Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

martyos121 wrote: »
    He rejected us once and he's turned out to be all hype and no substance. He can stay away from us for good now, don't care that he's a Liverpool fan.

True and it's no sort of a deal for Liverpool either - the guy is on a million a year! It's not helping him get that German loan and there is no way Klopp would take him and rob say Ojo or Grujic of game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Martin Odegaard anyone? Links all over the cheap end of the media. Apparently Madrid would like him to spend the season in Bundesliga but his dad is hoping Klopp is interested.
    Not on a loan.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Martin Odegaard anyone? Links all over the cheap end of the media. Apparently Madrid would like him to spend the season in Bundesliga but his dad is hoping Klopp is interested.

A 17 year old on loan isn't what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Wouldn't be too harsh on Cole - his legs were totally gone when he signed for us.

Hence why he shouldn't have been signed in the first place.

We should compromise and blame it on Hodgson. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭mormank

5starpool wrote: »
    Looking forward to Saturday even though we'll probably lose. Still no substitute for the real thing as well. I wonder what the squad travelling to Germany for the Sunday game will be? Mix and match? Fringe players, or just the u-23 squad?

True but as of monday the football is back cos monday will be just like any other monday during the season with football the following saturday. :D

mormank wrote: »
    True but as of monday the football is back cos monday will be just like any other monday during the season with football the following saturday. :D

Nice try ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We already have the "Next" Martin Odegaard in the youth ranks Edvard Tagseth so need for the real one :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Better klopp develops our own youth players rather than madrids. Only take odegaard if its permenant not a loan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

True and it's no sort of a deal for Liverpool either - the guy is on a million a year! It's not helping him get that German loan and there is no way Klopp would take him and rob say Ojo or Grujic of game time.
    Iirc, wasn't there a lot of talk about him being guaranteed training with the senior squad and appearances for the first team as a condition of him signing for Real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Iirc, wasn't there a lot of talk about him being guaranteed training with the senior squad and appearances for the first team as a condition of him signing for Real?

Real Madrid in not being entirely honest shocker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He rejected us once and he's turned out to be all hype and no substance. He can stay away from us for good now, don't care that he's a Liverpool fan.

Meh, wouldn't take it too personally. He had offers from nigh on every club in Europe, and he and his family picked the one they thought was right for them. Fandom should have nothing to do with decisions like that for any right thinking person.

No reason for us to take him on loan though, he simply wouldn't play much, would be a waste of everyones time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Mine is still Joe Cole. Even as a free transfer he was beyond useless, clearly only signed for the money like most Bosmans.

Diouf would have to be my least favourite signing, I'd make him captain of Liverpools worst XI. What an absolute bell end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Diouf would have to be my least favourite signing, I'd make him captain of Liverpools worst XI. What an absolute bell end.

Bogdan in goal, Kochesky LB, Degan RB....

8-10 wrote: »
    Bogdan in goal, Kochesky LB, Degan RB....

I think Charles Itandje has the keeper position sewn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I'd have Dicks at LB, if it's about personality rather than ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Antonio Nunez was another fucking helmet.

Made it all the worse that we got him and a measly 8m from Madrid for Owen. He looked like that kid in PE who barely had the coordination to move in a straight line, running about in a Liverpool jersey two sizes too big for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Knex. wrote: »
    Antonio Nunez was another fucking helmet.

Made it all the worse that we got him and a measly 8m from Madrid for Owen. He looked like that kid in PE who barely had the coordination to move in a straight line, running about in a Liverpool jersey two sizes too big for him.

If the club had woken up in a bath full of ice in a Juarez hotel minus a pair of kidneys, it couldn't have been ****ed any more savagely than on that deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Aquilani pulling the strings in the midfield.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

NukaCola wrote: »

His hamstrings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If it's a case of players that underwhelmed, he'll be joined in midfield by Bruno Cheyrou and Salif Diao I think.

Nunez right wing forward, Mark Gonzalez left wing forward, Diouf up top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Has everyone forgotten Paul Stewart? :)

Honestly though - big name signings who turned out to be underwhelming were mostly strikers who ended up playing on the right wing: Saunders, Collymore, Kuyt (I'll forgive him though), Cisse, Diouf..
    add failed strikers like Benteke, Ballotelli, Borini, Voronin, Kewell (not specifically a striker, but was played there occasionally do try and get something from him!), Aspas, Dundee, Keane, etc

How much was spend on all those????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Can he play at left back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

joe123 wrote: »
    Spotted that. Joe.ie are bottom of the barrel stuff for the most part. Click bait nonsense and they report everything as if its a fact.

"This is Class" "This is savage" "This wins the internet for the day" and it might end up being a man tripping on a twig.

Barrett has a good reputation though so it will be interesting.

aye cant stand it, they blocked me on FB for posting the 'punch line' to their click bait in the comments...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

You don't find tiki taka mind-numbingly boring after a while no?

I can't watch it.. bores the crap out of me...

Knex. wrote: »
    His hamstrings?

:pac: he never really had that issue though did he? It was ankles issues when he was with us if I remember correctly, which I dont really want to being honest....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

:pac: he never really had that issue though did he? It was ankles issues when he was with us if I remember correctly, which I dont really want to being honest....

Was up against it from the moment he signed given the fact that he was there to fill Alonso's shoes. Christ, the thought gives me shivers still.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

Bring back Konchesky for the left back position :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Most Premier League defensive errors since 2013/14:

Liverpool (104)
    Arsenal (86)
    Everton (85)
    Spurs (73)

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/760569888825978880

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Liverpool (104)
    Arsenal (86)
    Everton (85)
    Spurs (73)

Sounds about right, although thought Everton would have more

• Advertisement

Liverpool (104)
    Arsenal (86)
    Everton (85)
    Spurs (73)

Wonder what a defensive error is defined as.

All I could get was "Goalkeepers dropping crosses, defenders supplying under-hit back passes, whatever the mishap, they all count."

Errors leading to goals since 2013/14 could point to our mistakes not being really big. If we made 104 mistakes and conceded 33 then 31% of or mistakes were fatal compared to 50% for Spurs for example. We would need to see what errors was made to get a better picture I would guess.

Errors leading to goals since 2013/14
    Spurs (37)
    Liverpool (33)
    Everton (30)
    Arsenal (23)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

mosstin wrote: »

The key things from that article are:-

“If you bring one player in for £100m or whatever and he gets injured then it all goes through the chimney,” said Klopp on the subject of this summer’s ludicrous transfer market.

“The day that this is football, I’m not in a job any more, because the game is about playing together. Other clubs can go out and spend more money and collect top players, yes. Do I have to do it differently to that? Actually, I want to do it differently. I would even do it differently if I could spend that money. If I spend money it is because I am trying to build a real team. You can win championships, you can win titles, but maybe there is a manner in which you want it. It is about how it is.”

“This is my squad now, this time it is my team,” Klopp has said. “There are probably no players here any more I don’t want. There are no signings I didn’t want, we have not sold anyone I didn’t want to.”

I love that he wants to do things the way he believes they should be done. No quick fixes or trying to buy success by bringing in players who are already fully developed. He's a coach who wants to mould young raw talent into something special and FSG have just given him a 6 year contract.

Lock and load, we're in for one hell of a ride.

It's Kloppo time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The key things from that article are:-

“If you bring one player in for £100m or whatever and he gets injured then it all goes through the chimney,” said Klopp on the subject of this summer’s ludicrous transfer market.

“The day that this is football, I’m not in a job any more, because the game is about playing together. Other clubs can go out and spend more money and collect top players, yes. Do I have to do it differently to that? Actually, I want to do it differently. I would even do it differently if I could spend that money. If I spend money it is because I am trying to build a real team. You can win championships, you can win titles, but maybe there is a manner in which you want it. It is about how it is.”

“This is my squad now, this time it is my team,” Klopp has said. “There are probably no players here any more I don’t want. There are no signings I didn’t want, we have not sold anyone I didn’t want to.”

I love that he wants to do things the way he believes they should be done. No quick fixes or trying to buy success by bringing in players who are already fully developed. He's a coach who wants to mould young raw talent into something special and FSG have just given him a 6 year contract.

Lock and load, we're in for one hell of a ride.

It's Kloppo time :D

We still spent 55m on two players (one from a relegated club).

Its not all bargain basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

corwill wrote: »
    If the club had woken up in a bath full of ice in a Juarez hotel minus a pair of kidneys, it couldn't have been ****ed any more savagely than on that deal.

Worked out OK though.

liverpool-captain-steven-gerrard-lifts-the-european-cup-after-won-picture-id52980370

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Liverpool (104)
    Arsenal (86)
    Everton (85)
    Spurs (73)

That is Skrtel's legacy. Not sure how he stayed so long at the club. Not all his fault though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

MD1990 wrote: »
    That is Skrtel's legacy. Not sure how he stayed so long at the club. Not all his fault though.

The club has had a blind spot when it comes to defending, defenders and defensive midfielders since Benitez left. It's actually mind-boggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Mark Gonzalez on one wing, Bernard Diomede on the other, JM Ferri in midfield, Sean Dundee up top...

The club has had a blind spot when it comes to defending, defenders and defensive midfielders since Benitez left. It's actually mind-boggling.

Well, we have signed a lot of defenders - Clyne, Moreno, Sakho, Lovren, Matip, Klavan, and 4 keepers!

Just not signing the right ones...

Dickerty wrote: »
    Mark Gonzalez on one wing, Bernard Diomede on the other, JM Ferri in midfield, Sean Dundee up top...
    Thanks for the reminder:(

He was better known as Diomerde around here

Salif Diao, Torben Piechnik, Mark Walters, David Speedie...

Some awful players have churned through Anfield in the last 25 years :(

• Advertisement

I guess you could say the same about every big club. We have just had fewer hits to make up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Speedie scored an equaliser against Utd at OT on his debut and followed it up the following week with 2 at home to Everton in a 3-1 win.

He scored 6 goals in 12 appearances, not bad tbh.

Now as for Jimmy Carter who was signed around the same time......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

kfallon wrote: »

Now as for Jimmy Carter who was signed around the same time......

I seem to remember Carter coming on as a sub against Arsenal, then being subbed off again a while later he was so bad

I seem to remember Carter coming on as a sub against Arsenal, then being subbed off again a while later he was so bad

I think that happened to Insua as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wonder what a defensive error is defined as.

All I could get was "Goalkeepers dropping crosses, defenders supplying under-hit back passes, whatever the mishap, they all count."

Errors leading to goals since 2013/14 could point to our mistakes not being really big. If we made 104 mistakes and conceded 33 then 31% of or mistakes were fatal compared to 50% for Spurs for example. We would need to see what errors was made to get a better picture I would guess.

Errors leading to goals since 2013/14
    Spurs (37)
    Liverpool (33)
    Everton (30)
    Arsenal (23)

That kind of sums up the stat pieces I read last season, we are about average to actually not bad at giving away few enough defensive errors, we just always it seems get punished when we do, hence the Mig, Moreno and Skrtel criticism in particular.

It would be a concern about the transfer window so far, have we improved enough at the back to cut out some of those errors? I've watched no football lately so haven't a clue, not that pre season games tell a hell of a lot anyway. The Karius injury is bad timing in that regard, Sakho as well.

Klopp isn't looking for a DM so we look like we'll be relying on Can and Hendo to put in a shift and improve from last season collectively, plus press high to force the opposition into more mistakes than us.

Overall I'm happy enough with the window so far, can't solve everything in 1 window but a solid LB would go a long way in helping us at the back. I'm sure Milner would do a job but it's a bit meh.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'll be in Krakow next weekend and want to see the Liverpool - Arsenal match on Sunday, anyone recommend a good bar (most likely an Irish one ) to watch it in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Loan deals afoot

Flanagan to Burnley
    Jones to Swindon
    Brannagan to Wigan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Presser.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/761549353056165888

Klopp on transfer activity: "Maybe one or two things can happen."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

James Milner has retired from international football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

MD1990 wrote: »

Definitely not all his fault, no. I reckon he was only responsible for about 80% of it :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement