Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

ebbsy wrote: »
    Spurs are light years ahead of us.

I would back them to come close again next year as well.

Ppffff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nah, they are a fit hard working striker and a competent CB ahead of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I reckon they might struggle to hold onto some of their players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

K-9 wrote: »
    I'm only slagging!

Leicester kept their nerve no matter what was thrown at them. Spurs never really put the pressure on.

That's been the most bizarre thing.

Only a team of nobodies who've never won anything could've been so blasé about the whole thing and so unafraid of failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Not a hope. They have 70 points after 36 games, most years they wouldn't be within an asses roar of winning it. Next year Guardiola at City, possibly Mourinho at Utd, Conte at Chelsea and Klopp at Liverpool. They are completely overrated, league is unbelievably poor this year. This was their shot, they blew it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nonsense. Give klopp 2 full seasons like Pochettino and come back to me.

Can we at least agree that as Liverpool were one of only two teams (with Arsenal) to actually beat Leicester City that we're still better than 18 teams :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Milkers wrote: »
    Not a hope. They have 70 points after 36 games, most years they wouldn't be within an asses roar of winning it. Next year Guardiola at City, possibly Mourinho at Utd, Conte at Chelsea and Klopp at Liverpool. They are completely overrated, league is unbelievably poor this year. This was their shot, they blew it.

I think you seriously underrate Pochettino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

rob316 wrote: »
    Nonsense. Give klopp 2 full seasons like Pochettino and come back to me.

I hope you are right bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Look, can we all just agree that Spurs are a shower of four-stars and that their pain is delicious, like chocolate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Wouldn't put too much cash on Chelsea next year. They look rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Wouldn't put too much cash on Chelsea next year. They look rubbish.

Or Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

corwill wrote: »
    Look, can we all just agree that Spurs are a shower of four-stars and that their pain is delicious, like chocolate?

My mind went straight to pizza reading that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,649 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Right down to the real business . Who do we buy from leicester for gazillions ?

cjmc wrote: »

Which of them are ****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Spurs show nobody should write off players after 1 season, cept Soldado! I'm tempting fate.

Some fans know after a pre season friendly in Indonesia though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I don't see how we can lose next year. What ever the odds I'm putting 1000 on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Even bigger news:

Emre Can has put himself in contention to START vs Villarreal this Thursday. #lfc (Paul Joyce)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

They've haven't lurched forward into top quality this season.

A 12 point swing over last season (the max they can get) would be quite strong and clearly they've done a good job, but that's without much of a cup run and only half-arsing the lesser European competition.

It's just that the standard of the league is rock bottom.

The other issue they'll have is that there's no obvious weaknesses but precious few geninely top class players.

It's much easier to work on a team of 2 world class lads, a couple of solid options and then a pile of **** that's just about holding things together.

For Spurs to significantly improve they'll have to either do incredible business or spend boat-loads of money on players that may or may not be interested in going there.

On the plus side, they're unlikely to get picked apart too much either.
    While you can make arguments for nearly any Spurs player over nearly any other player in the same position in the league, none of them are so much better, expect maybe Kane, that they'd be worth the huge outlay, and none are of the calibre that would have your Barca's and Real's sniffing around.

Of course, Leicester just won the league, so **** logic, but whatever about 1 impossible season where nobody turns up, I can't imagine another one happening, particularly with Guardiola and Conte turning up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I don't see how we can lose next year. What ever the odds I'm putting 1000 on.

Stick a fiver on Leicester to get relegated. 5000-1. It could never happen.

cjmc wrote: »

Kante. And I would have no interest in what he cost us.

I'd buy their centre backs!

Great news if Can is back even if he can only play an hour it could be vital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Nah, they are a fit hard working striker and a competent CB ahead of us.

Agree but we have Forrest Gump at left back and Santa handing out gifts between the sticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Can is a warrior. Probably prepared to play on one leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

We should be signing Mark Schwarzer, back to back medals with Chelsea and Leicester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Can back would be massive...really missed his drive and power through the middle. He's come on so much this season, himself and Coutinho the first names on the team sheet for me now. (would have been Sakho too, but, well...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

daithijjj wrote: »
    Agree but we have Forrest Gump at left back and Santa handing out gifts between the sticks.

Have you ever seen Kyle Walker play football? Moreno belongs in mensa in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

MD1990 wrote: »
    Can is a warrior. Probably prepared to play on one leg.

Second leg on Thursday it is so.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

mosstin wrote: »
    I think you seriously underrate Pochettino.

Possibly. Although there is a serious whiff of flavour of the month about him to me. 33% win percentage at Espanyol, 38% at Southampton and now slightly improving a Spurs team that was already pretty good before he got there. I feel like the media fawning over him of late is a tad premature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Kane staying fit for the majority of games over the last two seasons has been massive for Spurs.

All the usual big teams have missed their main striker for big parts of the season this year.

Kane is very like Suarez in the way he can withstand injury.

• Advertisement

Emre could be back! What a boost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We should be signing Mark Schwarzer, back to back medals with Chelsea and Leicester.

Yeah but he'd end up actually playing and thats where the streak ends. (tbf it ends either way with Mingolet there :) )

edit: I assume theres no minimum requirement of games for the gk to recieve a medal? Otherwise no sub keeper would ever end up getting one (or very rarely at least)

Edit 2:the return. From the article "Schwarzer was one of several Chelsea players who failed to qualify to play the minimum of five matches needed to qualify for a champion’s medal, but former boss Jose Mourinho personally paid for the Australian to be given a medal.
    Schwarzer doesn’t qualify for a winner’s medal this season either, but Leicester mentor Claudio Ranieri may follow Mourinho’s touching gesture, The Sun reports."

Thats a bit ****ty to be fair. "Here's my trophy room. These are my pl medals the bosses bought me" .

Might see if theres any floating on ebay :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Ritchie de lat will get a prem league medal as hes played 7 games for them this season,went on loan to boro and may get a championship medal with them in the same season.. crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Even bigger news:

Emre Can has put himself in contention to START vs Villarreal this Thursday. #lfc (Paul Joyce)

vzk9k_s-200x150.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ritchie de lat will get a prem league medal as hes played 7 games for them this season,went on loan to boro and may get a championship medal with them in the same season.. crazy

Football, you couldn't write it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So now that the beast is slain and the fairytale complete what can we take from it? The message for me is simple and something any of us who witnessed 2005 shouldn't have needed to be thought: it's all possible. Leicester, with just the one player in their squad who held a top tier medal and a manager much maligned for his inability to ever win a league title kept their composure and nerve in ways we could not two year's ago.

Take your talk of long term settling for top four as an objective or justifications of playing second string sides against Real Madrid and stick it. We are only limited by our dreams and Klopp doesn't strike me as limited in that regard.

There is a possibility that this season will finish with just one team crossing the 2ppg average in the final table. Utd / Chelsea / City / Arsenal are all possibly looking at new managers and upheaval in their squads. Spurs are talented but inexperienced. This is a time of opportunity. For sure we have our problems too, but there has to be a pressure placed on ourselves from the off next year. 76 points needs to be the rough target and let the chips fall where they may thereafter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Spurs are talented but inexperienced.
    Not any more. Coming so close and the pain they are feeling right now will galvanise them next season.

mosstin wrote: »
    Stick a fiver on Leicester to get relegated. 5000-1. It could never happen.

Is there anywhere online you can get odds on Leicester being relegated next year? I don't expect it to happen but I'd say the odds on it happening would greatly exceed the actual probability and I like those sort of bets. If they lose a few key players, particularly Schmeichel, Mahrez and Kante (would love him at LFC), bring in a few players who don't settle in and there's the time honoured contract disputes with a few players who put their hand out for better wages now they are PL champions it's entirely possible they could go into a serious tail spin.

I can't see odds on them being relegated next season on either Betfair or PP. Anyone got any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Not any more. Coming so close and the pain they are feeling right now will galvanise them next season.

Worked for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

That worked out pretty well for us.

Let's not forget Leicester in the either... it's not a foregone conclusion they won't be there or thereabouts next year.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    Worked for us!
    I don't think Spurs will be selling their best player immediately after coming 2nd like we did and replacing him with Balotelli :o

I don't think Spurs will be selling their best player immediately after coming 2nd like we did and replacing him with Balotelli :o

Would be hilarious, though, selling them Mario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Even if Spurs theoretically sold Kane they'd still be there's abouts assuming they replace him to some degree, they've a top class keeper and centre back pairing, a good midfield pairing that compliment eachother and an excellent prospect in a 10 in alli who is already providing numbers. Theyre not so great out wide in the wing and full back positions but they do so a strong spine is key to a great side so.....
    Contrast that to us the season we came close and there's a fair few differences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Spurs have 70 points after 36 games. Normally speaking, they'd be in a dogfight for fourth right now needing specific things to happen over the past two games to qualify for the CL. While their squad will have gained some experience from this season, it remains to be seen whether they will purchase well over the summer to improve and whether they can push on. The big dogs will be back snarling next season, make no mistake.

We finished 2013 - 14 with 84 points. Our fall off was more dramatic, but losing one of the top three players in the world that summer was a greater problem than Spurs would face if they lost any single one of their current squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

City under Guardiola worry me though. They will most likely make some great signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

City under Guardiola worry me though. They will most likely make some great signings.

They'll still be City though.

I personally think he is hugely overrated, I'll be proved right tonight when Atletico progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Not sure about that, I can't see many of the Bayern lads (Thiago aside maybe) following him to City. Barca guys are happy where they are and same would go for majority of Real players. Maybe he'll raid the likes of Atletí or Dortmund for some players like Godin, Griezmann or Reus!

I don't think he'll be the big success everyone thinks he will be tho he will have the best player in the league in Aguero!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Still can take time to gel/settle etc. They have made some 'great' signings every season and look how poor they are.

Tremendous opportunity next season for any team brave enough to step up to the plate.

Seeing what Leicester have done, surely Newcastle are next season's favourites?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Spurs have 70 points after 36 games. Normally speaking, they'd be in a dogfight for fourth right now needing specific things to happen over the past two games to qualify for the CL. While their squad will have gained some experience from this season, it remains to be seen whether they will purchase well over the summer to improve and whether they can push on. The big dogs will be back snarling next season, make no mistake.

We finished 2013 - 14 with 84 points. Our fall off was more dramatic, but losing one of the top three players in the world that summer was a greater problem than Spurs would face if they lost any single one of their current squad.

Spurs cant replace kane. If he goes, which I doubt he will btw, but if he does.....they are in trouble. Top quality strikers are rare.

They dont even have competent backup at the moment. Look what happened to liverpool losing suarez. Losing kane would result in the same thing for spurs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement