Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Why does everybody seem to think that Matip will be our first choice CB?

Because he will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think some of this Mignolet stuff is getting a bit out of hand. He's certainly not good enough to be first choice, but hopefully he isn't anymore.

As far as backup is concerned, lets just compare him to our backup over the past decade or two - only a tiny handful of them were any better, and most were significantly worse. He'll be one of the better backup keepers in the league.

Let's not go absolutely nuts with the 'throw him out of the club' stuff, and just remember how bad the likes of Padelli, Jones, Itandje et al were.

He's been rightly demoted (we hope), but he's fine as a backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If Mignolet left I'd be thrilled, I'd much sooner have Manninger as back up and one of the lads from the U23/18s as third choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We need cover at RCB too as Lovren is the only experienced one we have and Gomez seems a bit injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

If Mignolet left I'd be thrilled, I'd much sooner have Manninger as back up and one of the lads from the U23/18s as third choice.

Absolutely, we have so much actual evidence to judge him on, and he's observably far too poor. Just because he's back up doesn't make it OK for him to be the complete shambles that he is. He can't leave soon enough.

........... considering Ward was sent out on loan, Mig' just signed a new contract & Manninger is presumably 3rd choice I do fear that Mignolet is very much part of Klopp's plans. A blunder or two in pre season games behind a hesitant defence might not change that.

Karius has yet to make the GK spot his own........ http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10520423/liverpool-keeper-loris-karius-undergoes-operation-to-repair-broken-hand ............ he's after his op though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I'm not remotely a Mignolet fan but he'd be the best backup keeper in the league imo. He's better than Vorm or Begovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Think Mignolet gets an awful rough time here. Yes he's prone to mistakes, but he is a top shot stopper and has made some great saves for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

murpho999 wrote: »
    Think Mignolet gets an awful rough time here. Yes he's prone to mistakes, but he is a top shot stopper and has made some great saves for us.

I think its the curse of the internet. All criticisms are amplified by 'robust language' and weight of opinion.

Not a bad keeper but lacks in concentration. If he's back up, he's good back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

For me he has the whiff of failure and the odour spreads across his own back line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

murpho999 wrote: »

The problem is that he wasn't even saving basic shots. He had the worse save to shot ratio in the entire league at one stage last season. He even went a few game spell whereby more than 50% of the shots on target were goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Take Moreno and Mignolet out of our back 5 and there would be an immediate improvement. Mignolet deserves the criticism. It's just that for some people these days that involves using terms like 'retarded' etc. He isn't good enough for us and I don't think he's a good enough back up either. Always a mistake waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

mosstin wrote: »
    Take Moreno and Mignolet out of our back 5 and there would be an immediate improvement. Mignolet deserves the criticism. It's just that for some people these days that involves using terms like 'retarded' etc. He isn't good enough for us and I don't think he's a good enough back up either. Always a mistake waiting to happen.

Yes I agree. Having just the 3 at the back would work wonders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mosstin wrote: »
    Not really, unless someone came in to take the numbers back up to 11.:P

But in every position on the pitch we would improve the players, those are just the most pressing atm.

I will be very surprised if we don't sign cover/competition for LB and RCB.

Or maybe Klopp decided that with some tweaks to the system, we will be alright with what we have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Dundalk win 3-0 are heading for the Champions League play off's . Liverpool don't even get a shot.
    Needs a reboot that competition .
    But well done to Dundalk !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Dundalk win 3-0 are heading for the Champions League play off's . Liverpool don't even get a shot.

Why? Because you don't like it?

The reality is that they are actually champions of their national league..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

redzerdrog wrote: »
    The problem is that he wasn't even saving basic shots. He had the worse save to shot ratio in the entire league at one stage last season. He even went a few game spell whereby more than 50% of the shots on target were goals

Hard to defend that but how much of those errors are due to a very shaky central defence. The keeper is last line of defence but often last year I felt we had no defensive line at all and everything was finding its way through to him.

Is there a stat available for number of shots on goal teams had against us vs same stat for other team goalkeepers (if that makes any sense) as a measure of our defence capabilities. Were we under more pressure ? Then look at shots saved/scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liverpool did get a shot just did not take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What sort of logic is this?

Dundalk are league champions so why can't they compete in the Champion's league?

Liverpool didn't qualify, simple as that, it doesn't matter if they are better then teams from other countries that did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

To win the most stupid post in this thread is some achievement, well done.

SM01 wrote: »
    I still have major doubts over Lovern. He may win me over but he hasn't yet.

He is fúcking brutal and a coward although in his own head he's captain material so you can add deluded to that.

I think Liverpool should be in it every year, and that you get eliminated from that privilege based on the performance in champions league, combined with league performance. All the heavy hitter should be there.
    If you fail to make it out of group 3 years in a row and finish outside top 10 in league 3 years in a row then your rights to be there are taken away and your only way back in is top 4 finish.
    :D

ShamoBuc wrote: »

What's stupid is comparing Irish league to Premier League.
    But like I said, well done to them. I just can't help but feel Liverpool could win Irish League.:rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think Liverpool should be in it every year, and that you get eliminated from that privilege based on the performance in champions league, combined with league performance. All the heavy hitter should be there.
    If you fail to make it out of group 3 years in a row and finish outside top 10 in league 3 years in a row then your rights to be there are taken away and your only way back in is top 4 finish.
    :D

I know you are a man of 'zany' posts, but this is just downright baffling.

According to James Pearce from Klopp (via a different twitter account).
    lfcstuff ‏@stuffIfc
    Klopp: "Is the [transfer] activity all over? I have no idea. I don’t think so. We will see what happens." #lfc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What's stupid is comparing Irish league to Premier League.
    But like I said, well done to them. I just can't help but feel Liverpool could win Irish League.:rolleyes:

No they couldn't.

Dundalk play in the League of Ireland, which is different, :rolleyes:

5starpool wrote: »
    I know you are a man of 'zany' posts, but this is just downright baffling.

Yes it is.
    But this is what the big clubs want. The want to create a break away Champions League where the likes of Liverpool, Man U are there by right due to the revenue they bring. They argue that the world is robbed almost of epic
    Champions League matches because each year too many big revenue clubs are missing. Who would not want to see Liverpool v Man u over 2 legs in a Champions League Semi or Quarter . We all would but very unlikely. They want Champions league to be like Premier League. Liverpool do not need to qualify for Premier League, neither does Man U.
    They want the Champions League to be like that, where the huge clubs with huge world wide following are there by right, just like in their leagues.

Yes it is.
    But this is what the big clubs want. The want to create a break away Champions League where the likes of Liverpool, Man U are there by right due to the revenue they bring. They argue that the world is robbed almost of epic
    Champions League matches because each year too many big revenue clubs are missing. Who would not want to see Liverpool v Man u over 2 legs in a Champions League Semi or Quarter . We all would but very unlikely. They want Champions league to be like Premier League. Liverpool do not need to qualify for Premier League, neither does Man U.
    They want the Champions League to be like that, where the huge clubs with huge world wide following are there by right, just like in their leagues.

Well they kinda do, they need not to be relegated the year before.

No team should have a god given right to be in the champions league every year.

Yes it is.

That is what some people want alright. I don't agree though. Personally I'd love to see a situation where there are unseeded open draws (with some tiered entry points so that the latest teams enter is the last 64) until they get to a last 16, and then maybe have 4 groups of 4 to get the top 8 teams for the quarter finals. Lots of big games, excitement and a random element. Keep the qualification system similar to what it is now, and let the EL mirror it, with no teams dropping from the CL into the EL at any point.

This would mean that a team joining at last 64 stage would take only 15 games to win it. There would probably be some one sided games in the early rounds, but the prospect of Bayern vs Barca in September rather than April would be great, and the groups would very likely be more competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

. I just can't help but feel Liverpool could win Irish League.:rolleyes:

With the same budget?

Apples and oranges ....

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    With the same budget?

Apples and oranges ....

Well with the winnings from the LOI of 100k instead of the paltry PL revenue, Liverpool would be set up for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The sad part is he probably didn't know that.

Well with the winnings from the LOI of 100k instead of the paltry PL revenue, Liverpool would be set up for years.

But They would be boosted by partnerships with Insomnia Coffee, supervalu, your local car dealership and Supermacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

The **** talk is strong in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    The **** talk is strong in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

What the hell happened to this lovely thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

emo72 wrote: »
    What the hell happened to this lovely thread?

The Man Utd thread stole our Pandas!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100540893&postcount=5954

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Just a quick reminder.

It's our year.

J Mysterio wrote: »

Change speed to 0.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

1049295932-angry-baby-panda-funny.jpg

THEY CAN TAKE OUR FN PERCH BUT NOT THE FN PANDA'S!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

ShamoBuc wrote: »

He has the top 5 stupidest posts covered. Talks some sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

There are a HELL of a lot worse on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Want to feel better about yourselves. Chelsea are doing a utd and bringing Lukaku back for an obscene amount of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Vicxas wrote: »
    Want to feel better about yourselves. Chelsea are doing a utd and bringing Lusaka back for an obscene amount of money.

Ya who now? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Toby's just ****ing with y'all.

End of thread madness has kicked in it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

kfallon wrote: »
    Ya who now? :confused:

Damn phones autocorrect. Fixed now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

What we need is a nice steady velocity of posts so we are onto a brand shiny new thread the day the season starts

Futurama-End-is-Near-250.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Article/Tribute to Dalglish, for anyone interested

http://www.football365.com/news/portrait-of-an-icon-kenny-dalglish

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement