Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Moreno not squaring it to Ibe was the killer. That moved perfectly summed up Moreno as a footballer - kick the ball ahead of you, run after it really fast, follow it up with hitting the ball as hard as possible while not once using your brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Firmino has been poison this past few weeks

Big European football night at anfield next week :)
    If they score once we need three.... bit of spice, should be a great game as we really have to go at them from the off IIMO

Could try and eek out a 1 nil & ET too but that's hopefully a conceptual non runner for klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Awful kick in the teeth after a very hard fought and controlled European away performance. I expect lots of result orientated criticism. The last few minutes were exactly why we approached things as we did.

Very tough now - we'll need three at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

K-9 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd say Klopp wanted to keep a clean sheet, they had their best spell, probably only spell at the end.

Still, an away goal and it looks a lot better, Bringing on Benteke is a bit pointless, better risking it with Sturridge for 10 minutes even.

Benteke made sense imo. We were restricted to crosses most of the game and needed a target man.

As I said next week will be more of the same, Villareal will defend the same, we'll have plenty of the ball and plenty of crosses, so I'd start Benteke with the clear instruction to stay in the box and make a nuisance of himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Benteke made sense imo. We were restricted to crosses most of the game and needed a target man.

As I said next week will be more of the same, Villareal will defend the same, we'll have plenty of the ball and plenty of crosses, so I'd start Benteke with the clear instruction to stay in the box and make a nuisance of himself.

But can he follow that instruction?

Sturridge starts next week we have a good chance of winning the match & going through. Goals win games, he scores goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Augme wrote: »
    Moreno not squaring it to Ibe was the killer. That moved perfectly summed up Moreno as a footballer - kick the ball ahead of you, run after it really fast, follow it up with hitting the ball as hard as possible while not once using your brain.

That's b0llox, he was after running the length of the pitch while holding off a defender. He has to make a decision one way or another while breaking his neck to stay ahead of his man and hold off his marker, we all wish the outcome was better but that opportunity all came from him and he was decisive.
    My first reaction was 'unlucky Albie, great effort' and after watching it back my opinion hasn't changed.

But can he follow that instruction?

Klopp needs to get Sturridge to have a word with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Why didn't Sturridge play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Good away performance. Plenty of positives, plenty of good play ... silly stupid last minute goal to concede. BUT still plenty to play for. The are not all that, practically played as an away team. Would be a shame if we couldn't score at least 1.

Nothing to fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Is "Albie" now a thing on here???? Bertie much more suitable imho.

Feels like a missed opportunity, although hard to tell if Villareal lulled us into a false sense sense of security or alternatively they aren't actually that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Is "Albie" now a thing on here???? Bertie much more suitable imho.

Feels like a missed opportunity, although hard to tell if Villareal lulled us into a false sense sense of security or alternatively they aren't actually that good.

They won

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

I think this summed up that moment tonight for most of us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

That's b0llox, he was after running the length of the pitch while holding off a defender. He has to make a decision one way or another while breaking his neck to stay ahead of his man and hold off his marker, we all wish the outcome was better but that opportunity all came from him and he was decisive.
    My first reaction was 'unlucky Albie, great effort' and after watching it back my opinion hasn't changed.

Decisive, that's one way to describe he. He had two decisions to make and he made an awful one. He had no choice but to make a decision, I'm not sure why he gets credit for doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Augme wrote: »
    Decisive, that's one way to describe he. He had two decisions to make and he made an awful one. He had no choice but to make a decision, I'm not sure why he gets credit for doing that.

Just because his excecution was poor, in no way does that equate to him making the wrong decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Klopp seemed happy to settle for a draw tonight. You play for a draw and that is what you get. Why the hell were we playing such a high line in injury time? They base their game on balls over the top on the counter attack and the only time we play into their hands they score. We may face more of the same in the second leg, a one nil plays exactly into their hands. Very disappointed that we didn't go for it and bring sturridge on when we were on top, it was clear from the first half we could orchestrate good positions but had no one to take advantage of it. No point bringing benteke on with a minute to go. We should be able to finish the job in the second leg but need the likes of firminho, coutinho and lallana to step up to the plate. They've been very poor recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

After aguero sturridge is the best striker in the league he should have started tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

All set up for another of those European nights at Anfield, as a neutral with a bias towards Liverpool I'm really looking forward to it. Hope you do it gents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Having slept on it, I'm still raging.

Klopp f*cked that up as far as I'm concerned. I agreed with his starting eleven but as the first half progressed, a pattern developed that showed a clear opportunity for a striker to take the initiative. Either Sturridge or Benteke - or both - would have had some joy if they'd had 25 minutes or half an hour on the pitch IMO.

Coutinho and Firmino were dreadful, Moreno yet again out of position for his defensive duties. Ibe made the wrong decision every time he had the ball, a hugely frustrating player.

Milner, Allen and Mignolet were good, was impressed with Toure too.

But Klopp went to play for a 0-0 and we paid the price. We're far from out of it but I think they'll be very difficult to beat on the road - they thrive on the defensive/counter set-up and when we have to drive at them time and time again, they'll have opportunities. It'll be up to our attack (which HAS to contain Sturridge?!) to make the most of ours, and our patchwork midfield and defence (no Hendo, Sakho, Can...) to keep them out. It will be a tough game for sure.

The tactical decisions were baffling - why bother introduce Benteke so late? Why make just one change before that when its not working? Why not start a striker? Why not withdraw Firmino when it became evident how out of form he was? Why not introduce someone like Stewart if you do want to strangle it (is he in the squad? I don't remember).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Ardent

Fromvert wrote: »
    We all know Ibe is rubbish and is not good enough to stay at Liverpool. Klopp chose to bring him on though. Klopp needs to take the blame for that when everyone knows he's not up to it.

This is the mind-melting and frustrating thing about last night's game for me. It is baffling why Klopp would bring Ibe - and not Sturridge - on in a game like this. The lad is not good enough and showed why again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I can only presume Sturridge wasn't fully fit. There's no other reason to bring on Ibe and especially Benteke ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Lads if ye didn't agree with what Klopp did why not try to get your badges and show us how its done? :pac:

But seriously, the game plan was spot on, stop their explosive counter by being defensive from back to front and try to take one of our opportunities when they came along. It was a tactical decision to try and keep them scoreless when they come to Anfield.......I suppose Klopp can be criticised for not bringing Sturridge on with 20 or so minutes to go, but just because he didn't doesn't make it the wrong decision, Klopp obviously didn't want to disrupt his plan and balance of the team by going for a win and then getting caught out. I know we got caught late on but if we played like normal we'd have got caught 1/2 more times at least over the game.

We'll see different tactics at Anfield, far more positive, IMO Klopp made the right decisions mainly for the tie and fixture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

NukaCola wrote: »
    Lads if ye didn't agree with what Klopp did why not try to get your badges and show us how its done? :pac:

But seriously, the game plan was spot on, stop their explosive counter by being defensive from back to front and try to take one of our opportunities when they came along. It was a tactical decision to try and keep them scoreless when they come to Anfield.......I suppose Klopp can be criticised for not bringing Sturridge on with 20 or so minutes to go, but just because he didn't doesn't make it the wrong decision, Klopp obviously didn't want to disrupt his plan and balance of the team by going for a win and then getting caught out. I know we got caught late on but if we played like normal we'd have got caught 1/2 more times at least over the game.

We'll see different tactics at Anfield, far more positive, IMO Klopp made the right decisions mainly for the tie and fixture.

I reckon my Football Manager experience is proof enough that I'm capable of doing the job. ;):p

But, genuinely, we won't be able to overawe them at Anfield. We may well beat them, but Villareal are a good side and a tough one to breach more than anything. They are solid defensively and good on the counter and this is the game we'll be playing at Anfield.

I think Klopp got the set-up right yesterday but as the game progressed, it became clear that a goal was there for the taking. A 0-0 wouldn't have been a bad result, but I think it is a massive missed opportunity. We go into the second leg with a pretty difficult task ahead of us now.

And I can't back his subs up at all. Firmino was basically not in the game at any point - waiting that long to take him off didn't make sense to me. Bringing Benteke on at 90 minutes doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

MD1990 wrote: »
    Ibe was a disgrace tonight. Really annoyed with him & I don't think he will make it at Liverpool.

he has all the tools, speed and strength...

needs someone to pull him a side and tell him to just bomb down the wing, beat the player and cross the ball in....it really is that simple

mav79 wrote: »
    Ibe had another 45 minutes and showed absolutely nothing to say he deserves even a place on the bench. Firmino gave the ball away quiet a lot and looked poor. But damn, Lallana might as well have stayed at home, rushes around the pitch but its absolutely pointless. Once Couthino went off you knew there was no serious goal threat in the team.

totally agree with your points on Ibe and Bobby... tbh, Bobby had a shocker, misplacing passes etc, should have been hooked at HT...some days it's just not your day,,

K-9 wrote: »
    Was a decent match live but yeah, not much highlights. Firmino hitting the post and a few half chances.

Lallana must have been onside from that Milner ball though.

he was a couple of yards on yeah :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Got what we deserved last night, far too negative. Very disappointing when you consider the standard of the opposition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Having slept on it, I'm still raging.

Klopp f*cked that up as far as I'm concerned. I agreed with his starting eleven but as the first half progressed, a pattern developed that showed a clear opportunity for a striker to take the initiative. Either Sturridge or Benteke - or both - would have had some joy if they'd had 25 minutes or half an hour on the pitch IMO.

Coutinho and Firmino were dreadful, Moreno yet again out of position for his defensive duties. Ibe made the wrong decision every time he had the ball, a hugely frustrating player.

Milner, Allen and Mignolet were good, was impressed with Toure too.

But Klopp went to play for a 0-0 and we paid the price. We're far from out of it but I think they'll be very difficult to beat on the road - they thrive on the defensive/counter set-up and when we have to drive at them time and time again, they'll have opportunities. It'll be up to our attack (which HAS to contain Sturridge?!) to make the most of ours, and our patchwork midfield and defence (no Hendo, Sakho, Can...) to keep them out. It will be a tough game for sure.

The tactical decisions were baffling - why bother introduce Benteke so late? Why make just one change before that when its not working? Why not start a striker? Why not withdraw Firmino when it became evident how out of form he was? Why not introduce someone like Stewart if you do want to strangle it (is he in the squad? I don't remember).

He was two minutes away from an away draw.

So take a deep breath, it's only half time and we are still in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

murpho999 wrote: »
    He was two minutes away from an away draw.

So take a deep breath, it's only half time and we are still in this.

A draw ..when a score draw would have knocked us out. We missed an opportunity, plain and simple.

Also , how many times have we battered teams in the first 45 and completely messed it up in the second half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Anyone else wake up and when thinking of the game, have a bit of a sick feeling? Whatever about not starting Sturridge, I just cannot understand why he wasn't brought on for the last 20.

Needing three goals (most likely) against a strong team like Villareal who are also extremely good on the counter is a huge task.

I just can't see us getting through. Watch Sturridge start against Swansea and get injured now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Don't think Sturridge would've helped much. We were slow enough getting the ball front to back and even an industrious player like Firmino wasn't getting much of the ball in space. He dropped deep a lot, as Sturridge would have.

Maybe he gets a pot shot and its all worth it, but set against the risk of playing with 10 the rest of the time I can see why Sturridge was overlooked.

We really really missed Origi.

We had no pace in behind, nobody even filling the space up front, no penetration and nobody carrying the ball from midfield except Firmino the odd time, which meant he wasn't where we're needed him.

Its nobody's fault really. Klopp gave it as good a go as he could given the fairly poor side we had available.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Contrary to what most are saying, I thought we done pretty well last night. In every game there are individual mistakes/items we could focus on....the first half in the Dortmund game at Anfield is largely forgotten and that is a time we were genuinely rubbish.
    Villreal were excellent last night, except for about a 20 minute period they were first to everything, closed down quickly...but didn't make too many chances.
    Kudos to Mig for that save, and double kudos to Lucas who was superb last night.

Ibe coming on was a great idea, but the opposition changed how they played to counter that and limit his chances, he also made poor decisions most of the time he did get a run.

We probably could have brought Benteke on earlier, we were forced to play alot of long balls and when he came on is when we started winning them, throughout the match watching Firmino and Lalana trying to win aerial duels was a bit painful.

It's all to play for in the second leg, I think we will be much better at home and go through.

Gbear wrote: »
    Don't think Sturridge would've helped much. We were slow enough getting the ball front to back and even an industrious player like Firmino wasn't getting much of the ball in space. He dropped deep a lot, as Sturridge would have.....

Do you really think so?

I think if Sturridge was playing with firmino both wouldn't be dropping back so that alone would create space, Sturridge attracts defenders attention as he's a lethal goalscorer.

Having him on the bench for 90 mins was a ridiculous decision IMO, which I thought before, during & after the game.

Benteke was brought on too late too, Villa Real showed little interest in having a go, we matched them in that department.

All that said 0 - 0 would have been deserved but with our defense playing for a 0 - 0 is naive in the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Really disappointed in last nights match, Sturridge could of got a goal I'm convinced of it. He is very good at creating space for himself and his team mates.

Villareal are a well organized side, they will sit deep and frustrate us at home, protect there lead and look to hit us on the break where they are most dangerous.

I'm fearing a Houllier Fowler type situation with Klopp & Sturridge. I do hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Augeo wrote: »
    I'm fearing a Houllier Fowler type situation

Why did you have to ruin my Friday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It was a great away day performance except for the result so it ultimately failed :pac:

Did Klopp tell us why he didn't put on a striker much sooner?

Ibe is really annoying me now, needs sending on loan again but to a Prem side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

It was a great away day performance except for the result so it ultimately failed :pac:

Did Klopp tell us why he didn't put on a striker much sooner?

Read a quote somewhere that the reason Benteke was put on was to help defend more so than attack.

I honestly don't know why he was so tentative when it was clear something could have been got from that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Do you really think so?

I think if Sturridge was playing with firmino both wouldn't be dropping back so that alone would create space, Sturridge attracts defenders attention as he's a lethal goalscorer.

Having him on the bench for 90 mins was a ridiculous decision IMO, which I thought before, during & after the game.

Benteke was brought on too late too, Villa Real showed little interest in having a go, we matched them in that department.

All that said 0 - 0 would have been deserved but with our defense playing for a 0 - 0 is naive in the extreme.

Don't think we could've afforded to start him. Not with that midfield 3.

Maybe he should've come on instead of Ibe, but then you're relying on wandering Firmino to be disciplined enough to cover Moreno.

You can take these risks if you're not **** on the ball but the team we had available was.

I'd have taken off Moreno, moved Clyne to LB, dropped Milner to RB brought on Sturridge and moved Firmino to left side attack and Ibe to right side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not to worry Ibe will be better than Sterling.

This is so annoying how people pop up with this line, 2 seasons ago ibe looked a terrific talent and it was not unreasonable to say he could go down sterlings route. He hasent and thats that, the "I told you so attitude" is unnecessary.

Anyways, dissapointing result but very much still an open affair. All set up for another classic anfield european night hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Don't know why Klopp could feel we could keep a clean sheet against s very decent side, albeit low scoring, in a massive game when we couldn't keep a clean sheet against Newcastle.
    Hopefully we don't rue not scoring next week. Massive game, so I'll do the thread.

I suppose the upside is that there will be no ambiguity about what approach to take next week - it has to be attack with an attacking selection and formation, had we got out with a 1-0 win there would have been a danger of trying hold that advantage through control and defending.

Do you really think so?

He does, that's why he posted it. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Some of you guys might be interested, Kevin Keegan is a guest on the Late Late Show tonight and there is a Hillsborough tribute on it.

Gbear wrote: »
    Don't think we could've afforded to start him. Not with that midfield 3.

Maybe he should've come on instead of Ibe, but then you're relying on wandering Firmino to be disciplined enough to cover Moreno.

You can take these risks if you're not **** on the ball but the team we had available was.

Millner should be tasked with covering Moreno if Moreno bombs forward, also Lucas & the 2 CBS should be last line of defence and not too high.

Lallana, Ibe & an out of form Firmino is a joke of a front 3, none of them are drawn to the box naturally, they are all support players and there was no one to support last night. Benteke did give VR something to think about for the little time he was on.

The claim that Sturridge makes us a 10 man team is lunacy IMO, the oppositions defence wil never think he's not contributing.

No better man for the job next week but if we concede another we need 3, VR have a huge advantage now.

That's football but I really feel we didn't even attempt to play to our strengths last night.

We had to do feck all pressing as we had the ball quite often anyway, they really did a job tactically on us and we plodded away playing into their hands for 80 odd minutes.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He does, that's why he posted it. :cool:

Got there before you kid but you didn't spot the subtlety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Still pi$$ed off from last night.

I hate this attitude 'we'll do em' at Anfield' because we wont always have nights like we had against Dortmund.

I really think we could have scored a few goals last night if he started with Sturridge, or even gave him 30 - 35 minutes. Lallana did nothing and Ibe was a shocking sub to bring on. Too negative. You'd think we were playing Barcelona they way he went about the game.

They have very little about them, their not that good and are easily the worst of the 3 we could have wanted in the semi, we should beat them next week.. but we leave ourselves open now w/o an away goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

We should have had a few goals without Sturridge also last night lets not forget.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement