Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Reports from holland that we bid for jethro williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

ricero wrote: »
    Reports from holland that we bid for jethro williams

Yeah .a LB :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Jetro Willems would be a very good signing. I have watched him play few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I haven't seen him play much but what I read about him yesterday is that he is Moreno Mrk2 but with a better left foot and not a great defender.

I haven't seen him play much but what I read about him yesterday is that he is Moreno Mrk2 but with a better left foot and not a great defender.

Ahhh shi#%

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

We should just spend the LB money on another AM that's not needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Well, he has CL experience, experience at winning titles and international experience also, and has only turned 22.

I wont go into stats because people might get upset but from what I've been told this guy has massive potential and would upgrade our LB significantly. Depending on price could be a good buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

NukaCola wrote: »
    Well, he has CL experience, experience at winning titles and international experience also, and has only turned 22.

I wont go into stats because people might get upset but from what I've been told this guy has massive potential and would upgrade our LB significantly. Depending on price could be a good buy.

I don't think it's an instant significant improvement at LB. He certainly has a high ceiling of potential but not the solid defensive player most wanted for LB. but at the price he'll go for he's definitely worth the shot. If he comes in it's to split time with Moreno, not to outright replace or be a backup.

In short I'd be happy to get him because of how good he could turn out to be if he takes to the EPL, but he is more Kolarov than Clichy which is why I'm not sure people will see an instant improvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Karius - Mignolet - Manninger

================

Clyne - Flanagan

Sakho - Lovren - Matip - Klavan - Gomez

Moreno - Gomez? - Klavan?

================

Can - Lucas

Henderson - Grujic - Milner

Coutinho - Wijnaldum - Lallana

Mane - Markovic - Firmino

================

Sturridge - Origi - Ings

Trying to ignore players currently at the club who I'm fairly certain will be loaned out or sold. We still have a glaring need for an upgrade at left full imo. Thereafter, the depth is pretty good, though we arguably have too many players who like to occupy a similar area of the pitch and wouldn't be badly served by one more player comfortable playing high on either touchline.

Being positive, the squad fits slightly better than it did last year, should have enough depth to cope with our fixture list and has been assembled in advance of our first competitive games.

The negatives are that Mane and Wijnaldum simply aren't players who would have been in demand for Champions League level teams. Hopefully Klopp can take them to the next level and they fit what he wants to do. But it's hard to argue that we've made a major relative improvement to the clubs around us on paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

8-10 wrote: »
    I don't think it's an instant significant improvement at LB. He certainly has a high ceiling of potential but not the solid defensive player most wanted for LB. but at the price he'll go for he's definitely worth the shot. If he comes in it's to split time with Moreno, not to outright replace or be a backup.

In short I'd be happy to get him because of how good he could turn out to be if he takes to the EPL, but he is more Kolarov than Clichy which is why I'm not sure people will see an instant improvement

That's actually one of the best descriptions of him that I have heard.

I have seen Willems play. He will not make us more defensively sound than Moreno, at least not right away.

I'd give my right arm for a left back equivalent to Clyne but I think it would probably be quite limiting for our attacking play so we're far more likely to see a second attacking full back added on the left than a defensive one.

If it's Willems, fine. If it's anyone else, fine with that too.

As much as I'm sure we'll be kicking ourselves watching Chilwell (or Charlie Taylor of Leeds) in a few seasons, I think we're in a position where we really need someone who is capable of playing regularly now, not a potentially good LB. Willems would give us that while still also having the potential to improve drastically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

That's actually one of the best descriptions of him that I have heard.

I have seen Willems play. He will not make us more defensively sound than Moreno, at least not right away.

I'd give my right arm for a left back equivalent to Clyne but I think it would probably be quite limiting for our attacking play so we're far more likely to see a second attacking full back added on the left than a defensive one.

If it's Willems, fine. If it's anyone else, fine with that too.

As much as I'm sure we'll be kicking ourselves watching Chilwell (or Charlie Taylor of Leeds) in a few seasons, I think we're in a position where we really need someone who is capable of playing regularly now, not a potentially good LB. Willems would give us that while still also having the potential to improve drastically.

Thought Chillwell played really well yesterday against Celtic, wish we'd go in for him.

The club should just go and buy Cresswell a good solid defender with plenty of PL experience and was a youth player at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Vicxas wrote: »
    Thought Chillwell played really well yesterday against Celtic, wish we'd go in for him.

Plus we could use his name to meditate on Meltdown Mondays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Vicxas wrote: »
    The club should just go and buy Cresswell a good solid defender with plenty of PL experience and was a youth player at the club.

About 10m difference to be fair and Cresswell (who took a big bang to a knee yesterday) is first choice at WHU, whereas Chilwell remains a (very good) "prospect" at this stage. If Brad Smith is worth 6m to Bournemouth no one should complain if Chilwell costs 10 million or so.

About 10m difference to be fair and Cresswell is first choice at WHU, whereas Chilwell remains a (very good) "prospect" at this stage. If Brad Smith is worth 6m to Bournemouth no one should complain if Chilwell costs 10 million or so.

£10m is the new £2.5m ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

MD1990 wrote: »
    Sky reporting Brad Smith going to Bournemouth for 6m. Decent deal for all parties if true. We surely are buying an LB if thats true.

We're becoming Bournemouth's Southampton. Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Knex. wrote: »
    We're becoming Bournemouth's Southampton. Fair play.

As long as players don't start going from Southampton to Bournemouth via Liverpool, It doesn't bother me.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Lloyd - I can't believe you forgot about Ragnar Klavan in your player list.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

================

Clyne - Flanagan

Sakho - Lovren - Matip - Gomez

Moreno - Gomez?

================

Can - Lucas

Henderson - Grujic - Milner

Coutinho - Wijnaldum - Lallana

Mane - Markovic - Firmino

================

Sturridge - Origi - Ings

Trying to ignore players currently at the club who I'm fairly certain will be loaned out or sold. We still have a glaring need for an upgrade at left full imo. Thereafter, the depth is pretty good, though we arguably have too many players who like to occupy a similar area of the pitch and wouldn't be badly served by one more player comfortable playing high on either touchline.

Being positive, the squad fits slightly better than it did last year, should have enough depth to cope with our fixture list and has been assembled in advance of our first competitive games.

The negatives are that Mane and Wijnaldum simply aren't players who would have been in demand for Champions League level teams. Hopefully Klopp can take them to the next level and they fit what he wants to do. But it's hard to argue that we've made a major relative improvement to the clubs around us on paper.

I think Stewart will also make the squad, he helps with homegrown numbers even if he's not top quality.

I expect Lucas and Markovic to miss out from that list, and add in Klavan. I'd have the 25-man squad as:

Clyne - Gomez - Moreno - Flanagan - New LB

Lovren - Sakho - Matip - Klavan

Can - Henderson - Gruijic - Stewart

Wijnaldum - Mane - Milner - Coutinho - Lallana

Sturridge - Ings - Origi - Firmino

Meaning that there's no spot for the following:

Benteke
    Lucas
    Allen
    Ilori
    Balotelli
    Wisdom
    Markovic
    Alberto

And only guy I can see from my 25 that isn't nailed on is Flanagan. For one of the above 8 to get into the PL squad, Flanagan would have to leave. Same with any further signings after a new LB.

• Advertisement

Isn't Flanagan gone or going to Burnley

8-10 wrote: »
    I think Stewart will also make the squad, he helps with homegrown numbers even if he's not top quality.

I expect Lucas and Markovic to miss out from that list, and add in Klavan. I'd have the 25-man squad as:

Meaning that there's no spot for the following:

Benteke
    Lucas
    Allen
    Ilori
    Balotelli
    Wisdom
    Markovic
    Alberto

And only guy I can see from my 25 that isn't nailed on is Flanagan. For one of the above 8 to get into the PL squad, Flanagan would have to leave. Same with any further signings after a new LB.

I don't think there is a 25 man limit in the squad. That's only for Europe I think, which isn't something that will trouble us this season sadly, and even then, Grujic, Gomez, and Origi (I think) from those would be too young to be included in that anyhow.

3 weeks, 75 minutes to PL kickoff for Liverpool. Can't wait!

In 3 weeks we'll be waiting with baited breath for the first team sheets.

5starpool wrote: »
    I don't think there is a 25 man limit in the squad. That's only for Europe I think, which isn't something that will trouble us this season sadly, and even then, Grujic, Gomez, and Origi (I think) from those would be too young to be included in that anyhow.

No there's a 25-man squad limit now for the premier league, though you are correct in mentioning the u-21's that I overlooked.

At least 8 have to be homegrown, any less and the overall squad is reduced (so 7 homegrown = 24 man squad, 6 = 23 and so on)

In my list I had 9 homegrown but take out Flanagan and that's the 8.

Joe Gomez is indeed u-21 and an unlimited number of u-21's can be supplemented to the squad, but I would think if Flanno goes then Gomez will be a full squad member so as to get the 8 homegrown.

Since Gruijic and Origi are u-21 then yep, there's space for Lucas and Markovic + another to take Flanagan's place

Liverpool U21s playing Welsh league side Rhyl, after 33 mins they are 3-0 up Wilson, Lennon and Kent on the score sheet.

FT 4-1 to Liverpool Sam Hart added the 4th goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Cresswell would be a great signing. The Liverpool Echo included him in a list of potential LB targets for Klopp, though said that West Ham will absolutely never even entertain the potential sale. Shame!
    Isn't Flanagan gone or going to Burnley

Stayed behind from the US trip to consider the move. That he was even given the chance to stay behind to consider a transfer basically nails on the fact that he's leaving. Whether that's Burnley or not is the only thing that has to be confirmed.

I thought the PL introduced the 25 man squad rule in 2010? 25 man squad incl 8 home grown players, only applicable to those 21 or over. Unless this has changed since? It's basically the entire reason for the English player premium, though!!

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    ================

Sakho - Lovren - Matip - Gomez

================

Can - Lucas

Klavan too :)

I didn't know the 25 man thing applied in PL too, sorry. That being the case, and with the homegrown thing, I really can't see Henderson being sold as some have suggested.

I know it's spelled differently, and probably pronounced differently too, but whenever I see Klavan's name I can't help but think about this fella.

cliff-clavin.jpeg

Probably not a reference for the kids in here though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Oh yeah, Klavan.

What I don't like about the suggestion of letting Markovic go is it leaves you with too many similar players. He is probably not good enough, but in the context of the current squad a different option is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

is anywhere showing INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONS CUP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

El Inho wrote: »

Sky had it yesterday.

El Inho wrote: »

Sky are showing all games live except those involving utd & Chelsea those teams are showing their games live on their own channels Sky will show them at a delayed time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

3 weeks, 75 minutes to PL kickoff for Liverpool. Can't wait!

In 3 weeks we'll be waiting with baited breath for the first team sheets.

This reminder got me far too excited. You really would miss the aul' Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I know it's spelled differently, and probably pronounced differently too, but whenever I see Klavan's name I can't help but think about this fella.

cliff-clavin.jpeg

Probably not a reference for the kids in here though.

216075_5_.jpg

daithijjj wrote: »
    216075_5_.jpg

Logical ðŸ•ðŸ²ðŸº

This fella watches more youth football than I do. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Are we playing tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

emo72 wrote: »
    Are we playing tonight?

Not till Thursday.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/match/2016-17/first-team/fixtures-and-results

This is a game I'd like to see.

https://twitter.com/anfieldhq/status/757275891735166976

Jürgen Klopp starts upfront for #LFC tonight. A team of backroom members are taking on staff from Stanford University.

Full Team: Achterberg, French, Howarth, Krawietz, Haughan, Partridge, Kingston, Pons, O'Boyle, Ljinders, Klopp!

Richie Partridge finally makes it

• Advertisement

Totally off topic but since Cliff Clavin is in the thread today I have to say I am enjoying Hop House 13 a lovely beer for this weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Sky are showing all games live except those involving utd & Chelsea those teams are showing their games live on their own channels Sky will show them at a delayed time.

And Liverpool, Liverpool are showing their own games on LFCTV

And Liverpool, Liverpool are showing their own games on LFCTV

I thought the Liverpool games were on live on both Sky and LFC TV that's a bit of a bummer that they are exclusive to LFC TV.

I thought the Liverpool games were on live on both Sky and LFC TV that's a bit of a bummer that they are exclusive to LFC TV.

Just going by http://www.liverpoolfc.com/match/2016-17/first-team/fixtures-and-results they have them all marked as LFCTV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Liverpool take Juanma Garcia LB ex Barcelona on trial.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/liverpool-fc-take-former-barcelona-11657846

Just going by http://www.liverpoolfc.com/match/2016-17/first-team/fixtures-and-results they have them all marked as LFCTV

Just had a look on the Sky guide and the Chelsea game is the only one not being shown live on Sky for whatever reason.

The Milan and Barca games are live on Sky.

Just had a look on the Sky guide and the Chelsea game is the only one not being shown live on Sky for whatever reason.

The Milan and Barca games are live on Sky.

I dont have say anymore so maybe as you say sky cant show Chelsea so they cant show that game

Liverpool take Juanma Garcia LB ex Barcelona on trial.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/liverpool-fc-take-former-barcelona-11657846

Played today in 4-1 win over Rhyl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Ronnie Whelan says Liverpool will finish in top four ,hope he is right

• Advertisement

There is the kiss of death to the season :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement