Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

8-10 wrote: »
    Could definitely get behind that one!

His defending is arguably worse than Moreno's, although not quite as wreckless, but holy crap does he have a left foot on him. He'd give us that Kolarov type option from left back, in my opinion. Certainly wouldn't be against it.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Fairly sure K'nex. was banging on about Jethro a while back but everyone ignored him after how wrong he was about Sturridge.

That was Knex with the silent "K".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Are top knots the new mohawks?

A handy identifier of bellends everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

NukaCola wrote: »
    We should expect another CM then, unless Klopp rotates him into CM when needed.

It's desperately needed IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Knex. wrote: »
    A handy identifier of bellends everywhere.

Seems to be,alright. Bloody things are everywhere these days. Probably just showing my age really because I've had some daft hair styles in my time.

I suppose the games in America are middle of the night jobbies yeah?

SlickRic wrote: »
    It's desperately needed IMO.

I think we'll see more of Grujic than people think.

• Advertisement

I think Grujic is nailed on to start alongside Can. Klopp has talked previously about a lack of team height and I think Matip and Grujic were bought with this is mind.

There is some competition for the front 4 places. You would think Coutinho and Mane are also nailed on so then we have 2 places to fill and quite a few options. I think the player most as risk from the new signing could be Sturridge with Firmino playing at the top of a very fluid 3-4.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Seems to be,alright. Bloody things are everywhere these days. Probably just showing my age really because I've had some daft hair styles in my time.

I suppose the games in America are middle of the night jobbies yeah?

Ya, all in the early am.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Wijnaldum has taken Agger's squad number so fairly certain he'll be starting alongside Sakho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Ardent wrote: »
    Very underwhelmed with the signing of Wijnaldum. Another Newcastle player who went missing for the entire season. But I guess that's the level we're at, these are the signings we have to make do with.

Our policy now seems to be to buy up players who have one or two good seasons with a mid-table Premier league club.

I'd love to see a list of these kinds of purchases we've made over the past 25 years, and what percentage of them worked out. I think it would make dire reading. But as you say, we are where we are and probably can't do much else. I've lost all hope though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Just give this man the armband already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We lost our group.

I thought you guys never walked alone :) Fair play to her.

Sakho for captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Who was the scouse young fella in that video?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Klopp's focus between now and the end of the transfer window will be adding another defender. #lfc (Chris Bascombe)

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/756560346018619392?lang=en-gb

...... I think the player most as risk from the new signing could be Sturridge with Firmino playing at the top of a very fluid 3-4.

Unsurprisingly I don't agree, Sturridge loves to wander about, most capable of all our players in a fluid front 3 or 4 accepting he's not as pacy as he was. Nearing 27 that was inevitable too IMO.

Origi more suited than firmino to lead the attack too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Who was the scouse young fella in that video?

Conor Randall

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

marno21 wrote: »
    Wijnaldum has taken Agger's squad number so fairly certain he'll be starting alongside Sakho.

In his interview he said he took the number 5 cos that was available and was also his number back at his first club :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

One of things that's been ongoing for a few seasons hasn't been an absence of quality per se but a lack of consistency. Relative to the top 4, yes we're not great, but we finished bloody 8th last season!

Maybe that's what Klopp's game is?

He knows he can't have the quality of other teams and top players probably won't come here, so instead he's using all this money to build a really broad squad.
    He'll obviously be hoping for diamonds in the ruff, but in the meantime, instead of having to rely on Sturridge being fit for the whole season or bust, losing all of our dynamism in midfield when Hendo's out or losing all our goals from behind the striker if Firmino disappears, he'll at least be able to maintain a level of performance that should put us ahead of your West Hams, Southamptons and so on.

At any given time we're probably going to be missing 2-3 of a our first team front 6 so while we'll have

Can, Hendo, Grujic, Wijnaldum, Milner, Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino, Mane, Sturridge, Origi, Ings - 12 players (+ maybe Markovic? if he's in the USA he might have some chance).
    We'll probably only have 9-10 to choose 6 starters from.

It might be even more important because how many injuries Klopp's players seemed to get at Dortmund. Maybe his style can't be borne by most players for a full season, so even with relatively few games, he'll still need to rotate a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Kolo joining Celtic

Augeo wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly I don't agree, Sturridge loves to wander about, most capable of all our players in a fluid front 3 or 4 accepting he's not as pacy as he was. Nearing 27 that was inevitable too IMO.

Origi more suited than firmino to lead the attack too.

I'd have Sturridge up front every time but I'm trying to second guess what's going on.

Trying to predict the front 4 is very very difficult and the new signing makes it even more complicated. Would he spend £25 million on a player for the bench ?

I watched a compilation of all our goals from last season and I think I've really underestimated how good Firmino is. After watching it I can't see him or Coutinho out of the first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

paulie21 wrote: »
    Kolo joining Celtic

Not a bad move for him, I wish him the best, what a nice man Kolo is.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

'We're here because we want to leave Mama here'.
    :pac:

........ Would he spend £25 million on a player for the bench ?

I watched a compilation of all our goals from last season and I think I've really underestimated how good Firmino is. After watching it I can't see him or Coutinho out of the first 11.

Re £25 million on a player for the bench, being on the bench is something all of our players except probably Clyne will experience frequently. Age etc considered £25m isn't huge these days.

I reckon Klopp will use 60 min substitutions frequently. I love the look of the squad he is building, and it's very much a squad rather than a first 11 :) We'll have serious options on the bench barring an injury crisis.

Re Firmino, seriously class player. I reckon he's after an unreal first PL season and expect improvement next year.

Toure to Celtic, if he perfrom to 80% of what we saw last year he's a very credible player, I'd argue a 35 year old Toure and definitely Moussa Dembele are too good for the SPL. I wish him the very best though, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I really hope we start with something like this come August.

Cn_doIiWEAAxmrW.jpg

Tie a wheelie bin to sakho and that could be the new left back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

If Wijnaldum is good enough to displace Coutinho / Firmino / Mane / Sturridge then he will be a very good signing.

I'm very happy to be going in with a front 4 of:

Mane
    Firmino
    Coutinho

Sturridge

I think all 4 are really capable of interchanging and being fluid. There should be no doubts about Sturridge's capabilities of being fluid - the man has far more to his game than just being a goal scorer. He has a huge amount of experience playing out wide, and even showed that he is comfortable playing as a 10/playmaker when he came on against Wales in the Euros.

But for me the above 4 are nailed on as our starters.

I don't know a huge amount about Wijnaldum, but from what I've seen / read I can't see how he would be considered above the above 4. But we know players dip in form too, Mane in particular has a track record of generally being either spectacular or anonymous so there is scope for Wijnaldum, Lallana, Origi and Ings to force their way in. Nice to have options anyway.

There is undoubtedly goals now in our team, which is absolutely crucial to putting away the weaker teams in the league. We've all experienced the frustration of Liverpool struggling to score in some recent seasons, but I would be surprised if this happens with regularity this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

paulie21 wrote: »
    Kolo joining Celtic

Disappointed to see him go, disappointed to see him go to Scotland too but he'll play and hopefully get another medal to add to his very impressive career haul.

League titles with Arsenal, City and ASEC Mimosas, as well as 3 FA Cups and an African Cup of Nations in 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I hope there is no truth in mahrez to arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Disappointed to see him go, disappointed to see him go to Scotland too but he'll play and hopefully get another medal to add to his very impressive career haul.

League titles with Arsenal, City and ASEC Mimosas, as well as 3 FA Cups and an African Cup of Nations in 2015.
    Champions league games, chance of a championship, certainly we be adored up there by Celtic fans. probably get another two season barring serious injury. probably a solid wage.delighted for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Wouldn't be surprised to see Coutinho or Lallana dropping back into a midfield 3 either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Morzadec wrote: »
    I don't know a huge amount about Wijnaldum, but from what I've seen / read I can't see how he would be considered above the above 4.
    On the evidence of the Europa League Final, Wijnaldum and Mane are there to compete with/displace Coutinho and Lallana. Both new signings are faster and more direct which is how Klopp likes the forwards to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Looks like Mahrez is going to Arsenal for 50m. They are splashing out this summer and making some good buys. If they get a top striker they'll be serious contenders (insert joke here, I know).

I can't understand why we are not splashing out. We need a big player or two to come in.

gafferino wrote: »
    Looks like Mahrez is going to Arsenal for 50m. They are splashing out this summer and making some good buys. If they get a top striker they'll be serious contenders (insert joke here, I know).

I can't understand why we are not splashing out. We need a big player or two to come in.

Who're we not buying?

Who were you expecting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Classic Arsenal. Buy a Mahrez when they need a Kante.

Milkers wrote: »
    Classic Arsenal. Buy a Mahrez when they need a Kante.

Indeed they've needed a DM for many moons.

They've already brought Xhaka in.
    Him and a striker would be far more influential than a quantitative improvement in an already well stocked AM position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They tried for Vardy got Mahrez and got Xhaka instead of Kante so they are basically trying to turn into Leicester.

• Advertisement

Forgot Xhaka. Good signing.

Coutinho got a tattoo of his daughter over in Brazil. My god its bad, really bad.

627c240f8b10954cd690bbb5e2c11237ba233905.jpeg

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/2016-tour/228862-philippe-coutinho-explains-his-new-tattoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Coutinho got a tattoo of his daughter over in Brazil. My god its bad, really bad.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/2016-tour/228862-philippe-coutinho-explains-his-new-tattoo

That is horrendous. The child looks like something out of lord of the rings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Can everybody just grow up and stop getting tattoos.

J Mysterio wrote: »

She's a bit young to be a tattoo artist but not bad for a first effort. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Only stupid immature people get tattoos.

**** off...

Did his daughter give him the tattoo?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Looks like Compo from last of the summer wine.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Did his daughter give him the tattoo?

Are you repeating what I said for people that have me on ignore? :p

Who said that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Talisman wrote: »
    On the evidence of the Europa League Final, Wijnaldum and Mane are there to compete with/displace Coutinho and Lallana. Both new signings are faster and more direct which is how Klopp likes the forwards to play.

I definitely felt that a wide forward (i.e. Mane) rather than an attacking midfielder (Lallana / Coutinho) was the top priority this summer - and totally agree with you / Klopp about needing this paciness, direct play and goal threat. So if Wijnaldum can deliver this too then I have no arguments with adding 2 players here.

Lallana does not offer a goal threat, Coutinho mostly offers one from long shots. Mane will offer something really different, will be more direct as you say and try to get in behind. Wijnaldum (from looking at his goals last year) seems to offer a threat as a late midfield runner in the box, maybe a it like how Gerrard / Lampard scored many of their goals.

Still unclear where Wijnaldum will play. If Klopp started him in a midfield 2, along with the attacking 4 I mentioned earlier, we would have serious goal threat in the team. May not be wise, but perhaps an option in home games against weaker teams likely to park a bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Maybe, just maybe he has a really ugly daughter and the tattoo is a perfect likeness. As for all the moaning about tattoo's, it's a cultural shift that isn't going to reverse so going on about it makes you sound like whiny oul lads. Just let them on.
    I do wonder about the risk of infection for professional athletes though as it take a week or so to scab over enough to no longer be an open wound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Daemonic wrote: »
    I do wonder about the risk of infection for professional athletes though as it take a week or so to scab over enough to no longer be an open wound.

I'd have a doctor look at that, if I were you.

Daemonic wrote: »
    Maybe, just maybe he has a really ugly daughter and the tattoo is a perfect likeness. As for all the moaning about tattoo's, it's a cultural shift that isn't going to reverse so going on about it makes you sound like whiny oul lads. Just let them on.

I'm normally a whiny aul lad but I have nothing against tattoos...that's just a terrible one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

You're streets behind, man. Paully D broke it years ago, and I don't know why I remember it but I do.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75459692#post75459692
    That was five years ago or 10 season ago, on my god! I've wasted my life and I'm not sure I did the years seasons joke right but I've been out of the loop trying to catch digimons.

x43r0 wrote: »
    Just give this man the armband already!

Captain armband is beneath that lion. He's gunning for King of the Liverpool Country.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement