Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

NukaCola wrote: »
    We should have had a few goals without Sturridge also last night lets not forget.....

You'll always get chances, midfielders aren't prolific at converting them though so can't be surprised when they don't, can apply the same logic to VR, could've been 4 all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

NukaCola wrote: »
    We should have had a few goals without Sturridge also last night lets not forget.....

We played better against Dortmund away though, yeah no Origi, Can or Sakho though. Firmino's snap shot, Moreno, can't think of many more chances. Bringing on Benteke so late was odd, one thing about Firmino good form or not, he'll press and make a nuisance of himself. Maybe he was done out at the end.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Origi was a huge loss even more so than Sturridge in these type of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Danny Ings in full training with U21s, so maybe just maybe we'll see him play a few minutes before the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

K-9 wrote: »
    We played better against Dortmund away though, yeah no Origi, Can or Sakho though. Firmino's snap shot, Moreno, can't think of many more chances. Bringing on Benteke so late was odd, one thing about Firmino good form or not, he'll press and make a nuisance of himself. Maybe he was done out at the end.

Allen had a great chance after 10 mins. Milner played Lallana in at one stage but was wrongly called offside i think, didnt get to see a replay though.

Augeo wrote: »
    You'll always get chances, midfielders aren't prolific at converting them though so can't be surprised when they don't, can apply the same logic to VR, could've been 4 all.

I agree, I'm just saying that there is goals in the team, VR as many said aren't fantastic and I think we can win by 2 clear goals, but VR will punish an open team quite easily.

I'd agree with a lot of people who would have liked to see Sturridge get minutes but I absolutely understand why it wasn't done. Its a hard decision either way, had we been braver I could see us getting more out of the game, however we'd be a bit more open which would suit VR perfectly....

We are missing 3/4 first teamers and lost Coutinho at Half time.....there's a lot to consider but with the midfield and backline we had available I understand why Klopp took a defensive approach. Personally I'd have rather lost 2-1 than 1 nil. An away goal is priceless and we might regret being so defensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Dissapointed with the result but the ties not over by any means.
    As mentioned above it was a strange decision not to bring sturridge on for the last 30 mins or so to stretch their defence a bit , and as for ibe i dont think he brought anything to the team .
    I'd rather see ojo given a chance over ibe at anfield.
    As already said at least we know what we have to do so no doubts about how to approach the game .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The level of negativity here is unreal.

Having a go at Klopp etc.

Thing is Allen missed a sitter, his finishing is awful. Still not over his miss against WBA in 13/14 that arguably cost us the title!

Firmino hit the post and Moreno should have passed to Ibe.

We can still win next week, Villareal were not that good. We are more than capable of beating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

murpho999 wrote: »

Thing is Allen missed a sitter, his finishing is awful. Still not over his miss against WBA in 13/14 that arguably cost us the title!

We can still win next week, Villareal were not that good. We are more than capable of beating them.

Quite a few people, myself included, are questioning his tactics and subs - what's wrong with that? If Rodgers had done the same thing that happened last night, he'd be shredded in here.

I'm a big fan of Klopp, but I think he got it wrong last night and the result now leaves us needing to win by 2 clear goals against a side who thrive against teams who play open, attacking football.

Nobody is saying we can't win next week, just that we now have no room for error in what was already going to be a difficult game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

We're allowed to question the manager. He may be right and we may be wrong, but we're allowed. Or will we just leave blank posts because the manager is always right.

• Advertisement

I think that's harsh of Moreno. He was running full pelt concentrating on getting away from his marker Ibe was about 10-15 yards the other side not in Moreno's eyeline considering the angle he was running at . If had of seen him it would have a wonder pass imo.

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think that's harsh of Moreno. He was running full pelt concentrating on getting away from his marker Ibe was about 10-15 yards the other side not in Moreno's eyeline considering the angle he was running at . If had of seen him it would have a wonder pass imo.

The guy just said Allens miss against WBA cost us a league title, I dont think he knows the meaning of the word harsh......

Klopp's decisions last night may cost us a CL place.

I'm not being serious btw, Klopp is perfect.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Kolo

“Next week is a final and we have to give everything to try to smash this team. You can tell that they are really, really happy but I’m saving the memory of their happiness up for next week. I like that. I like to see how happy they are right now."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

If Rodgers had done the same thing that happened last night, he'd be shredded in here.

In fairness Rodgers would never have found himself in a European Semi-Final

monkey9 wrote: »
    Kolo

“Next week is a final and we have to give everything to try to smash this team. You can tell that they are really, really happy but I’m saving the memory of their happiness up for next week. I like that. I like to see how happy they are right now."

Thats some cold stuff right there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

monkey9 wrote: »
    Kolo

Wow.

I love Kolo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

The Villareal players and management team celebrating seems to be a good sore point for our lads - manager included - no harm that - can be used to full advantage to tear into them next week.

This is Liverpool, we don't do cup competitions like everyone else ... especially not in my memory. There is plenty left in this tie.

As for Klopp - he gets questioned like any other manager - i think people were a little surprised to see him not go for it like we've seen before - and then conceding a truly awful goal in last kick of the game - adds to the criticism - but hey - that's football.

Quite a few people, myself included, are questioning his tactics and subs - what's wrong with that? If Rodgers had done the same thing that happened last night, he'd be shredded in here.

I'm a big fan of Klopp, but I think he got it wrong last night and the result now leaves us needing to win by 2 clear goals against a side who thrive against teams who play open, attacking football.

Nobody is saying we can't win next week, just that we now have no room for error in what was already going to be a difficult game.

Nobody is saying that you can't debate Manager's line-ups but he didn't get it that wrong. It was almost 0-0 which people would have been happy with and Villareal scored a good goal, which is just going to happen sometimes.

Also, our defence is not that good in all honesty, so conceding a goal can happen. No need to slate the manager over it.

I'm sure he'll have a different approach next week and I think we're more than capable of beating them.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »

He should be thinking that he had a very difficult chance on and looked for options.

Players communicate as well and I'm sure Ibe was screaming for the ball. If he doesn't expect somebody to be up running alongside him, and doesn't look for it then it does not say much for his football intelligence.

I've seen Moreno do those runs loads of times now but he's only scored 3 goals.
    Time he realised he's not a great finisher and did the right thing for the team. If he had got that ball to Ibe then it was an almost certain goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

The Villareal players and management team celebrating seems to be a good sore point for our lads - manager included - no harm that - can be used to full advantage to tear into them next week.

This is Liverpool, we don't do cup competitions like everyone else ... especially not in my memory. There is plenty left in this tie.

As for Klopp - he gets questioned like any other manager - i think people were a little surprised to see him not go for it like we've seen before - and then conceding a truly awful goal in last kick of the game - adds to the criticism - but hey - that's football.

Klopp isn't infallible. He picked Firminho over Sturridge because Firminho presses much harder and he felt we needed that level of intensity. He'll learn from it and be a better manager because of it.

Next week will be a different story. Lucas or Allen will probably be benched with Sturridge starting and Benteke in reserve if we need to throw the kitchen sink at them with 25 minutes to go.

Really looking forward to the match. Should be a cracker from the off.

Nobody is saying that you can't debate Manager's line-ups but he didn't get it that wrong. It was almost 0-0 which people would have been happy with and Villareal scored a good goal, which is just going to happen sometimes.

Also, our defence is not that good in all honesty, so conceding a goal can happen. No need to slate the manager over it.

I'm sure he'll have a different approach next week and I think we're more than capable of beating them.

I have to say, I wouldn't have been too happy with nil nil. Going into injury time, I was quite annoyed actually. Lack of an away goal is obviously a big worry.

Something for everyone with an opinion on the Sakho situation - http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/apr/29/liverpool-europa-league-mamadou-sakho

Meh, Moreno relied on his pace which is his strength, finishing wouldn't be. Neither is it Ibe's either. Sturridge or even Benteke, yeah, I'd see your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Something for everyone with an opinion on the Sakho situation - http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/apr/29/liverpool-europa-league-mamadou-sakho

so does that just apply to knock out competitions? Should we be out of the Premier League too? I think it's a little too black and white for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

An absolute mind boggling display from klopp last night
    I understand not starting sturridge
    But he should have been on at half time with firmino replacing coutinho
    Then to not take sturridge on at all!!!!
    People saying he was so close to a great result
    0-0 is not a great result, you need to score
    And also villareal are no world beaters

Banning the club because of one player is harsh, some lad doing cocaine on a Friday night.

I think the problem is you can have 2 players positive and not get a team ban. Did Wenger bring up that point earlier in the season? Even with 2, 2 lads on cocaine? But they have to draw the line somewhere. I'd say more than 1 lad on fat burners, yeah the club has to face up to it as not just 1 player was "mistaken".

so does that just apply to knock out competitions? Should we be out of the Premier League too? I think it's a little too black and white for my liking.
    I think it's just UEFA competitions. I'm sure the PL have their own rules. Would be interested to see what PL rule Sakho has broken.

Moreno being criticised for not scoring or passing when receiving 1 on 1 attention from a VR player after winning the ball and sprinting over half length of pitch and than folks being ratty about people questioning Klopps tactics.... blinkers chaps.

VR good on the counter attack, our tactic to deal with that was to be defensive and play a false 9 who is out of form as a lone striker.

That didn't work with Coutinho on the pitch so Ibe comes on to replace an ill Coutinho.

But it's Moreno s fault, clearly.

Banning the club because of one player is harsh, some lad doing cocaine on a Friday night.

I think the problem is you can have 2 players positive and not get a team ban. Did Wenger bring up that point earlier in the season? Even with 2, 2 lads on cocaine? But they have to draw the line somewhere. I'd say more than 1 lad on fat burners, yeah the club has to face up to it as not just 1 player was "mistaken".
    ;)

• Advertisement

FIFA would be yer man for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

FIFA & UEFA two of the most corrupt organizations in the world and are in no way interested in finding out more about drugs in football and sorting out the drug issue in football.

Sakho will get a slap on the wrist and warned about his future conduct.

The FA are no better when you see the rulings they make over different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

FIFA & UEFA two of the most corrupt organizations in the world and are in no way interested in finding out more about drugs in football and sorting out the drug issue in football.

Sakho will get a slap on the wrist and warned about his future conduct.

The FA are no better when you see the rulings they make over different things.

As enchanting and romantic as Leicester storming to the title this season is, I think that if this was any other sport than football, serious questions would be asked. I think that there's a lot of doping going on in football and IF Leicester are doing it - and are better at it - fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

mosstin wrote: »
    As enchanting and romantic as Leicester storming to the title this season is, I think that if this was any other sport than football, serious questions would be asked. I think that there's a lot of doping going on in football and IF Leicester are doing it - and are better at it - fair play.

wow-that-escalated-quickly.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I was not impressed by Villareal at all and find them to be a very ordinary side. Denis Suarez is handy and their captain is a good DM... Outside of that? Put them in the premiership and they would be finishing in the bottom half of the table.

We had better chances on the night and that was playing very defensively without a real striker on the pitch. Quite convinced that Sturridge, or even Benteke, would have scored had they had a chance to get minutes. Agree that bringing on Ibe was the wrong move - surely it had to be a striker?

I can only assume that Sturridge was in one of those negative mindsets of his and Klopp knew he wasn't right/ up for it.

Very dissapointed anyway but have full faith that if we attack them in Anfield we will beat them. Kolo's gonna rub their ****ing faced in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I was not impressed by Villareal at all and find them to be a very ordinary side. Denis Suarez is handy and their captain is a good DM... Outside of that? Put them in the premiership and they would be finishing in the bottom half of the table.

We had better chances on the night and that was playing very defensively without a real striker on the pitch. Quite convinced that Sturridge, or even Benteke, would have scored had they had a chance to get minutes. Agree that bringing on Ibe was the wrong move - surely it had to be a striker?

I can only assume that Sturridge was in one of those negative mindsets of his and Klopp knew he wasn't right/ up for it.

Very dissapointed anyway but have full faith that if we attack them in Anfield we will beat them. Kolo's gonna rub their ****ing faced in it.

Ya see I can never get this attitude criticism of Sturridge. When he plays he scores, his world class goals to minutes ratio proves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

will Coutinho play Sunday lads?

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya see I can never get this attitude criticism of Sturridge. When he plays he scores, his world class goals to minutes ratio proves it.

Ya, when he plays. It's well documented that Sturridge has a history of ruling himself out of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Two lads in work looking for tickets for the Villarreal match and a one night stay in Liverpool.

Anyone recommend the best (cheapest) place to book through?

I wish Kolo Toure was 7-8 years younger. He was brillant last night & i would give me another 1 year deal. Its mentioned alot that he is a character around the place but he is still a very good CB as well.

• Advertisement

Two lads in work looking for tickets for the Villarreal match and a one night stay in Liverpool.

Anyone recommend the best (cheapest) place to book through?

I'd imagine they are golddust? Second leg of a European Semi Final in Anfield!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Me thinks Klopp has an issue with Sturridge and wouldn't be surprised to see him gone in the summer
    Or maybe he/the club have decided that Sturridge isn't physically able to handle more than 80 minutes football a week yet/ever.

It would have been nice to see Sturridge last night but, we are so anxious to play him so soon after coming back from injury, it may just be helping to cause his injury woes.

There may well be a problem between both Sturridge and Klopp but we have no murmurings of discontent from either side leaked as yet so it probably isn't the reason for him being left out last night.

I felt we handled them well and disrupted their passing lanes superbly last night. We had more chances away from home that they did so I am reasonably confident we can win this next week.

It was a brilliant ball in behind Kolo, tbf, he would't have the pace or turning ability he had in his prime. A draw would have been a fair result but it's only half time yet.

Not bringing on Sturridge was a mistake. Klopp said as much when he said he was surprised Villarreal's performance as they are a better team than they showed last night but they are in poor form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Nalz wrote: »

I'd expect a completely different XI against Swansea, much like Bournemouth they are just waiting for the season to end so it's a grand game to give the younger lads a game, klopp already confirmed ward will play again which I am delighted to hear.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Ya, when he plays. It's well documented that Sturridge has a history of ruling himself out of games.

Yeah, when he reckons he isn't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Nalz wrote: »
    Add your reply here.

No but might play saturday when liverpool are playing swansea

Augeo wrote: »
    Yeah, when he reckons he isn't fit.

Yes, which could be at any time, as I have suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Add your reply here.

No but might play saturday when liverpool are playing swansea

Thanks cool dude! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

But is that fair on other teams?

It would be different if Sakho was sitting on the bench or even a less influential player. But he has been outstanding over the last few months. His work rate has been phenomenal and has certainly made the difference in preventing conceding a goal in a few games. Who's to say if Liverpool would be at this point in the Europa League had he not been there. They wouldn't have had the goal he scored against Dortmund, for a start.

So other (clean) teams have lost out due to him (allegedly) cheating. Comparing it to another player taking cocaine is not like for like. Assuming he is found guilty then he intentionally used performance enhancing drugs that benefited him and the club. This line from the Guardian article sums it up :

including scoring a vital late drug-assisted equaliser against Borussia Dortmund. At the end of which Liverpool – who have acted commendably throughout all this – still have a decent chance of drug‑assisted silverware, and beyond that a drug‑assisted place in next season’s Champions League.

Note: This post will no doubt have some childish reply from TurtyTurd and possibly others. I'm posting it to continue the debate. Anyone who wants to reply without that intention then please don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Ibe was desperately poor last night, looked short of confidence which you can't really criticise, but he showed little appetite for effort either which is very disappointing.

Great to see Joe Allen's continued form.

Lallana was his usual self, just don't get him at all.

Coutinho has to get an extra year now, with Sakho ban.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement