Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well unless Klopp prefers a hand one-handed Karius* I expect so!

* A one handed Karius may be better.

Well unless Klopp prefers a hand one-handed Karius* I expect so!

* A one handed Karius may be better.

A no handed Karius even!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I suppose it's a bit late to approach the PL about a "last man back" rule change for this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

mosstin wrote: »
    No interest in stirring an already stirred pot but throwing it out there anyway.

Karius
    Klavan
    Mané
    The Dutch lad from Newcastle
    Matip

If any other manager than Klopp had sanctioned those transfers and that was, pretty much, business done for the summer, how would people react?

Personally, because it's Klopp I trust that he knows the players he wants and how they'll work to his system. But, being honest, none of the signings excite me. If any other manager than Klopp had signed those players, how would people view them?

Klopp is the "superstar" if that's what you want to call him of the squad not the players, they are the players he wants for his system so that excites me.
    As an aside, karius is by all accounts a very exciting talented keeper, matip has been a stalwart at the centre of defence of a very good German side for years(plus he adds much needed height) klaven is 4h choice, mane and wijnaldum I dare spin the premier league proven line but wijnaldum scored more goals than most our players from midfield, mane adds blistering pace which we have been crying out for for ages and has an eye for goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

If we dont sign a left back I'll view this transfer window as a failure. Glaring issue. Even a stop gap just to see us over until he can sign who he wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Matip has been excellent in Germany for the last few years.

Mane looks great and gives a lot more pace and direct running in the final third.

I like Wilj and is very versatile so I'm happy with him.

Karius comes with a great reputation and has amazing hair.

Don't know much about Klavan.

People are complaining about the fees but they are gone bonkers this summer so we should only be looking at what the player brings to the team and not what they cost.

I'm happy with our business so far but I would like to see a left back signed.

This is pretty much where I'm at too. Well aside from Karius' hair which I think is only a 7/10 hair-do.

The signing of a left back is absolutely crucial.
    Klopp isn't daft, you don't let Flanagan and Smith go and leave yourself basically depending on Moreno....
    So he must have the LB situation at the top of his priority list. Well, if he doesn't then it doesn't bear thinking about really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

This is pretty much where I'm at too. Well aside from Karius' hair which I think is only a 7/10 hair-do

Ban him now.

Karius will push Can all the way this season for Best Hair Award.

He's a definite 9 probably pushing a 10!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

1. Liverpool
    2. Utd
    3. City
    4. Arsenal

Chelski to finish outside of top 6 Conte gone by Xmas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

1. Liverpool
    2. Utd
    3. City
    4. Arsenal

Chelski to finish outside of top 6 Conte gone by Xmas...

Think that might be stretching it a bit, sure they have come on a lot recently but I can't see West Ham getting 2nd.

• Advertisement

Anyone wrote: »
    Think that might be stretching it a bit, sure they have come on a lot recently but I can't see West Ham getting 2nd.

Is unethical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

joao mario being linked again this morning. I reckon our next signings depend on if we can shift the likes of benteke and markovic out the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

So does anyone think we need a left back as a matter of urgency? Surprised there hasn't been more talk about it.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    So does anyone think we need a left back as a matter of urgency? Surprised there hasn't been more talk about it.

Glad someone finally brought it up, talk about the elephant in the room.

Pyjamarama wrote: »

Reckon we will see a left back signed within the next couple of weeks. Be shocked if we didnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mosstin wrote: »
    No interest in stirring an already stirred pot but throwing it out there anyway.

Karius
    Klavan
    Mané
    The Dutch lad from Newcastle
    Matip

If any other manager than Klopp had sanctioned those transfers and that was, pretty much, business done for the summer, how would people react?

Personally, because it's Klopp I trust that he knows the players he wants and how they'll work to his system. But, being honest, none of the signings excite me. If any other manager than Klopp had signed those players, how would people view them?

I've said I'm not particularly impressed with the overall FSG strategy but there's a few weeks left to give an overall opinion.

Attacking wise I can see why he bought them, definitely. Defensively it's a bit underwhelming for me but being honest, I know little about the signings there and I doubt many do, so I'll delay judgement until 20 minutes into the Arsenal game when we concede from a corner...

I can see he's added pace and physicality which was 2 things we needed.

Whatever about a boss DM which it seems the club has given up on signing for years no LB is worrying. I'd be amazed if we haven't signed one by the 31st. Yep, I know we can miss out on targets for various reasons and we can't solve everything in 1 window but...

As for him getting an easy ride, it's his first proper transfer window, he should be getting the benefit of the doubt. Also like any other manager he'll end up judged on how those buys and sells work out. It was the same with Rodgers and the others, transfers are the managers call.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

ricero wrote: »
    joao mario being linked again this morning. I reckon our next signings depend on if we can shift the likes of benteke and markovic out the door

He'd be a fantastic signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What would he offer over what we already have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is this that O Jolo (or whatever it's called) pimping out crap again?

I see a shift in some folks expectations, Klopp being a superstar manager, man for the job, best manager for LFC etc yet 4th will be seen as a great season as we are the 5th/6th best team in the league.

Add to that folks are now accepting that established top class players won't come here, but that is fine as Klopp doesn't want them anyway, a short time ago it was a major -ive to the regime that FSG wouldn't buy them and Rodgers couldn't attract them.

I like the element of realism tbh, the scent of coffee is finally being whiffed by many.

Not being any way negative but we are where we are, that accepted we can of course hope for title challenges and top 4 finishes but should it not happen we can keep the toys in the pram.

In the last few seasons we've had a 2nd place PL finish and just got to the EL final, that's not too bad for the 5th/6th best team in the PL, we have a top class manager, a thoroughly decent squad (that's more an understatement than an overstatement imo), financial stability, a stadium investment ongoing......... add in a small bit of luck into the mix and anything can happen.

Accepting that we are the 5th/6th best in the PL I do think (as I've said before) we do look to have an opportunity this season for Top4 with the 3 new managers at 3 of the almost perennial Top4 teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

What would he offer over what we already have?

I would be highly disappointed if the only move in this window was for Mario

We have only the League, Fa Cup and League cup. That means at the very least 40 games and the potential to go to the final in both cups.

That is not enough games to justify having so many attacking players

We still have

Benteke
    Ings
    Origi
    Sturridge
    Firmino
    Coutinho
    Balotelli
    Lallana
    Mane
    Wijnaldum
    Markovic
    Ojo
    Alberto

Now I am sure some of these players will leave. BUT for now we have 13 players playing for 4 spots in the team at most. We do not need another attacking player until at the very least 6 of the listed players leave.

13 players covering 4 spots for 40 games??? come on

We need defenders not attackers.

Hell our center mid "2" is even still packed

Milner
    Hendo
    Lucas
    Can
    Grujic
    Stewart

*I know players will leave but what happens if deals for them dont materialise or just fall through?? We cant have "first teamers" rotting in reserves. They will disrupt the harmony of the club

• Advertisement

I'm expecting 4th or at the very least, pretty damn close to it, a realistic chance come the last few weeks of the season. If we can't do that with no European football it would be a disappointing follow up to his first few months here.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Mr.H wrote: »
    I would be highly disappointed if the only move in this window was for Mario

We have only the League, Fa Cup and League cup. That means at the very least 40 games and the potential to go to the final in both cups.

That is not enough games to justify having so many attacking players

We still have

Benteke
    Ings
    Origi
    Sturridge
    Firmino
    Coutinho
    Balotelli
    Lallana
    Mane
    Wijnaldum
    Markovic
    Ojo
    Alberto

Now I am sure some of these players will leave. BUT for now we have 13 players playing for 4 spots in the team at most. We do not need another attacking player until at the very least 6 of the listed players leave...........

If the highlighted 4 leave we have 9 players for 4 positions, if you consider 6 of the 9 should be used in every game (2 attacking subs) than 9 isn't at all two much.

Also I would expect progression in at least one of the cups.

Add in two injuries to that 9 and we are looking potentially lightweight again imo.

Augeo wrote: »
    If the highlighted 4 leave we have 9 players for 4 positions, if you consider 6 of the 9 should be used in every game (2 attacking subs) than 9 isn't at all two much.

Also I would expect progression in at least one of the cups.

Add in two injuries to that 9 and we are looking potentially lightweight again imo.

Thats fair but right now they are still here. I cant see how we could jusrify bringing in more while they are here. As I said if deals fall through or just dont materialise then we are stuck with some expensive season ticket holders.

These are two potential line ups for us right now taking out the ones you selected. This also leaves out Ojo for pure matamatical reasons and the fact he is probably the least likely out of teh nine to get a start.

Mane---Firmino---Coutinho
    Sturridge

Origi---Lallana---Wijnaldum
    Ings
    • My question is do you think 25 million Wijnaldum came here to sit on the bench?
    • I feel Origi has done loads to prove he should be in the first team yet we cant pick him ahead of anyone in the first "front 4"
    • Ings and Lallana will be back ups but I doubt they will want to play less than 20 games this season or will be looking to leave for first team football

Benteke - Linked witha a couple of clubs but we have reportedly looked for more. So if clubs dont come back with higher offers we are stuck with a guy who is on 120k a week and will only drop in value if he isnt playing.
    Balotelli - Linked with a move to Holland or China. Our best best is if Napoli come for him. But again right now he isnt going anywhere.
    Markovic - Aparantely he could be staying. Noone seems to be looking at him seriously for a move either.
    Alberto - Sevilla have been looking (according to red tops in Spain) but again we await a move

My concern is we have too many players to keep happy right now. We cant bring in players in crowded positions until we make room. Even if we do feel there will be room. By all means I hope the club are looking at players on the chance that we do have room. But right now I hope we are concentrating on the position that matters and that is our defence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I'm with Mr.H on this. We are definitely well stocked and possibly over-stocked in terms of attack and I think it would be nuts to bring in another attacking mid.

What worries me aside from the obvious LB situation is the lack of defensive central midfielders. About to get even worse if these Lucas going rumours prove true.

If you go back to the 2nd half of the Europa League Final (just an example off the top of my head here) what happened was Seville stopped going long and started playing through the heart of our midfield.
    And when that happened they didn't just play through us, they walked through us.

Dortmund at Anfield is another example. They strolled through our midfield and it only turned around when Joe Allen came on and we got a bit more bite in the CM area.
    He's gone too of course.

Nevermind more attacking players. We need two players. Ones a LB and the other is a DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Squad morale and genuine competition for places is a necessity and our squad is too big and attack heavy as Mr. H described.
    Waiting and hoping for transfers to happen is becoming torturous. Do most of them get done in the last week of the window these days?
    The Benteke saga and not getting Chilwell spring to mind.

Id love it if we just used the cash from player sales to bring in a top defensive mid and a left back. Id be happy with our window if that happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Thats fair but right now they are still here. I cant see how we could jusrify bringing in more while they are here. As I said if deals fall through or just dont materialise then we are stuck with some expensive season ticket holders.

These are two potential line ups for us right now taking out the ones you selected. This also leaves out Ojo for pure matamatical reasons and the fact he is probably the least likely out of teh nine to get a start.

Mane---Firmino---Coutinho
    Sturridge

Origi---Lallana---Wijnaldum
    Ings
    • My question is do you think 25 million Wijnaldum came here to sit on the bench?
    • I feel Origi has done loads to prove he should be in the first team yet we cant pick him ahead of anyone in the first "front 4"
    • Ings and Lallana will be back ups but I doubt they will want to play less than 20 games this season or will be looking to leave for first team football

Benteke - Linked witha a couple of clubs but we have reportedly looked for more. So if clubs dont come back with higher offers we are stuck with a guy who is on 120k a week and will only drop in value if he isnt playing.
    Balotelli - Linked with a move to Holland or China. Our best best is if Napoli come for him. But again right now he isnt going anywhere.
    Markovic - Aparantely he could be staying. Noone seems to be looking at him seriously for a move either.
    Alberto - Sevilla have been looking (according to red tops in Spain) but again we await a move

My concern is we have too many players to keep happy right now. We cant bring in players in crowded positions until we make room. Even if we do feel there will be room. By all means I hope the club are looking at players on the chance that we do have room. But right now I hope we are concentrating on the position that matters and that is our defence
    Origi is only marginally behind Sturridge in most games and ahead of him in those games where we need a target man up front to hold the ball and still provide pace to keep the other team honest with their line. Plus the fact that Sturridge seems unlikely to be fit for all/most of our games...

Origi is only marginally behind Sturridge in most games and ahead of him in those games where we need a target man up front to hold the ball and still provide pace to keep the other team honest with their line. Plus the fact that Sturridge seems unlikely to be fit for all/most of our games...

Yea I agree with the fact they could be rotated based on certain games but we shouldnt plan our team around who will likely be injured.

If that was the case we should sell Sturridge because if we are planning on him not playing half the season then why keep him??

RVP held off his injuries in his latter years at Arsenal and United. Hopefully Danny will start getting a bit of luck.

Even apart from that we still have Ings Firmino Origi and Mane who can all play there. Plus Benteke and Mario until we sell them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

• Advertisement

Liverpool to face Barcelona: Mignolet; Clyne, Lovren, Klavan, Milner; Lallana, Can, Wijnaldum; Coutinho, Firmino, Mane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

MD1990 wrote: »

The guy is an embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Particularly away, I think there was a strong case for Origi to be starting regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

MD1990 wrote: »
    And so it begins....

I feel sorry for Sturridge at this stage. His body just lets him down too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

To who?

Harsh!

Balotelli is an embarrassment
    Kewell was an embarrassment
    Suarez at times was an embarrassment

Sturridge is just injury prone like a lot of great strikers. Ronaldo (the real one), Owen, Torres (when he was good), Rivaldo, Etto, RVP................. the list goes on

Anyway Im sure if we tried to sell him we would easily get 20 million even while injured

I reckon origi was starting against arsenal regardless of sturridge being unfit

CpL6sZcXEAAktcs.jpg

Henderson looks like he has a massive Fellaini wig on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Harsh!

Balotelli is an embarrassment
    Kewell was an embarrassment
    Suarez at times was an embarrassment

Sturridge is just injury prone like a lot of great strikers. Ronaldo (the real one), Owen, Torres (when he was good), Rivaldo, Etto, RVP................. the list goes on

Anyway Im sure if we tried to sell him we would easily get 20 million even while injured

Injury prone me hole, the great strikers like Ronaldo had serious injuries, Sturridge has probably an ingrown toenail. Most of it's in his head and the quicker he's sold the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just a dead leg only a doubt for next weekend nothing major.

Id love it if we just used the cash from player sales to bring in a top defensive mid and a left back. Id be happy with our window if that happened.

If we got both it would be a very good 1 transfer window tbh, but it just seems DM isn't seen as a priority and we expect Can to develop as an all round CM. If we get a LB I'd put it out down as a decent window.
    At least Sturridge isn't a serious injury, best we can hope for really.

CpL0SohXYAABUNE.jpg

Injury prone me hole, the great strikers like Ronaldo had serious injuries, Sturridge has probably an ingrown toenail. Most of it's in his head and the quicker he's sold the better.
    Sturridge had surgery on his hip.With the all injuries Sturridge has had it is only natural he might be a bit hesitant to play on with an injury than other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Is the Barcelona game on telly?if so what channel

• Advertisement

Barça XI:
    1.Ter Stegen
    5.Sergio
    6.Denis
    7.Arda
    9.Suárez
    10.Messi
    12.Cámara
    14.Mascherano
    17.Munir
    22.Aleix Vidal
    24.Mathieu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Mmrk_f-maxage-0.gif

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Is the Barcelona game on telly?if so what channel

Sky Sports 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What a stupid post. How can you blame a player for being injured?

There is no need to risk him in a silly friendly either.

Also, it's the management teams call not the player's alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sturridge out injured. Oh Lord. Not again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement