Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sturidge needs a safety dance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

My biggest concern about Sturridge is that I haven't seen him sprint in about two years. Genuinely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

gafferino wrote: »
    Im not saying there isnt goals in the team but someone said we have 'one of if not the best attacking options in the league'. Far from it imho.

On paper I think we do, I'd have man city ahead of us but I'm struggling to find anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I don't really expect Sturridge to press like Suarez did. But when he can't stretch defenses because of a lack of pace it becomes a problem for the team especially Coutinho. His finishing & skill when he has the ball is top class though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Knex. wrote: »
    My biggest concern about Sturridge is that I haven't seen him sprint in about two years. Genuinely.

He's afraid of more injury! He needs just man up. Surely with all the treatment and rehab he'd have gotten past that point of fragility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Knex. wrote: »

He's great over that first 3 yards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

MD1990 wrote: »
    I don't really expect Sturridge to press like Suarez did. But when he can't stretch defenses because of a lack of pace it becomes a problem for the team especially Coutinho. His finishing & skill when he has the ball is top class though.

I expect that we'll have Mane and Wijnaldum to stretch defenses and for Sturridge to sit in the pocket and poach.

In other news, i really need to learn how to spell Wijnaldum without having to google it each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

gafferino wrote: »
    Im not saying there isnt goals in the team but someone said we have 'one of if not the best attacking options in the league'. Far from it imho.

Fair enough!

If we picked our best front 4 (I presume most of the top sides will have a 4-2-3-1) then there isn't much to choose. We also have strength in depth with Lallana, Milner, Wijnaldum, Ings and Origi so while we would experience a drop in quality, we're not exactly talking Torres to Ngog again.

If we go with Mané-Coutinho-Firmino and Sturridge up top, we wouldn't be world's apart from:

Arsenal: Sanchez-Ozil-Ramsey-Giroud
    Chelsea: Willian-Oscar-Hazard-Costa
    Leicester: Mahrez-Albrighton-Musa-Vardy (probably 4-4-2 here)
    City: De Bruyne-Silva-Nolito-Aguero
    Utd: Mkhitaryan-Rooney-Martial-Ibrahimovic
    Spurs: Lamela-Alli-Eriksson-Kane

You could make an argument for any of them, I really don't think anyone is world's apart.

For all our claims of potential improvements in Firmino, for example, United may enjoy the same (or more) from Martial, Kane might go nuts and hit 30 and not recover from his tired spell until November. Aguero is as likely to be injured as Sturridge (as are any Arsenal player) and Costa/Hazard/Oscar could go either way.

If we go with Mané-Coutinho-Firmino and Sturridge up top, we wouldn't be world's apart from:

Arsenal: Sanchez-Ozil-Ramsey-Giroud
    Chelsea: Willian-Oscar-Hazard-Costa
    Leicester: Mahrez-Albrighton-Musa-Vardy (probably 4-4-2 here)
    City: De Bruyne-Silva-Nolito-Aguero
    Utd: Mkhitaryan-Rooney-Martial-Ibrahimovic
    Spurs: Lamela-Alli-Eriksson-Kane

You could make an argument for any of them, I really don't think anyone is world's apart.

Yeh, I would agree there. Any of Sturridge, Sanchez, Costa, Vardy, Aguero, Ibra or Kane could go on a major run, and all the others are capable of 10+ a (fully-fit) season...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

rob316 wrote: »
    Just a comparison of Sturridge minutes per goal to other previous strikers.

Suarez - 1.62
    Sturridge - 1.74
    Torres - 1.75

Ya he's some myth :rolleyes:

Now if you want to talk about his fitness that is another story, all I know though is, he has been fit for a while now and deserves the support and belief from the supporters as he is a fantastic player and one who's quality we cant ignore.

Breaking it down even further the goal stats are even more impressive.

Goal per minute

Suarez goal every 138 minutes
    Torres goal every 135 minutes
    Sturridge goal every 127 minutes

Sturridge is a proven goalscorer.

As you say its a fitness thing. In 3 and a half years for us Suarez played 41 more games and in 4 seasons Torres played 50 more games than Sturridge.
    In 3 and a half years Sturridge played 92 games. The most he's played in one season was 33 games for us. Its a hell of a lot of games he's missing in comparison.

Klopp seems to be handling him well so lets hope that continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Well i was ;) joking....that said he's been crap for years and yet keeps scoring goals...

Aston Villas hot young left back Jordan Amavi has been linked again in La Parisian http://sportwitness.co.uk/liverpool-keen-aston-villa-star-good-signing/

Mate of mine is a big villa fan.

He says "Brilliant LB, good defender, good and getting forward & great crosser of the ball"

Hopefully there is some truth in it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mate of mine is a big villa fan.

He says "Brilliant LB, good defender, good and getting forward & great crosser of the ball"

Hopefully there is some truth in it :)
    He sounds promising, but that bit worries me. It sounds like the coaching team are going to have to put in a big effort to make sure any ball he puts in doesn't make it past the first man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I'd be delighted with Amavi. He'd be a great addition if his injury troubles are over.

Sturridge ............ in 12 seasons as a pro.

People need to get over the myth of Sturridge.

The chap is 26, you are going back to when he was 14 seemingly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So far Benitez as manager has sold us Coutinho from Milan and Sturridge from Chelsea, so we'll just have to trust his judgement on Wijnaldum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Sturridge has only once in his career since 06/07 scored more than 20 league goals in a season and that was when he played alongside the best player in the league world that season.

The next most league goals total in a season he scored is 11 then it's 10 and that is in 12 seasons as a pro.

People need to get over the myth of Sturridge.
    If!

In 12 seasons a pro he has one outlier of a season 13/14 yet that is the season everyone bases everything on Sturridge not the other 11 seasons.

Your dislike of Sturridge and presentation of "facts" has now reached Republican National Convention levels.

Should Sturridge put in a season like 2013/2014 again from a goals & apps viewpoint I anticipate the Sturridge haters to attribute Klopp with the credit :pac:

He'll get a goal every 2 games without sprinting too chaps :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Augeo wrote: »
    Should Sturridge put in a season like 2013/2014 again from a goals & apps viewpoint I anticipate the Sturridge haters to attribute Klopp with the credit :pac:

He'll get a goal every 2 games without sprinting too chaps :cool:

Should Klopp not get some credit for handling him correctly? He avoided playing him twice a week, did not rush him back etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Milkers wrote: »
    Your dislike of Sturridge and presentation of "facts" has now reached Republican National Convention levels.

Make Sturridge great again and again and again and again oh wait he's injured again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

murpho999 wrote: »
    So far Benitez as manager has sold us Coutinho from Milan and Sturridge from Chelsea, so we'll just have to trust his judgement on Wijnaldum.
    Sturridge and Coutinho were signed in the same transfer window - January 2013.

Benitez was manger of Inter Milan for 6 months in 2010 - He brought Coutinho back from Vasco da Gama where he had been on loan for two seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He's fecking tall

shamal-george.jpg

He's fecking tall

shamal-george.jpg

Well, he is a goalie. Next David James?

Talisman wrote: »
    Sturridge and Coutinho were signed in the same transfer window - January 2013.

Benitez was manger of Inter Milan for 6 months in 2010 - He brought Coutinho back from Vasco da Gama where he had been on loan for two seasons.

Hmmph, those bloody annoying facts getting in the way of a nice story!

Don't know where I got that he sold us Coutinho!

The next most league goals total in a season he scored is 11 then it's 10 and that is in 12 seasons as a pro.
    He only made his full league debut for Man City in 2008.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Should Klopp not get some credit for handling him correctly? He avoided playing him twice a week, did not rush him back etc

Well of course, and he should be able to do that again with Origi starting plenty of games as lone striker with Mane and Firmino either side and Coutinho behind...

murpho999 wrote: »
    Hmmph, those bloody annoying facts getting in the way of a nice story!
    There seems to be an outbreak of that on the forum today.

He only made his full league debut for Man City in 2008.

But he made is his league debut in 06/07 season which make him a pro for 12 seasons.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/756130387634429955
    Georginio Wijnaldum having medical at Liverpool training ground #SSNHQ

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

No that would be 10 seasons. If you are including 16/17 which hasn't started yet that would be 11 seasons.

But he made is his league debut in 06/07 season which make him a pro for 12 seasons.

I think your maths are a tad off......... I'm seeing 9.5 seasons at most

From wiki............A hat-trick in a reserve match was rewarded by a place on the substitutes' bench for the senior side's match with Reading in February 2007

06/07 season
    07/08 season
    08/09 season
    09/10 season
    10/11 season
    11/12 season
    12/13 season
    13/14 season
    14/15 season
    15/16 season

I'm struggling to see 12 seasons there. I'm also a tad surprised to see a season when the chap made his debut in Feb at 17 years old being counted as a season where he failed to score enough to justify the myth.

• Advertisement

huey1975 wrote: »
    No that would be 10 seasons. If you are including 16/17 which hasn't started yet that would be 11 seasons.

You are right it is 11 seasons as a pro as of this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

#scousemaths

#netspend

You are right it is 11 seasons as a pro as of this one.

Yet to start old boy

We'll call it 10 ;)

Georginio Wijnaldum having medical at Liverpool training ground #SSNHQ

He's going to get into that First Class seat to join them in the US feeling like a BOSS...

Flanagan didn't go to the States with the rest of the squad looks like he is on his way out.

Also.

Cn5WWa5UMAI5KDR.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wijnaldum medical tomorrow now apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

"Please provide a fan in the bedroom for Coutinho"

"Fan" ... that code for brazzer?

Flanagan didn't go to the States with the rest of the squad looks like he is on his way out.

Also.

Cn5WWa5UMAI5KDR.jpg

Obvious fake.

Was going well up to the fan for Coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Klopp, Buvac and Krawietz are all smokers, lol.
    Henderson and Lallana the best of friends.

• Advertisement

Where the f*ck did you go to school? 2016 - 2007 = 9

You are being very petty. He made 2 appearances in 06/07 as a 16 year old.

You want to count that as a full season?

Either way form 06/07 to 15/16 (as 16/17 has not started yet) means he has 10 seasons under his belt not 12.

232 games and 91 goals. That's not bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

GBX wrote: »
    He's afraid of more injury! He needs just man up. Surely with all the treatment and rehab he'd have gotten past that point of fragility.

Ahem... http://news.sky.com/story/liverpool-fans-banned-from-saying-man-up-10438706

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Coutinho has tinnitus so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Also.

Cn5WWa5UMAI5KDR.jpg

"All Players room minibars must only have fruit juice and water, no alcohol or snacks whatever"

Who wrote this, Brendan Rodgers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

If!

In 12 seasons a pro he has one outlier of a season 13/14 yet that is the season everyone bases everything on Sturridge not the other 11 seasons.

You keep saying 12 seasons as a pro. WTF?!?! He is only 26! Do you think we was playing as a top pro at the age of 14 or something, and that even if he was that his seasons as a 14 and 15 year old should be counted towards what he might achieve next season. Stop saying "12 years as a pro!".

• Advertisement

Where the f*ck did you go to school? 2016 - 2007 = 9

Sorry I guess I didn't have a good education but at least some manners and I don't curse.

Edit no I'm not sorry it say more about your education than mine that quote really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

This is the most underwhelmed I've been by a transfer window in a long while. The club feels like it's stuck in reverse. Trying to catch teams above us by signing players that wouldn't get near their first teams, while they continue to improve. It can't work, unless you pull off some rare and improbable feat as Leicester did.

It's hard to blame anyone. I certainly don't blame klopp, or even fsg. Its all about money now, and you can't blame fsg for not being able to outspend the ever growing list of clubs around Europe that have become more attractive destinations. If you haven't got it, you can't spend it.

This is the most underwhelmed I've been by a transfer window in a long while. The club feels like it's stuck in reverse. Trying to catch teams above us by signing players that wouldn't get near their first teams, while they continue to improve. It can't work, unless you pull off some rare and improbable feat as Leicester did.

It's hard to blame anyone. I certainly don't blame klopp, or even fsg. Its all about money now, and you can't blame fsg for not being able to outspend the ever growing list of clubs around Europe that have become more attractive destinations. If you haven't got it, you can't spend it.

Why the negativity. Klopp is choosing these players. We're going a different path to Man City, Chelsea and Utd.

Also, why do people think the club and/or FSG is poor. The opposite is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I feel good. And not just because I had a bath, but because I think we'll do good football this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Grayditch wrote: »
    I feel good. And not just because I had a bath, but because I think we'll do good football this season.

I think the Champagne football of 2013/14 will be back, minus the leaky defense ofc....

I hope.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement