Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

garra wrote: »
    We still have a Europa cup spot to play for, so I want us to win versus Newcastle.... BUT.... If I did have to choose a game to lose at home this season, tomorrow's would be it!

3 games to get a CL place.

4 games to get a Europa place.

Do the math!

Seriously, will 7th get Europa, or do we need United to win the cup?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

K-9 wrote: »
    3 games to get a CL place.

4 games to get a Europa place.

Do the math!

Seriously, will 7th get Europa, or do we need United to win the cup?

Utd need to win the cup for that to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

5starpool wrote: »
    Utd need to win the cup for that to happen.

Plenty to play for in the league then, still an all. Imagine this season without our Europa adventures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Fir..ahh bollocks!

Legacy site how I've missed thee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

DrumSteve wrote: »
    CgmOv5TWkAENhE_.jpg

Consensus on the new kit?

Keepers jerseys is horrific... liking the new home jersey though. Hope we keep this years away kit also... (won't happen)

My concensus is that Milner looks like Hendo's scorned ex, longingly gazing in his direction hoping for even a momentary glance back in his direction. Haven't even noticed the jerseys yet! :P

mormank wrote: »
    My concensus is that Milner looks like Hendo's scorned ex, longingly gazing in his direction hoping for even a momentary glance back in his direction. Haven't even noticed the jerseys yet! :P

Well can you please explain why Can is gazing longingly at Mig's torso while you are at it?

Those jerseys are boring. Milner boring. Even with the homo-erotic overtones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Will be nice to hear his song again.

Might as well have a bit of Luis Garcia's, Ring Of Fire, and Best Midfield In The World while we're at it!

Still love the fact that Klopp is our manager. Just watching his press conference for the Newcastle game now and I love his demeanour and attitude towards football, and life in general really. His answer about fans who want to cheer Rafa tomorrow, he replied, if you want to celebrate Rafa then do it. That is how I would say hello to an old friend.
    My housemate got a puppy, which kinda means I got a puppy, around the same time we got Klopp. I already know I'm gonna be destraught when I lose either, but for now I'm gonna enjoy the good times! :D

• Advertisement

garra wrote: »
    We still have a Europa cup spot to play for, so I want us to win versus Newcastle.... BUT.... If I did have to choose a game to lose at home this season, tomorrow's would be it!

100% agree. Obviously I want us to win as default but I also really want a Rafa led Newcastle in the Premier League next season. Would be a great addition to the line-ups of managers next season, especially if Jose gets the Utd job. Not to mention the added bonus of getting to see Rafa almost single handedly be responsible for Big Sam's first relegation from the Premier League. :)
    Also I plumped for Defoe in FF over Sturridge to free up some loot for my midfield but that was before I realised Divock was out for the season. :(

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Just checking in.

If you have never heard of Bill Burr before, you are welcome! ;)
    (I mean you are welcome for the introduction to Bill, not for this clip as this clip is actually a very poor representation of him as a comedian. You should check him out, I mean you, you the guy reading this right now!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

DrumSteve wrote: »

Keepers jerseys is horrific

I quite like it. Then again, I did buy this yoke many moons ago.

97-8-1-hls-gk-fr.jpg

I hail from a small town, so the only local sporting goods shop didn't have it in stock (tbf, who would?). So they had to order it specially for me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

(I mean you are welcome for the introduction to Bill, not for this clip as this clip is actually a very poor representation of him as a comedian. You should check him out, I mean you, you the guy reading this right now!)

Post the stefan molynuex clip...classic

A great man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Glico Man wrote: »
    I quite like it. Then again, I did buy this yoke many moons ago.

97-8-1-hls-gk-fr.jpg

I hail from a small town, so the only local sporting goods shop didn't have it in stock (tbf, who would?). So they had to order it specially for me :pac:

I had this one, it was all the rage and fashion back then

jamess.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

rob316 wrote: »
    I had this one, it was all the rage and fashion back then

jamess.jpg

That IS horrendous :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

cjmc wrote: »
    That IS horrendous :o

That was very stylish back then;)

81349.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Charlie19 wrote: »
    That was very stylish back then;)

81349.jpg

Jayus im afraid to go through old photos now in case there is some one like that !

divockorigi Appreciate the love and support, I'll be back soon! #YNWA

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEg0Oa6gknC/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

^^^ 1000%

This is an absolute cracker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

^^^ 1000%

His jib, i like the cut of it.

^^^ 1000%

That is a fantastic clip alright. In fact the whole show which that comes from "Let it go" was my introduction to Bill Burr, only 6 months ago too, and the whole thing is brilliant. I immediately scoured the internet for all things Bill Burr. Louis CK has been my favourite living comic for many years now, but I think Bill Burr is right up there with him, tho Louis' shows do set him apart. His new show Horace and Pete is fantastic.
    Anyway do people think Kloppo will rest both Moreno and Coutinho for tomorrow's game? I need 1 of them to play to have a complete starting 11 in FF this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

His jib, i like the cut of it.

I think Bill Burr is one of the all-time greats.

His podcast is twice weekly and 95% of the time it's just him rambling away so no guests to spoil things.

Here is a good example of how good his podcast can be.

Talking about a guy crossing the Grand Canyon on a tightrope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R44LYzpojM

To get some semblance of relevance to this thread he went to, I think it was, an Arsenal game at the Emirates, and I believe the opponents were not Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Rafa or not,I hope we absolutely smash Newcastle tomorrow.

Interesting comment from Klopp at the end of his conference...sounds like Kolo will be there next year in some capacity. I'd say player/coach, transitioning into a full time coaching role.

Ben Arfa is the latest name being linked. Been tearing up the French league this season and on his day is fantastic but unfortunately only had a few of those days when he played in England. Free tho so may be worth a punt.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Interesting comment from Klopp at the end of his conference...sounds like Kolo will be there next year in some capacity. I'd say player/coach, transitioning into a full time coaching role.

Great news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ben Arfa is the latest name being linked. Been tearing up the French league this season and on his day is fantastic but unfortunately only had a few of those days when he played in England. Free tho so may be worth a punt.

Outstanding footballer, but a crap attitude. It might sound a bit mad but I'd sacrifice a bit of quality for a team player any day for the sake of our team. Ben Arfa won't press like Klopp would want, and he drifts in and out of games.

He's essentially a lazy Mahrez, but both are fantastic footballers tbf.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Outstanding footballer, but a crap attitude. It might sound a bit mad but I'd sacrifice a bit of quality for a team player any day for the sake of our team. Ben Arfa won't press like Klopp would want, and he drifts in and out of games.

He's essentially a lazy Mahrez, but both are fantastic footballers tbf.

True enough. Only a rumour I just saw. Nothing will come of it,more than likely. If every player we were linked with joined,we'd have an American Football sized squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

I didn't think I could have any more man love for Klopp until I read the following ref Rafa's return to Anfield tomorrow:

"I really like Rafa, we have met a few times," said the German. "From my point of view, if someone wants to celebrate Rafa Benitez in memory of Istanbul or whatever - he is one of the most successful managers at Liverpool - they are very welcome. "I don't care about that. If they want, do. Be louder than you have ever been, that is absolutely okay. "That is how I would say hello to a good old friend, so no-one has to ignore this wonderful moment because I am here now. "Do what you feel and if it is very good, show it."

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0422/783590-hotshot-sturridge-keen-to-make-up-for-lost-time

What a bloke!!

• Advertisement

True enough. Only a rumour I just saw. Nothing will come of it,more than likely. If every player we were linked with joined,we'd have an American Football sized squad.

Yeah saw the rumour as well. Also being linked with Pulisic of Dortmund, now that'd be an exciting signing, the lad's only around 17/18 and highly rated over there, and we know what kind of standards Dortmund hold their youth players to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It would be madness not to keep Kolo (Kolo Kolo) on at Liverpool as cheerleader, liaison officer and defence coach.

I'd be very happy for the club to just pay Kolo just to sit in the Kop on match day next season if it meant he stayed at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'd be very happy for the club to just pay Kolo just to sit in the Kop on match day next season if it meant he stayed at the club.

And give him a drum. I've always felt like we've lacked one of those drums, from time to time.

Kolo with a drum would be gas.

There's a piece on TV about Sturridge. It's on 'premier league world' but I don't know how to extract and put up here so maybe somebody else can.

Edit. The gist of it in my opinion - there is or has been a problem between Sturridge and Klopp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

On squad size, I saw a tweet yesterday saying Chelsea had won the European youth League, exciting times ahead for Vitesse Arnhem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Klopp is clearly drunk - wild, careless talk of Can, Ings and Origi all being back before the end of the season!

On squad size, I saw a tweet yesterday saying Chelsea had won the European youth League, exciting times ahead for Vitesse Arnhem...

Well that's weird;I just read that in the humour thread about 30 secs ago.

Spooky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The match is on Setanta tomorrow for those subscribing and able to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

There's a piece on TV about Sturridge. It's on 'premier league world' but I don't know how to extract and put up here so maybe somebody else can.

Edit. The gist of it in my opinion - there is or has been a problem between Sturridge and Klopp.

I thought the other night was interesting. Some would say strikers claiming goals is good but I thought Sturridge trying to claim Coutinho's goal was a bit bizarre & selfish if it wasn't just a joke.

A complete contrast to Origi on a hatrick against Southampton in the Carling Cup happy to give up a goal despite clearly flicking the ball in. Along with Origi's tireless worth ethic its probably why I prefer Origi's style of play & he is more a team player.

Its also why Suarez was always much more popular than Sturridge as well as being a better player. Sturridge has great quality but his selfish streak does sometimes annoy me especially now where our style of play is so demanding.

I didn't think I could have any more man love for Klopp until I read the following ref Rafa's return to Anfield tomorrow:

"I really like Rafa, we have met a few times," said the German. "From my point of view, if someone wants to celebrate Rafa Benitez in memory of Istanbul or whatever - he is one of the most successful managers at Liverpool - they are very welcome. "I don't care about that. If they want, do. Be louder than you have ever been, that is absolutely okay. "That is how I would say hello to a good old friend, so no-one has to ignore this wonderful moment because I am here now. "Do what you feel and if it is very good, show it."

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0422/783590-hotshot-sturridge-keen-to-make-up-for-lost-time

What a bloke!!

Yes it's as though Klopp is the current girl-friend and Rafa the smouldering ex, and Klopp is allowing us to greet and welcome the ex. Unlike your girl-friend though, I doubt Klopp will change his mind at the time and throw a tantrum to make you look a gobsh1te.

MD1990 wrote: »
    I thought the other night was interesting. Some would say strikers claiming goals is good but I thought Sturridge trying to claim Coutinho's goal was a bit bizarre & selfish if it wasn't just a joke.

A complete contrast to Origi on a hatrick against Southampton in the Carling Cup happy to give up a goal despite clearly flicking the ball in. Along with Origi's tireless worth ethic its probably why I prefer Origi's style of play & he is more a team player.

Its also why Suarez was always much more popular than Sturridge as well as being a better player. Sturridge has great quality but his selfish streak does sometimes annoy me especially now where our style of play is so demanding.

I hear you. Unfortunately I pay a lot of attention to body language and Sturridge's can be very poor.

So much so that when he attempted that backheel at goal, which was saved and Firminio tapped in, Sturridge put his hands on his head. The timing could be that it was JUST before Firminio scored but it could also be that he was annoyed at the save and didn't acknowledge we scored.

That said I hope it works out because Sturridge is a world class finisher.

I hear you. Unfortunately I pay a lot of attention to body language and Sturridge's can be very poor.

So much so that when he attempted that backheel at goal, which was saved and Firminio tapped in, Sturridge put his hands on his head. The timing could be that it was JUST before Firminio scored but it could also be that he was annoyed at the save and didn't acknowledge we scored.

That said I hope it works out because Sturridge is a world class finisher.

I saw that too! His hands were definitely still on his head after the ball goes in, then the camera cuts to Firmino. He did join in the celebrations, but was a bit late over to the group...totally overanalyzing here, but it was definitely jarring when I spotted his hands on his head when we'd scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Well that's weird;I just read that in the humour thread about 30 secs ago.

Spooky.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHr3q5pWBa6jxH0tioXEJiWCkmMgsCraG2tUuEd4iaric6INF1ng

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The match is on Setanta tomorrow for those subscribing and able to watch.

At a stupid wedding in stupid Galway tonight but have it on record in case I don't get back to Dublin for kickoff. Either way I reckon I'll be hungover. Might let the wife drive but this seems like a 12.45 decision.

Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Rafa or not,I hope we absolutely smash Newcastle tomorrow.

I like Newcastle even without Benitez but to keep the Klopp times rolling I'd want us to smash them even if Billy 'Ginger Bollix' Burr was their manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

On Ben Arfa, up there with Messi as one of the best dribblers with the ball I've ever seen. The lad has bags and bags of talent. Lot of people comparing him to Balotelli but he seems to have changed his tune in France this season. He's one player I've always wanted to play for us. I think a pay as you play contract would solve any attitude problems he has.

hefferboi wrote: »
    On Ben Arfa, up there with Messi as one of the best dribblers with the ball I've ever seen. The lad has bags and bags of talent. Lot of people comparing him to Balotelli but he seems to have changed his tune in France this season. He's one player I've always wanted to play for us. I think a pay as you play contract would solve any attitude problems he has.

There's no way he'd go for a pay as you play deal when he can get a great contract elsewhere since he's a free agent this summer. I know I called him lazy, and he still is (he's playing very well this season in spite of that) but if we're going to sign him, it should be to a regular, 3 year deal with very, very good assist and goal bonuses, I guarantee giving him financial incentives like that will make him work that extra 15% harder. (Maybe a gegenpressing bonus thrown in as well ;))

Anyone that'd compare him to Balotelli doesn't have a clue, simple as. He's nowhere near as far gone even though he's older. We can do better than signing Ben Arfa, but I won't complain one bit if he arrives, especially on a Bosman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

martyos121 wrote: »

There's no way he'd go for a pay as you play deal when he can get a great contract elsewhere since he's a free agent this summer. I know I called him lazy, and he still is (he's playing very well this season in spite of that) but if we're going to sign him, it should be to a regular, 3 year deal with very, very good assist and goal bonuses, I guarantee giving him financial incentives like that will make him work that extra 15% harder. (Maybe a gegenpressing bonus thrown in as well ;))

Anyone that'd compare him to Balotelli doesn't have a clue, simple as. He's nowhere near as far gone even though he's older. We can do better than signing Ben Arfa, but I won't complain one bit if he arrives, especially on a Bosman.
    I'd have no problem giving him a 3 year contract I was just saying about the pay as you play deal as I know a lot of people wouldn't be happy with giving him a good contract.

100% agree about the Ballotelli comparisons. He's shown more talent in his time at Newcastle than Balotelli has in his entire career. The only thing about Ben Arfa if he did come is who you drop. He's a lot more clinical than Lallana but Lallana works a lot harder. He's not really needed at all but I'd still love to have him.

I'd have no problem giving him a 3 year contract I was just saying about the pay as you play deal as I know a lot of people wouldn't be happy with giving him a good contract.

100% agree about the Ballotelli comparisons. He's shown more talent in his time at Newcastle than Balotelli has in his entire career. The only thing about Ben Arfa if he did come is who you drop. He's a lot more clinical than Lallana but Lallana works a lot harder. He's not really needed at all but I'd still love to have him.

He'd be a great impact sub, but he'd have the wages of a first XI player. I think I could live with that if we get him on a free though.

Imagine being able to bring someone like Ben Arfa off the bench to run at a tired defence. Unless we get someone like Mkhitaryan or Götze then I'd be happy to keep starting Lallana, finishing is one thing that can be massively improved on, Coutinho has certainly proven that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement