Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Read it earlier, really enjoyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Knex. wrote: »
    Article/Tribute to Dalglish, for anyone interested

http://www.football365.com/news/portrait-of-an-icon-kenny-dalglish

Great piece - as are most of the entries in the 'Portrait of an Icon' series. Daniel Storey tweeted during the week that they are being compiled into a book and will be released early next year with the proceeds going to charity.

Only addition I would make to the piece is something I always feel goes unmentioned when it comes to Dalglish. His second spell was dominated by the Suarez/Evra mess (please lets not go there again!!) but he also delivered the only trophy we won in the last decade.

It may "only" be the League Cup but you can't beat the feeling of winning a trophy as far as I'm concerned. So while I missed Dalglish the first time out, I'm glad I have that memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Same was great to win something under dalglish as my uncles always talked about the days of him being a player then manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hector would be a brilliant signing, he's nothing spectacular just gives everything and remembers first and foremost he is a defender. Having two dependable solid full backs (clyne) would make us so much stronger defensively.
    Hector has a good attacking game too and Clyne's is forever improving.

Get the defence sorted in this window and we can put all our focus on that CM we need in January or next summer.
    I wanted see a new starting GK,LB and CM this summer, I'd happily settled for 2 out of 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Vicxas wrote: »
    Want to feel better about yourselves. Chelsea are doing a utd and bringing Lukaku back for an obscene amount of money.

Would be funny if Pogba signed today as it is 4 years today that he went to Juve :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Would be funny if Pogba signed today as it is 4 years today that he went to Juve :pac:

I say we do the opposite - brign back Suarez for 500,000...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I say we do the opposite - brign back Suarez for 500,000...

if only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I see Bad News Barrett has rocked up at sportsjoe, as chief football writer. Slightly surprised, looks like the site is seriously ramping up in terms of substance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

corwill wrote: »
    I see Bad News Barrett has rocked up at sportsjoe, as chief football writer. Slightly surprised, looks like the site is seriously ramping up in terms of substance.

Spotted that. Joe.ie are bottom of the barrel stuff for the most part. Click bait nonsense and they report everything as if its a fact.

"This is Class" "This is savage" "This wins the internet for the day" and it might end up being a man tripping on a twig.

Barrett has a good reputation though so it will be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

corwill wrote: »

Dion Fanning is already there. That's two pretty big captures for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Great piece - as are most of the entries in the 'Portrait of an Icon' series. Daniel Storey tweeted during the week that they are being compiled into a book and will be released early next year with the proceeds going to charity.

Only addition I would make to the piece is something I always feel goes unmentioned when it comes to Dalglish. His second spell was dominated by the Suarez/Evra mess (please lets not go there again!!) but he also delivered the only trophy we won in the last decade.

It may "only" be the League Cup but you can't beat the feeling of winning a trophy as far as I'm concerned. So while I missed Dalglish the first time out, I'm glad I have that memory.

It was the only domestic cup that he didn't win as a manager the first time around so it was great that he won that in particular.

Also got us to the FA Cup final that year.

joe123 wrote: »
    Spotted that. Joe.ie are bottom of the barrel stuff for the most part. Click bait nonsense and they report everything as if its a fact.

"This is Class" "This is savage" "This wins the internet for the day" and it might end up being a man tripping on a twig.

hqdefault.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Those Joe websites are awful.

Anyhow, I'm more interested now in seeing if Turty can finish 4th in the list of posters for this thread once it is locked. It'll be very apt given who his (real) idols are. Current top 10:

Harry Palmr 639
    Agent Coulson 529
    5starpool 270
    NukaCola 268
    Turtyturd 267
    corwill 259
    J Mysterio 252
    martyos121 247
    Augeo 244
    Kerrigooney 229

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

5starpool wrote: »
    Anyhow, I'm more interested now in seeing if Turty can finish 4th in the list of posters for this thread once it is locked. It'll be very apt given who his (real) idols are. Current top 10:

Harry Palmr 639
    Agent Coulson 529
    5starpool 270
    NukaCola 268
    Turtyturd 267
    corwill 259
    J Mysterio 252
    martyos121 247
    Augeo 244
    Kerrigooney 229

Jesus i've really fallen off the wagon this thread, i blame my holliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Vicxas wrote: »
    Jesus i've really fallen off the wagon this thread, i blame my holliers.

Not appearing on this list is a good thing, means you have a life outside of football forums!

garra wrote: »
    Not appearing on this list is a good thing, means you have a life outside of football forums!
    Yeah but nobody online respects you and your cred goes to shít fam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Or you're like me and writing and deleting hundreds of posts before posting them as you know they won't get any thanks and your ego can't handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Getting his focus back after a hard few months.. He probably needed to blow off some steam after what he went through but blew it off in the wrong place.

https://twitter.com/mamadousakho/status/760845519031705600

Getting his focus back after a hard few months.. He probably needed to blow off some steam after what he went through but blew it off in the wrong place.

https://twitter.com/mamadousakho/status/760845519031705600

Jesus, the replies to that tweet are proof that social media is the home of idiots that tend to drown out the sanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Is it really worth living that life knowing you cant get into the top 4 though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Those Joe websites are awful.

Agreed but I am amazed by how many 'lads' use it and quote from it. Same as the Journal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Harry Palmr 639
    Agent Coulson 529

5starpool 270
    NukaCola 268
    Turtyturd 267
    corwill 259
    J Mysterio 252
    martyos121 247
    Augeo 244
    Kerrigooney 229

Bloody hell lads are ye never off the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

NukaCola wrote: »
    Is it really worth living that life knowing you cant get into the top 4 though?

Think how head wrecking it is for Arsenal fans with everybody trying to come fourth :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

murpho999 wrote: »
    Bloody hell lads are ye never off the internet?

Yes, this is my first post here today and it's gone 5! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Harry Palmr 639
    Agent Coulson 529
    5starpool 270
    NukaCola 268
    Turtyturd 267
    corwill 259
    J Mysterio 252
    martyos121 247
    Augeo 244
    Kerrigooney 229

The most crucial stat though is thanks per post. Come back to us when you have that calculated. That way we can see who's the best at in-jokes and petty digs, you know, the important stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm Southampton from the 90s in regards to posting. Hanging around the bottom but escape relegation narrowly near the end.
    I like also to think that every now and then I have a post that akin to a Le Tisser wonder goal and the rest of the time, I'm a big lazy git.

Looks like City may have have bought Sterling's replacements cheeky cheap bid to "Bring Raheem Home":pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Looks like City may have have bought Sterling's replacements cheeky cheap bid to "Bring Raheem Home":pac:

Is he finally going to London then? The little bollocks.

I would almost consider it on the basis of him firing Aidy Ward but even then I think its probably too late for him. He behaved badly and I dont really want to welcome him back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd rather not have him to be honest.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'd rather not have him to be honest.

Yeah. He should have listened to ol' Brendan.

Many predicted he would fail and thats seemingly happened. Surprised tbh. I would have think Guardiola would like him though.

Sane and Sterling play on different sides... Nolito is the guy who likely will be his competition.

I'd love to have him back. His agent got in his ear and he moved to a bigger club... he may not have handled it the best but i don't hold a grudge with him. He wasn't remotely as bad last year as people made him out to be either, just wasn't good enough to justify the fee.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    he may not have handled it the best but i don't hold a grudge with him.

Aah, theres nothing like a good grudge in football and Raheem is a good candidate. I only just about forgave Torres when he resigned for Athletico.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Sane and Sterling play on different sides... Nolito is the guy who likely will be his competition.

I'd love to have him back. His agent got in his ear and he moved to a bigger club... he may not have handled it the best but i don't hold a grudge with him. He wasn't remotely as bad last year as people made him out to be either, just wasn't good enough to justify the fee.

They just signed the next Brazilian wonderkid about two hours ago for £30m.

oops... well then he may well be gone. Tho tbh he could do a job at CAM for them. Felt he was at his best there for us.

• Advertisement

They signed Jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

City seem to be all attack and no defence.

Silva, De Bryune, Aguero, Sterling, Sane, Nolito, Jesus, Navas and Bony (both of them must be out the door) and Iheanacho

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Aah, theres nothing like a good grudge in football and Raheem is a good candidate. I only just about forgave Torres when he resigned for Athletico.

Nando i wasn't even angry. I was truly heartbroken. I'll never love another footballer the same way again. It might sound hyperbole but its not. Granted it happened at a time when football became a little less important to me anyway (as in my whole weekend isn't ruined if we draw on a saturday - just that night) but i was so gutted. I think looking back its hard for anyone to blame him. Some people said he downed tools but i don't think it was a case of downing tools as much as zero motivation. The owners/Roy had beaten it out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Gabriel Jesus doesn't join Man City until January 2017, so Sterling still has a few months to convince Pep.

That's some serious buying they've done though: Nolito (£14m), Gundogan (£20m), Sane (£37m), Gabriel Jesus (£27m), Zinchenko (£2m), Marlos Moreno (£8m).

Almost enough for a Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Some of the stuff about Sterling is pretty pathetic.

He had a fairly strong season last season by any standards for an attacking player, but even more so considering it was a struggling team, it was his first season there and he was only 20/21.

Dunno why people assume Sane is a replacement when Sterling had a better season in a more difficult league (and the CL).

Sheer bitterness for a player who was ultimately doing right by himself, as he should.

• Advertisement

I'd have him back.

We are fairly lacking quality in wide areas tbh.

Klopp could do wonders with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

City seem to be all attack and no defence.

Silva, De Bryune, Aguero, Sterling, Sane, Nolito, Jesus, Navas and Bony (both of them must be out the door) and Iheanacho

Nasri too but surely he's nearly gone also

8-10 wrote: »
    Nasri too but surely he's nearly gone also

Eating his way out the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I'd have him back.

We are fairly lacking quality in wide areas tbh.

Klopp could do wonders with him

Couldn't have left on much worse terms. Him and Aidy Ward virtually rewrote the book on forcing your way out of a club. Don't think the fans would be too happy to see him back although if anyone could sell it to them it'd be Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Disappointed City have gotten Gabriel Jesus. A Brazilian buddy here is a lifelong Palmeiras fan, has been going on about him for months as being the best young talent he's seen in a long time.

He also said he's extremely stupid though, plays purely on instinct, so will be interesting to see how he might fit into Pep's regimented style of play.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Disappointed City have gotten Gabriel Jesus. A Brazilian buddy here is a lifelong Palmeiras fan, has been going on about him for months as being the best young talent he's seen in a long time.

He also said he's extremely stupid though, plays purely on instinct, so will be interesting to see how he might fit into Pep's regimented style of play.

Know who else plays purely on instinct though? Thomas Muller, seems to work pretty well for him.

Not gonna lie, I'm jealous about this one, he's a fantastic signing from the bits and pieces and I've seen and read about him. The only worry I have is whether he'd be able to cut it in the PL right away. La Liga might be a better fit for him at the minute.

Couldn't have left on much worse terms. Him and Aidy Ward virtually rewrote the book on forcing your way out of a club. Don't think the fans would be too happy to see him back although if anyone could sell it to them it'd be Klopp.

Yeah true.

It would be forgotten about if he started to play well.

It's not gonna happen anyway. City would want probably huge money and there's better value out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Luis Suarez just scored the most Luis Suarez goal ever.

I miss that man :(

Also, that new Leicester fella (Musa) i think his name is, just made a show of the Barca defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

martyos121 wrote: »
    Know who else plays purely on instinct though? Thomas Muller, seems to work pretty well for him.

Not gonna lie, I'm jealous about this one, he's a fantastic signing from the bits and pieces and I've seen and read about him. The only worry I have is whether he'd be able to cut it in the PL right away. La Liga might be a better fit for him at the minute.

Yeah, I mean, as i said, my buddy is insistent he'll be an absolute star.

It could just be an interesting conflict in styles. Pep likes players that look up, and play as a team. From what i've been told, Gabriel keeps his head down and runs for goal (and is extremely effective at this).... but isn't much of a one for building moves and getting assists. But has tremendous ability and is young so could potentially be taught.

My buddy, (from Sao Paulo), is of the opinion this comes from too much in the way of street football. We always hear so much about the English/Irish game suffering from a lack of this flair, but he sees it as the opposite end of the spectrum. Kids with no education whatsoever (like Jesus) who's only chance to get out of the favela's is football. And that this leads to a lack of team play as impressing and standing out is more important even than winning until they get picked up by a proper club, and by then they've missed vital stages of development. Reckons there's a happy medium where kids have the street football, but also a more regimented formal footballing (and real world) education, or they just won't progress at the highest levels regardless of natural talent.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean, as i said, my buddy is insistent he'll be an absolute star.

It could just be an interesting conflict in styles. Pep likes players that look up, and play as a team. From what i've been told, Gabriel keeps his head down and runs for goal (and is extremely effective at this).... but isn't much of a one for building moves and getting assists. But has tremendous ability and is young so could potentially be taught.

My buddy, (from Sao Paulo), is of the opinion this comes from too much in the way of street football. We always hear so much about the English/Irish game suffering from a lack of this flair, but he sees it as the opposite end of the spectrum. Kids with no education whatsoever (like Jesus) who's only chance to get out of the favela's is football. And that this leads to a lack of team play as impressing and standing out is more important even than winning until they get picked up by a proper club, and by then they've missed vital stages of development. Reckons there's a happy medium where kids have the street football, but also a more regimented formal footballing (and real world) education, or they just won't progress at the highest levels regardless of natural talent.

Your mate makes a lot of good points, those kids playing street football who make it to the big time (Luis Suarez actually made it that way too come to think of it) are usually missing out on a good football education and rely on flair and trickery to stand out and make themselves known. Players like Suarez and Neymar had the work ethic to make themselves much more than that (in Suarez's case moving to the Netherlands was the best thing he could've done given the academies there), and those are just two recent examples, there's loads more who have done the same to succeed in Europe.

The team aspect of the game is more important than ever now as well, Atletico and Leicester have recently enjoyed huge success from operating as cohesive units and not from doing a million stepovers and turns like you'd see in the Brasileiro (not that there isn't more to the game there, it's just what stands out straight away). Even Leicester have that type of skillful player in Mahrez, but when you buy into the team mentality and work on that more than anything else, you can see what is possible.

I think Guardiola is the perfect man to turn this kid into a superstar though, passing the ball will become second nature to him in no time. Pep gets a bit of stick for the type of football he likes his teams to play (which is mostly unwarranted in my opinion) but he has a great track record in developing young players into complete and high quality footballers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement