Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    That was five years ago or 10 season ago, on my god! I've wasted my life and I'm not sure I did the years seasons joke right but I've been out of the loop trying to catch digimons.

Captain armband is beneath that lion. He's gunning for King of the Liverpool Country.

Why does being a joker and getting on with people mean someone is captain material many people's opinon?

It's more that that, leadership, drive, motivation and management skills are what are required not just social skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

https://twitter.com/jamespearceecho/status/756871201218174976
    Asked Klopp where he sees Wijnaldum playing. He said he could be one of the 3 or the 2 in 4-2-3-1 or either side in 4-3-3. Versatile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Ibe scored for Bournemouth this evening against 2008 FA Cup champions Portsmouth.

Never should 'ave sold 'im amirite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ibe scored for Bournemouth this evening against 2008 FA Cup champions Portsmouth.

Never should 'ave sold 'im amirite

That buy back clause looking like a smart move already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Watching Celtic V Leicester. Izaguirre's build up play is really good but his crossing is perhaps the worst I have ever seen for a pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why does being a joker and getting on with people mean someone is captain material many people's opinon?

It's more that that, leadership, drive, motivation and management skills are what are required not just social skills.

Did I say he should be captain? No but imo his as good a candidate for capris. As our current captain and shows more drive and motivation on the pitch.
    Murph, we don't interact much but I always get the feeling your jumping down my the throat.

Please everyone be nice, I've been on a safe pass all ****ing day and I'm fragile. I may need to seek out some safe space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sakho the class clown. Not a captain.
    Captains never smile, they growl.

Sakho the class clown. Not a captain.
    Captains never smile, they growl skip.

2b6Yo7e.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Hard to pick a Captain. As well as the trait's needed you would hope he would be one of the first names in the preferred starting 11 .I am not sure Henderson or milner will be in the longterm .Can might be the best candidate longterm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

sword1 wrote: »
    Hard to pick a Captain. As well as the trait's needed you would hope he would be one of the first names in the preferred starting 11 .I am not sure Henderson or milner will be in the longterm .Can might be the best candidate longterm

I can't see him hanging around long enough for that to be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Apart from the coin toss, a token clap of the hands and a "come on lads" every so often its hard to see why Henderson is club captain......maybe the captaincy is a bit overstated anyway, or Jordan is a natural leader behind the scenes....its hard to know i suppose....

NukaCola wrote: »
    Apart from the coin toss, a token clap of the hands and a "come on lads" every so often its hard to see why Henderson is club captain......maybe the captaincy is a bit overstated anyway, or Jordan is a natural leader behind the scenes....its hard to know i suppose....

Was Gerrard ever actually a leader either?

He was usually our best player and doing best player things, but I don't think you'd ever really see him raising the game of those around him.

He seems pretty quiet.

Carra was the real captain on the field.

If there is anyone who'd be the cajoling inspirational sort it'd have to be Sakho, but he's an absolutel lunatic. Dunno do you want that when we're already pretty high energy and high aggression.

Hendo was made captain probably for the same reason Lucas could have been. Reward for being a "top lad". You could argue he earned it without necessarily having deserved it.

Gbear wrote: »
    Was Gerrard ever actually a leader either?

He was usually our best player and doing best player things, but I don't think you'd ever really see him raising the game of those around him.

He seems pretty quiet.

Carra was the real captain on the field.

If there is anyone who'd be the cajoling inspirational sort it'd have to be Sakho, but he's an absolutel lunatic. Dunno do you want that when we're already pretty high energy and high aggression.

Hendo was made captain probably for the same reason Lucas could have been. Reward for being a "top lad". You could argue he earned it without necessarily having deserved it.

I think the captaincy is a bit overplayed, like if things are going wrong, is a guy shouting "come on" etc really going to make a difference on the field? I would like to think theres a lot of behind the scenes stuff to being a top captain but its hard to imagine team morale/performance can be boosted by one player.

Whatever above the captain, the team is short on leaders and this was painfully exposed in the Europa final.

Henderson is a born leader. He's always giving instructions on the pitch.

Sakho is a leader too.

Can may be captain material in the future alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I think the captaincy is a bit overplayed, like if things are going wrong, is a guy shouting "come on" etc really going to make a difference on the field? I would like to think theres a lot of behind the scenes stuff to being a top captain but its hard to imagine team morale/performance can be boosted by one player.

Luis Suarez says hi. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sky reporting Brad Smith going to Bournemouth for 6m. Decent deal for all parties if true. We surely are buying an LB if thats true.

With Flanagan leaving as well we really need two fullbacks now right and left sided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Great deal and a great move for smith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

With Flanagan leaving as well we really need two fullbacks now right and left sided.

Left with Randall as back up to Clyne. :eek:

Surprised to see Smith go, some were looking for him to be 1st choice last season.

We are starting to develop a lot better players making good money on players brought through the academy. We have buy back clauses for Ibe,Canos & Smith too. Very good business

Sterling - 49m
    Ibe - 15m -
    Sinclair - 4m
    Smith - 6m
    Canos - 4.5m

On est1982 someone noted the absence of Ian Ayre from the media (including LFC's own material) this summer.

Leeds Charlie Taylor would be decent as Smith's replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,653 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Left with Randall as back up to Clyne. :eek:

Surprised to see Smith go, some were looking for him to be 1st choice last season.

From the very little i have seen of those too , Smith would stay and Randall shipped out . Just going on cup games they played.

cjmc wrote: »
    From the very little i have seen of those too , Smith would stay and Randall shipped out . Just going on cup games they played.
    Yeah, Randall looked distinctly average, tbh, and Smith looked far superior to him but Smith and Moreno were both more attack focused LBs so maybe Klopp is looking for a better defensive LB?

Or just play a winger there and go 3 at the back, it can't be much worse than having Moreno defend.:pac:

I think Gomez would be seen as back up to Clyne when fully fit. Randall is not good enough maybe Trent Arnold could breakthrough & get some games in that position too.

Trent Alexander Arnold will become a right winger I think, a right side Bale though he could do the job for a season or two - but dunno if it's this one!

Get Doni back, can play LB/RB and in goals if needed.....

Seriously, the FB situation is getting worse by the day.....

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think Gomez would be seen as back up to Clyne when fully fit. Randall is not good enough maybe Trent Arnold could breakthrough & get some games in that position too.
    I doubt Gomez would get played in RB as he has limited experience playing at LB and being a left footer would hinder him more at RB, I'd say.

Get Doni back, can play LB/RB and in goals if needed.....

Seriously, the FB situation is getting worse by the day.....
    Steve Nicol ftw.

As good as Doni in most positions except couldn't play in goals:)

• Advertisement

I doubt Gomez would get played in RB as he has limited experience playing at LB and being a left footer would hinder him more at RB, I'd say.
    Gomez is right footed & has played RB for England u21's & Charlton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Gomez is right footed. He played a bit at RB for Charlton.

Milner could also play RB if necessary.

Gomez was another player played out of position by the previous manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

cjmc wrote: »

Said it at the time but Randall v Southampton was the worst half of football from a right back since Flanagan v Blackburn a few years ago.

All for giving young players a chance but it's clear those two won't be good enough.

MD1990 wrote: »
    We are starting to develop a lot better players making good money on players brought through the academy. We have buy back clauses for Ibe,Canos & Smith too. Very good business

Sterling - 49m
    Ibe - 15m -
    Sinclair - 4m
    Smith - 6m
    Canos - 4.5m

Sterling aside, is that the case or is it just inflation?

For ages everyone has been going on about how we've bought squad players when we should be getting in improvements to the first team, but now I've gone on about how Klopp is some kind of genius for doing the same thing....

Is there any differnce to anything else we've done in the past 20 years?

Maybe you can argue that Mane and Wijnaldum, the bulk of our outlay, add pace, direct running and goals.
    Of course Lallana and Markovic no doubt had the same kind of thinking behind them.

One thing we've done a lot is buy loads of players and then just **** them all off shortly afterwards. Have we ever really been able to use our bloated squads to any great degree?
    We bought depth with Benteke, Lambert, Balotelli, Aspas and they made about 40 appearances between them over 4 seasons.

If we're not outrunning every team in the league this season, then there's no point on having this huge squad.
    If we're getting to the point where Lallana, Milner and Ings all want to leave because they never play, fine, we try again with more decent players, and maybe we creep forward a little bit more in quality.
    But then the two steps backwards happen, when Coutinho leaves, probably followed by Can shortly afterwards.

We're walking up the down escalator and while every now and again a miracle might happen along, it'll be at best a fleeting victory. Sustained success is bought and Klopp can't train or bargain-buy his way round that.

I'd sooner see Gomez at LB than Moreno even if that amounts to Gomez being played out of position.

So what's our net spend so far this summer if all deals go through :pac:

.......... Sustained success is bought and Klopp can't train or bargain-buy his way round that.

The sort of dominance that Liverpool FC wielded in the 80s is long gone and I don't expect to see it again.

Chelsea, Man City & Man Utd have all illustrated recently that sustained success can't even be bought anymore.

• Advertisement

So what's our net spend so far this summer if all deals go through :pac:

A profit of about 20m is possible I think :) Trebles all round!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Said it at the time but Randall v Southampton was the worst half of football from a right back since Flanagan v Blackburn a few years ago.

All for giving young players a chance but it's clear those two won't be good enough.

Flanagan was brilliant in 13/14. He hasnt been good since coming back but then it has to be expected he will be rusty and need game time to find form.

I like him. He's commited, quick and a good tackler. Aaaand Luverpudlian. Much rather see Randall moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

We're walking up the down escalator and while every now and again a miracle might happen along, it'll be at best a fleeting victory. Sustained success is bought and Klopp can't train or bargain-buy his way round that.

These posts actually make me angry... at what stage will fans just accept that we're not going to do it the City/Chelsea way? We hired a manager who's strength is in developing players to play his preferred style of football in an effective manner.

He doesn't want ready made superstars as they have their own idea of how they should play. He wants clay he can mould, not a perfect sculpture that looks out of place.

Dortmund won and retained the league under him... do people not realise what an achievement that was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Agree with all that post,some very childish posts at times saying why don't we sign xyz and pay twice what they are worth, the reality for the near future is 5th/6th in the league is about right,hopefully win the odd cup.It is a business and the maths say we should not be in the same category as the man u,city,chelsea and arsenal.The reality is spurs,west ham may pass liverpool out.The history of the club is better, but its just that, history. Of course i hope for better, win the league etc but don't expect it .Hopefully the club will spend less on players than sales as there is a big cost to the stadium this year

Agree with all that post,some very childish posts at times saying why don't we sign xyz and pay twice what they are worth, the reality for the near future is 5th/6th in the league is about right,hopefully win the odd cup.It is a business and the maths say we should not be in the same category as the man u,city,chelsea and arsenal.The reality is spurs,west ham may pass liverpool out.The history of the club is better, but its just that, history. Of course i hope for better, win the league etc but don't expect it .Hopefully the club will spend less on players than sales as there is a big cost to the stadium this year

You say you agree with the above post but then your post shows you do not - 'as the maths say'.

Thinking we will finish 5th/6th indicates that you too believe that we do need to spend the gazillions.

The point is that is not Klopps method amd we can be successfull and we can win the league his way.

Rich Man City dont run away with it and havent been great. Chelsea were horrible and apathetic recently and Leicester blew us all away.

Have faith in team spirit, collective will and determination with Kloppo's tactical nous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    These posts actually make me angry... at what stage will fans just accept that we're not going to do it the City/Chelsea way?

I think we all have accepted we're not going to be doing it the City/Chelsea way. Just some of us believe that's the only way anymore, and that's the reason for the negativity.

I don't think anyone is criticising Klopp or the club, we just don't believe we can compete anymore at the very top level. My friends get annoyed when I express the same sentiment too, but it's not meant to upset anyone, it's just my opinion. You can be a fan of a club and be negative about their prospects. You won't find many villa or Newcastle fans who think they're going to be a European powerhouss in the years to come!

• Advertisement

Villa and Newcastle havent just spent £35M and £25M on two players.

why don't we sign xyz and pay twice what they are worth

Can he play LB?

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Villa and Newcastle havent just spent £35M and £25M on two players.

What's your point? Liverpool have multiples of income. Benteke was bought for his goals while being the wrong sort of striker - blame Rodgers poor player judgement for that. Wijnaldum has been bought for his midfield versatility and goal threat and it remains to be seen whether it's been a good buy or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Looks like Allen is off to Stoke for 13M

Also looks like Lucas did his Hamstring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Kolo to Celtic

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement