Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I don't remember Gerrard missing 60% of games when he was younger and also his game wasn't built on pace.

From what we can see Klopp is build a team based on pace power and pressing if a player can't do those three things I can't see them being a starter.

Since 2012 740 days injured compared to 702 games played for club.
    I dunno what that stat means in reality as you can't play a game every day :D

Augeo wrote: »
    Anyone thinking Sturridge's game is built on pace needs their head examined.

Pace, power & pressing, coutinho says hello.

I don't
    But I think we all agreed that I still need my head examined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I don't
    But I think we all agreed that I still need my head examined.

No you don't you just need to give up the long winded hippy posts and go back to the short but to the point haiku posts ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

8-10 wrote: »
    Firmino with a couple of filthy moments. Slow start last season but hope he hits the ground running this time around

This was one of the filthy moments btw. Glorius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Feel free to put me on ignore. There's nothing over-hyped in what I wrote and I don't see how it's over-analysis when the analysis wasn't in any way detailed. All I was talking about was the set up and how it clicked, something I would have said if we'd played the same but lost 2-0, the result doesn't matter but the shape of the team and fitness levels do. Apologies if any of it didn't come across like that but I've been up since 2.45am to watch the game so I'm running on coffee and not much else today

Why are you taking it personal? I was not attacking you in anyway.

My point is that that these games are nothing more than training games to improve fitness and maybe try out some line ups tactics.

So I wouldn't read too much into these games whatsoever and that's why I would not be getting up at silly o'clock to watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why are you taking it personal? I was not attacking you in anyway.

My point is that that these games are nothing more than training games to improve fitness and maybe try out some line ups tactics.

So I wouldn't read too much into these games whatsoever and that's why I would not be getting up at silly o'clock to watch them.

The season starts in 2 weeks, they are a level above training games. The fact you didn't watch it yet were quick to shoot down the opinion of someone who did is a bit odd no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

This was one of the filthy moments btw. Glorius.

He's properly Sasha Gray at times, so he is.

Hoki wrote: »
    The season starts in 2 weeks, they are a level above training games. The fact you didn't watch it yet were quick to shoot down the opinion of someone who did is a bit odd no?

So you're taking a game serious that had Trent Arnold as a starter, had seven substitutions, of which Klopp said he'd have done more if the competition rules had permitted it?

It's a game that's all about fitness that's the crux of it. I don't need to get up at 3 am to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

So you're taking a game serious that ad Trent Arnold as a starter, had seven substitutions, of which Klopp said he'd have done more if the competition rules had permitted it?

It's a game that's all about fitness that's the crux of it. I don't need to get up at 3 am to watch it.

I didn't say I took it serious, just that it was a level above a training game which I think it was. With only 2 weeks to the start of the season it's more than just a fitness workout. There was experimentation last night but it's not unfair to pluck some information from the game imo.

• Advertisement

I didn't say I took it serious, just that it was a level above a training game which I think it was. With only 2 weeks to the start of the season it's more than just a fitness workout. There was experimentation last night but it's not unfair to pluck some information from the game imo.

Seriously Home, stop making poor murph take it seriously against his will, ya big bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I'm actually embarrassed to say I watched that game last night, I think I might have a problem.

To justify it I got in at two and put on some grub and then it just felt like the natural thing to do.

If we had lost 2-0 last night instead of winning i would take nothing more or less out of it.

Klopp himself has said it's all about fitness so what you're seeing is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'm actually embarrassed to say I watched that game last night, I think I might have a problem.

To justify it I got in at two and put on some grub and then it just felt like the natural thing to do.

Embarrassed for waiting up for a match at that hour? That's fair enough I guess but try being an MMA or boxing fan, it's nearly a weekly occurrence! :pac:

If we had lost 2-0 last night instead of winning i would take nothing more or less out of it.

Klopp himself has said it's all about fitness so what you're seeing is beyond me.

I still don't understand any of the controversy about what I said and how it is "over-analysis". The only insights into our play that I gave were:
    Really encouraging game. I think it all clicked pretty well in both halves. Henderson looked good, Klavan looked solid with Lovren. Sturridge looked a yard of pace behind the rest but he's only just back in training. Origi was excellent.

Klopp said:
    We should talk about the way we played and the dominance we had – the passing situations we had in the first half were brilliant. We passed and passed and passed until we were through. We created chances but didn't score. We had four or five big chances. We lost a bit of patience and chose the wrong ways with too many long balls. But then we scored some wonderful goals and had more chances. Gini (Wijnaldum) did really well in his first game, (Ragnar) Klavan and (Sadio) Mane did really well. There were good signs

Nobody is reading into the performance or comparing it to the upcoming league games. I just said that our play was encouraging, as in given the fact that we are 2 weeks away from the league start I think the fact that we have so many new players in the team that it's encouraging that we were clicking together, and I highlighted a few players I think did well.

I didn't say anything about how great it was that we beat Milan or anything about the result in any way, or even make a statement about beating Arsenal or anything like that. I just don't see what you're reading into my post. Klopp did broadly the same thing, he said that the passing was good, patience was bad and picked out a few players that did well. And he didn't care about the result either. I even said if we'd lost 2-0 I'd have still said the performance was encouraging because I'm not looking into the match at all.

I disagree that it's 100% about fitness. There's obviously tactical drills and sharpening your touch and passing that these games are useful for and I really don't see that pointing out how that went in this game is over-analysing fitness training - because it's not just that

I still don't understand any of the controversy about what I said and how it is "over-analysis"........

Controversy?

Now you're over analysing posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Slow news day eh!

Need the season to start asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So we're playing some minnows from Barcelona on Saturday. Is the season in 2 weeks, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

8-10, I appreciate the bit of thought into the game, nought to change. Friendly or no, there's always things to take from any game (or even training session) this close to the season's opener.

And if folks don't want to watch, that's fine too, no need to be taking people that did watch and report to task about it though.

I see ings didn't get on last night. If there was no injury it doesn't seem like he will be getting much gametime this year.

Sturridge, Origi and Ings have each played 45 minutes on the US tour so far, so i'd say its more a case of Klopp spacing the time evening, and not overdoing it for lads who might need a little taking care of (Sturridge & Origi were on international duty, Ings still coming back to full fitness after his ACL).

I'd say we'll see plenty of each this season.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Sturridge, Origi and Ings have each played 45 minutes on the US tour so far, so i'd say its more a case of Klopp spacing the time evening, and not overdoing it for lads who might need a little taking care of (Sturridge & Origi were on international duty, Ings still coming back to full fitness after his ACL).

I'd say we'll see plenty of each this season.

Klopp has said that Ings will be involved tomorrow night, it's a short turnaround between these games so would have been stupid to play everybody. Would be good to give Manninger a go tomorrow too, at least to have him work with the back 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

and how it is "over-analysis".

It wasn't, a line or two about a preseason game is hardly over analysis.

Its not like you were picking starting line-ups or speculating on how we'll play next season based on what you saw. I get what the poster was saying about not over analysing friendlies, but I cant see where he got the impression that your post was over analysing much tbh.

• Advertisement

Hull have been trying to get Benteke on loan.

Benteke is a great player who has never played in a great side who fits him.
    Hull. Benteke should be in Champions League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bestikas manager says no interest in Balotelli, should Liverpool cancel his contract and be done with it.

Bestikas manager says no interest in Balotelli, should Liverpool cancel his contract and be done with it.

Lets not pull the plug just yet, theres surely someone around that thinks they can get the best out of him...

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what his agent wants so he can get a huge fee for the next move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Do you mean pay up the £6.9m he is due in wages for the remainder of the contract (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2733921/Mario-Balotelli-joins-Liverpool-16million-AC-Milan-three-year-contract.html) and then let him waltz off to China, Turkey or somewhere else with zero transfer fee?

Should that happen at a rough estimate I reckon he'll have cost the club a total of £35.5m over the three years of his contract in both transfer fee and wages.

What an unmitigated disaster. Wrong player at the wrong time.

There'll be virtually no financial difference between paying him off and leaving him picking his hole at home for the year, unless he chooses to waive his contract, at least in part. So the ball's in his court, from that point of view, I would have thought.

LA is right where Balotelli needs to be, they would love the showman he is. He would sell a lot of merchandise. Team up with Gerrard.

If you can bare the frame and crap music what you will see is quality goals and skills.
    Hull , ffs.
    This guy needs a big club .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Do you mean pay up the £6.9m he is due in wages for the remainder of the contract (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2733921/Mario-Balotelli-joins-Liverpool-16million-AC-Milan-three-year-contract.html) and then let him waltz off to China, Turkey or somewhere else with zero transfer fee?

Should that happen at a rough estimate I reckon he'll have cost the club a total of £35.5m over the three years of his contract in both transfer fee and wages.

I reckon thats wrong since he was on loan at Milan who payed majority of his wage. Also some of his wages is performance based.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What will probably happen is he will go on loan to an Italian club for the remainder of his contract and we will continue to pay the majority of his contract.

Screw it, terminate his contract and take the hit now and lets get on with enjoying football again instead of having Mario clogging up every page of every club-related site for the rest of his contract.

And place a clause in every managers contract in the future that he is not allowed to buy any Italian player unless he pays the transfer fee and the wages himself.

Never deal with an Italian club ever again. "Simples"

Never deal with an Italian club ever again. "Simples"
    One word, though.

Coutinho!

Wrong player at the wrong time.

Wrong player at any time really.....

One word, though.

Coutinho!

That's fair enough but didn't we sign him on the back of his form in Spain for Espanyol not on his Italian form ;)

That's fair enough but didn't we sign him on the back of his form in Spain for Espanyol not on his Italian form ;)

Italian clubs haven't been the problem so much as Italian players.
    Padelli
    Aquilani
    Dossena
    Borini
    Balotelli

We've just had no luck with them.

Padelli
    Aquilani
    Dossena
    Borini
    Balotelli

Oh the clubs have been a problem as well with there we'll take the player off your hands....But it will be on loan and you pay most of the wages.

Roma are the latest club to try that one looking to take Sakho on loan after he was sent home.

Napoli need a striker, Benteke would be perfect.

Napoli need a striker, Benteke would be perfect.

They're supposedly getting Arek Milik from Ajax, which is why you have the Balotelli to Ajax rumours.

• Advertisement

Oh the clubs have been a problem as well with there we'll take the player off your hands....But it will be on loan and you pay most of the wages.

Roma are the latest club to try that one looking to take Sakho on loan after he was sent home.

They're cheeky devil's alright, but I can't blame them for that, we've just been fools to go along with those deals.

But as far as transfer buys are concerned, the clubs have been fairly grand, I wouldn't worry too much about buying from them in the future - though maybe we should take a break from Italian players themselves, and take their better imports instead. 100% failure rate with Italians thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Hull have been trying to get Benteke on loan.

I thought the just signed Balotelli.....

Why don't clubs see Benteke's value. If Chelsea are buying back Lukaku from Everton then Everton need Benteke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Riise having his first beer at 35.

https://twitter.com/TransferTrends/status/759851682704592897

I wouldn't mind seeing some of this later this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That was unbelievable :D

• Advertisement

Why don't clubs see Benteke's value. If Chelsea are buying back Lukaku from Everton then Everton need Benteke.

Wouldn't sell anyone to that lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Wrong player at any time IMHO.

Let the ball do the work. What it's all about.

TOMATO TOMATO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

People say friendlies are friendlies but Liverpool were totally switched on against Milan.

These games are a chance for players to nail their starting spot for the coming season through form, fitness, teamwork and understanding whats required in terms of tactics etc.

Its good to see the team really alive right now and Klopp will have been delighted with what he saw, I think. I was really impressed with the level and the cohesion of the play, despite the changes.

Twas a really encouraging performance and showed we actually do have good quality in depth now and strong competition for the first XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Padelli
    Aquilani
    Dossena
    Borini
    Balotelli

Doss begs to differ....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement