Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

martyos121 wrote: »
    Your mate makes a lot of good points, those kids playing street football who make it to the big time (Luis Suarez actually made it that way too come to think of it) are usually missing out on a good football education and rely on flair and trickery to stand out and make themselves known. Players like Suarez and Neymar had the work ethic to make themselves much more than that (in Suarez's case moving to the Netherlands was the best thing he could've done given the academies there), and those are just two recent examples, there's loads more who have done the same to succeed in Europe.

The team aspect of the game is more important than ever now as well, Atletico and Leicester have recently enjoyed huge success from operating as cohesive units and not from doing a million stepovers and turns like you'd see in the Brasileiro (not that there isn't more to the game there, it's just what stands out straight away). Even Leicester have that type of skillful player in Mahrez, but when you buy into the team mentality and work on that more than anything else, you can see what is possible.

I think Guardiola is the perfect man to turn this kid into a superstar though, passing the ball will become second nature to him in no time. Pep gets a bit of stick for the type of football he likes his teams to play (which is mostly unwarranted in my opinion) but he has a great track record in developing young players into complete and high quality footballers.

It's all about the team and not a group of individuals. Hopefully Klopp can get our shower breaking their backs for each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Pep gets a bit of stick for the type of football he likes his teams to play

You don't find tiki taka mind-numbingly boring after a while no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

You don't find tiki taka mind-numbingly boring after a while no?

Depends on the opponent really, tiki-taka is only hard to watch when the other team sets up not to lose. Any other time, it's good, high-quality entertaining football.

Except for Rodgers-tiki-taka, that was just plain ineffective while it lasted.

But yeah, I'd be a fairly big fan of Pep and the way he gets his team's playing, but a lot aren't fond of it and I accept that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Depends on the opponent really, tiki-taka is only hard to watch when the other team sets up not to lose. Any other time, it's good, high-quality entertaining football.

Except for Rodgers-tiki-taka, that was just plain ineffective while it lasted.

But yeah, I'd be a fairly big fan of Pep and the way he gets his team's playing, but a lot aren't fond of it and I accept that.

Thankfully it didn't last long.

That's fair enough. Not a fan of it myself but each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

https://twitter.com/Moley_LFC/status/760952787270270976

Pinch of salt and all that. Benteke interesting Sunderland and Everton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Can see him being a good fit at Everton. If they get what's reported for Lukaku we might even make a profit on him. He's too good for Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Shouldn't do business with Everton. He'd be a good signing for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

8-10 wrote: »
    Shouldn't do business with Everton. He'd be a good signing for them.

This....

Sunderland please...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

id rather sell him to everton than let him rot at pool though

• Advertisement

id rather sell him to everton than let him rot at pool though
    And as we know they have a nice pot of money, it'll be nice to be the one turning the screw for a change:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If the achilles injury, and also the knee injury he suffered last year, haven't permanently slowed Benteke down, then I think he could easily be a 20 goal a season striker for Everton.

I'd rather he didn't go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Sunderland won't spend 30m on one player, I'd sell to Everton if it means saving 100k off the wage bill as he won't get games for us.

We should cancel Mario's contract pay a few million to get rid at this stage it's embarrassing having him associated with LFC.

Sunderland won't spend 30m on one player, I'd sell to Everton if it means saving 100k off the wage bill as he won't get games for us.

We should cancel Mario's contract pay a few million to get rid at this stage it's embarrassing having him associated with LFC.

Ajax have apparently had preliminary talks but just aren't committing unless Champions League group stage is assured.

Ajax can meet any of AS Roma, Steaua Bucuresti, AS Monaco, Young Boys or Rostov in the playoff round after a very nervy victory against PAOK last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ajax have apparently had preliminary talks but just aren't committing unless Champions League group stage is assured.

Ajax can meet any of AS Roma, Steaua Bucuresti, AS Monaco, Young Boys or Rostov in the playoff round after a very nervy victory against PAOK last night!

Crikey, how far has Mario's star fallen to be considering Ajax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Crikey, how far has Ajax's star fallen to be considering Mario.

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Crikey, how far has Mario's star fallen to be considering Ajax.

Ajax far too good of a club to be considering Mario being honest.......

Knex. wrote: »
    If the achilles injury, and also the knee injury he suffered last year, haven't permanently slowed Benteke down, then I think he could easily be a 20 goal a season striker for Everton.

I'd rather he didn't go there.

If it means that Benteke is replacing Lukaku I see no downside in selling to them.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

NukaCola wrote: »
    If it means that Benteke is replacing Lukaku I see no downside in selling to them.....

Quite, Lukaku is a better player but clearly no Origi.

It's going to be some 4-managers-per-season basket-case in Italy, or some Turkish club that will stop paying him in November for insulting their honour or some such. Actually, I think we're at least as likely to be stuck with him.

Not really sure it's "too good a club", it's just a bad fit. When you look at the fact that whomever is brought in is going to be brought in to replace Arek Milik, it just doesn't look right. Cassierra, Dolberg and El Ghazi should all be getting time in attacking areas this season along with Younes and Zivkovic. I don't see Balotelli up top being anymore than just rotation with these players.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Didnt another team try this last year with Mario too??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Hey folks i put this in the soccer tickets thread but thought id try here too just in case.

Looking for 2 tickets to Chelsea V Liverpool on September 16th if anyone hears of any. Its the Friday night game.

Cheers

Not really sure it's "too good a club", it's just a bad fit.

Any club willing to bring in Mario must be in a desperate state to sign a striker.

The fact that Ajax are looking should be an absolute gift for Mario, something he does not deserve and if it happens will probably go on to make a bollix of himself there or amount to nothing. Ajax are a club above his level and Mario is a bad fit anywhere.

The guy is done at the top level and is delusional. Wants to be a Ballon D'or winner but is out smoking and wasting in the reserves. His head is in space.

An absolute disaster signing, up there with the worst we ever made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Ardent

BalotellI was a panic buy for us, a signing of last resort. Maybe Ajax are in a similar position.

All I know is Milan were laughing all the way to the bank a couple of seasons ago.

Any club willing to bring in Mario must be in a desperate state to sign a striker.

The fact that Ajax are looking should be an absolute gift for Mario, something he does not deserve and if it happens will probably go on to make a bollix of himself there or amount to nothing. Ajax are a club above his level and Mario is a bad fit anywhere.

The guy is done at the top level and is delusional. Wants to be a Ballon D'or winner but is out smoking and wasting in the reserves. His head is in space.

An absolute disaster signing, up there with the worst we ever made.
    Unfortunately, I agree.

The one thing that keeps coming into my head is Anelka in the years after he left Arsenal, he just was a waste of space. But signing for Bolton seemed to have tightened that loose screw in his head and he finished up his career on a high.

Maybe Mario needs a year or two fighting for career at a lower level to give him the kick up the posterior he needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

gafferino wrote: »
    Hey folks i put this in the soccer tickets thread but thought id try here too just in case.

Looking for 2 tickets to Chelsea V Liverpool on September 16th if anyone hears of any. Its the Friday night game.

Cheers
    And I'm looking for 2 for Hull on Sept 24th, but may wait and buy in the city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He doesn't look happy at all in that picture.

I think he wanted the move to Liverpool more than Liverpool wanted him.

He's only wearing a scarf.
    He wore a Liverpool shirt with his name on the back a few weeks ago!

Weird how it turned out I suppose, hopefully one we wont regret.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Looking forward to Saturday even though we'll probably lose. Still no substitute for the real thing as well. I wonder what the squad travelling to Germany for the Sunday game will be? Mix and match? Fringe players, or just the u-23 squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

5starpool wrote: »
    Looking forward to Saturday even though we'll probably lose. Still no substitute for the real thing as well. I wonder what the squad travelling to Germany for the Sunday game will be? Mix and match? Fringe players, or just the u-23 squad?

I was always baffled by the Sunday match, it will surely be fringe/u-23's

He doesn't look happy at all in that picture.

I think he wanted the move to Liverpool more than Liverpool wanted him.

Anything involving Italian clubs is baffling at the time. In time, we'll learn of the horde of agents and bottle washers whose interests were better served by the Napoli move, I expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Same. I'm heading over as I haven't been to Wembley, so that should be an experience in itself.

Half of me wants Suarez to run riot, the other half dreads the idea.

Knex. wrote: »
    Same. I'm heading over as I haven't been to Wembley, so that should be an experience in itself.

Half of me wants Suarez to run riot, the other half dreads the idea.

It should be like a testimonial, he should swap sides at half time :pac:

Seriously though, there won't be many in our team he'll have played with before. Mignolet, Henderson (if he starts), Sturridge (if he starts) will be about it surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Unfortunately, I agree.

The one thing that keeps coming into my head is Anelka in the years after he left Arsenal, he just was a waste of space. But signing for Bolton seemed to have tightened that loose screw in his head and he finished up his career on a high.

Maybe Mario needs a year or two fighting for career at a lower level to give him the kick up the posterior he needs.

In no way can you compare Anelka to Mario. Anelka played on loan with the pool and was very good. Major mistake by Houlier not to keep him. I think he brought in Diouf instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

It should be like a testimonial, he should swap sides at half time :pac:

Seriously though, there won't be many in our team he'll have played with before. Mignolet, Henderson (if he starts), Sturridge (if he starts) will be about it surely.
    Coutinho, lucas is that it?

amber69 wrote: »
    In no way can you compare Anelka to Mario. Anelka played on loan with the pool and was very good. Major mistake by Houlier not to keep him. I think he brought in Diouf instead.

Both had roughly the same amount of starts, Anelka scored 1 goal more than Mario. Mario scored arguably more important goals.

You don't have to go back too far to find a striker worse for us than Balotelli....Iago Aspas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Both had roughly the same amount of starts, Anelka scored 1 goal more than Mario. Mario scored arguably more important goals.

You don't have to go back too far to find a striker worse for us than Balotelli....Iago Aspas

Balo < Aspas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Anelka did so much more though, like, on the pitch. If Mario isn't scoring goals, he's not doing anything.

Mario got a lot more chances to impress than Aspas. Aspas got 400 minutes of game time and couldn't break into a team with Suarez and Sturridge.

I'm not sure I'd rate Aspas transfer as worse. His signing wasn't as important as Mario's was, he was a backup on low wages and by and large we made a relatively low loss on him. Mario will cost us big at the end of his contract and was by and large useless. 4 goals is a terrible record and for the money is easily a worse transfer for us by some distance. Both Aspas and Mario were not the players we needed though.

I was more comparing both at the same stage in their careers. If Balotelli found some motivation, like Anelka did, he could become a major player, like Anelka did.

But I doubt it will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Good player, Anelka. Playing for Mumbai now apparently!

Coutinho, lucas is that it?

How could I forget Coutinho!

Lucas won't be playing for sure as he is still injured. Same for Sakho who was at the club with Suarez too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

The only player who looked less interested than Balotelli recently was victor Moses. Not much between the 2 for my most hated signing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Martin Odegaard anyone? Links all over the cheap end of the media. Apparently Madrid would like him to spend the season in Bundesliga but his dad is hoping Klopp is interested.

hefferboi wrote: »
    The only player who looked less interested than Balotelli recently was victor Moses. Not much between the 2 for my most hated signing.

Mine is still Joe Cole. Even as a free transfer he was beyond useless, clearly only signed for the money like most Bosmans.

Martin Odegaard anyone? Links all over the cheap end of the media. Apparently Madrid would like him to spend the season in Bundesliga but his dad is hoping Klopp is interested.

He rejected us once and he's turned out to be all hype and no substance. He can stay away from us for good now, don't care that he's a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Waste of time. He'd be taking playing time off our young players that need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mine is still Joe Cole. Even as a free transfer he was beyond useless, clearly only signed for the money like most Bosmans.
    Wouldn't be too harsh on Cole - his legs were totally gone when he signed for us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement