Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I guess instead of talking about it in terms of specialty positions, what I think we desperately need in our squad is a midfielder with particularly quick speed of thought, efficiency of movement, who's strong in the tackle, and quick to spot an opportunity to intercept.

As it stands, only Lucas and Allen really have some of those attributes, and both could well be off.

It's all well and good having lads that are big and strong and run around a lot, but a guy who knows what he's doing on the defensive side gets a lot more done with a lot less effort, leaving more energy in the team for going forward.

Some midfielder will have to go ,too many players for too few positions and games will only lead to discontented players, is coutiniho or Allen sold,i presume there is a plan ,a couple of players that klopp does not see a place for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I worry when a highlight reel is nothing more than pointless passes that end up putting players receiving them in trouble. If these are his highlights then he must be lacking a brain.
    You would think the purpose of creating highlights of a player would be for that video to contain something of quality. I can't find anything of quality with this guy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I worry when a highlight reel is nothing more than pointless passes that end up putting players receiving them in trouble. If these are his highlights then he must be lacking a brain.
    You would think the purpose of creating highlights of a player would be for that video to contain something of quality. I can't find anything of quality with this guy .

Are you talking about that video against Sunderland that got put up, where he's playing in the midfield 2? I don't think that was a highlights package, i think it was just his every touch and involvement in the game, whether good or bad.

Here's another them against West Ham;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

The music generally found on highlights reels worries me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Watching highlights, Wijnaldum actually reminds me of a young Stevie - very happy to have the ball with opposition near by, able to protect it and lay off, always looking to burst forward. I would say confidence would be a big thing to him.

He's everything Hendo's not, and I like Hendo - explosive, expressive, plays with swagger, and can clearly finish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

This may be the quickest turnaround for any reported target in history.
    Wijnaldum has gone from a "Really? 20m for a Newcastle player?" to a young Stevie in about 2 days.
    Bloody hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Grujic is the new Gerrard.

Some clickbait site linking Origi to Atletico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dickerty wrote: »
    Watching highlights, Wijnaldum actually reminds me of a young Stevie - very happy to have the ball with opposition near by, able to protect it and lay off, always looking to burst forward. I would say confidence would be a big thing to him.

He's everything Hendo's not, and I like Hendo - explosive, expressive, plays with swagger, and can clearly finish!

Did you see many of the games where Wijnaldum apparantly didn't show in the majority of Newcastle's season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

So he's like the older Gerrard who didn't show in the majority of our games each season?

murpho999 wrote: »

Did you see many of the games were Wijnaldum apparantly didn't show in the majority of Newcastle's season?
    You mean where he was started 36 of 38 games, 11 goals and 5 assists? Yeh, sounds like he was hiding.
    The only negativity I've read is about him going missing away from home, but did you see Newcastle under McClaren? They barely had the ball, and he was largely played as a Left Winger. It's hard to impress as a winger when you don't have the ball...

• Advertisement

This may be the quickest turnaround for any reported target in history.
    Wijnaldum has gone from a "Really? 20m for a Newcastle player?" to a young Stevie in about 2 days.
    Bloody hell.
    That idea that a relegated player can't be worth a good fee is nonsense anyway. He was signed for 15M, he had a productive season, and prices have risen substantially his summer.

You mean where he was started 36 of 38 games, 11 goals and 5 assists? Yeh, sounds like he was hiding.
    The only negativity I've read is about him going missing away from home, but did you see Newcastle under McClaren? They barely had the ball, and he was largely played as a Left Winger. It's hard to impress as a winger when you don't have the ball...

Remember, he got 4 goals in one game. He has not scored one away goal.

You can't just judge a player on stats. Who signs a player for assists?

I have a been reading a few NUFC blogs about him and also saw "The True Geordie" rant about him on You Tube and they really found him awful last season and a player who did not put much effort in the majority of games. Do we want a player like that?

Did you see many of the games where Wijnaldum apparantly didn't show in the majority of Newcastle's season?

Fecking hell, hard to see him if he didn't show, eh?

Didn't we sign Stewy D due to his assist stats?

mosstin wrote: »
    Fecking hell, hard to see him if he didn't show, eh?

Well I'm hoping he's a good player that was lost in a bad team. Time will tell.

Turtyturd wrote: »

Yep. And it was an unqualified success so we're going to keep on with the same system for identifying targets.

Wait...

f*ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Boy Georginio will be a great signing for us, just wait and see!

Tho pretty sure I said that about Benteke last year :o And I still stand by that statement..... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ben Chilwell playing for Leicester this evening - saw some highlights. He looked very composed and assured.

Ya saw that, bit of a younger Leighton Baines about him I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I have a been reading a few NUFC blogs about him and also saw "The True Geordie" rant about him on You Tube and they really found him awful last season and a player who did not put much effort in the majority of games. Do we want a player like that?

I wouldn't take the words of any Newcastle fan in anyways seriously considering the grilling they seem to give most players who dares play for them.

• Advertisement

Who signs a player for assists? Em, everyone? Why would you ignore goals and assists as a proof of efficiency?
    I read a few as well, and they were certain games where he was torn apart, but not much less than 3/4 of the team. As a team, they were awful last season, Rafa almost saved them, and he was one of those who improved when Rafa came in.

So do you judge him on 2/3 of a season in a crap side when he STILL scored and made goals, or on 250+ games and 75 goals for Feyenoord and PSV before that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Turtyturd wrote: »

No stats were irrelevant, it was purely on this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

We are writing players off now based on blogs and highlights reels. Get a grip ffs.

Apparently the Subotic move to Boro has collapsed on medical grounds. Was linked with us on a number of occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

NukaCola wrote: »
    We are writing players off now based on blogs and highlights reels. Get a grip ffs.

Not sure about that tbh.

If a signing seems underpar compared to what we require then it should be pointed out.

noodler wrote: »
    Not sure about that tbh.

If a signing seems underpar compared to what we require then it should be pointed out.

Preferably with a clearly laid out PowerPoint presentation.

• Advertisement

Not sure about that tbh.

Yes, but based on blogs and highlight reels? Absolutely not. I would bet people giving out about him haven't seen him play more than 8 games in his entire career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Not sure about that tbh.

IMHO, a player needs to be a truly compelling, slam-dunk of a signing if we're buying him out of an abject mess of a relegated team.

I'd also like a little more change out of £30mil, while we're at it.

Trust Klopp etc & so forth, but I won't be running around with my underpants on my head with excitement over this deal, if it goes ahead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Klopp obviously sees a place in the team for this crap newcastle midfielder so rather than bash the guy can we not just wait and judge him when he puts the shirt on for us?

Who signs a player for assists? Em, everyone? Why would you ignore goals and assists as a proof of efficiency?
    I read a few as well, and they were certain games where he was torn apart, but not much less than 3/4 of the team. As a team, they were awful last season, Rafa almost saved them, and he was one of those who improved when Rafa came in.

So do you judge him on 2/3 of a season in a crap side when he STILL scored and made goals, or on 250+ games and 75 goals for Feyenoord and PSV before that?

From what I have seen him (which I'll be honest is limited) he looks a good player and I hope he's successful for us.

I am hoping that the complaints from NUFC fans is down to the poor morale in the squad and having Steve McClaren at the helm.

As for signing players based on assists, I thnk it's a poor policy and overall performances must be taken into account.

Yep. And it was an unqualified success so we're going to keep on with the same system for identifying targets.

Wait...

f*ck.

But that wasn't the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Northern Echo says £25m deal expected to be completed before the end of the week.

Makes sense now why Klopp didn't bother with Subotic when we needed experienced cover although a move was mooted back in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

A £20m deal for Wijnaldum will mean #LFC have spent £230m on players from Newcastle, Southampton, Sunderland and Aston Villa since 2011.

What a sobering thought!

Yes, but based on blogs and highlight reels? Absolutely not. I would bet people giving out about him haven't seen him play more than 8 games in his entire career.

Fair but we shouldn't be assuming he is up to the standard just because we don't know - benefit of the doubt etc.

The burden of proof should be on people to prove he is good in the first instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Whenever I saw Wijnaldum for Newcastle last season he was very impressive. Quick,strong,can dribble & is an excellent finisher. I think even at 25m its an excellent signing & adds pace to the CM role I expect him to play. I see him at his best as a box to box CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I hope that Origi thing is bollox, I really do.

I'd quicker get rid of Sturridge, I think Origi can really blossom, he's still only a kid, whereas one bang and Studge will be out for 2 months...

Regardless of who we are buying, I trust Klopp to get the best out of who he does buy...

Only got to watch this yesterday if no one has seen it before:

Fair but we shouldn't be assuming he is up to the standard just because we don't know - benefit of the doubt etc.

The burden of proof should be on people to prove he is good in the first instance.

Klopp is willing to bring him in. I'd take his opinion over anything you could read in blogs. I'd be happy with the signing based on what I've seen also. I have no problem with people being not impressed, but the level of negativity based on flimsy data seems ridiculous to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Very good interview with Agger. https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jul/20/daniel-agger-liverpool-story-athletes-pills?CMP=share_btn_tw

A great servant for the club & by the sounds of it done well to play for as lomg as he did.
    Roy Hodgson

“I completely lost my desire to come to work because his training sessions were really hard to get through. Not physically but mentally. It was the same and the same and the same. Day in and day out.

“Often we had eight forwards playing against me and Martin Skrtel [apparently to let Fernando Torres score to regain his confidence]. Skrtel and I had a really hard training session as we were defending against eight with two but the eight players attacking were just faffing around. They had hardly run a kilometre and it was so uninspiring.”

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

laois gael wrote: »
    A £20m deal for Wijnaldum will mean #LFC have spent £230m on players from Newcastle, Southampton, Sunderland and Aston Villa since 2011.

What a sobering thought!

Imagine if Boards.ie was around in the 60s and 70s when we were signing players from Scunthorpe!

'Why are we buying this Keegan guy? Scunthorpe already took us to the cleaners on the Clemence deal?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Benimar wrote: »
    Imagine if Boards.ie was around in the 60s and 70s when we were signing players from Scunthorpe!

'Why are we buying this Keegan guy? Scunthorpe already took us to the cleaners on the Clemence deal?'

Back then, there would be a track record of more than the odd one working out to balance the cynicism that you're seeing today.

Benimar wrote: »

Replacing Keegan with Dalglish with big money would have been a huge issue too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

MD1990 wrote: »
    Whenever I saw Wijnaldum for Newcastle last season he was very impressive. Quick,strong,can dribble & is an excellent finisher. I think even at 25m its an excellent signing & adds pace to the CM role I expect him to play. I see him at his best as a box to box CM.

If he plays the role to the standard of Dembele at Spurs, I'll take him at that price every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Klavan is officially a Liverpool player now. Lean is imminent.

He's getting Sakho's old number.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Very good interview with Agger. https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jul/20/daniel-agger-liverpool-story-athletes-pills?CMP=share_btn_tw

A great servant for the club & by the sounds of it done well to play for as lomg as he did.

lol

The excerpts in that piece are great.

The Benitez section is as you'd expect - tactically brilliant.

But the section on Rodgers is telling. Relationship completely broke down and BR unwilling to take any grief for tactical mistakes, etc.

And, the documenting of Agger's injuries is pretty striking. Always loved him as a player and it seems he really put his health on the line to keep playing.

Aaaand, finally, Klavan is in. He joins a list of bizarre 4th choice CBs that includes Kolo and Kyrgiakos. If he is anyway close to the former, we'll bloody love him.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Klavan is officially a Liverpool player now. Lean is imminent.

He's getting Sakho's old number.

I know feck all about him as well bar the few reports and blogs over the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

That Agger interview is brilliant.

I wonder how many other players at how many other clubs put themselves through similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'm happy with Wijnaldum if it means he's coming into the first team to replace Henderson.

Seems like my Doppler Danny has not only the exact same good looks as me, he also seems to have the same horrific disc slips and addiction to anti inflammatories also... :(

We have more in common than originally thought... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

thumb_23697_default_news_size_5.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Slattsy wrote: »
    I'm happy with Wijnaldum if it means he's coming into the first team to replace Henderson.

Amazed at the amount of Liverpool fans down on Henderson or even want him sold. Didn't have a great last season but pretty much battled through injury for most of it. Think he can rediscover his form.

• Advertisement

Amazed at the amount of Liverpool fans down on Henderson or even want him sold. Didn't have a great last season but pretty much battled through injury for most of it. Think he can rediscover his form.

He never should have been made Captain of the team IMO, no he didn't have a good season, nor did he have a good Euro's from what I saw of him, maybe give him one more year as a vice captain or something and if he's not back up to speed we should look to move him on...

I saw on the Klopp documentary I posted a few pages back that after his first season managing Mainz he changed the Captain, I wonder is he thinking similar....

I don't know who could be Captain though?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement