Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Kirby wrote: »
    Spurs cant replace kane. If he goes, which I doubt he will btw, but if he does.....they are in trouble. Top quality strikers are rare.

They dont even have competent backup at the moment. Look what happened to liverpool losing suarez. Losing kane would result in the same thing for spurs.

They'd buy Sturridge for 25 million and he'll go on to have an injury free career!

Kirby wrote: »
    Spurs cant replace kane. If he goes, which I doubt he will btw, but if he does.....they are in trouble. Top quality strikers are rare.

They dont even have competent backup at the moment. Look what happened to liverpool losing suarez. Losing kane would result in the same thing for spurs.

Is Kane really irreplaceable though?

He's a top striker but what if Spurs signed Vardy for example. Similar goal rate this season

Suarez as Lloyd mentioned was irreplaceable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Vardy is a one reason wonder probably at the current strike rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Pepsi Gary Ola inherited a good Barca team, all was need was guidance . He has failed to deliver for Bayern. He was in right place at right time with Barca that's all.
    I can't see him setting league alight with City. This league is competitive unlike La Liga and Germany league where its always two teams beating everyone week in week out.
    Anyone can beat anyone in Premier League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Is Kane really irreplaceable though?

He's a top striker but what if Spurs signed Vardy for example. Similar goal rate this season

There's probably only a handful of strikers who will score at Kane's rate and if they were available, there's no guarantee Spurs would be able to sign them. People like Higuain, Lewandowski, etc would all be expected to deliver 20+ goals but you can be sure that if they were hankering for a move, United, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Juve, PSG, Real, Barca, Bayern, etc would all be interested too.

Kane leaving Spurs would be pretty bad for them I think. But I don't think they have to worry about it.
    Vardy is a one reason wonder probably at the current strike rate.

Probably.

But so was Kane this time last season...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Leicester, with just the one player in their squad who held a top tier medal

Both Schwarzer and Huth had PL medals before this season and Inler has a couple of Coppa Italia's

But your point overall is correct. It's an incredible achievement and I'm delighted for them! They bought very well in the past couple of years, had a season where they didn't go deep into the domestic cups and had no European commitments, managed to keep the majority of their first team on the pitch every week with no major injuries, and had a real team mentality that stood to them after Christmas when they could just go and keep the momentum going without in-fighting.

Leicester City will play a total of 43 games this season
    Liverpool will play a minimum of 62 games this season (hopefully 63!)

That's a massive difference and the fact that they could concentrate on 1 competition for the majority of the season with a healthy squad and limited mid-week games really stood to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah I've made the point about rest between fixtures in the other thread. It also makes me roll my eyes at the drugs allegations from some quarters. Their low injury rate is a clear function of the relatively low amount of games and infrequent fixture loading (only a few weeks of the season where they had to play more than twice in a seven day period).

I was referencing Huth btw - forgot Schwarzer was backup for Chelsea and had forgotten entirely about Ilner - the fact he didn't work out this season and they managed is a testament to how incredible Kante and Drinkwater have played!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Yeah I've made the point about rest between fixtures in the other thread. It also makes me roll my eyes at the drugs allegations from some quarters. Their low injury rate is a clear function of the relatively low amount of games and infrequent fixture loading (only a few weeks of the season where they had to play more than twice in a seven day period).

I was referencing Huth btw - forgot Schwarzer was backup for Chelsea and had forgotten entirely about Ilner - the fact he didn't work out this season and they managed is a testament to how incredible Kante and Drinkwater have played!
    Seen a great article on there training will try to find the link for it. Training week is something like this

Saturday -Matchday
    Sunday - Recovery day
    Monday - 2nd active Recovery day
    Tuesday - Football Training, S&C training. Stopped doing Olympic lifts & just do very heavy Leg Presses & a Nordic Hamstring exercise.
    Wednesday - Regular Training
    Thursday - 5 a side tournament. Very competitive.
    Friday - Tactical, Light Training session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I think it's perfectly legitimate to ask how a team goes from almost last in a 20 horse race to first. Fair play to Leicester but questions would be asked in other sports - cycling, atheltics - so why not football?
    I think anyone who thinks football is drug free has their head buried in the sand.

mosstin wrote: »
    I think it's perfectly legitimate to ask how a team goes from almost last in a 20 horse race to first. Fair play to Leicester but questions would be asked in other sports - cycling, atheltics - so why not football?
    I think anyone who thinks football is drug free has their head buried in the sand.
    I don't think football is drug free, far from it as consistently expressed in my posts on here. I just assume they're all on it and that it would he highly unlikely to be the key factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

When you think 2 of their biggest signings didn't play a big part, it emphasises it.

We came very close in 13/14 with maybe 14 squad players really. When you think that was seen as a remarkable achievement it puts it in even more context. We never got the a 5 or 8 point lead like Leicester, City and maybe Chelsea had games in hand when we did get ahead.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I don't think football is drug free, far from it as consistently expressed in my posts on here. I just assume they're all on it and that it would he highly unlikely to be the key factor.

As do I, and if Leicester are doing it and if they're better than everyone else at doing it, in a way, good on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like we are about to buy our first Leicester player.

Ben Chilwell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Looks like we are about to buy our first Leicester player.

Ben Chilwell.

Joel Matip
    Marko Grujic

and now its looking like Chilwell.

Add in possibly Timo Horn to compete with Mignolet.

Still think we need another central defender, deep lying playmaker/defensive midfielder and a goal scoring wide player

Granit Xhaka, Ousmane Dembele would be excellent additions for the latter 2 positions. I'd say someone like Neven Subotic is a likely target rather than a more expensive upgrade given the impending return of Joe Gomez.

I wonder is there any chance that Klopp will take a look at Wisdom as a centre back this summer

price690 wrote: »
    Joel Matip
    Marko Grujic

and now its looking like Chilwell.

Add in possibly Timo Horn to compete with Mignolet.

Still think we need another central defender, deep lying playmaker/defensive midfielder and a goal scoring wide player

Granit Xhaka, Ousmane Dembele would be excellent additions for the latter 2 positions. I'd say someone like Neven Subotic is a likely target rather than a more expensive upgrade given the impending return of Joe Gomez.

I wonder is there any chance that Klopp will take a look at Wisdom as a centre back this summer

None at all I'd imagine.

Prefer Jonas Hector to Chilwell/Cresswell but I can see the logic with home grown quotas and whatnot.

Wisdom is a beaten docket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wisdom is a beaten docket

Doesn't look good, thought he'd break through, still as Leicester showed, these players can go on and have a good career.

Ojo will never make it. (reverse jinx)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Someone just posted this up

Phil just loves playing against Man City!

and Marko Grujic is a Serbian League champion

Is boards broke again?

Damn Leicester fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

K-9 wrote: »
    Doesn't look good, thought he'd break through, still as Leicester showed, these players can go on and have a good career.

Ojo will never make it. (reverse jinx)

Exactly - just because players aren't good enough at that young age doesn't mean they never will be.

Plenty of players - in fact the average player I would presume - develop consistently, learning as they go, to reach their full potential in their mid 20's. Clubs at the very top just can't wait for this to happen though. The only youths that 'make it' at these kinds of clubs are the extremely rare exceptions.

There has definitely become a warped sense of reality when it comes to the expectations of young players though. Ibe for instance is still probably way ahead of the curve - just not quite enough ahead to make it at Pool at this point in time.

• Advertisement

Alonso!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Is boards broke again?

Damn Leicester fans

Was for a minute there, seems to be ok now

Was for a minute there, seems to be ok now

They've switched to Bayern already. Fairweathers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

The graveyards are full of irreplaceable footballers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Alonso!

I remember people arguing they didn't want him back 2 years ago that his legs were gone.

I remember people arguing they didn't want him back 2 years ago that his legs were gone.

:o

(its the PED's :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He's no Gareth Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Alonso!

Assist for Torres! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Im really worried about the lack of an away goal last week it makes a huge difference.

• Advertisement

Im really worried about the lack of an away goal last week it makes a huge difference.

It does, but at the same time might provide some focus on what needs to be accomplished. No cageyness, we know exactly what needs to be accomplished.

Really need to come out of the traps early and hard. I'm terrified of ending up at the 80 minute mark, 2-0 up though. That's my nightmare right now, us clinging on for dear life, dropping deeper and deeper, knowing any slip up puts us out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well if Sturridge plays he is either playing to show Klopp what he can do or he is playing for a move away either would be good.

Just as long as sulky Sturridge doesn't turn up.

I have a feeling I know which one will turn up thought.

Liverpool U21s played Chesterfield U21s in a fund raiser for the League One's Academy side this evening - winning 5-0, the home sides best chance came when Bodgan kicked out to a Spireites player!

Liverpool: Bogdan (gk), Lewis, Hart, Brewitt, Jones, Virtue, Kent, Gomez, Lennon x2, Phillips, Texeira

Subs: Whelan, Ejaria, Maguire, Polgar, Sinclair, O'Hanlon Alves, Firth (gk)

Bigtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Going to be very tough to beat atletico in the super cup lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

rob316 wrote: »
    Going to be very tough to beat atletico in the super cup lads

We'll have Courtois, Godin, Griezzmann, Gundogan, Reus and Gotze by then though

• Advertisement

For keepers, along with all the usual names, i'd actually be pretty open with Schmeichel to be honest. Been quietly impressive this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

We'll have Courtois, Godin, Griezzmann, Gundogan, Reus and Gotze by then though

And Balotelli back from loan.

I always wondered if Liverpool under Benitez just gave one year of focus on the PL instead of the CL and cups would we have won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Was he in an industrial accident...?

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I always wondered if Liverpool under Benitez just gave one year of focus on the PL instead of the CL and cups would we have won it.

If we had punted European matches in 2008 / 9 it would have potentially taken us over the line, sure. But that was never the point of Benitez's reign, where playing 60 game plus seasons and attempting to compete in the league and the cups was a fundamental underpinning requirement.

• Advertisement

If we had punted European matches in 2008 / 9 it would have potentially taken us over the line, sure. But that was never the point of Benitez's reign, where playing 60 game plus seasons and attempting to compete in the league and the cups was a fundamental underpinning requirement.

I think so too that season. Looking back at the games that cost us league points that year were the draws with Fulham immediately before a CL game and West Ham immediately afterwards.

Then the draw with Hull immediately after the last group game.

We also lost the game to Middlesbrough in between the Real Madrid games.

In 08/09 we had a great 1st 11 team but unfortunately we never had enough quality in the squad to compete in all competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bailly is fit for Villarreal. Big boost for them as he is there best defender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Apparently we have launched an £11.9m bid for Piotr Zielinski

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/727574605859311617

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Apparently we have launched an £11.9m bid for Piotr Zielinski

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/727574605859311617

Wasn;t he one of the ghostbusters?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Wasn;t he one of the ghostbusters?

There's male Ghostbusters?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Behave yourself Mr Turd! A picture that size being posted gets you a wag of the finger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Linked again with kevin volland

5starpool wrote: »
    Behave yourself Mr Turd! A picture that size being posted gets you a wag of the finger.

Apologies, On touch site so pics just fit to screen.

Gone now, wouldn't want to be giving and unnecessary incentive for finger wagging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

ricero wrote: »
    Linked again with kevin voland
    £14m release clause, we should be all over that like a wet t-shirt on Pamela Anderson.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/655657/Liverpool-Transfer-News-Match-Release-Clause-Hoffenheim-Striker-Kevin-Voland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Had a look at his goalscoring stats there after we got linked with him again. They're not as good as I thought they were. Seems like he scores goals, but is not a great goalscorer.

If we were going to take a risk on someone like that from a foreign, I'd rather they be getting big numbers cos the step up to England is tough. Suarez was getting big big numbers before moving to us at a similar age, and still found it tough to score initially, even though we could see his obvious talents, the numbers were not there for an out & out striker.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement