Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Everton linked with Sigurdsson for 25m. I'd put Wijnaldum ahead of him anyhow, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Everton are across Stanley Park.....just sayin'

Someone was twittering that Bild had a story about Max Meyer and Liverpool but it doesn't have any legs. I think we're busy enough with attacking midfielders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

5starpool wrote: »
    Everton linked with Sigurdsson for 25m. I'd put Wijnaldum ahead of him anyhow, that's for sure.

****ing hell now it's gone too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Didn't Everton Supposedly bid for Napoli's CB. 50M or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I'm sure that story will break any day now.

You're streets behind, man. Paully D broke it years ago, and I don't know why I remember it but I do.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75459692#post75459692

• Advertisement

You're streets behind, man. Paully D broke it years ago, and I don't know why I remember it but I do.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75459692#post75459692

Nah, he's still waiting for confirmation so it'll come any day now.

Everyone pretty much pieced it together

Such strange memories that stick with us.

I don't know if I convinced myself it happened or if it actually did but I can remember being in a pram (I must have been less two years old) outside a certain newsagents and a local man, who I still know, dropping a one pound coin into the pram. Asked my mammy before and she has a vague recollection of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Where's Je Suis Mario gone? I miss his insanity.

Busy having T.

The squad are in San Francisco today, the timing of this Henderson story is suspiciously fitting.

Also:

https://twitter.com/thisisanfield/status/756262786984873986

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Who gives a **** what way Hendo swings. Most important thing is he heals up and delivers on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Could not give 2 shîts what Jordan Henderson does in his private life - has zero to do with his ability as a football player, hope he is over that bad injury though and can push on, if not I'll be looking to see him sold, like any other player who can't contribute for LFC....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Another target missed/bullet dodged!

Shane Long signs new four-year deal at Southampton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Talisman wrote: »
    Another target missed/bullet dodged!

Shane Long signs new four-year deal at Southampton

Was he ever really a target?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Who gives a **** what way Hendo swings. Most important thing is he heals up and delivers on the field.

Missed a chance to write "heels up". Just sayin'.

I think we should start posting about our breakfasts again. Maybe the smell of toast will bring him back.

Was he ever really a target?
    I very much doubt it - Another case of Liverpool being linked with a player in the media while they are in contract negotiations with their club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Does it explain the running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

How does that prevent you? I use my phone 99.9% of the time i'm on boards.

Because my cave has **** WiFi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Everton are across Stanley Park.....just sayin'

Someone was twittering that Bild had a story about Max Meyer and Liverpool but it doesn't have any legs. I think we're busy enough with attacking midfielders

Meyer will go to Southampton in a year for 15 mill and we'll buy him for 40 mill off them a year later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Maybe Henderson will find his true calling in Hollywood.

As a fluffer ?

That_Guy wrote: »
    Shelvey.

Started off like a house on fire.

Then after the fire took hold, the house was rebuilt a la Ned Flanders' house after it got destroyed by a hurricane in that episode of the Simpsons.

Sure, the exterior looked the same but when you looked deeper, it all just went to crap pretty fast and it just wasn't the same house Shelvey we thought we were getting.
    Shelvey isn't the sharpest tool in the tool box - the slightest thing can knock him out of his stride and cause him to lose his focus but he should be a success in the Championship.

In 2011/12, he was sent on loan from Liverpool to Blackpool who were in the Championship at the time. Ian Holloway decided he was too thick to trust him to do a job in midfield so he played him up front. Shelvey would start the game in midfield and once the game had settled down he was pushed into a forward position. The result was 6 goals in 9 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The squad are in San Francisco today, the timing of this Henderson story is suspiciously fitting.

Also:

https://twitter.com/thisisanfield/status/756262786984873986

Can won't like that. A real challenger for best hair in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Shelvey isn't the sharpest tool in the tool box - the slightest thing can knock him out of his stride and cause him to lose his focus but he should be a success in the Championship.

In 2011/12, he was sent on loan from Liverpool to Blackpool who were in the Championship at the time. Ian Holloway decided he was too thick to trust him to do a job in midfield so he played him up front. Shelvey would start the game in midfield and once the game had settled down he was pushed into a forward position. The result was 6 goals in 9 games.

Remember when he posted a pic of little Jonjo on twitter 😅

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Remember when he posted a pic of little Jonjo on twitter 😅
    He claimed that was one of his friends before he deleted his account.

But if you look at his stats, he goes 5, 6... even 7 games without assisting or scoring. Like I say, his job was to create chances and he managed to do that 5 times.

Like I say, he's not the only contributing factor with our failure last season. He can't control players missing chances but to assist in 5 goals all season is a pathetic looking stat.
    According to Squawka, Wijnaldum created 48 chances for Newcastle last season, which resulted in 5 goals - he created or scored 16 goals.
    CC   A   G
    2015/16   48   5  11

CC = Chances Created
    A = Assists
    G = Goals

Those stats put him in a similar bracket to Liverpool players that play in his position:
    CC   A   G
    Coutinho  49   5   8
    Firmino   48   7  10
    Lallana   49   6   4

Here are the numbers for Mesut Ozil and Riyad Mahrez since they moved to the Premier League. By comparison Wijnaldum contributed more than them in their first Premier League season. Ozil was signed from Real Madrid so you would expect him to be a higher quality player. Mahrez joined a club that struggled against relegation.

Mesut Ozil:
    CC   A  G
    2013/14   76   9  5
    2014/15   70   5  4
    2015/16  144  19  6

Riyad Mahrez:
    CC   A   G
    2014/15   44   3   4
    2015/16   67  11  17

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Wijnaldum - He will give us that bit of forward running from midfield that we are missing. Can had flashes of it last year. Someone doing it more consistently will be a great advantage to us.
    I just don't think that he is aggressive enough, or have the ability to change a game if we are on the back foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Mesut Ozil:
    CC   A  G
    2013/14   76   9  5
    2014/15   70   5  4
    2015/16  144  19  6

[/code]

144 chances created is mind boggling, that's nearly 4 a game...

144 chances created is mind boggling, that's nearly 4 a game...

Imagine if Giroud wasn't an absolute fucking donkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Final say on Wijnaldum. Obviously some of you are going to google his stats etc and they look like high numbers. Well, they are high enough numbers but I can only tell you what I saw.

An inconsistent player with flashes of brilliance but just didn't cut it.

His form took a nosedive off a cliff and just never recovered bar the odd glimpse of him trying to reach the heights he set early on in the season.

Ultimately, yes he was probably our best player if you're going by stats. But the fact that The Chronicle (a well regarded local Newcastle newspaper) had Rob Elliot as player of the season and Lascelles as young player of the season says it all when both players were only brought in due to a string of injuries.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-uniteds-player-season-revealed-11472942

Gigi is not the worst culprit and his stats look good but don't let them fool you. He can be a very good player and I'm sure he'll be better under Klopp with better players around him.

I can only say what I saw and I still think my opinion is fair and more valid than any stats you can find on the internet.

So there. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Moreno created more chances that any other Liverpool player last season there is a stat yet 90% fans (not a stat)I would say want rid of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Final say on Wijnaldum. Obviously some of you are going to google his stats etc and they look like high numbers. Well, they are high enough numbers but I can only tell you what I saw.

An inconsistent player with flashes of brilliance but just didn't cut it.

His form took a nosedive off a cliff and just never recovered bar the odd glimpse of him trying to reach the heights he set early on in the season.

Ultimately, yes he was probably our best player if you're going by stats. But the fact that The Chronicle (a well regarded local Newcastle newspaper) had Rob Elliot as player of the season and Lascelles as young player of the season says it all when both players were only brought in due to a string of injuries.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-uniteds-player-season-revealed-11472942

Gigi is not the worst culprit and his stats look good but don't let them fool you. He can be a very good player and I'm sure he'll be better under Klopp with better players around him.

I can only say what I saw and I still think my opinion is fair and more valid than any stats you can find on the internet.

So there. ;)

Your opinion ties in with a post I made a couple of days ago where I had read other comments from various NUFC bloggers and You Tubers.

It was immediately shot down by people coming back with stats like above.

I do think there are legitimate questions about his attitude; the ability is definitely there.
    I hope this signing works out and his issues were down to playing in a struggling team and being coached and motivated by Steve McClaren and like you point out that playing for a different team and managerial approach will bring out the best of him.

He did appear to play better under Benitez so hopefully all will be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Moreno created more chances that any other Liverpool player last season there is a stat yet 90% fans (not a stat)I would say want rid of him.

So what you're saying is, That Guy is right!! All hail That Guy!!

Or am I deluded as fúck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Alex Manninger expected to sign on a one-year deal today.

Bloody hell.

Title is ours lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So what you're saying is, That Guy is right!! All hail That Guy!!

Or am I deluded as fúck?

You watched him in 38 games I would take that over reading a few stats about him.

Basically what I got from reading your posts is he is a good player who got very lazy If Klopp can get rid of that laziness Liverpool will have a good player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

simonMignoletBlueTop_large.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bloody hell.

Title is ours lads.

A guy who will never kick a ball for us ever. He's probably 4th choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

So Wijnaldum while apparently not caring and being lazy in the majority of games he played, in his first season in England scored 11 goals, 5 assists, created 48 chances, 85% passing average and 71% shooting average while playing all 38 league games, starting 36 and can play LM/CM/AM all in a shambles of a club......

Cant wait to see this guy in form if thats a failure of a season.......cant wait to be told that stats don't matter as it doesn't fit a narrative also....these are not arbitrary figures like duels per game or dribbles per game, those stats are actually important in offensive players.

Bottom line, he's shown enough to be optimistic about him......Price is quite high, I would bet his attitude and laziness is being overplayed a lot, also every single Newcastle players form dropped due to a manager who lost the plot.....some fans equate not playing well to not caring, thats not always the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I really don't get the hate for any ex player unless he brought the club into serious disrepute or didn't try his best in training and when picked to play.

Konchesky may have been a poor quality signing but that's not his fault is it? If there is anger at his signing it should be aimed at the people who approved it (Hodgson and whoever else was involved in transfers at the time) rather than a player being offered an opportunity he may have dreamed about all his life? What professional player when invited to join on a financially rewarding contract is going to say "no, I don't think I'm good enough to join Liverpool"?
    I never blamed his lack of quality for disliking him, we've had our fair share of those down the years.

He is the only ex-player that I can remember dissing the club for his own level of quality, and that's before I even mention his mother:rolleyes:. He rather quickly showed the same or greater level of appreciation for the club as the clown that bought him in in the first place.

I have absolutely not one single positive memory of his time at the club and I even have one or two from Diouf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Bloody hell.

Title is ours lads.

I just cant get my head around this? :confused:
    Mignolet new deal last in January.
    Karius
    Ward - new contract and shipped out on loan.

Makes no sense? Future goal keeper coach perhaps. Cant see him playing too many games.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

GBX wrote: »
    Karius

Makes no sense? Future goal keeper coach perhaps. Cant see him playing too many games.

I reckon you've nailed it. Someone experienced who has been around the block and is probably looking at getting into coaching...or he may already have his coaching credentials and is going to shadow the existing coaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

GBX wrote: »
    Karius

I presume he won't kick a ball for us - maybe a League Cup appearance?

Karius and Mignolet are our only GKs atm aren't they? Bogdan, Ward and Fulton have both left on loan so it's obviously just to be able to name someone on the bench in the case of an injury or suspension!

To be honest, I'd take the opinion of someone who has watched someone play over stats any day. I'm assuming Klopp, Bovac, etc have seen him play as well though so know a bit about him too. If he doesn't meet the effort requirements demanded of him though he'll be out of the team quick enough I'd imagine, and the fans won't let him get away with it too much either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

rob316 wrote: »
    A guy who will never kick a ball for us ever. He's probably 4th choice.

What's the problem, we need to have a squad and backup. Imagine the outcry if we didn't have cover?

I remember a few seasons ago when Reina got injured, and then Doni got a red card so we needed to use Jones as 3rd choice. You never know what can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Manniger is probably as someone said in line for a GK coach role & is probably thought to be a very good character to have in the squad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MD1990 wrote: »
    Manniger is probably as someone said in line for a GK coach role & is probably thought to be a very good character to have in the squad.

And probably still better than migs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

To be fair to Manninger if you've been a journeyman all your career and finally get the chance with a big club at the end of it you wouldn't say no.

Makes sense to send Ward off to play weekly and keep Manninger on the off chance he's needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

To be honest, I'd take the opinion of someone who has watched someone play over stats any day

You'd take an opinion over stats any day?

What if the person does not like the player and is judging him unfairly while not backing it up with any data apart from anecdotal evidence and saying things like he doesn't look like he cares or some other unmeasurable metric.

I'm as guilty as anyone in slamming players in LFC. Milner, I absolutely despised him for the first half of the season.....I was called on it and instead of lambasting every mistake i just looked at his overall performance......turns out he wasn't as useless as I thought. Same with a lot of posters here.......

Btw I'm talking in general and not about our newcastle supporting friend that was kind enough to give his opinion.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement