Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Damien360 wrote: »
    It will be until sky customers reach a price point that becomes unacceptable and switch off. Once that happens the arse will fall out of the market. It makes no sense why a top player can be picked up for a Italian or French or German club for €30m but the average player are the same price in the UK.

But if you know how to play the system with Sky you will never pay the full price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'm going to stick with reddit/soccer streams.

It was well worth it last season.

If it is just for Liverpool games just do a search in Red and White Kop forum for the game, you will not be disappointed as they have a whole thread for games

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Kolarov would be a good signing if he he leaving City for peanuts. Moreno might learn something from him.

Kolarov is even worse defensively than moreno. Going forward he is great probably the best attacking full back in the league but he doesn't burst a gut to get back and is poor when he is back in position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Seaba wrote: »
    Delighted we have a manager with such common sense.

http://www.football365.com/news/klopp-do-you-really-think-i-would-sell-sakho

Good to read, but disappointed too that a good journo like Pearce would start speculating about his future when anyone with a bit of sense Klopp like's Mama and isn't going to sell him because he was late 3 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I'd be interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the upcoming season.

What would be a successful season?
    Do you expect a trophy?
    Is top 4 realistic?
    Will no European games be a blessing or a void?

Successful season for me is approx 70 points in the league and a cup run. Seeing as Klopp got 60 points last season I would expect Klopp to iron out some of the issues that cost us, especially with less games, and I dont think adding 10 points to that tally would be a totally unreasonable task. Difficult but possible.

I dont expect a trophy but would like to get to the business end of the cup competitions, quarter/semi/final.

CL qualification through top 4 is arguably the most competitive it ever has been. 70 points is usually a good number to get in and around top 4 so I would think its possible for us, not easy though.

I'd rather be in the Europa League, however the short term benefits of less games, more time to prepare etc should or could help us next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Kolarov is even worse defensively than moreno. Going forward he is great probably the best attacking full back in the league but he doesn't burst a gut to get back and is poor when he is back in position.

Let's not carried away, Moreno has proved time after time time that he is brainless. He's quick... that's it. He's got about two goals and two assists over two seasons at Liverpool. I'd rather have kolarov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

corwill wrote: »
    If it keeps him out of the centre of midfield...
    Yeh, the b*stard creating all those goals from right midfield... :ermm:

I don't think we would use him regularly at LB, we would more likely use Klavan as a narrow LB (maybe as a 3) or Gomez once fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

NukaCola wrote: »
    I'd be interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the upcoming season.

What would be a successful season?
    Do you expect a trophy?
    Is top 4 realistic?
    Will no European games be a blessing or a void?

Successful season for me is approx 70 points in the league and a cup run. Seeing as Klopp got 60 points last season I would expect Klopp to iron out some of the issues that cost us, especially with less games, and I dont think adding 10 points to that tally would be a totally unreasonable task. Difficult but possible.

I dont expect a trophy but would like to get to the business end of the cup competitions, quarter/semi/final.

CL qualification through top 4 is arguably the most competitive it ever has been. 70 points is usually a good number to get in and around top 4 so I would think its possible for us, not easy though.

I'd rather be in the Europa League, however the short term benefits of less games, more time to prepare etc should or could help us next season.

I think top 4 is realistic - title challenge, less likely but id take it if it did happen.
    With Klopp at the helm and getting the players to his standard pre season, he will be expecting us to hit the ground running as opposed to him taking over an aimless team mid season.
    We have the quality to get into the top 4. Its not going to be any harder or easier than previous season but I do believe he will get us further up the table.
    I'm happy with the players that have been brought in and if as the OP linked, we have to have Milner as cover for Moreno, so be it. I am positive for this season.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Let's not carried away, Moreno has proved time after time time that he is brainless. He's quick... that's it. He's got about two goals and two assists over two seasons at Liverpool. I'd rather have kolarov.

I never said anything about moreno going forward i was talking about kolarov being the best attacking fb in the league. Kolarov is great going forward but he is an absolute liability defensively and half the time can't even be bothered to track back. He is also pushing on in years I'd have no interest in signing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Dickerty wrote: »
    Yeh, the b*stard creating all those goals from right midfield... :ermm:

*******CENTRE =/= RIGHT*******

Jaysis, this place, sometimes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Some bang that Grujic got :

6VcojYF.jpg

I'd be interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the upcoming season............

Successful season for me is approx 70 points in the league and a cup run........

I'd be in that boat too, 70 points target, ideally closer to 2ppg than 70 points but 70 would be the target.

If Sturridge plays 30+ PL games he could shoot us to a title challenge, if he misses half the games we still shouldn't be too toothless with Firmino, Ings, Origi & Mane.

Improvement at the back should be seen, if we don't see improvements at the back I'd be dissapointed.

No European football is a huge advantage for next season, it might hamper us the following year due to the extra games that the squad won't have had for the season just gone but we need to capitalise on not having them next season.

In saying that if we see another 6th/8th finish such is life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Seaba wrote: »
    Delighted we have a manager with such common sense.

http://www.football365.com/news/klopp-do-you-really-think-i-would-sell-sakho

If someone at the club stopped being a nice guy with that dickhead Pearce over this I wouldn't be unhappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I never said anything about moreno going forward i was talking about kolarov being the best attacking fb in the league. Kolarov is great going forward but he is an absolute liability defensively and half the time can't even be bothered to track back. He is also pushing on in years I'd have no interest in signing him.
    Defensively, Kolarov is stronger than Moreno. He's over six feet tall so he doesn't get targeted to be dominated in the air. He commits fewer fouls which is a major positive - Moreno is the far more likely to dive into a two footed challenge. He doesn't make that many tackles but he is more likely to put his body on the line to block a cross or shot on goal.

As an attacking outlet Moreno is the quicker player, but Kolarov passes the ball better and scores more goals.

Given a choice between the two players, Kolarov is the better short term option.

Talisman wrote: »
    Defensively, Kolarov is stronger than Moreno. He's over six feet tall so he doesn't get targeted to be dominated in the air. He commits fewer fouls which is a major positive - Moreno is the far more likely to dive into a two footed challenge. He doesn't make that many tackles but he is more likely to put his body on the line to block a cross or shot on goal.

As an attacking outlet Moreno is the quicker player, but Kolarov passes the ball better and scores more goals.

Given a choice between the two players, Kolarov is the better short term option.

I'd have a totally different opinion of kolorav defensively. I'd also think when the going gets tough he doesn't want to know . Moreno needs to be upgraded no question but I wouldn't be happy if kolorav was the answer.

• Advertisement

....Moreno needs to be upgraded no question but I wouldn't be happy if kolorav was the answer.

The silver lining is that if all we have to worry about as the season goes on is Moreno than we'll quite likely be having a great season :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Joao mario of sporting lisbon linked again with the club. His agent said we bid for him and it was rejected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lol.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/758967021107195905
    As reported by @DiMarzio, Ajax is starting contacts for Mario Balotelli. Possible if Ajax will be in Champions League

I think Mario can be forgotten about really, at this stage it's more concerning that Benteke is still about. Both for him and LFC it would be nice to see him sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'd have a totally different opinion of kolorav defensively. I'd also think when the going gets tough he doesn't want to know . Moreno needs to be upgraded no question but I wouldn't be happy if kolorav was the answer.
    If Kolarov is the answer, we may need to change the question!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Augeo wrote: »
    I think Mario can be forgotten about really, at this stage it's more concerning that Benteke is still about. Both for him and LFC it would be nice to see him sorted.

Unless someone else is coming in I would consider keeping him, If Sturridge gets injured again then we are left with ings and origi as the only definite strikers, both of whom have as much to prove as benteke imo. I know people will say he doesn't fit klopps plan, but we are still stronger with him than letting him go without bringing in someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Unless someone else is coming in I would consider keeping him, If Sturridge gets injured again then we are left with ings and origi as the only definite strikers, both of whom have as much to prove as benteke imo. I know people will say he doesn't fit klopps plan, but we are still stronger with him than letting him go without bringing in someone else.

I presume this is a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I still would not say no to Kolarov, for the right price, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Well, the UTD thread is having a right old laugh at our xfer policy under Klopp.... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Vicxas wrote: »
    Well, the UTD thread is having a right old laugh at our xfer policy under Klopp.... :rolleyes:

Release pogba for free, but him back for 100m......

Not to bothered what they think to be honest.

There is a lot of truth in what Klopp says. How many clubs can complete with China when they start offering crazy money to top players in their 20's?
    I like the way Klopp goes about his business. He is buying the type of players he feels he needs, the don't have to be marquee signings, they need to be able to do the job he wants them to do. We are probably only 2 or 3 players short at the minute of having a fine squad, with another few to be let go aswell.
    He has the squad going in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sensitive souls over there. Don't think Klopp was even having a go at United to be honest. More saying how he prefers to build a team. Liverpool (and Dortmund when he was there) just cant afford to go out and spend their entire transfer budget for a year (or longer) on just one player. Let alone the wage also involved.

sword1 wrote: »
    I presume this is a joke

Nope. Lose Sturridge to injury and I would question where our goals are gonna come from, would rather have him as an option than not at that stage.

In their second season at the club, Rafa Benitez's team won 82 points (+24), Brendan Rodger's team won 84 points (+23). This is Klopp's first summer transfer window at the club so it would be unfair to judge the forthcoming season against those of former managers but the marker is there.

70 points in the league would be very good, but I don't think it will be enough for a top 4 finish. 73-75 points will be required.

My measure of success for the team will be to see an marked improvement on the pitch. The team needs to consistently play the game for the full 90 minutes. It doesn't sound like much but it's a big deal, we have an inability to hold on to a lead or get something from a game where our opponent takes the lead - Klopp has got to fix that this season.

In 2015/16 we won 8 points from 13 games where we conceded the first goal. By comparison Tottenham got 19 points from 13 games in the same situation.

In 2015/16 we dropped 19 points in league games where we scored first : 8 draws, 1 loss. By comparison, Man City and Man Utd dropped 9 points, Leicester and Arsenal dropped 12.

Once it's put right, we will have a platform to challenge for the top 4 and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Turtyturd wrote: »
    If someone at the club stopped being a nice guy with that dickhead Pearce over this I wouldn't be unhappy.

Are you wishing someone at the club to stop being a nice guy to Pierce :D

• Advertisement

Successfull season for me is fairly simple: top 4 finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Successfull season for me is fairly simple: top 4 finish.

With no European football and Leicesters (seemingly) fall from grace its imperative.

Chelsea will also be back in the fold and if Spurs can keep Kane and Deli Ali fired up it could be a year long slog.

Only for a micro-second. He is toxic.

Sturridge, Ings, Origi, Firmino and Mane if required should be more than enough options for the lone forward role.

Seems we have a lot of toxic players at the club I don't know what Benteke did to be called that to be honest.

Not gone on these point totals as a measure of a successful season, Top 4 is the minimum requirement for me this year anything else and I would consider it a disappointing season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Seems we have a lot of toxic players at the club I don't know what Benteke did to be called that to be honest.

Mario, I'd put in that category. I'd be happier to see Benteke on his way as best for both the player and the club, but 'toxic' is a bit much.

Yeah, its unfair. He came to the club in good faith and has given it his all. The fact is that he doesnt suit our style of play but thats not his fault. Feel a little sorry for him to be honest (if you can feel sorry for a rich pro footballer).

Nonetheless, would like him to be sold for the figures quoted and have that reinvested in a more suitable player.

Talisman wrote: »
    Only for a micro-second. He is toxic.

Sturridge, Ings, Origi, Firmino and Mane if required should be more than enough options for the lone forward role.

Toxic? Very harsh, He struggled for form, Firmino and Mane are not really strikers, Ings And Origi have done very little at the club so far either, I'm just saying if no one else is coming in why not keep him.

corwill wrote: »
    Mario, I'd put in that category. I'd be happier to see Benteke on his way as best for both the player and the club, but 'toxic' is a bit much.

Terms like "Toxic" and "Stealing a Living" are a total joke.

The previous manager bought a lot of wrong players but that's not the players fault.

If they are not in the Klopp's plans that doesn't mean they are toxic or stealing a living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

3rd kit for next season :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:Cog8lSDVMAAeTQu.jpg:medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

United and City can spend all the money they want, they can't change and never will change the fact that it will be 11 v 11 when we play them. I expect this season will continue the trends of last season, mid table teams taking lots of points off of top 5 teams.
    Fact is with Klopp around I'm convinced our 11 will be the most committed 11 in league in terms of effort and willingness if not talent.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Yeah, its unfair. He came to the club in good faith and has given it his all. The fact is that he doesnt suit our style of play but thats not his fault. Feel a little sorry for him to be honest (if you can feel sorry for a rich pro footballer).

Nonetheless, would like him to be sold for the figures quoted and have that reinvested in a more suitable player.

Yes, but should it not be reinvested, what then? I say keep him and let himself, Ings and Origi fight it out at least until January just to see how they stack up when all fit.

gafferino wrote: »

I kinda like definitely not the worst kit I've seen

gafferino wrote: »

We'll blind the opposition into submission!

Looks like a training top...

• Advertisement

Yes, but should it not be reinvested, what then? I say keep him and let himself, Ings and Origi fight it out at least until January just to see how they stack up when all fit.

But we know he doesnt fit. Round peg, square hole. If we can get a good price (£30M) sell, sell, sell.

Rotten kit. Maybe Dortmund influenced it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

The name of the colour used is "Toxic Green", they must be reading this thread

Well, they are spending big and brought in a top manager so they have found their voice again. I haven't been in there but I presume Klopp is probably a terrible manager now and cant attract top names. I'd bet the "I'd rather have one great player than 4 ****e players" has been used or other such nonsense (this was also the opinion when Van Gall tbrought in DiMaria and paying stupid wages to Falcoa). I would also bet "moneyball" has been quoted a few times. The way Klopp builds his teams will be lost entirely on them and disregarded as rubbish probably.

Football fans are fickle in general, I'm sure they are delighted now that Mourinho is "making a statement" while at the same time probably having the opinion of Man City's success is down to buying the league.....its how we spin things as fans to justify something.

Personally if we left a player go for pretty much nothing and bought him back for 95M while also paying an agent 20M I wouldn't be too happy. Pogba is quality but that money is stupid. They can try and justify it anyway they want, its stupid IMO. I'd bet a good few Utd supporter would agree that they are being rode on the deal. I wouldn't be laughing at their transfer policy because they brought in top talent but 100M on Pogba is not something I would be proud of personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Jersey is like a highlight marker.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement