas looking likely - I love a bit of alliteration - to leave, that leaves us even lighter there. I still believe we'll recruit someone for that area although reports suggest we're almost done.
    The lad from Newcastle is a decent player and an upgrade on Ibe but I'd rather we spent on other areas first.

We can't fix everything in one summer. If they think that in a year or two Chilwell can be a top class fullback then he's who they should buy. Moreno isn't going to be sold so if we brought in another one then Chilwell would never get game time. Moreno is in the 4th-10th best lb in the league area, he's basically the Kyle Walker of left backs. And Spurs finished top 4 last year. I do think his weakness (which he defo very much has) were exposed due to a lack of protection from midfield when he overlapped. For all his strengths Coutinho can be choosy about when to cover. I'm hoping we'll have one of our two more mobile cbs (Sakho and Matip) out there to cover for him.

People criticise his attacking play but he creates space for others. His own final ball is often lacking but if it wasn't he'd be a winger. He creates space for Coutinho, Firmino and Sturridge and thats pretty invaluable against packed defences. He also has great recovery speed. Looking at Squawka he made two defensive errors last year leading to zero goals (in the league). He could 100% be upgraded but he's not as bad as people make him out to be. Part of it is 100% perception based. When he misplaces a pass there's about 30 posts in a match thread about it.

I do find it interesting that Klopp is looking at Chilwell who's much more of a defender first and outlet second by all accounts. I wonder if the long term plan is to have both and use them on a match by match basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Turtyturd wrote: »

But only if it was televised live.

• Advertisement

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    We can't fix everything in one summer. If they think that in a year or two Chilwell can be a top class fullback then he's who they should buy. Moreno isn't going to be sold so if we brought in another one then Chilwell would never get game time. Moreno is in the 4th-10th best lb in the league area, he's basically the Kyle Walker of left backs. And Spurs finished top 4 last year. I do think his weakness (which he defo very much has) were exposed due to a lack of protection from midfield when he overlapped. For all his strengths Coutinho can be choosy about when to cover. I'm hoping we'll have one of our two more mobile cbs (Sakho and Matip) out there to cover for him.

People criticise his attacking play but he creates space for others. His own final ball is often lacking but if it wasn't he'd be a winger. He creates space for Coutinho, Firmino and Sturridge and thats pretty invaluable against packed defences. He also has great recovery speed. Looking at Squawka he made two defensive errors last year leading to zero goals (in the league). He could 100% be upgraded but he's not as bad as people make him out to be. Part of it is 100% perception based. When he misplaces a pass there's about 30 posts in a match thread about it.

I do find it interesting that Klopp is looking at Chilwell who's much more of a defender first and outlet second by all accounts. I wonder if the long term plan is to have both and use them on a match by match basis.

Well I wasn't suggesting we rectify everything in one summer in fairness. The Moreno thing - you can intellectualise his contributions all you want as far as I'm concerned but I watched him - as did anyone who follows us - very closely, and he's awful. That 'tackle' at the start of the EL final summed him up for me. So many other examples, not least the tackle against Norwich, was it? Utterly brainless player.

And we have Brad Smith there too but is he too attack minded like Moreno?

Either way, it looks like he will get little game time barring injury.

Obligatory youtube video of Windy playing in a 2 man midfield...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Has Chilwell even played a senior game of football yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Has Klopp píssed in Tony Evans cornflakes? Seems to be rant rant rant with him.

razorblunt wrote: »

No but FSG did though :P

Has Chilwell even played a senior game of football yet?

8 games for Huddersfield... next Maldini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

razorblunt wrote: »

Had inside lines on info. within the club until FSG arrived and seemingly brought down the shutters on him not long after. That, and the sacking of Kenny. He's as bitter as f*ck ever since. Even when he's making a good point (and he often has one to make), he can't help himself and smothers it in peevish bitchiness. Not an iota of balance in his coverage of the club.

8 games for Huddersfield... next Maldini.

The club will never learn the lesson stop buying "next" it's like buying Italian we have no luck with them

'The Liverpool boss has advised them to leave and in addition to Benteke, wants to move out Lucas, Adam Bogdan, Tiago Ilori, Mario Balotelli and Lazar Markovic.' - David Anderson in the mirror - he was the one with the Ibe to Bournemouth story first I think. ..........

Looks like we might see who's really boss :pac:

Bit of a sh1tter for Markovic when both Rodgers (definitely) and Klopp (seemingly) didn't/don't rate him.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The club will never learn the lesson stop buying "next" it's like buying Italian we have no luck with them

Is there more talk about Chilwell? I haven't seen anything recently to suggest we're going to buy him. Even if we did I can't see him being anything but backup. Klavan can play at left back too as well.
    Augeo wrote: »
    Looks like we might see who's really boss :pac:

Bit of a sh1tter for Markovic when both Rodgers (definitely) and Klopp (seemingly) didn't/don't rate him.

If he isn't good enough to be considered in the plans he should be shipped off for the best price possible. I don't care about Markovic going, but much as I'd be personally sad to see Lucas go, and disagree with selling him, the same applies if he is not in Klopp's plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Overall, we're probably well into a healthy profit on the 'next' buys i'd say though. It's a good strategy for a) building a good farm of young guys who could potentially break into the first team, and b) effectively building a player factory of guys we can sell.

All good as long as it doesn't impede on ensuring the first team is as strong as it can be.

This certainly works best in the 14 to 17 category alright though...once you're getting into 19 year old years, anyone that stands out at that age is already going to cost a pretty penny.

Just saw this on twitter. Unsurprising to all of us I'd say.

Most woodwork shots in the Premier League since 2011/12:

Liverpool (105)
    Man City (89)
    Man Utd (78)
    Arsenal (78)

5starpool wrote: »
    Is there more talk about Chilwell? I haven't seen anything recently to suggest we're going to buy him. Even if we did I can't see him being anything but backup. Klavan can play at left back too as well

No Idea if we are back in for him I just saw a couple of posts here and other places saying he would be better than Moreno yet I wasn't even sure he played a senior game of football how anyone could judge someone to be better than Moreno who hadn't played senior football is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Liverpool (105)
    Man City (89)
    Man Utd (78)
    Arsenal (78)

Only surprise is we're not winning that ny more !

Liverpool (105)
    Man City (89)
    Man Utd (78)
    Arsenal (78)

You're never gonna believe us......
    We won the woodwork league

Bogdan to Wigan, sad times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Did we just forget to put him on the bus back yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Liverpool (105)
    Man City (89)
    Man Utd (78)
    Arsenal (78)
    It's as if we used up all our luck in the 2005 CL final as we have had very little in the past few years.
    I know some say you make your luck & the best team always wins but its not always that simple.

I wonder does he know Dave Whelan won the FA Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

kfallon wrote: »
    Did we just forget to put him on the bus back yesterday?

lol!

While he was terrible, he was better than Jones at least! Awful keeper, Jones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Imagine having a decent second keeper......

ah you knew what I was going to say didn't you?! So I don't need to :pac:

Just had a look and Jones has 132 games in 16 years of club football!

I'll never forget his spectacularly bad performance against United (after Rodgers started him in some sort of bizarre self immolating, sadist move). Probably the worst GK performance ive ever seen.

Plenty of fans called for Jones to play.."He can't be any worse than Mignolet" they said.

Well we brought in the manager that historically speaking makes the "next" into "current". I'm all in on Klopp... but i was also all in on Rodgers... i was all out on Voldemort tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Well we brought in the manager that historically speaking makes the "next" into "current". I'm all in on Klopp... but i was also all in on Rodgers... i was all out on Voldemort tho.

Poor Jonjo :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Wijnaldum will surprise a lot next season if we get him. Very good signing for 20 million. We should have went for him when he was in holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Liverpool (105)
    Man City (89)
    Man Utd (78)
    Arsenal (78)

Who could have predicted arsenal in 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

MD1990 wrote: »
    It's as if we used up all our luck in the 2005 CL final as we have had very little in the past few years.
    I know some say you make your luck & the best team always wins but its not always that simple.

I know what you mean but it's strange in a way that people equate hitting the post with luck. It's just a slightly less inaccurate shot than kicking it wide. Accurate shooting is surely a skill, so learn to kick the fking ball straighter fellas!

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Just had a look and Jones has 132 games in 16 years of club football!

I'll never forget his spectacularly bad performance against United (after Rodgers started him in some sort of bizarre self immolating, sadist move). Probably the worst GK performance ive ever seen.

Didn't he leave in 4 on his Shelbourne debut? Think they still managed to win tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Who could have predicted arsenal in 4th

They were probably leading the table until Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Great article from Matt Stead on Klopp and "Marquee" players:

http://www.football365.com/news/does-jurgen-klopp-need-a-marquee-signing

Vicxas wrote: »
    Great article from Matt Stead on Klopp and "Marquee" players:

http://www.football365.com/news/does-jurgen-klopp-need-a-marquee-signing

There will be no marquee signings this summer.
    Klopp made his pitch to FSG, they don't want to get involved in the transfer circus and, besides, we only make about a tent of what clubs such as United do from the commercial side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Klopp made his pitch to FSG, they don't want to get involved in the transfer circus and, besides, we only make about a tent of what clubs such as United do from the commercial side of things.

Hopefully we have a good start and a good autumn or we could be heading into a winter of our discount tent

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Hopefully we have a good start and a good autumn or we could be heading into a winter of our discount tent

:D nice darts!!

Cartman78 wrote: »

Where net spend takes on a whole new meaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If you settle for a tent you'll never have a marquee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Feeling totally underwhelmed here. I know Klopp is a great coach and motivator, but I really am struggling to see how he is going to be able to transform a batch of average players into a team that can compete in the top 4. In a year where Chelsea and United both imploded, we still finished nowhere, so with renewed focus from those teams (not to mention a pile of extra cash), how do we compete this year? If anything, I have more fear that Spurs consolidate their superiority over us, and perhaps the likes of a West Ham or Southampton catch us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Feeling totally underwhelmed here. I know Klopp is a great coach and motivator, but I really am struggling to see how he is going to be able to transform a batch of average players into a team that can compete in the top 4. In a year where Chelsea and United both imploded, we still finished nowhere, so with renewed focus from those teams (not to mention a pile of extra cash), how do we compete this year? If anything, I have more fear that Spurs consolidate their superiority over us, and perhaps the likes of a West Ham or Southampton catch us.

ranieri-cropped_pbm4azcm1md16gah8iks4p9i.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Money has nothing to do with it; we're just taking an idealistic approach, not a pragmatic one.

Spending more money on transfers after a huge windfall is the obvious thing to do when you've just come 8th. But FSG and Klopp would rather a Zielinski for £10m than a Kante at £30m, on principle. The problem with this approach of course is that every other team realistically competing with us is spending the money on established first-teamers and are drastically improving their first XI. Klopp has his work cut out for him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement