Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I wouldn't be expecting a whole lot from us next season. There is a massive turnover in players coming and going.

I still think we're very light in areas and it remains to be seen whether we've improved any area we needed to strengthen .

Certainly left back and CM are still weak areas. Karius and Matip will need to prove themselves. Mane and Wijnaldum are additions but not head and shoulders above what we have already if any at all. Transfer window has been underwhelming being honest.

But I trust klopp

I'd be very disappointed if we didn't put in a proper challenge at top 4 and a decent cup run.

No Europe so no excuses not to go for the cups

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Out of the remaining squad I reckon that they are still pushing to get rid of a number of players before the window closes.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/first-team

I reckon the following will leave or the club will at least try hard to move them on.

Smith (practically gone)
    Ilori
    Wisdom (maybe might be kept as cover?)
    Jones (out on loan it looks like)
    Flanno (on loan)
    Lucas :(
    Jack Dunn (loan)
    Markovic
    Ryan Kent (loan)
    Luis Alberto
    Benteke
    Balotelli

That's still a lot of players to go out, even though 4 or 5 loans look close enough. We definitely need at least one more full back though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So Joe's gone
    When he goes out, yea I know he's going to be he's going to be the man who goes out to give it all. And at half time, if we're losing, yea I know he's going to be, he's going to be the man who gives a rallying call.
    And Joe would run 5 miles and Joe would run 1 more
    Just to be the man who ran 6 miles to
    fall down at the dressing room door .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/757667650751168512
    #LFC's pursuit of Ben Chilwell is over. Other options being considered....

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2FJack-Nicholson.gif

tumblr_mczq8g2lLx1qdf58io1_400.gif

trashing-the-room-o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

So Joe's gone
    When he goes out, yea I know he's going to be he's going to be the man who goes out to give it all. And at half time, if we're losing, yea I know he's going to be, he's going to be the man who gives a rallying call.
    And Joe would run 5 miles and Joe would run 1 more
    Just to be the man who ran 6 miles to
    fall down at the dressing room door .

Ooh I want a go!

There once was a man they call Studge
    Who's legs were made out of fudge
    He loves a good prayer
    Though sprint he'd not dare
    And he'd break several bones from a nudge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I genuinely thought Lucas could have done a great job as a CB for us, but with Ragnar brought it, it does look likely that he will be moved on. Pity, as he's been a great servant for the club, to say the least.

He's also the only real ball winning midfielder we have, especially with Allen now gone as well.

https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/757687724425908224
    Sheyi Ojo has joined up with the #LFC squad in Palo Alto. He's at the team hotel now. Emre Can will link up with the Reds in LA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Knex. wrote: »
    I genuinely thought Lucas could have done a great job as a CB for us, but with Ragnar brought it, it does look likely that he will be moved on. Pity, as he's been a great servant for the club, to say the least.

He's also the only real ball winning midfielder we have, especially with Allen now gone as well.

Yup, quite worried about that role being ignored. I'm fine with all action midfielders, but at least one of them has to be particularly defensively minded, able to spot danger and block it out. I'm not sure we really have that beyond Lucas... only Stewart really.

If Lucas leaves, our Dedicated CM's are;
    Can
    Henderson
    Grujic
    Stewart

With Milner and Wijnaldum as occasional options.

A lot of running, invention and attacking prowess in those players, but very little genuine defensive nous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

If Lucas does leave then surely we are buying a new CM/DM or klopp rates Grujic extremely highly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think it's now as clear as day that Klopp has no interest in a dedicated defensive midfielder.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yup, quite worried about that role being ignored. I'm fine with all action midfielders, but at least one of them has to be particularly defensively minded, able to spot danger and block it out. I'm not sure we really have that beyond Lucas... only Stewart really.

If Lucas leaves, our Dedicated CM's are;
    Can
    Henderson
    Grujic
    Stewart

With Milner and Wijnaldum as occasional options.

A lot of running, invention and attacking prowess in those players, but very little genuine defensive nous.

Exactly. Say we're 1-0 up against City, Chelsea etc, with 20 mins left. Our bench will have no Allen or Lucas, so realistically you're looking at an inexperienced, and thus far, often injured Stewart to come on and shore things up. That's not ideal, and that's just in a 20 min scenario.

In the bigger picture, I'm not sure how we can get away with it. Not having any European fixtures may mask it for a while, but I don't like the idea of considering only the box to box type players, such as Henderson and Can, as our midfield options. Neither of whom actually provide a lot of control over a game, either. They don't sit deep and set the tempo, constantly playing the right pass etc.

There's time for Can, but I definitely think Henderson is still better off pushed slightly forward. I'd rather Milner as a deeper midfielder than him, all things considered.

Stewart will take the Lucas role would be my guess if Lucas leaves.

Lucas leaving is still a big if now that he is injured.

Klopp see's all players as dedicated defensive players when we don't have ball.
    No need for a player will no ability other than to break it up. Our midfielders are so fit and stay the whole game, no excuse for them not to do both jobs of attack and defend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Stewart will take the Lucas role would be my guess if Lucas leaves.

Lucas leaving is still a big if now that he is injured.

Lucas got injured on purpose to keep all us fans happy :pac:

I really do hope he's stays tho he is one of my favourite players

Looks like we might recoup some of the money the previous manager blew this summer.

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/757692837769117696
    Crystal Palace are prepared to pay £30m for Christian Benteke & will return with another offer. #lfc (Dominic King)

I would've liked to have seen a new defensive midfielder signed too but it seems Klopp is satisfied with what he's got in midfield now so I wouldn't count on an arrival of such a player.

Think I said it before here but Christoph Kramer would've been a perfect signing for us had he not gone to Gladbach earlier this summer. He has everything Klopp likes in a midfielder and he's many levels above Milner and Henderson defensively. Irrelevant now of course but he's one that I've no doubt would've flourished for us.

Matip has and can play as a DM if needed

I think we could be in for a season of gonzo attacking football a la 2013/14 just without the annoying Uruguayan fella.

• Advertisement

I think we could be in for a season of gonzo attacking football a la 2013/14 just without the annoying Uruguayan fella.

Never liked Coates either to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think it's now as clear as day that Klopp has no interest in a dedicated defensive midfielder.
    Klopp see's all players as dedicated defensive players when we don't have ball.
    No need for a player will no ability other than to break it up. Our midfielders are so fit and stay the whole game, no excuse for them not to do both jobs of attack and defend.

That's all well and good in theory. But the reality is all of our guys are not just box to box midfielders - they're particularly attacking box to box midfielders. All of their strengths - all of the reasons they would cost money - are because of their attacking abilities. Driving forward with the ball. Pressing high up the field and making use of possession won in dangerous areas. None of them are box to box midfielders with a more defensive edge, able to sniff out danger and negate it before it becomes something more.

If he refuses to have a dedicated DM, that's fine, but we should at least have 1 or 2 box to box guys that are more suited to the defensive side of the game. An Essien type for instance, or a Momo Sissoko. High energy, box to box, but balanced more on the defensive side.

So, we have a bunch of guys who, as you said, we can expect to run around loads, defending. But it's just not the thing they're good at. So they'll spend half their time just wasting energy because they're not running effectively, because that's just not any of their games. Over the course of a season, that will cost us points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

That's all well and good in theory. But the reality is all of our guys are not just box to box midfielders - they're particularly attacking box to box midfielders. All of their strengths - all of the reasons they would cost money - are because of their attacking abilities. Driving forward with the ball. Pressing high up the field and making use of possession won in dangerous areas. None of them are box to box midfielders with a more defensive edge, able to sniff out danger and negate it before it becomes something more.

If he refuses to have a dedicated DM, that's fine, but we should at least have 1 or 2 box to box guys that are more suited to the defensive side of the game. An Essien type for instance, or a Momo Sissoko. High energy, box to box, but balanced more on the defensive side.

So, we have a bunch of guys who, as you said, we can expect to run around loads, defending. But it's just not the thing they're good at. So they'll spend half their time just wasting energy because they're not running effectively, because that's just not any of their games. Over the course of a season, that will cost us points.

Without a commanding midfielder this season - we don't have one in the squad - I'd have the same old worries about heading away to places even outside the Top 4 - West Ham, Palace, Soton, Chelsea etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Bender was a starter so presumed he played one at Dortmund most of the time

Cant understand why hed change that for the premier league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Kloppo needs to get some feckin contact lenses. You cant be playing football with spectacles on ffs!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Kobe248 wrote: »
    Bender was a starter so presumed he played one at Dortmund most of the time

Cant understand why hed change that for the premier league

There's a Henderson/Lallana joke in there somewhere but I'm not sure if you're allowed make those jokes anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

mosstin wrote: »
    Without a commanding midfielder this season - we don't have one in the squad - I'd have the same old worries about heading away to places even outside the Top 4 - West Ham, Palace, Soton, Chelsea etc.

I think can will be that player by the end of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

marno21 wrote: »
    There's a Henderson/Lallana joke in there somewhere but I'm not sure if you're allowed make those jokes anymore.

I think it was only under Rodgers, that 'man up' was banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Hendo indicating he's healed up from his injuries and ready to hit the ground running (from the knees).

Sky Sports -Henderson: Best I've felt

"I feel probably the best I've felt in a long time so hopefully that will continue and I'll have a good pre-season and it will get even better.

"For me personally, last season was definitely [my hardest]. It was just purely down to injuries and the type of injuries I had. They were ones I tried to play through and maybe sometimes I shouldn't have. Overall, it was a very disappointing season for me."...

...."I always say a new season is my biggest season, it's the same every year for me," he continued. "That goes for everyone really, the club, me personally, it's a massive season for everyone and I feel I need to get back and prove myself again but I look forward to doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think the club is looking but won't be held to ransom. We've been linked with Moussa Sissoko since the end of last season. Rumours were that we were offering £20M but Newcastle wanted significantly more (£35M) based upon his Euro 2016 display. We've since signed Wijnaldom but the two players are not the least bit alike in terms of playing style so it's not likely that he was signed as an alternative option.

Lucas is entering the final season of his contract and has always done a professional job when called upon. It's possible that the management don't feel the position is an immediate priority to fill this summer as Matip can also fill in in the role if needed.

It's also possible that they don't want to make too many changes to the team this summer - there's already a new keeper, defenders, and attacking midfielders. Potentially there could be as many as six new faces in a starting lineup which is too much. Signing a defensive midfield player will increase that likelihood.

The midfield players will be better drilled in what's expected of them by the start of the new season. I would think that if there are any second half collapses in games as witnessed during last season then the issue would be resolved in the January transfer market - players would be moved on and more appropriate ones signed in their place.

• Advertisement

We now have an array of attacking options. I can't see many teams stopping us from scoring this season.

It's going to be a ride and I'm looking forward to it more than any other preseason I can remember. I think we will be very fast out of the traps and if we can manage the pressure then I predict a riot.

Rumours that Klopp has sent Sakho home over concerns about his attitude around the training camp.

If true his future is definitely looking bleak for LFC

In the echo

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/doubts-over-sakhos-future-after-11663197

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Melissa Reddy stating the same on her Twitter feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Hopefully it's down to injury rather than his attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Rumours that Klopp has sent Sakho home over concerns about his attitude around the training camp.

If true his future is definitely looking bleak for LFC

In the echo

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/doubts-over-sakhos-future-after-11663197

Maybe Klopp really did want to leave Mama in Alcatraz!! :eek: :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sweet Jesus sakho get it together.

We are being linked with a young PSG centre back this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Doesn't look good for Sakho according to reports. Really frustrating this - all the palaver about the drug test dies down and now this.
    Happy to see that Klopp takes no **** though. Didn't Sakho spit the dummy out once before after being left out of the team/squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

mosstin wrote: »
    Didn't Sakho spit the dummy out once before after being left out of the team/squad?

I think he left the stadium one night after being subbed...

BR times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

In that Alcatraz video Sakho did, Klopp mentioned that Sakho was late for the flight to the states, must of continued to get worse after that but cant imagine him being sent back after 5 days of a tour without something significant happening......hopefully its a misunderstanding and he needed special treatment in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Other rumours saying he was overweight going over?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Other rumours saying he was overweight going over?

Ah now! Of all the rumours..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Fieldog wrote: »
    I think he left the stadium one night after being subbed...

BR times

He stormed out before kick off after being told he wasn't starting.

It was a Merseyside derby too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Make him captain they said!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

What a twat

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Well this complicates things. We might be back in the market for another CB if this isn't a storm in a teacup, which I hope it is.

But... But we like Sakho?

sad-kid-reaction-gif.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Lads maybe it's related to the fat burner thing, wasn't there talk of more crap coming his way with it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

He stormed out before kick off after being told he wasn't starting.

It was a Merseyside derby too.

Salif Diao did that too v Chelsea, remember as he barged past me on my way into the ground and sped off in his car before the game. First game of the season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Interesting about Sakho but it tells you lots about him. I've always said it on here that I didn't really think he was that good, and I know a good few disagreed with that, but I never thought he had an attitude problem. If he does then he absolutely has to go as Klopp will hate that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement