Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Fieldog wrote: »
    Only got to watch this yesterday if no one has seen it before:

That was excellent, nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Henderson will need to have a good, maybe very good season which might sound like stating the bleedin' obvious but Klopp won't keep him just because he the current captain or one of the longer standing members of the first team squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

‘Whatever.’

I was substituted 12 minutes later.”

Looks like a spoiled 12 year old managed the club.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jul/20/daniel-agger-liverpool-story-athletes-pills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

He never should have been made Captain of the team IMO, no he didn't have a good season, nor did he have a good Euro's from what I saw of him, maybe give him one more year as a vice captain or something and if he's not back up to speed we should look to move him on...

I saw on the Klopp documentary I posted a few pages back that after his first season managing Mainz he changed the Captain, I wonder is he thinking similar....

I don't know who could be Captain though?

Lovren for a year or 2 then Can

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

That Agger interview is brilliant.

I wonder how many other players at how many other clubs put themselves through similar?

It is good to see an honest assessment of things from an intelligent guy and the attitude is part of the reason he was much loved at the club and why there was always moaning that he was injured too often, people wanted to see him play

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of players overdo it on medication, there has to be a lot of pressure to not lose your place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

8-10 wrote: »
    Lovren for a year or 2 then Can

Sakho is captain material, but Can is the future of LFC.

Coutinho needs to be captain if only to help keep his thoughts at Liverpool until the inevitable transfer to Spain/PSG

Sakho is captain material, but Can is the future of LFC.

Yeah Sakho did it at PSG before. I just feel he won't be automatic first choice this year

Yeah the ending where he talks about Rodgers' half-time talk against Swansea was interesting. I looked at the article at the time about that game and saw the following quote which indicates that Agger was definitely being blamed directly and this was the beginning of the end...
    "We didn't defend anywhere near well enough but once again the offensive side of our game was very good," the Liverpool manager said. "Up until now we have got away with it [poor defending]. It is not about coaching, the way we concede goals. The way we concede isn't structural, it is down to mistakes and decision-making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Only got to watch this yesterday if no one has seen it before:

That was great. Well worth the watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We all know Rodgers couldn't organize a defence to save his life, but moving on Agger was the right decision. His body couldn't handle premier league football anymore and shortly after couldn't handle any football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

emmetkenny wrote: »
    That was great. Well worth the watch.

I was taking full advantage of my Month of LFC TV Go sub so I can watch all the pre season games and saw it on there in the on demand.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He never should have been made Captain of the team IMO, no he didn't have a good season, nor did he have a good Euro's from what I saw of him, maybe give him one more year as a vice captain or something and if he's not back up to speed we should look to move him on...

I saw on the Klopp documentary I posted a few pages back that after his first season managing Mainz he changed the Captain, I wonder is he thinking similar....

I don't know who could be Captain though?

I'd give it to Can, let him grow into it.
    Lovren would be another shout, but given he's had one awful and one relatively decent season so far he might do better with less responsibility and just concentrate on his own game and the defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

That Agger article is good. I'm fascinated by what went on behind the scenes with Rodgers. I used to always watch Rodgers pressers in the latter half of the 2013/14 season to see if I could gain any extra insight into how this genius operated. He seemed so normal dealing with the press, what's his secret?

The Being Liverpool doc came out in 2012 but I only watched it maybe in late 2014 and I got a bit of a knot in my stomach when I saw how he came across in that.

So articles like that one are good.

Are there any good books with more info like that? I believe Stevie G's one has info. Any others? Or other in depth articles like that?

Maybe on Kindle so I can buy with one click and then never get round reading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Bogdan to wigan on loan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

hard to get excited over todays addition if i'm honest.

He did well against us, sign him up!

Most people don't throw their hats in the air when the 4th choice centre back is signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

What happened with Agger is a lesson that we should not be so hard on Sturridge who has been suggested to only want to play when near fully fit. We don't really know what goes on behind the scenes.
    Also playing with an Injury is probably a major part why Henderson was below par last season too & if he can regain his full fitness I think he can be an excellent player for us next season. Suited to Klopp's style too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

MD1990 wrote: »
    What happened with Agger is a lesson that we should not be so hard on Sturridge who has been suggested to only want to play when near fully fit. We don't really know what goes on behind the scenes.
    Also playing with an Injury is probably a major part why Henderson was below par last season too & if he can regain his full fitness I think he can be an excellent player for us next season. Suited to Klopp's style too.

I think thats why Klopp was dead right to ease him back into the game, despite Sturridge's protestations.

• Advertisement

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/228257-picture-special-ragnar-klavan-s-first-day-at-melwood

Ragnar's first day photos, the normal photographer must be on his holidays, not one leaning one in the gallery... :(

Re : Captain - Can would be a good shout alright, I think he can go onto huge things, but he may be a quiet chap in the dressing room, who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Vicxas wrote: »
    I think thats why Klopp was dead right to ease him back into the game, despite Sturridge's protestations.
    Klopp's management of Sturridge has been superb. They are certain games he will be used as a sub. Arsenal in the 1st game I expect Sturridge to start from the bench because of a short pre-season but start mostly our home games.

Very good interview with Agger. https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jul/20/daniel-agger-liverpool-story-athletes-pills?CMP=share_btn_tw

A great servant for the club & by the sounds of it done well to play for as lomg as he did.

He has always been one of my favourite players. How his career ended at Liverpool was tragic. He had great heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/228257-picture-special-ragnar-klavan-s-first-day-at-melwood

Ragnar's first day photos, the normal photographer must be on his holidays, not one leaning one in the gallery... :(

Has he really signed then?

That Agger interview is brilliant.

I wonder how many other players at how many other clubs put themselves through similar?

Looks to me as if Henderson has been broken for some time. Poor bastard. He's a very good player when fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

On the Hendo/captaincy thing...

I reckon we wouldn't be having a debate about him starting if he hadn't been made captain. He's good, has ability and has heart, but his injuries, etc mean he shouldn't be an automatic starter for the time being I think. I also think his best form came for us as part of a three man midfield (with Gerrard as a deep lyer and Coutinho slightly further ahead - Sterling was essentially a striker in that team) and he doesn't reproduce that level of form in a duo.

On the captaincy, it is hard to say how it affects a player. Can could wilt under the pressure, Lovren or Sakho could thrive, Coutinho might do absolutely nothing with it. None of the current lot scream 'captain' to me but I think it's hard to say without seeing them train and in the dressing room.

Let's give it to Clyne and see where we go from there.

No way Lovren should be made captain at this point. The start of his career here was unbelievably bad and he was widely ridiculed. Most important is that he can continue good form for another season at least before that could even be considered.

Can has the potential to be a good captain but he's still quite young and inexpetienced and hasnt really nailed his position and role yet.

Sakho would be my choice though it would be difficult to give it to him right now given he's missed so many games recently. Still, probably the best shout if Hendo cant recover from his injuries.

Some were hoping to sign Subotic well he's failed his Boro medical so there's still a chance :D

Liverpool v Huddersfield (away) is 7.45 KO and the club are streaming the game on Youtube in 360 technology

http://memeburn.com/2016/07/liverpool-huddersfield-360-degree-youtube-livestream/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+memeburncom+%28memeburn%29

click this later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Milner would be up the top of the list for the captaincy I would have thought.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Has he really signed then?

Jury's out....

:)

Liverpool v Huddersfield (away) is 7.45 KO and the club are streaming the game on Youtube in 360 technology...

click this later

Brilliant! Thanks.

I mentioned before regarding Roy Keane's comments about Van Nis' in his book. Keane would play strapped up and in pain, Van Nis' would be out injured and wouldn't consider playing.

Keane couldn't get his head around it. Keane was a physical wreck before 35, Van Nis' played into his late 30s and probably isn't hobbling about in pain.

Also, look at Van Persie, several injury plagued seasons with Arsenal, moves to Utd and played most of the PL games, huge factor in them winning the league for us. Fingers crossed Sturridge has a season like that ahead of him.

The Sturridge criticism is misplaced imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Nerdlingr wrote: »

There was a lot of unhappy people on here last season as he was given the vice captaincy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Apparently Tony Barrett has resigned from the Times over their Hillsborough front cover. Or lack of it to be more precise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Apparently Tony Barrett has resigned from the Times over their Hillsborough front cover. Or lack of it to be more precise.

Fair play. Any idea why it took him so long though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Fair play. Any idea why it took him so long though?

Might have been looking for something else in the meantime before making it official. Not sure though.

Maybe there was some sort of disciplinary process under way until now. He could have run foul of some sort of internal rules about not criticising his employer or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Ah jaysus, guess ill have to secretly support liverpool from now on. Estonia will be talking about this one for months. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Sakho for captain IMO. He's a first choice player, it would wind up a fair few people after the drug test thing, and frankly I don't think anyone else at the club comes close to what a captain should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

tinpib wrote: »
    He seemed so normal dealing with the press, what's his secret?

He was from the British Isles and a native English speaker..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Re : Captain - Can would be a good shout alright, I think he can go onto huge things, but he may be a quiet chap in the dressing room, who knows?

Could be a slight lean going on here?

thumb_23681_default_news_size_5.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

jebidiah wrote: »
    Could be a slight lean going on here?

thumb_23681_default_news_size_5.jpeg

Ragnar has a mighty interesting quote on Anfield HQ I think about playing Everton and manU if someone can dig it up

Karius, Randall, Lovren, Moreno, Lucas, Stewart, Ejaria, Grujic, Mané, Coutinho, Firmino.

Only 7 subs, George, Wisdom, Alexander-Arnold, Kent, Woodburn, Markovic, Ings

Lucas as a CB?

That youtube stream is not going to work as they are having technical difficulties with the new-fangled technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Nerdlingr wrote: »

Front runner for the armband imo.

It will give time for the likes of Can to mature. I would prefer someone from Liverpool but as long as the right player is setting a example then fine by me.

Liverpool insist on a minimum appearance clause of 75% in any loan deals, causing a block to be put on Cameron Brannigans loan to Wigan.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-insisting-playing-clause-loan-11641458#rlabs=2%20rt$sitewide%20p$1

Along with buy back and sell on clauses Liverpool are now putting clauses in all loan deals that players must play 75% of fixtures for the loan club..

Great move.
    The Echo understands that the Reds now insist on a “75 per cent” clause for all of their loaned players, whereby clubs are penalised financially if a player they have loaned does not play in a specified ratio of matches.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-insisting-playing-clause-loan-11641458

Saw that, no more Wilson to Crewe type waste of times. No point in sending players off to learn if they are rooted to the bench.

Meanwhile look out, Sissoko rumours are back
    Liverpool FC News

@LivEchoLFC

'The German is an admirer of Sissoko’s playing style' http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-news-transfer-rumours-live-11637737
    2:36 PM - 20 Jul 2016

and
    Pete O'Rourke @SportsPeteO

Liverpool and Juventus ready to battle it out for Newcastle United midfielder Moussa Sissoko. #NUFc #LFC #Juventus http://www.espnfc.co.uk/story/2915017/moussa-sissoko-chased-by-liverpool-and-juventus-sources
    2:34 PM - 20 Jul 2016

Saw that, no one Wilson to Crewe type waste of times. No point in sending players off to learn if they are rooted to the bench.

Meanwhile look out, Sissoko rumours are back

and
    Style isn't a word I'd use in describing Sissoko playing:D

Meanwhile, over in Rumourland, Kovacic may be available for loan from Real to either AC Milan or Liverpool.

http://www.calciomercato.com/news/kovacic-il-real-madrid-apre-al-prestito-e-sfida-milan-liverpool-722825

I actually had forgotten about Kovacic in the annual rumour news, good to see he is still alive anyway:)

Not looking good for Henderson I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

YouTube stream is cancelled too,
    was it going to be like you were in the stand

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement