Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Feeling totally underwhelmed here. I know Klopp is a great coach and motivator, but I really am struggling to see how he is going to be able to transform a batch of average players into a team that can compete in the top 4. In a year where Chelsea and United both imploded, we still finished nowhere, so with renewed focus from those teams (not to mention a pile of extra cash), how do we compete this year? If anything, I have more fear that Spurs consolidate their superiority over us, and perhaps the likes of a West Ham or Southampton catch us.

We signed up for 6 years with Klopp, you have to let the man do his job. I get where your coming from and agree, but at this stage I'm just letting it go and see how we get on.

Also, while our position was poor we finished 6 points off 4th, considering how many points we threw away (as did other clubs I know) I wouldn't consider it as nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

hefferboi wrote: »
    Wijnaldum will surprise a lot next season if we get him. Very good signing for 20 million. We should have went for him when he was in holland.

Scored 11 goals for a crap Newcastle team. I'm pretty sure he'll score goals from midfield for Liverpool alright. Just wonder where he fits in overall. I think everyone felt we needed a deep lying central midfielder who can pass the ball ahead of another attacking midfielder. Think it's clear though that Klopp felt that the midfield wasn't scoring enough goals and will try to rectify that with Mane and Wijnaldum.

Think people would be a lot happier though if we just went out and brought a proper LB and not some kid from Leicester who may be good in a few years but we need help there straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Be happy with Wijnaldum, any time I've seen him I've really thought there's something about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Feeling totally underwhelmed here. I know Klopp is a great coach and motivator, but I really am struggling to see how he is going to be able to transform a batch of average players into a team that can compete in the top 4. In a year where Chelsea and United both imploded, we still finished nowhere, so with renewed focus from those teams (not to mention a pile of extra cash), how do we compete this year? If anything, I have more fear that Spurs consolidate their superiority over us, and perhaps the likes of a West Ham or Southampton catch us.

Why are you expecting it all to happen next season?

This is a long term project?

You are forgetting that these average players got to two finals last season and were not that far off top 4.

No reason that we cannot compete next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Money has nothing to do with it; we're just taking an idealistic approach, not a pragmatic one.

Spending more money on transfers after a huge windfall is the obvious thing to do when you've just come 8th. But FSG and Klopp would rather a Zielinski for £10m than a Kante at £30m, on principle. The problem with this approach of course is that every other team realistically competing with us is spending the money on established first-teamers and are drastically improving their first XI. Klopp has his work cut out for him.
    Not to mention the fact that if we somehow manage to unearth a genuinely top class player, then someone will just swoop in and take them off us. We have seen this happen repeatedly for the last 10 years now with every reason to believe it will continue to happen.

Scored 11 goals for a crap Newcastle team. I'm pretty sure he'll score goals from midfield for Liverpool alright. Just wonder where he fits in overall. I think everyone felt we needed a deep lying central midfielder who can pass the ball ahead of another attacking midfielder. Think it's clear though that Klopp felt that the midfield wasn't scoring enough goals and will try to rectify that with Mane and Wijnaldum.

Think people would be a lot happier though if we just went out and brought a proper LB and not some kid from Leicester who may be good in a few years but we need help there straight away.

He scored most of his goals occupying where Coutinho normally plays for us......

Not to mention the fact that if we somehow manage to unearth a genuinely top class player, then someone will just swoop in and take them off us. We have seen this happen repeatedly for the last 10 years now with every reason to believe it will continue to happen.

I think the club has always done well in those deals. We nearly always got a great price on those players. The problem was reinvesting the money, something we seemingly can not do....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I like the signing of these old heads in defence like Klavan. I was a big fan of Toure and the ponytailed greek god, Kyrgiakos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Anyone know how i can get the liverpool fixtures on my phone calendar (Android)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

NukaCola wrote: »
    He scored most of his goals occupying where Coutinho normally plays for us......

Coutinho pretty much always plays LW for us, to be fair. I've actually always far preferred him out wide too, as definitely think he's more effective there than he is behind the striker.

I'd play him as a deeper midfielder before I'd play him AM, tbh.

I imagine Wijnaldum will be played either in that AM role, which Firmino occupies a fair bit at the moment, or in Lallana's spot out right. Think someone like Gbear mentioned yesterday about how all three of the AMs need to be fairly fluid in their movement anyway, so its not massively set in stone.

Also think that the games where teams park the bus and we need to have that player sit a bit deeper and the tempo up and opening the game with their passing, that we'll see Wijnaldum drop into a deeper midfield position and start playing off the movement of some of the other attacking players. He gives us something totally different in that regard to any player we currently have.

When you consider that we have the likes of Coutinho, Can, Henderson, Lallana Firmino, Milner and possibly now Wijnaldum, that's a lot of extremely versatile players who can perform a number of roles for us and allow Klopp to set a team up in a huge number of ways.

tl;dr, not against the Wijnaldum signing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Im coming around to Klopps transfer philosophy despite being initially dissapointed.

I think one of the main things for him is attitude and a great team spirit. Maybe by signing big names and marquee players, you endanger that team spirit and get players with a selfish or egotisitical attitude. You also have wild differences in wages which doesnt help morale.

I think the idea is to have a team of level headed equals who fight for each other and the team and who can absorb Klopps tactics properly and achieve together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Knex. wrote: »
    I imagine Wijnaldum will be played either in that AM role, which Firmino occupies a fair bit at the moment, or in Lallana's spot out right. Think someone like Gbear mentioned yesterday about how all three of the AMs need to be fairly fluid in their movement anyway, so its not massively set in stone.

I'd be very surprised if Mane doesn't start as first choice wide right of the attacking three. Have a strange feeling they are looking at Wijnaldum as a potential partner for Can in the 2.

Newcastle want £27m up front in a lump sum for Wijnaldum.

Deal or no deal?

It's a lot but probably not outrageous in the current market. I like the player but I don't see him as a vital buy like Mane was.

Its not my money but surely there is better options for that sort of fee around Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Im coming around to Klopps transfer philosophy despite being initially dissapointed.

I don't understand why we haven't signed a left back. That and a gk were the priorities due to all the mistakes made by both our starters last season. I assume Karius is a starter so that is one position sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Two things, the notion that a player is average because he is in poor team isn't true and also because he scored 11 goals for Newcastle doesn't mean he will score more or the same in a more creative side.
    Case in point Lallana hasn't matched his goal scoring at Liverpool like he had at Southampton.

It's all about how the player fits into the side and is he functional. If Klopp thinks he can get the best out of Wijnaldum and improve him then I'm not bothered how much he costs.

Marquee signings are great but here's our top 5 biggest transfers.

Carroll
    Benteke
    Mane
    Firmino
    Lallana

Mane aside Firmino the only hit there. Top two were duds.

It's about getting the right players not the most expensive.

Klopp has got to be trusted over the next few years to get it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd love a marquee signing just like everyone else..For me there is only one world class marquee player out there that would suit Klopp's style down to the ground and we sold him to Barca.

So unless we can resign him there is no point at buying the lite version of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Marquee signings are great but here's our top 5 biggest transfers.

Carroll
    Benteke
    Mane
    Firmino
    Lallana

Mane aside Firmino the only hit there. Top two were duds.

It's about getting the right players not the most expensive.

Klopp has got to be trusted over the next few years to get it right.

If you take inflation into account Suarez and Torres would both be up there.

Expensive signings haven't been any more or less likely to fail IMO. They just stand out more. Bigger losses when they go wrong, bigger successes when they go right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Fieldog wrote: »
    http://www.espnfc.com/club/liverpool/364/blog/post/2914446/six-things-to-know-about-liverpool-target-ragnar-klavan

Came across this little article from your search for those not that familiar with him....

Complete Defender and also plays left back sounds good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Milkers wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if Mane doesn't start as first choice wide right of the attacking three. Have a strange feeling they are looking at Wijnaldum as a potential partner for Can in the 2.

Genuinely forgot about Mane for a moment there. I do think against the teams that sit back, Wijnaldum as a CM might not be a bad idea.
    rob316 wrote: »
    Newcastle want £27m up front in a lump sum for Wijnaldum.

Deal or no deal?

It's a lot but probably not outrageous in the current market. I like the player but I don't see him as a vital buy like Mane was.

Its not my money but surely there is better options for that sort of fee around Europe.

If Klopp wants him at 20m, I don't see any reason for the club to not fork out an extra 5-7m if needs be, to be honest.

Coutinho pretty much always plays LW for us, to be fair. I've actually always far preferred him out wide too, as definitely think he's more effective there than he is behind the striker.

And Wijdanum scored most of his goals at LW for Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Gbear wrote: »
    If you take inflation into account Suarez and Torres would both be up there.

If we're adjusting for inflation you can stick in the likes of Rush from Juve, Dalglish, Toshack, Collymore, Beardsley and Djibril Cisse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Klavan at 4m & captain of Estonia plus most likely an upgrade on Skrtel looks a good signing. Was excellent against us in the EL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Vicxas wrote: »
    Great article from Matt Stead on Klopp and "Marquee" players:

http://www.football365.com/news/does-jurgen-klopp-need-a-marquee-signing
    8-10 wrote: »
    If we're adjusting for inflation you can stick in the likes of Rush from Juve, Dalglish, Toshack, Collymore, Beardsley and Djibril Cisse!

Inflation adjusted (at the rate of transfer inflation not currency inflation that is!!), our most expensive are: (as of last summer)

Andy Carroll
    Djibril Cisse
    Emile Heskey
    Fernando Torres
    Stan Collymore
    Alberto Aquilani
    Stewart Downing
    Luis Suarez
    Christian Benteke
    Xabi Alonso
    Glen Johnson
    Dietmar Hamann

Full article (including player pricing if you want to depress yourself!) here: https://tomkinstimes.com/2015/07/the-100-most-expensive-pl-players-after-inflation/

Galatasaray are interested in Lucas but won't pay more than €2m for him. Liverpool want €3m.

In the crazy world of inflated transfer fees that's lowball pricing by both clubs I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Galatasaray are interested in Lucas but won't pay more than €2m for him. Liverpool want €3m.

In the crazy world of inflated transfer fees that's lowball pricing by both clubs I think.

3M seems quite low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Send him to Newcastle to make weight the Wijnaldum (sp!) deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I reckon a crowdfunding project from the locals would raise more than that just to keep the Boss in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

you would want to be insane to move to turkey now imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

you would want to be insane to move to turkey now imo

Martin Skrtl likes this.

So the only player to make more blocks than Ragnar in the Bundesliga last season was Matip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

So the only player to make more blocks than Ragnar in the Bundesliga last season was Matip.

Hard to see then why either player was Lego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Quite underwhelmed by our transfer business. Klopp gives me reason to be hopeful but if it was anyone else at the helm I'd be extremely disappointed. I just can't see us being able to compete with the teams above us based on who we have signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'd play him as a deeper midfielder before I'd play him AM, tbh.

Also think that the games where teams park the bus and we need to have that player sit a bit deeper and the tempo up and opening the game with their passing, that we'll see Wijnaldum drop into a deeper midfield position and start playing off the movement of some of the other attacking players. He gives us something totally different in that regard to any player we currently have.

When you consider that we have the likes of Coutinho, Can, Henderson, Lallana Firmino, Milner and possibly now Wijnaldum, that's a lot of extremely versatile players who can perform a number of roles for us and allow Klopp to set a team up in a huge number of ways.

tl;dr, not against the Wijnaldum signing at all.
    +1, good analysis.

Where did you read it first?:pac:

His ability to play in numerous positions would allow us great tactical freedom to announce a team and the opposition would still have little confidence about where different players will play.

Also allows us a great bit of freedom on the bench to bring in a player and move Wijnaldum or whomever into a problem position and change the dynamic of the game.

Also, if he is half as successful as our last midfielder from Newcastle, he will be a great success. I have nothing but happy memories of Didi Hamann:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Another ITK bites the dust?

https://agameoflfctwitter.wordpress.com/2016/07/18/daveockop-the-littlefinger-of-lfc-twitter/

I thought the Dejan Lovren to Chelsea for £28m was good though:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Another ITK bites the dust?

https://agameoflfctwitter.wordpress.com/2016/07/18/daveockop-the-littlefinger-of-lfc-twitter/

I thought the Dejan Lovren to Chelsea for £28m was good though:D

Ah that was an enjoyable read. I'd hate to be scraping by like that, basically being a professional bull****ter.

If he had any dignity he'd get on the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

ITK's should stick to the relative safety of selling dodgy boxes.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    Quite underwhelmed by our transfer business. Klopp gives me reason to be hopeful but if it was anyone else at the helm I'd be extremely disappointed. I just can't see us being able to compete with the teams above us based on who we have signed.

Keeper potentially upgraded, Mane should offer goals and speed from AM, Matip & Klavan should tighten up our defence and are perhaps options at CM too. Grujic could be very decent if not better.

Wijnaldum would have to be considered an exciting enough transfer to be fair, bit of wizardry and decent finisher.

Signings aside there are other positives;
    - Clyne, Origi & Firmino have their debut LFC seasons under their belt and so we should see all three continuing to impress.
    - Can is looking to be the real deal.
    - Looks likely that Coutinho is staying put.
    - Ings is effectively a new signing :)
    - Bench should have very decent options, Milner, Lallana, Matip, Klavan, Grujic, Ings, Origi, Flannagan.
    - there's always the chance Sturridge could play 30+ Pl games and shoot us to Top4 or better :)

It seems that Klopp is shaping us up to be a very credible attacking force, our 3 out and out strikers and Firmino should ensure we aren't toothless at any period next season.

We have a choice from Coutinho, Mane, Firmino, Milner & Lallana to support the striker(s) & maybe Wijnaldum too.

Can, Henderson, Grujic maybe Matip or Klavan at CM.

Sakho & the 2 new CBs are ball playing types.

To be fair on paper we should see us score more & concede less over the course of the league, scoring more due to a very decent amount of options and resources to change things up as required.

I can perhaps see how folks might reckon our transfers are a tad underwhelming but I never thought we'd see wholesale changes as the bones of a decent squad was there :)

(I haven't mentioned LB, very contentious issue :) )

Telegraph reporting Newcastle want Lucas, does Lucas want Newcastle? Hope so, I'm sure he'd be willing to work under RB in the Championship for a year.

Newcastle could take a few of the younger players on loan as well if they want.

Ben Chilwell playing for Leicester this evening - saw some highlights. He looked very composed and assured.

I'd reckon as per the reports he isn't overly enamoured with the thoughts of Championship football for a year. Also location wise Newcastle probably wouldn't suit a chap well settled in Liverpool with wife & kids etc.

RB might be able to convince him though but I wouldn't hold it against Lucas at all if he refused to go. Huge club though, great fans..... bit of magic etc etc.

With the rumoured fee being £2/3 million I would think Burnley might be interested :) Close to home for him too, PL football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Wijnaldum a player who gets ball then quickly plays a pass and puts the player receiving it into trouble, or plays a pass that goes into an telling area but it's quickly mopped up by opposing team. Of course the clips of him cut before we see this. We just see the quick pass.

• Advertisement

Wijnaldum ..........

I'm sure Klopp & Co have had a thorough think about the potential signing and they've seen the full clips :)
    I'm a big fan of goals per games as a stat, Wijnaldum passes with flying colours, there are risks with every transfer of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd reckon as per the reports he isn't overly enamoured with the thoughts of Championship football for a year. Also location wise Newcastle probably wouldn't suit a chap well settled in Liverpool with wife & kids etc.

RB might be able to convince him though but I wouldn't hold it against Lucas at all if he refused to go. Huge club though, great fans..... bit of magic etc etc.

With the rumoured fee being £2/3 million I would think Burnley might be interested :) Close to home for him too, PL football.

He can share Mike Ashley's helicopter with Rafa for regular trips back to Liverpool ;)

To be honest, I don't want to lose Lucas unless we're bringing in a dedicated defensive midfielder. We have tonnes of general midfielders, but so few specialists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wijnaldum a player who gets ball then quickly plays a pass and puts the player receiving it into trouble, or plays a pass that goes into an telling area but it's quickly mopped up by opposing team. Of course the clips of him cut before we see this. We just see the quick pass.
    Top quality analysis right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He can share Mike Ashley's helicopter with Rafa for regular trips back to Liverpool ;)

To be honest, I don't want to lose Lucas unless we're bringing in a dedicated defensive midfielder. We have tonnes of general midfielders, but so few specialists.

See a lot of people wanting us to sign a DM but I'm not sure Klopp has use for one tbh, he seems to prefer two Cms who cover a lot of ground rather than one who sits and makes tackles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

See a lot of people wanting us to sign a DM but I'm not sure Klopp has use for one tbh, he seems to prefer two Cms who cover a lot of ground rather than one who sits and makes tackles.

I guess instead of talking about it in terms of specialty positions, what I think we desperately need in our squad is a midfielder with particularly quick speed of thought, efficiency of movement, who's strong in the tackle, and quick to spot an opportunity to intercept.

As it stands, only Lucas and Allen really have some of those attributes, and both could well be off.

It's all well and good having lads that are big and strong and run around a lot, but a guy who knows what he's doing on the defensive side gets a lot more done with a lot less effort, leaving more energy in the team for going forward.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement