Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Origi the latest injury.

Out with a groin injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Augeo wrote: »
    Am tempted to have a coffee, eyelids are getting heavy :pac:

Gin and tonic time here ;)

Origi the latest injury.

Out with a groin injury.

He's getting injured very frequently, wish he'd cop on and sort his head out, I actually think he mightn't you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Origi's groin injury is just a bit of tightness apparently, more of a precaution leaving him out than anything else.

He must be enjoying himself a bit too much over in the states. :pac:

• Advertisement

Lets go Manninger, lets go.

Bentekkers on the bench. Totti and De Rossi on the bench for Roma!

J Mysterio wrote: »
    ....Totti and De Rossi on the bench for Roma!

40 in September :eek:

Speaking of ole dudes Manninger got down very well there to save a shot from outside the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

2 very good chances from Roma already - Manninger did very well for the first (his first action in a pool shirt really), we got lucky for the second.

• Advertisement

That line between the camera and pitch is ****ing with my brain.

Oof, stunning move from the Pool there, Mane and Sturridge in particular, nice quick little passing while driving into the box. Great save from the keeper to stop Sturridge from scoring, but can't really fault any of our lads.

Great pace to this game, zipping along! Great run from El Shaarawy, skipping past a few of our lads.

Also, we're mad for the back heels this preseason! Already 2 nice little ones this half.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mane looks very good, been involved in combinations. I have to say I'm surprised to see Wijnaldum in central midfield...I've been under the impression he's an attacker there to get on the end of things

Grand game so far. If it slows, I'll be off to dreamland, I'd say. Keeping me awake at the moment, though.

Lame. Decent goal from Dzeko. Lovren kinda blocking Manningers view, so he reacts late.

Bastad from Dublin scores :(

Tasty strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ojo 1 all now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Special agent Ojo to the rescue :)

• Advertisement

Nowhere near the levels from the last game thus far. Milner good at LB, Can playing well.

Will be jnteresting to see some changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A goal from a corner.

Our year !

Roma the better team, but we're level. Id like to see a little more focus and intensity in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

dfx- wrote: »
    Mane looks very good, been involved in combinations. I have to say I'm surprised to see Wijnaldum in central midfield...I've been under the impression he's an attacker there to get on the end of things

Personally I think he will play the bulk of his games as part of a 2 in mifield or a 3 in midfield. he is so dynamic from that position, I'm sure he is the type of CM Klopp wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Decent first half. Jon Champion commentating helps.
    Dzeko has been a magnet for the ball. Would prefer Can to come off and leave the CBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

No picture now ere

ElTel wrote: »
    Decent first half. Jon Champion commentating helps.
    Dzeko has been a magnet for the ball. Would prefer Can to come off and leave the CBs.

Jon Champion is grand, if a little pompous. His cocommentator is a moron though!

That ball looked like it was in the air in slow motion there. I had time to shout at Mignolet to grab it.

Replay showed it was a little tricker maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

2-1 down. Now Moreno injured. As if it wasn't already, the search for a decent LB becomes more urgent.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    2-1 down. Now Moreno injured. As if it wasn't already, the search for a decent LB becomes more urgent.

Give Millner a chance. He's only back and played well today. Hasn't got the touch yet with the left but will get better. I'm worried about Can.

Give Millner a chance. He's only back and played well today. Hasn't got the touch yet with the left but will get better. I'm worried about Can.

Eh, he isn't a left back. We need not only another LB but a significant upgrade on the brainless one who started most of last season. Having the solidity of Clyne on the right just highlights even more the lack of cover on the left side of the defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

LFC goalkeeper pecking order:

1. Karius
    2. Manninger
    3. That guy who played as a striker
    4. Arsenal
    5. Just leave the net empty
    6. Mignolet

mosstin wrote: »
    Eh, he isn't a left back. We need not only another LB but a significant upgrade on the brainless one who started most of last season. Having the solidity of Clyne on the right just highlights even more the lack of cover on the left side of the defence.

Sure but our squad is too big. Clyne at LB and Millner on the right? Does Millner make your starting eleven ahead of Moreno 'cos he does not get in my mid?

Sure but our squad is too big. Clyne at LB and Millner on the right? Does Millner make your starting eleven ahead of Moreno 'cos he does not get in my mid?

Squad size doesn't matter a jot if a particular position is weak. Get rid of folks somewhere else if other positions are overstocked, but you always have to fill a weakness.

And right now, we need a backup RB, and a first choice LB.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Squad size doesn't matter a jot if a particular position is weak. Get rid of folks somewhere else if other positions are overstocked, but you always have to fill a weakness.

And right now, we need a backup RB, and a first choice LB.

It's such a glaring hole in the squad right now which, of course, we still time to address but the thoughts of being left with Milner as first choice when he has no innate understanding of the position - nor does the incumbent - would be worrying.
    I don't even consider Moreno good enough as cover to be honest because, if you think about it, the same reasons folk don't want him as first choice apply when he has to fill in for a number of matches.
    The other area is that controlling CM, a Kante type figure. I've seen Can's name mentioned for this role but, defensively, I think he'd be exposed and his use of the ball isn't always good. I hope that this year we find the position where Can optimises his huge potential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Seems Moreno has a dead leg to go with his dead brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Match wasn't great then from the looks of it.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Match wasn't great then from the looks of it.

First half was very entertaining alright though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

paulie21 wrote: »
    LFC goalkeeper pecking order:

1. Karius
    2. Manninger
    3. That guy who played as a striker
    4. Arsenal
    6. Last man back
    7. Fly goalie
    8. That steward who moves quite well for a big lad
    9. Just leave the net empty
    10. Mignolet

Fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Seen some of the highlights.....was expecting another Mig howler, but to be fair Wisdom was watching Dzeko have a free header 6 yards out and the ball just hit Mig, the follow up was a bit poor from Mig but again Wisdom just stood and watched Salah, awful defending.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

NukaCola wrote: »
    Seen some of the highlights.....was expecting another Mig howler, but to be fair Wisdom was watching Dzeko have a free header 6 yards out and the ball just hit Mig, the follow up was a bit poor from Mig but again Wisdom just stood and watched Salah, awful defending.......

Agreed. It was hit at Mignolet and wisdom was too slow on the uptake.

I didn't see last 30 mins. Klopp not happy with 2nd half performance.... if the metro is correct.... http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/02/jurgen-klopp-has-to-confirm-liverpool-trained-ahead-of-roma-defeat-the-performance-was-so-bad-6042807/

I agree, milner isn't a solution to LB, cover perhaps but Moreno is a better LB to be fair.

Seems Moreno has a dead leg to go with his dead brain.

Brain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

So do we still thing a genuine title challenge is a reasonable expectation. I don't know why we keep doing it to ourselves.

They appear to have improved but they are still extremely dodgy at the back. I expect there to be plenty of heartbreak this season and we will be lucky to scrape 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

So do we still thing a genuine title challenge is a reasonable expectation. I don't know why we keep doing it to ourselves.

They appear to have improved but they are still extremely dodgy at the back. I expect there to be plenty of heartbreak this season and we will be lucky to scrape 4th.

Not sure if anyone thinks this?

Edit.....ok maybe a small few do, but I dont think the majority think it is reasonable to expect a title challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

4th is a success

8-10 wrote: »
    4th is a success

Yup. Serious achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Absolutely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

25/1 Sturridge to be top Premier League goalscorer, thoughts? I know the injury record is the reason he's such a big price but it's almost too tempting a price to have a small interest in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

I think if circumstances fall in our favour we have a shot at the title e.g. United, City and Chelsea all have new managers so they may take time to settle, Spurs may not recover from losing out last season and Arsenal don't buy a decent striker.

We potentially have a high scoring front 6 with enough depth in the squad to keep a high tempo game going for the full 90 minutes via rotation and subs plus one game a week means we'll be in prime condition each and every game whereas all of the other main contenders (bar Chelsea) will have mid week European matches.

If LFC don't start out the season with the aim of winning the title what's the point? We've set that as our goal and achieved it many times. For an up and coming club (random example Bournemouth) they may legitimately have a target of making the top 10 in order to make steady progress and then build on that towards one day being equipped to have a proper go at the title but we're already at that stage and should always be genuinely aiming for the title.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement