Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ciano35 wrote: »
    James Milner has retired from international football

International football has retired from James Milner I think you'll find! :pac:

Interesting listening to Klopp, his English comprehension has come on a lot since he arrived. Looks like the club is willing to risk a player staying on the books rather than sell them at less than what's regarded as the market value.

On the loans, Brannagan to Wigan is a pity in a way but no Europe makes it necessary I suppose, Allan to Hertha is excellent, them having no EL could have kiyboshed that move. Also Ojo not mentioned so hopefully he is staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Interesting listening to Klopp, his English comprehension has come on a lot since he arrived. Looks like the club is willing to risk a player staying on the books rather than sell them at less than what's regarded as the market value.

On the loans, Brannagan to Wigan is a pity in a way but no Europe makes it necessary I suppose, Allan to Hertha is excellent, them having no EL could have kiyboshed that move. Also Ojo not mentioned so hopefully he is staying.

They don't any more - Brondby knocked them out last night.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I know, I said could have, they took him anyway.

Spurs and Arsenal games are on ITV4 today, is it a tournament? I bet Liverpool v Barca is on SKY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Flanagan confirmed off to Burnley on loan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Vicxas wrote: »

Good move for all, he looked off the pace last year which is understandable, hopefully a good season of playing week in week out will bring back the form we know he's capable of.

And...

The key things from that article are:-...............
    “This is my squad now, this time it is my team,” Klopp has said. “There are probably no players here any more I don’t want. There are no signings I didn’t want, we have not sold anyone I didn’t want to.”...........

Quite a few always maintained the squad we had wasn't too bad at all. FSG thought so too which was why Rodgers got sacked after finishing 6th in 2014/2015, if Klopp is being anyway honest/open we can only presume he doesn't think what he inherited is that bad either.

A PL bench with Mignolet, Origi, Milner, Lallana and Henderson is decent, put them on the pitch and you have Sturridge, Mane, Can and Wijnaldum/Mane on the pitch. Options to take Coutinho and Firmino out of the spotlight when they dip in form too. New options at CB too. It's looking very very good.

All considered I must say I am happy that he doesn't seem to want an out and out DM too, a top class CM would be nice but what we have might well be what we need :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I know, I said could have, they took him anyway.

Spurs and Arsenal games are on ITV4 today, is it a tournament? I bet Liverpool v Barca is on SKY.

No idea about the Spurs and Arsenal games, but our Barca one is indeed on Sky. The Mainz one is not though. Did Klopp mention anything about potential squads for the games in the presser? I didn't listen to it.

Nope, not that I was paying 100% to the whole presser. Arsenal v Liverpool is next weekend so I'm watching tonights gooner game - the starting 11 and bench are pretty appalling, they must be expecting plenty back from the phyiso room in the next seven days.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpHK4WBXYAADUzw.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Nope, not that I was paying 100% to the whole presser. Arsenal v Liverpool is next weekend so I'm watching tonights gooner game - the starting 11 and bench are pretty appalling, they must be expecting plenty back from the phyiso room in the next seven days.

Its a great time to be playing arsenal even if they have a few more players back they won't have much in the tank. The likes of ozil kos Sanchez Ramsey giroud haven't played a game yet. Liverpool's preparation has been far less disrupted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I was feeling better about that game before we lost Karius, Sakho, Matip, Grujic and Lucas, even if they're all not starters - it leaves the squad thin and vulnerable to any injuries between now and then.

Still, they've failed to make enough key signings they needed to step up a level and will apparently have 10 starters missing for next weeked, so if we can't make something of the game there's no excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Matip is back for us as well and should play over the weekend.

https://twitter.com/pjoyceexpress/status/761547701074948096

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ciano35 wrote: »
    James Milner has retired from international football
    61 - Since his debut in Aug 2009, only Rooney (63) and Hart (62) won more England caps than James Milner.

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/761586568310251520

Its a great time to be playing arsenal even if they have a few more players back they won't have much in the tank. The likes of ozil kos Sanchez Ramsey giroud haven't played a game yet. Liverpool's preparation has been far less disrupted.

They are guaranteed to beat us comprehensively then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Gbear wrote: »
    I was feeling better about that game before we lost Karius, Sakho, Matip, Grujic and Lucas, even if they're all not starters - it leaves the squad thin and vulnerable to any injuries between now and then.

Still, they've failed to make enough key signings they needed to step up a level and will apparently have 10 starters missing for next weeked, so if we can't make something of the game there's no excuses.

It's not an ideal first game for both teams, with many starters going to be missing. I fancy Liverpool to be the stronger unfortunately, but won't know till the day what both lineups will be really. I don't think the game next Sunday will really tell us too much about the fortunes of both teams going forward this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Vicxas wrote: »

Best of luck to him. Hopefully we have some full-backs in the pipeline as we are very thin at that position after Clyne and Moreno. And the less I see of Moreno the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Hi lads. I'm new to the football forum here so a quick hi.
    Lifelong Liverpool fan and up til a few years ago a regular at games but the mortgage ended that (for now)

Suppose not much point in my autobiography so I might as well jump right in.

Pretty happy with most of the ins and outs so far. I'm a long way from being a fan of Moreno at LB so that's one area I hope we're going to address.

Very sad to see Flanagan go, albeit on loan. He's as comfortable at LB as RB imo and I have full faith in Klopp but was surprised that he didn't keep Flanno.
    It was unfortunate that Flanagan was only coming back from a bad injury when Klopp took over.

Aside from that.... I don't know a lot about Grujic, well I had never heard of him prior to the deal being announced months ago. To be honest.

Delighted with the rest and quietly hoping we can add a LB (should be top priority for me) and ideally another CM if Lucas is really going.

Welcome, I'd leave now if I were you. I didn't and now look at me. Obsessed by youth prospects who'll never kick a ball for the senior side and wondering about how to watch games that are meaningless :D

Training shots, Grujic involved and looking huge.

http://www.gettyimages.ie/search/events/659792521?sort=best&excludenudity=true&phrase=&family=editorial#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Market value is what the market will pay. What the club regard as Market value is an opinion which remains just that until confirmed by a firm offer by the market.

Players who are out of the squad, not getting a game or benchwarming quickly lose form and value. Holding onto such an asset is likely to result in further loss of value when actually sold e.g. out of favour player X is valued at £15m by the club. Best offers from the market during the transfer window are £12m so club don't sell. Player sits on bench or on sidelines for six months. Next transfer window with less contract remaining, six months older and no form best offer from market for the player is £8m. Club forced to sell before further loss in value materialises.

Market value is a fact. What the club value the player at is an aspiration.

• Advertisement

Ha! Cheers Harry. And cheers for the pics :)

Just need a few pics of Mario reaching for a ball now and maybe we can convince someone to take the useless git off us. ;)

More likely to be reaching for a smoke

Market value is what the market will pay. What the club regard as Market value is an opinion which remains just that until confirmed by a firm offer by the market.

Players who are out of the squad, not getting a game or benchwarming quickly lose form and value. Holding onto such an asset is likely to result in further loss of value when actually sold e.g. out of favour player X is valued at £15m by the club. Best offers from the market during the transfer window are £12m so club don't sell. Player sits on bench or on sidelines for six months. Next transfer window with less contract remaining, six months older and no form best offer from market for the player is £8m. Club forced to sell before further loss in value materialises.

Market value is a fact. What the club value the player at is an aspiration.

Not disagreeing at all but its refreshing to see us playing hardball. We've overspent so many times and got screwed so many times selling.

Suddenly we're actually sitting tight and you know what, we'll get our fee.
    Theres so much money in the game right now (brings its own problems but that's a different debate) that we're actually gonna do well this time (assuming we're talking about Benteke here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yeah, I'd say anything about not being afraid to not sell is more a bargaining ploy than anything else. Basically, Palace better stump up the £30 Million or Benteke can play in the reserves. I'd say we'll find a stance like that softening come the 31st of August!

Whatever about Benteke it would be best to pay somebody to take Mario rather than have him hanging around Melwood all season. But barring those 2 Enrique and Skrtel are gone, Lucas wouldn't be a problem in that regard, Allen wouldn't have been either. Seems to be little word about Markovic to see if we are keeping or selling.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

K-9 wrote: »
    barring those 2 Enrique and Skrtel are gone

Anyone know what Enruque is doing with himself these days? He's only 30 so there must be some clubs out there who'll give him a trial and possibly a contract on a pay as you play type basis?

Anyone know what Enruque is doing with himself these days? He's only 30 so there must be some clubs out there who'll give him a trial and possibly a contract on a pay as you play type basis?

EA sports, he's in the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hi lads. I'm new to the football forum here so a quick hi.
    Lifelong Liverpool fan and up til a few years ago a regular at games but the mortgage ended that (for now)

Suppose not much point in my autobiography so I might as well jump right in.

Pretty happy with most of the ins and outs so far. I'm a long way from being a fan of Moreno at LB so that's one area I hope we're going to address.

Very sad to see Flanagan go, albeit on loan. He's as comfortable at LB as RB imo and I have full faith in Klopp but was surprised that he didn't keep Flanno.
    It was unfortunate that Flanagan was only coming back from a bad injury when Klopp took over.

Aside from that.... I don't know a lot about Grujic, well I had never heard of him prior to the deal being announced months ago. To be honest.

Delighted with the rest and quietly hoping we can add a LB (should be top priority for me) and ideally another CM if Lucas is really going.

All well and good, but how do you feel about the net spend, pandas and what's your choice of breakfast?

No idea mate. But I'll never forget that free kick. You just knew that was the ultimate way to say "I'm done lads"

All well and good, but how do you feel about the net spend, pandas and what's your choice of breakfast?

:D

I'm new. Not stupid. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

How about net spend on Pandas' breakfasts? I've heard it's embarrassing.

• Advertisement

Never said you were, now stop sidestepping the key issues, Mr. Trump!

Never said you were, now stop sidestepping the key issues, Mr. Trump!

Our new poster will make this thread great again.

5starpool wrote: »

... by bulding a wall around it and making Man United pay for it?!

Yeah I joined to gauge opinion before going for planning permission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Would like to see Klopp speak of titles like Rafa did. Rafa wanted to be 1st not 4th . He was not afraid to rattle the cages of Man U and Chelsea. Leadership comes from the top and it's the leaders ambition that trickles down through the ranks, having the vibe that 4th is fine is not good.

Would like to see Klopp speak of titles like Rafa did. Rafa wanted to be 1st not 4th . He was not afraid to rattle the cages of Man U and Chelsea. Leadership comes from the top and it's the leaders ambition that trickles down through the ranks, having the vibe that 4th is fine is not good.

We were 5th in Rafas first term.
    Granted we went and did the impossible in Europe. The IMPOSSIBLE.

But in the league it wasn't so pretty. 5th was especially poor that year coz I THINK everton managed 4th going on memory (could be wrong)

Its a different kettle of fish these days. Well, this coming season nyway.
    I don't mind Klopp keeping her low-key.
    Sneak 4th this season and I'll be a happy bunny personally.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »

Tough crowd.

No I'm just joining to talk about the club, you were all new on here at one stage too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Tough crowd.

you were all new on here at one stage too

Some more than once.

Fair nuff. Not me if that's what you meant.

Jesus yee really put new lads to the sword round here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Fair nuff. Not me if that's what you meant.

Jesus yee really put new lads to the sword round here :)

Well if you're not going to rattle off a few in-jokes in your first few posts, it doesn't bode well.

Just say something about buying Reus and playing him at left back or mention the roof truss and you'll survive. Barely. Actually why am I still even here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

martyos121 wrote: »
    Well if you're not going to rattle off a few in-jokes in your first few posts, it doesn't bode well.

In fairness he's been here half a season now, no excuses at this stage......

• Advertisement

Its opinions like this that give us the tag deluded. Add this to your "The CL should be rebooted to allow us in because we are a big club" argument and it seems to me like you are stuck in the past.

Rafa's time and now are different, much more competitive now. We are the 5/6 best team in the league. This is our managers first pre season and you want him to publicly talk about winning titles? 4th is more than fine, unfortunately some people cant accept where we are.

Getting top 4 and strengthening again next season would probably be more realistic surely. We are even outsiders for that.

I'd take a trophy and 5th though if I had to make the choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

No interest in stirring an already stirred pot but throwing it out there anyway.

Karius
    Klavan
    Mané
    The Dutch lad from Newcastle
    Matip

If any other manager than Klopp had sanctioned those transfers and that was, pretty much, business done for the summer, how would people react?

Personally, because it's Klopp I trust that he knows the players he wants and how they'll work to his system. But, being honest, none of the signings excite me. If any other manager than Klopp had signed those players, how would people view them?

mosstin wrote: »
    No interest in stirring an already stirred pot but throwing it out there anyway.

Karius
    Klavan
    Mané
    Matip

If any other manager than Klopp had sanctioned those transfers and that was, pretty much, business done for the summer, how would people react?

Personally, because it's Klopp I trust that he knows the players he wants and how they'll work to his system. But, being honest, none of the signings excite me. If any other manager than Klopp had signed those players, how would people view them?

Did he say business was done though?

I would think the majority would have the same opinion as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Karius
    Klavan
    Mané
    Matip

Going on the last few years I'd say 2 of them will be brutal...I just wonder which 2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Also,we need to pull the finger out and get this thread wrapped up today. It's been going since April for Christ's sake. I remember when we used to tear through these threads in 3 weeks. It wasn't usually for anything good though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Karius
    Klavan
    Mané
    Matip

Matip has been excellent in Germany for the last few years.

Mane looks great and gives a lot more pace and direct running in the final third.

I like Wilj and is very versatile so I'm happy with him.

Karius comes with a great reputation and has amazing hair.

Don't know much about Klavan.

People are complaining about the fees but they are gone bonkers this summer so we should only be looking at what the player brings to the team and not what they cost.

I'm happy with our business so far but I would like to see a left back signed.

Exciting signings are overrated. Correct signings are underrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I gotta say that Mané excites me. His pace is incredible and he can finish. I think he'll bring more to the attack than Sterling did, we lacked that outlet last year.

Wijnaldum and Karius are wait-and-see but happy enough with them as it stands.

I'm definitely not going to judge anything before a ball has been kicked. Klopp hasn't been in 12 months yet and this was always going to be the window where he transitions from the previous team to 'his' team so there can be no excuses about that when the season starts.

We've made a lot more signings than many teams in the league, and there's probably a handful more signings and departures to happen, and I reckon by Christmas we'll be able to assess how good/bad the new guys are.

Is Mig 1st choice now for the next while?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement