Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

J Mysterio wrote: »
    But we know he doesnt fit. Round peg, square hole. If we can get a good price (£30M) sell, sell, sell.

Id be surprised if Klopp see's players as round pegs he can do nothing with, he probably see's it as an opportunity to get his hammer and chisel out and do some work. Did he not try and sign him at Dortmund.

My point is if it's him or nobody I'd keep him, We won't lose much on him between now and Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Toxic? Very harsh, He struggled for form, Firmino and Mane are not really strikers, Ings And Origi have done very little at the club so far either, I'm just saying if no one else is coming in why not keep him.
    My bad - I misread the post and thought you were considering keeping Balotelli as an option.

Benteke doesn't suit our style of play and should move on for the good of his own career. I don't buy the "it's not his fault" argument, unless Sturridge was fit Rodgers wasn't going to play two up front. Benteke himself already knew he couldn't play up front as a lone forward. He chose the big pay packet on offer at Liverpool in spite of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

There is no doubt that some of our potential rivals have been making impressive waves in the transfer market. there is no doubt about that, and there's no point pretending it's not impressive.

if we were signing Pogba after signing Mkhtaryan, we'd be unbearably smug.

the fact of the matter is though, that there are plenty of ways to skin a cat.

in Klopp, the club have put their trust in someone, based on his track record with Dortmund, that can compete and win even if he's not the biggest dog in the yard. that is our gameplan right now.

if the time is right, he's also not scared to spend relatively big if needed.

let the Utd fans have their day. they're entitled to it. it's a fantastic coup, regardless of the shíte about spending £100m that they didn't need to if they just kept him. that's meaningless.

what matters is what happens during the season. Mourinho still has to get that team to gel. Klopp still has to get this team to gel. Pep has to get City's working. Conte, Chelsea's.

that will be the real time for fans to gloat and pick holes in each other's philosophies. there's no point in trying to argue now, as there's nothing concrete on the pitch to base anything on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Toxic? Very harsh, He struggled for form, Firmino and Mane are not really strikers, Ings And Origi have done very little at the club so far either, I'm just saying if no one else is coming in why not keep him.

I'd have Sturridge, Ings, Origi and Firmino before Benteke and even then I'd give Mané a try before him. I like Benteke, but dont think we can get the best out of him and he cant adapt to what is needed for us. He scores but doesn't contribute to overall play enough, its a harsh assessment but a fair one IMO. We have plenty of cover, I wouldn't be against holding on to him however if a 25M+ bid comes in and I'd be happy to sell.

Just on the Pogba deal, its also another nail in the "You need CL for the best players/They prefer London" excuse. If you have the money you can sign just about anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

NukaCola wrote: »
    Just on the Pogba deal, its also another nail in the "You need CL for the best players/They prefer London" excuse. If you have the money you can sign just about anyone.

China and Qatar like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Having a manager with a reputation for winning trophies also helps. Man Utd also had the money when Moyes was their manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Pogba is currently on about 70k a week at Juventus. He will earn 290k a week at Man Utd. No wonder he is joining Man Utd. Not even Real,Barca or PSG can match that much. Also Serie A players have tended to struggle in the PL in the last few years but Pogba is a fantastic player no doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Talisman wrote: »
    My bad - I misread the post and thought you were considering keeping Balotelli as an option.

Benteke doesn't suit our style of play and should move on for the good of his own career. I don't buy the "it's not his fault" argument, unless Sturridge was fit Rodgers wasn't going to play two up front. Benteke himself already knew he couldn't play up front as a lone forward. He chose the big pay packet on offer at Liverpool in spite of this.

God no Balotelli can be turned into glue for all I care.

It seems I'm fighting a losing battle on benteke the general consensus on here being take the money while we can.

I just feel he as all the attributes to be the type of player we need, he's not beyond learning as he isn't completely without pace.

Anyway just going on record that should we still have him on September 1st I will be a small bit happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nobody ever made that argument.

Obviously if you throw enough money at people you can have anyone you want.

Otherwise City and Chelsea wouldn't be where they are.

Our problem is that that's irrelevant to us, because we don't have that kind of money.

Utd are going to spend more in wages and a transfer fee on Pogba than we will on everyone we've signed put together.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »

Ah it was said on here a good few times when we missed out on targets. They prefered London, or they went to a CL team......I dont have time to go back and go through the threads but I read it a lot when we missed targets.

Just to make the point that money isnt everything and not everyone can be bought.

Ah it was said on here a good few times when we missed out on targets. They prefered London, or they went to a CL team......I dont have time to go back and go through the threads but I read it a lot when we missed targets.

I think they are both valid arguments too and would play a part in anyones decisionmaking.

I think they are both valid arguments too and would play a part in anyones decisionmaking.

I'm not saying they aren't just that the right offer can persuade anyone (almost)

I'm not saying they aren't just that the right offer can persuade anyone (almost)

I agree that money will persuade most. Its something ive never understood really as if youre making £80k a week, you are filthy rich, why do you need to compromise your loyalty/ lifestyle/ family/ etc. for £150k. Anyway...

Vicxas wrote: »
    Well, the UTD thread is having a right old laugh at our xfer policy under Klopp.... :rolleyes:

Same people probably saying Chelsea and City were buying the leagues :)

The last people to laugh at the past few years transfer policy of any club should be Utd. Van Gaal spent quarter of a billion.

Remains to by seen if Klopp policy is good or bad after 0 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

gafferino wrote: »
    3rd kit for next season :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:Cog8lSDVMAAeTQu.jpg:medium

Its actual not bad in the flesh, the quote on the bottom is a bit cringe tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

New 3rd kit already in the hangers in Liffey Valley. Looks as bad IRL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

We really shouldn't have a need for a third kit this season. It's ridiculous. Last season's away jersey, the white one, was lovely and could still be used if there's any sort of clash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I agree that money will persuade most. Its something ive never understood really as if youre making 80k a week, you are filthy rich, why do you need to compromise your loyalty/ lifestyle/ family/ etc. for 150k. Anyway...
    It feeds their ego.

8-10 wrote: »
    We really shouldn't have a need for a third kit this season. It's ridiculous. Last season's away jersey, the white one, was lovely and could still be used if there's any sort of clash.

We'll probably wear it in 3 or 4 matches if even that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Vicxas wrote: »
    Its actual not bad in the flesh, the quote on the bottom is a bit cringe tho...

Mike Ashley will give it to us for a tenner in about 9 months time, I'lll need something for painting about then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Our problem is that that's irrelevant to us, because we don't have that kind of money.

That's not really the case, though. We're just choosing not to spend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Terms like "Toxic" and "Stealing a Living" are a total joke.

The previous manager bought a lot of wrong players but that's not the players fault.

If they are not in the Klopp's plans that doesn't mean they are toxic or stealing a living.

So you think someone like Mario Balotelli has "earned" his millions from us fair and square?? Come on, pull the other one.... :rolleyes:

Otherwise City and Chelsea wouldn't be where they are.

Utd are going to spend more in wages and a transfer fee on Pogba than we will on everyone we've signed put together.

Well let's clarify. There is a large selection of mercenaries you can choose from by just throwing money at them, not quite anyone. Remember city had to start off by signing the likes of Roque Santa Cruz, Neymar etc first before they could sign Aguero, SIlva, Toure etc. There are many other factors such as geography, the team's manager etc.

• Advertisement

I agree that money will persuade most. Its something ive never understood really as if youre making £80k a week, you are filthy rich, why do you need to compromise your loyalty/ lifestyle/ family/ etc. for £150k. Anyway...

Well, if you were a pro player when you retire at 33/34 with your whole life ahead of you would you prefer to have 1 million in the bank or 10 million? 10 million or 100 million? It is really quite simple to understand. It's basic Maths.
    Where do you draw the line? You said 80k a week is filthy rich. Why stop at 80k so is 70k, so is 60k, 50k etc...When you have money you want more money, when you don't have money you want more money. People (in general, not all) have an unquenchable thirst for money. Tis part of the reason it is considered the root of all evil.

I suppose in a sense, to us being filthy rich is like being pregnant, we can understand the concept but we will never REALLY understand what it's like! :o

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Same people probably saying Chelsea and City were buying the leagues :)

The last people to laugh at the past few years transfer policy of any club should be Utd. Van Gaal spent quarter of a billion.

Remains to by seen if Klopp policy is good or bad after 0 games

Mourinho is in line to spend that in 1 transfer window! :eek:

mormank wrote: »
    Mourinho is in line to spend that in 1 transfer window! :eek:

True but you can't judge his transfers policy yet.

Same as you can't judge Klopps.

Anyone that does can be discounted.

There are many pull factors in buying footballers, but you can override them all in the vast majority of cases if you throw enough money at them.

That doesn't mean it's a viable strategy for a club like us - not least because we can be easily outbid even if we do meet the ultimate demands of the selling club and player.
    Well let's clarify. There is a large selection of mercenaries you can choose from by just throwing money at them, not quite anyone. Remember city had to start off by signing the likes of Roque Santa Cruz, Neymar etc first before they could sign Aguero, SIlva, Toure etc. There are many other factors such as geography, the team's manager etc.

Those weren't the best they could buy. They were just a cost-effective mid-point.
    corwill wrote: »

What money aren't we spending?

Do you think we have the kind of money to be spending 150m+ net every year?
    Or ever for that matter?

Utd not only have nearly double our profit, but they also have a more valuable squad and a larger wage bill, so they can generate more money from selling players and reducing the wage bill than we can.

We're not going to be matching them any time soon in that department and that's down to econmics and not a lack of ambition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

corwill wrote: »

62million out 46 million in ,not sure how much of the in club get after commission etc .With a major expenditure on the stadium the owners are not taking a profit. Hopefully get 30 million for benteke but longterm for the club it might be as well if it was used to keep the borrowing for the stadium down like arsenal did .

There are many pull factors in buying footballers, but you can override them all in the vast majority of cases if you throw enough money at them.

That doesn't mean it's a viable strategy for a club like us - not least because we can be easily outbid even if we do meet the ultimate demands of the selling club and player.

We could outbid a lot of teams I'd imagine but our owners want us to be self sufficient which is fair enough.

Or instead of paying 40 odd million + 160k a week on Mario and Markovic, 2 players who weren't really used much since their signing we could have used it for a target the manager actually wanted. Our transfer policy means we wont throw money at big names rather than our actually ability to do it. Its not a strategy we can do every single time but once per season it could be done I'd imagine.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    True but you can't judge his transfers policy yet.

Same as you can't judge Klopps.

Anyone that does can be discounted.

I would never under estimate Mourinho! Even Zlatan has won the league in first season at his last 5 clubs isn't it? they will be very strong this season imo.

Those weren't the best they could buy. They were just a cost-effective mid-point.

What money aren't we spending?

Do you think we have the kind of money to be spending 150m+ net every year?
    Or ever for that matter?

Utd not only have nearly double our profit, but they also have a more valuable squad and a larger wage bill, so they can generate more money from selling players and reducing the wage bill than we can.

We're not going to be matching them any time soon in that department and that's down to econmics and not a lack of ambition.

I have to disagree with your reply to my post. They were the best players they could get at the time and they were all way over priced at the time, nothing cost effective about that wave of players at all. Remember Elano, Petrov? There was loads of them and they would not have been signed if better could have been aquired. No one signs Roque Santa Cruz when they could buy Ronaldo. They even signed Neymar just to increase the profile of player possible to sign in future windows imo. No team has gone from Shaun Goater to Aguero in 1 window with Billionairre owners. It takes a few windows as has been shown time and again.

We could outbid a lot of teams I'd imagine but our owners want us to be self sufficient which is fair enough.

Or instead of paying 40 odd million + 160k a week on Mario and Markovic, 2 players who weren't really used much since their signing we could have used it for a target the manager actually wanted. Our transfer policy means we wont throw money at big names rather than our actually ability to do it. Its not a strategy we can do every single time but once per season it could be done I'd imagine.

Who is that player?

Any time this issue comes up nobody has ever told me a realistic target that we could get for the money we're spending on 2 or 3 players.

Yes, we could theoreticall spend £40m and 220k/w on a player.
    Just like I could theoretically buy a 2nd hand porsche.
    Doesn't mean it would be a sane financial decision.
    I have to disagree with your reply to my post. They were the best players they could get at the time and they were all way over priced at the time, nothing cost effective about that wave of players at all. Remember Elano, Petrov? There was loads of them and they would not have been signed if better could have been aquired. No one signs Roque Santa Cruz when they could buy Ronaldo. They even signed Neymar just to increase the profile of player possible to sign in future windows imo. No team has gone from Shaun Goater to Aguero in 1 window with Billionairre owners. It takes a few windows as has been shown time and again.

None have tried because even billionaires have limits to their financial clout.
    That doesn't mean it's not possible.

Also, City weren't the same beast under Shinawatra.

City were still pretty much nobodies when they signed Aguero, Toure, Silva and co.

I would never under estimate Mourinho! Even Zlatan has won the league in first season at his last 5 clubs isn't it? they will be very strong this season imo.

His last 6 clubs. 13 titles in the last 15 years. The 2 years he didn't win a title, his team were 2nd in the league. Not bad.

Who is that player?

Any time this issue comes up nobody has ever told me a realistic target that we could get for the money we're spending on 2 or 3 players.

Yes, we could theoreticall spend £40m and 220k/w on a player.
    Just like I could theoretically buy a 2nd hand porsche.
    Doesn't mean it would be a sane financial decision.

Sanchez when we missed out on him, i know we apparently offered more but not enough to make a difference.

It would be a sane financial decision because we were using Suarez money and we would go on to spend high on mediocre players.

I'm not advocating spending big on big names for the sake of it and getting into debt, I'm just saying if we want our targets sometimes we'll have to overpay when in competition with other teams, and I think we can do it from time to time. Sanchez would have been as close as a replacement for Suarez as we could have gotten, we should have thrown money at him to join, and we had the money, we chose not too.......which is fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ejaria to be called up by nigeria. He make his international debut before he even makes his senior league debut

His last 6 clubs. 13 titles in the last 15 years. The 2 years he didn't win a title, his team were 2nd in the league. Not bad.

13 titles in 30 seasons? Some record.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

ricero wrote: »
    Ejaria to be called up by nigeria. He make his international debut before he even makes his senior league debut

So well deserved, looks like one of our brightest prospects based on pre-season so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

ricero wrote: »

They tried that with Ibe too but he rejected it, looking to cap tie him I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

The 3rd kit makes me want to have a loop the loop so I'm going to go get one now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Is Kolo Toure the greatest cult hero of the last two decades?

I'm thinking of a few players that might be on the shortlist:

Kyrgiakos
    Biscan
    Erik Meijer
    Djimi Traore
    Titi Camara

Few arguable ones then such as Heskey, Kuyt & Crouch, but they had much more of a first team impact.

Knex. wrote: »

Kyrgiakos
    Biscan
    Erik Meijer
    Djimi Traore
    Titi Camara

Few arguable ones then such as Heskey, Kuyt & Crouch, but they had much more of a first team impact.

You miss-spelt Doni

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

You miss-spelt Doni

I'm actually ashamed of myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Knex. wrote: »

Kyrgiakos
    Biscan
    Erik Meijer
    Djimi Traore
    Titi Camara

Neil Mellor too, for how long it lasted.

Whoosh! Right over my head, I don't get it?

Ya, Zlatan is even better than Mourinho at finding the easiest club to win a title with and signing for them! :cool:

Same, don't get it either. :o

• Advertisement

Same, don't get it either. :o

Ah lads......I know its preseason but dont be like Sakho and start missing stuff......like thread jokes.......

A poster said Daniel Sturridge has been a pro for 12 seasons.....there was a whole thing about it......I would explain it better but i couldn't be bothered :P
    To be honest you're in a better state for not reading it :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement