Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If LFC don't start out the season with the aim of winning the title what's the point?

Theres a big difference with having an aim and an expectation though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

So do we still thing a genuine title challenge is a reasonable expectation. I don't know why we keep doing it to ourselves.

They appear to have improved but they are still extremely dodgy at the back. I expect there to be plenty of heartbreak this season and we will be lucky to scrape 4th.

I think you'll find very few Liverpool fans think we have a chance at the title, and those that do will even qualify it with a "Sure look at last season..."

I think there'll be very little between the top few sides.

But I think for Liverpool to push ahead of Chelsea, Arsenal, United and City (not to mention Spurs and Leicester - I see Southampton, West Ham, etc disimproving slightly), we need a near perfect storm level of things to come together. From better luck with injuries (which we haven't enjoyed this pre-season already) to immediately settling signings, it would be a massive amount of good fortune.

That's before we even look at the gaping weaknesses in parts of the team - left back, short in numbers at CB, cover for RB, CM...
    kfallon wrote: »
    25/1 Sturridge to be top Premier League goalscorer, thoughts? I know the injury record is the reason he's such a big price but it's almost too tempting a price to have a small interest in!

You will be held personally responsible for any future injuries to Sturridge if you place this bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

You will be held personally responsible for any future injuries to Sturridge if you place this bet.

And if he shoots us to the title with 40+ League goals alone will I get a medal? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

And if he shoots us to the title with 40+ League goals alone will I get a medal? :P

You get HIS medal.

Fair's fair, afterall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

You ll get a ribbon

2D49CXT.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

25/1 Sturridge to be top Premier League goalscorer, thoughts? I know the injury record is the reason he's such a big price but it's almost too tempting a price to have a small interest in!

no chance we all know Zlatan is going to win everything :eek::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Betfair offering top 5 e/w too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I'm not sure how people could realistically expect a title challenge next year. We went into May with glaring issues at left back, in central midfield and in goal. It's now August and after spending £67m, unless you see Wijnaldum as a replacement for Lucas and not Ibe, we've signed a fairly unproven keeper out of those three,

Considering how important Klopp sees pre-season, the club's failure to get the other two positions shored up before the end of this tour has to be seen as a failure by the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I still reckon we will see a fullback signed by the end of the transfer window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm not even optimistic of Top 4, so I really am not sure where the title challenge talk is coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm not even optimistic of Top 4, so I really am not sure where the title challenge talk is coming from.

It's cringeworthy stuff alright. Fans with total delusions of grandeur that perpetuate the "This Is Our Year" stereotype. We don't even have one of the top 4 squads in the league imo.

To get top 4 we need a slice of luck. I'd be over the moon if we got 4th this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Absolutely. Given the strength of our squad, top four is the extent of out ambitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I'm very disappointed in klopp signings this year,we needed a massive improvement in players and we haven't got it,it's gonna be a long season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Injury doubts.
    Generally helps to be on penalties and he's not.
    Team isn't set up purely to provide him goals.
    Not guaranteed starter even if avoids injuries.
    Plenty of other starting options if he has a 3 game drought.
    Even when starts likely to only play 70min when defending lead.

Avoid at that price imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think there are 6 potential top 4 teams, and we are the least likely of all of them to finish top 4

Man City
    Chelsea
    Man Utd
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Liverpool

I don't see Leicester in the shake-up this season.

We have a great manager, but the above teams all of have better players than we do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

The fact that Mig will start the season in goal, and will be in goal for up to two months, means I've already resigned myself to finishing outside the top 4. Buying one keeper this summer was never going to be enough, he had to leave the club. He's a complete disaster.

More auld scutter out of him yesterday

“I just need to stay calm. I need to look at myself and my own performances in the games and in training. I have to keep my head down and keep working hard.

“I don’t want to speak too much about it because I want to do my talking on the pitch.

“It’s down to me to put in performances and play the best I can.
    and then yet again he falls to pieces, in a flipping pre-season friendly. He should be in John of God's, not LFC.

I'd bring back Ward from loan, if possible, start Manninger while Karius is out, and get rid of Mig on whatever terms can be achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I'm very disappointed in klopp signings this year,we needed a massive improvement in players and we haven't got it,it's gonna be a long season

This. Unfortunately, we've a very average squad. We need to invest heavily to have any chance of a title challenge. A top 4 challenge is a big ask this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Hat trick here and there. He has a chance if we romp a few teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

corwill wrote: »
    The fact that Mig will start the season in goal, and will be in goal for up to two months, means I've already resigned myself to finishing outside the top 4. Buying one keeper this summer was never going to be enough, he had to leave the club. He's a complete disaster.

More auld scutter out of him yesterday

and then yet again he falls to pieces, in a flipping pre-season friendly. He should be in John of God's, not LFC.

I'd bring back Ward from loan, if possible, start Manninger while Karius is out, and get rid of Mig on whatever terms can be achieved.

Is it just me who thought the mistake last night wasn't really a mistake? It should have gone in from the header but I think he was completely surprised that he had saved it and just couldn't react in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Top 4 barely realistic, it seems we just have some absolute dopes as fans.

I think 6th is the best we can do. A well beaten 6th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

8-10 wrote: »
    Is it just me who thought the mistake last night wasn't really a mistake? It should have gone in from the header but I think he was completely surprised that he had saved it and just couldn't react in time.

So surprised that he just fell on his arse in the manner of an 18 month old child who's just been hit in the face by a stray tennis ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's not as simple as this.

what we've seen from Klopp in this window is a change in the type of player we're bringing in. it's not as simple as 'Player X' isn't that much of an improvement on 'Player Y'.

Mané and Wijnaldum are utterly different kinds of attacking player to what we had last season. Klopp is looking to have some directness in our play in how we run and penetrate with the ball. We'd often have Firmino, Lallana and Coutinho all on the pitch, and it would be difficult to punch holes because there was no pace and power. Klopp has made a concerted effort to address this.

It's patently obvious that he's worked a hell of a lot with Origi to try and make him into a direct running, powerful centre forward.

He's addressed the keeper issue, but has been unfortunate with Karius' injury.

We've replaced Skrtel, who routinely spread fear throughout our backline, with Matip, a young talented defender who got in the Bundesliga team of the year.

We've a better quality of player in our squad, and a better mix of talents, particularly in our forward thinking players. he had a lot to address there, and we had a bunch of players who all did similar things.

wholesale changes cannot happen immediately. in our position, we can't all of a sudden have world class players in every position. it takes time.

i like the look of the squad. we need a LB desperately, and another CM. but i think we've a better mix than last season by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Slattsy wrote: »

Your following a football team, In your opinion the best you can do is sixth! Im not sure who's the real dope tbh.

Mignolet was a victim of hesitation from a defender who should of cleared it no questions. You don't defend the ball 3 feet from goal, you put foot through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The optimism on here is great. Last night's game was just a friendly some seem to have forgotten that along with the fact Klopp got us to 2 finals last season. Complete overreaction & analysis on friendly games where players are way off there best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Its an exceptionally poor division lets be honest with no standout team so there is no reason why any of the top 6 or 7 teams wouldn't fancy themselves especially after what leicester did...do you think Chelsea who finished below Liverpool last year will settle for anything less than 4th next year!!

When you hammer city at their place one week and lose 3-0 home to west ham that's not really quality of squad problem.

6th next year would be poor result for Liverpool especially with lack of distractions this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,393 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

MD1990 wrote: »
    The optimism on here is great. Last night's game was just a friendly some seem to have forgotten that along with the fact Klopp got us to 2 finals last season. Complete overreaction & analysis on friendly games where players are way off there best.

We made 10 changes at half-time last night. Surprised anyone is reading anything at all into games like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I think there are 6 potential top 4 teams, and we are the least likely of all of them to finish top 4

Man City
    Chelsea
    Man Utd
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Liverpool

I don't see Leicester in the shake-up this season.

We have a great manager, but the above teams all of have better players than we do.

We dont need to fear any of those teams.

Man City
    New manager. Guardiola has to implement his vision, which may take time. Will Tiki Taka work in the EPL?

Chelsea
    New manager. Conte seemingly looking to make Chelsea the bus depot.

Man Utd
    New manager. Look stronger but may be flaky. Expectations will be high and this squad is still not a team.

Arsenal
    Injury crisis, lack of goalscorers, suspect defence.

Spurs
    Good squad but perenial also rans. Can Harry Kane score 30 goals odd again?

Leicester should probably be in this list. Southampton amd Everton will win games next season im sure.

If I was Klopp I would tell the team to go and win the league - that should be the ambition. That said, top 4 will be a successfull season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

J Mysterio wrote: »
    We dont need to fear any of those teams.

Man City
    New manager. Guardiola has to implement his vision, which may take time. Will Tiki Taka work in the EPL?

Chelsea
    New manager. Conte seemingly looking to make Chelsea the bus depot.

Man Utd
    New manager. Look stronger but may be flaky. Expectations will be high and this squad is still not a team.

Arsenal
    Injury crisis, lack of goalscorers, suspect defence.

Spurs
    Good squad but perenial also rans. Can Harry Kane score 30 goals odd again?

Leicester should probably be in this list. Southampton amd Everton will win games next season im sure.

If I was Klopp I would tell the team to go and win the league - that should be the ambition. That said, top 4 will be a successfull season.

I actually expect United to mount a serious challenge this year. Mourimho knows the premier league so the gelling-in will be quick. Plus they've brought in some quality additions.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Slattsy wrote: »

Why such pessimism when we have better players that last season and a full Klopp pre-season done.

Without European games this season I'm expecting top 4 at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why such pessimism when we have better players that last season and a full Klopp pre-season done.

Without European games this season I'm expecting top 4 at least.

We'll give a massive push I reckon.

3rd of 4th would be great this season.

The protection for the back line is my worry, that hole in between is exploited too often. It results in chances being given to teams and goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Actually, it's not a long season, 50 games max. He's brought in a goal scoring midfielder, a goal-scoring attacker, two GKs and a (probably) starting CB. What were you expecting, for a team with no Euro football to offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

At the moment, a 4th place finish is possible.

Upgrade on Moreno and a proper ball playing CM we would be title challengers. I really rate our attack it's as good as anything in the league IMO with options like Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Mane, Firmino, Coutinho, Lallana, Milner, Ojo.

Central defence I'm reasonably happy with and the addition of pace and power with Mane and Wijnaldum are big changes to the way the team plays and reminiscent of Klopp's Dortmund.

For real league success we need a few things to happen.

- A fully fit Sturridge, I know we are saying it again but he is still our No.1 striker and getting him on the pitch for 30 or so games will greatly increase our chances.

- We need Karius to oust Mignolet as soon as he is well again and make that position his.

- Coutinho, this has to be the season where he finally reaches his undoubted potential. He's 24 now no longer an upcoming young talent, if he does of aspirations of playing in Spain he needs to prove he is up to it.

- Overall fitness and cohesion, its so important, a regular starting XI just like we had in 13/14, as Spurs had last season as did Leicester. Players more familiar with each other will give us the solidity we need at the back also, we were ravaged with injuries last year at one stage.

United will undoubtedly challenge under Mourinho and they have made some very good additions but I wouldn't fear a single team in this league, none are at the level of Bayern, Madrid, Barca etc

The protection for the back line is my worry, that hole in between is exploited too often. It results in chances being given to teams and goals.
    Last night is not a fair reflection of how we'll line up. We've been working very hard, played a lot of games, and were getting too far forward in attack without the defense pushing up also. We fixed that during the game. But very often, we'll have two CMs sitting right in front of defense, and two FBs and multiple attackers to deliver to. Can and Wij have had no minutes together to work out that balance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    First half was very entertaining alright though.

first half was very good attacking wise for Liverpool and you can see what SlickRic is getting at in terms of direct attack. But all game was very sloppy at the back. Numerous times Dzeko got in first half before all the changes were made. Second goal was ridiculous, Wisdom perhaps should do better, but Mignolet jumps out of the way. Also no communication between them.

I'd also say the second half attacking was quite poor. Ings was desperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Some lads will be calling for klopps head if we loose a couple in the first 6 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Some lads will be calling for klopps head if we loose a couple in the first 6 games

Course they will, lots of people are quite impatient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

And they'll be met with suitable derision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sure that's the beauty of the modern day game......the sky sports generation need instant gratification :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wouldn't read too much into last night's game defensive wise either look at the starting back 5 Manninger, Clyne, Lovren, Klavan & Milner if everyone is fit Clyne would be the only one out of that five starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I wouldn't read too much into last night's game defensive wise either look at the starting back 5 Manninger, Clyne, Lovren, Klavan & Milner if everyone is fit Clyne would be the only one out of that five starting.

So you don't think Lovren would start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I will reserve my forecast (not expectation) until we have played a couple of games. It's intriguing to watch a man manager work with raw materials to mould a team from scratch, doesn't happen with "top" teams very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Matip, Lovren is the no 1 CB pairing in my book.

With Matip missing so much training now, it will be Lovren and Klavan for Arsenal anyway, so only Moreno as a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Matip, Lovren is the no 1 CB pairing in my book.

I think if everyone is fit Matip & Sakho will be the starting pair but I'd happy enough with any two of those three starting.

The one person that needs to be worried for me is Henderson.

Can & Wijnaldum look odds on to be the starting two in Central Midfield.

Can and Wij will need some minutes together to show they can play as a pair, both are pretty attack minded.
    I could see them playing there with Henderson as the 3rd man, and a front 3, to give us some more stability and work-rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I still have major doubts over Lovern. He may win me over but he hasn't yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

SM01 wrote: »
    I still have major doubts over Lovern. He may win me over but he hasn't yet.

Same. He finished last season really well to be fair to him, and Lovren and Klavan look good at the moment, but you just feel we are one bad result from hos confidence falling like a deck of cards.

If he keeps going as he is now then great, I hope he does.

It did grate with me though that he was talking about the captaincy straight after walking through Melwood and having a season of woefull performances. At times his performances were so poor the only things stopping you wondering was he a saboteur was the clown shoe-ed-ness of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Why does everybody seem to think that Matip will be our first choice CB?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement