Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Delighted for Sturridge...he looked genuinely ecstatic when he scored, great to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    In fairness, most people with a ounce of sense would rather Europa Cup plus Champions league place over FA cup..

Is it even a debate?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

In fairness, most people with a ounce of sense would rather Europa Cup plus Champions league place over FA cup..

Only 1 person there is actually making that claim. Hardly representative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Is it even a debate?

No. Yer man on the other thread must be seething with stupidity this evening. Or perhaps full time stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

monkey9 wrote: »
    He was actually trying to mythologise this Villarreal team last week.

There are things in this world more embarrassing than doing an impression of what a stupid person thinks an intelligent person sounds like. There's just not an awful lot of those things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is it even a debate?

It was one guy and he was shut down pretty quick.

You will not attract top/emerging European Talent by winning an FA Cup because quite frankly young lads now a days never grew up knowing the magic of the FA Cup, those days are long gone (although I wouldn't turn my nose up at winning another FA Cup)

These kids/future stars grow up watching Champions League and Europa League and they want to put themselves against the other top/up and coming players in Europe not some 4th Division player in England.

That's why the likes of CL and EL are more important than the FA Cup now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The chap trying to claim the FA Cup is > Europa League/CL League qualification is surely a low point for him. He's hurting right now. He's hurting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

corwill wrote: »
    There are things in this world more embarrassing than doing an impression of what a stupid person thinks an intelligent person sounds like. There's just not an awful lot of those things.

I thought my impression was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The chap trying to claim the FA Cup is > Europa League/CL League qualification is surely a low point for him. He's hurting right now. He's hurting.

It's great craic over there. Literally any of us can go over and post a completely relevant, fair and logical post and they'll find a way to turn it into a dig.

It's an enjoyable thread at times, it really is.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I thought my impression was good.

Needs more pivot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Well done lads,didn't watch the game in fairness but good result regardless,

Would gladly swap your final for ours,amazing the difference a competent manager can make to a team

martyos121 wrote: »
    It's great craic over there. Literally any of us can go over and post a completely relevant, fair and logical post and they'll find a way to turn it into a dig.

It's an enjoyable thread at times, it really is.

I've never posted over there, but I take a peek from time to time. As often as not, they're talking about us, which is what they're like in real life, tbf.

But the monocles dropping into glasses of Pimms from the shock of anyone "intruding" with an auld zinger the odd time is priceless. They should have paid more attention to Candyman!

Those boys really want to touch that sign next year. Great move by Klopp. He's done a Clough 'throw your medals in the bin' but with a tad more subtlety.

I hate to nitpick but Moreno has to go. He tried his best to give away a peno in the 77th minute.

We couldn't have a harder game in the final than Sevilla though, so if we do win it we really have done it the hard way.

Absolutely buzzing in anticipation of the final.

Needs more pivot.

Do you even know what a pivot is? Have you actually read any material on pivots? Should you be embarrassed by your post? You're God damn right you should be!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

emmetkenny wrote: »
    It was one guy and he was shut down pretty quick.

You will not attract top/emerging European Talent by winning an FA Cup because quite frankly young lads now a days never grew up knowing the magic of the FA Cup, those days are long gone (although I wouldn't turn my nose up at winning another FA Cup)

These kids/future stars grow up watching Champions League and Europa League and they want to put themselves against the other top/up and coming players in Europe not some 4th Division player in England.

That's why the likes of CL and EL are more important than the FA Cup now.

Actually, it's more likely money is the deciding factor. Chances are that most players offered 70k at Liverpool with CL next season, or 100k at Utd with EL would still choose them. The Klopp factor is probably our main advantage at the moment, but it still ranks below money for most top players given a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Those boys really want to touch that sign next year. Great move by Klopp. He's done a Clough 'throw your medals in the bin' but with a tad more subtlety.

I hate to nitpick but Moreno has to go. He tried his best to give away a peno in the 77th minute.

We couldn't have a harder game in the final than Sevilla though, so if we do win it we really have done it the hard way.

Apparently Klopp gave Moreno an almighty bollocking from the sideline at one point. Definitely think we'll be signing a new LB in the Summer.

It's not nitpicking at all, it's an obvious observation. He's awful and he's an absolute idiot on the pitch. He needs to be replaced. There shouldn't even be a discussion about this apart from who we replace him with, (Aaron Cresswell at West Ham would be my pick)

Do you even know what a pivot is? Have you actually read any material on pivots? Should you be embarrassed by your post? You're God damn right you should be!!

I have volumes I to XXVIII of "Pivotal Musings", by a celebrated sage of these parts, I'll have you know, and in the original Medieval Low Slavonian.

It really gets going from volume XIX on, where you learn how the greatest accomplishment of mankind since the discovery of penicillin is 11 snide ****houses in Norwich jerseys playing Kinnear-ball circa 1999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

That Sturridge video is a bit strange, does he expect the boys to wait for him to pee?

Doesn't seem happy though unfortunately.... :(

Fieldog wrote: »
    That Sturridge video is a bit strange, does he expect the boys to wait for him to pee?

Brendan would have drank a few pints of it, in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lol I think Sturridge's sense of humpur confuses people at times.

I have volumes I to XXVIII of "Pivotal Musings", by a celebrated sage of these parts, I'll have you know, and in the original Medieval Low Slavonian.

It really gets going from volume XIX on, where you learn how the greatest accomplishment of mankind since the discovery of penicillin is 11 snide ****houses in Norwich jerseys playing Kinnear-ball circa 1999.

I'm sorry, you've lost me. Could you explain this through visual aids please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

MD1990 wrote: »
    Lol I think Sturridge's sense of humpur confuses people at times.

He seems a bit odd alright, he defo needs a song, and it might chill him out a bit.... :)

Our current situation is a win - win.

If we beat Sevilla we are back in the Champions League and can recruit accordingly with the status and money that comes with it.

If we lose then we win the league next year. We won't be in Europe and Klopp will not know himself having 7 days to prepare for every game. I really mean this. The consolation of a loss would be the league title next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Our current situation is a win - win.

If we beat Sevilla we are back in the Champions League and can recruit accordingly with the status and money that comes with it.

If we lose then we win the league next year. We won't be in Europe and Klopp will not know himself having 7 days to prepare for every game. I really mean this. The consolation of a loss would be the league title next year.

I never want a season without European football again.

He's clearly joking. I mean, don't get me wrong, his banter isn't exactly top notch, but people are taking that video way too seriously and not seeing it for what it actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Knex. wrote: »
    I never want a season without European football again.

13/14 not memorable?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I'm sorry, you've lost me. Could you explain this through visual aids please.

What, and appeal to the lowest common denominator?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Such a magic thank you to and from Anfield.

https://streamable.com/41kb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Nights like tonight is why we should always aim to be in Europe and why the Europa should be taking seriously.......it has been a great run to the final, some great experience gained from tactical two legged games and a massive prize on offer is one game away.....

If citytilidie reads this, how big of a 'f*ck you' are we giving to the Italian teams by going so far in the competition?

NukaCola wrote: »
    Nights like tonight is why we should always aim to be in Europe and why the Europa should be taking seriously.......it has been a great run to the final, some great experience gained from tactical two legged games and a massive prize on offer is one game away.....

Win the final, go out of the CL bottom of our group and then we put all our focus on the FA Cup after Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

The next time someone on this thread doubts Emre Can they should get a forum ban!!!

What a night, just back from the pub and delighted i took tomorrow off. A sensational performance. Read throught the match thread to relive it and it was great, tho I shook my head at those who were seemingly waiting for Moreno to make a mistake and post about it (their first post in the thread ofc). Now I know I rate him higher than most, and maybe higher than I really should (and he deserves) but that lad leaves it all on the field. He might mess up at times (sometimes at the worst time) but he shows as much commitment as any of the "local lads" and is more talented than most of them too. Thought he was great tonight in general. But they all were. Even Mignolet did his job. Dejan Lovern looking like Canavaro out there, getting a foot on everything. Firmino with turns that Zidane would have been proud of. There was luck in our goals but we earned that luck. We played with passion and skill. A beautiful combination that will make it hard to sleep tonight... tho the beer will help with that. Come on you reds! You beautiful bast@rds.

Emre I love you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Milner gave a captains performance tonight, imo. I've been a very big doubter of him this season but I have to admit he's been excellent recently. I was afraid at the start that we'd be too inexperienced for the occasion but he stood up and showed real leadership, same with Kolo. It can't be understated how much of a difference real leaders make to a team and we've lacked it for too long. Kolo is far from the best player in the squad but he's one of the most experienced and someone to look up to and it showed tonight.

I don't post too often any more in this thread but over the last few years I've been vocal about our need for a top class centre mid as we haven't had one since Xabi left. I think we'd have had a lot of success if we did have that one player in the middle to drive us. We've always had good flair players and been good in other areas but we've always been just missing that one player.

I genuinely think we're after finding him in Emre Can. I actually can't put into words how excited I am about him. He has everything we were lacking. I think he'll be world class in the next year or 2 under Klopp. I wouldn't even mind him getting the captaincy next year, I love him that much.

And his hair is fcuking unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    The next time someone on this thread doubts Emre Can they should get a forum ban!!!

What a night, just back from the pub and delighted i took tomorrow off. A sensational performance. Read throught the match thread to relive it and it was great, tho I shook my head at those who were seemingly waiting for Moreno to make a mistake and post about it (their first post in the thread ofc). Now I know I rate him higher than most, and maybe higher than I really should (and he deserves) but that lad leaves it all on the field. He might mess up at times (sometimes at the worst time) but he shows as much commitment as any of the "local lads" and is more talented than most of them too. Thought he was great tonight in general. But they all were. Even Mignolet did his job. Dejan Lovern looking like Canavaro out there, getting a foot on everything. Firmino with turns that Zidane would have been proud of. There was luck in our goals but we earned that luck. We played with passion and skill. A beautiful combination that will make it hard to sleep tonight... tho the beer will help with that. Come on you reds! You beautiful bast@rds.

Emre I love you.

Moreno is so frustrating. There's serious talent there but he just can't manage to get the basics right. Defending is number one but he gets found wanting too much. In fairness to him, though, I like him. He has great heart, he seems to like Liverpool and he's very good on the ball. I actually thought he played well tonight, he kept Suarez quiet and he offered a good outlet on the wing. It's not an easy job playing as a fb in a team with no real wingers.

He really needs to cut out the stupid stuff though. That push in the box nearly made me puke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

hefferboi wrote: »
    Moreno is so frustrating. There's serious talent there but he just can't manage to get the basics right. Defending is number one but he gets found wanting too much. In fairness to him, though, I like him. He has great heart, he seems to like Liverpool and he's very good on the ball. I actually thought he played well tonight, he kept Suarez quiet and he offered a good outlet on the wing. It's not an easy job playing as a fb in a team with no real wingers.

He really needs to cut out the stupid stuff though. That push in the box nearly made me puke.

He's a bit mad and he's FAR from perfect but there's not many fullbacks i'd have ahead of him. He gets up and down all day and he can be a bit dodgy at the back and his final ball can be lacking. But thats the modern fullback. He's a bit like Sakho in that he's on drugs... sorry I meant to say he's unconventional. If we could realistically upgrade on him great but i'm not sure there's a left back in the league i'd have over him tbh. He was up and down that pitch all night and if he ever does figure out how to relax in a game and make more reasoned decisions then he'll look great in a Madrid shirt when we sell him for 50m.

I can't agree with you on Moreno.

I don't doubt his commitment one bit.

I do doubt his ability and his game intelligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Gotta admit i was giggiling like a schoolgirl last ngt when klopp was doing his after match fist pumps for the crowd ,huge smile on my face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Brilliant brilliant brilliant!! :)

Hopefully the last three rounds of this competition and the impending final against the mighty Sevilla have a cleansing effect. We had slipped into a rut in European football - not just in terms of results - but in terms of having a focus and outlook on European games that didn't fit with our history. Punting a CL tie against Madrid is hopefully something we'll be able to look back on as an historic lowpoint in years to come.

Klopp gets it, and this squad should hopefully have benefitted hugely from the experience and carry it forward to next season. But make no mistake, the expectations / pressure next season will need to be higher. If these players are good enough to beat Dortmund and Villareal over two legs they're good enough to be doing better in the league. I expect us to improve the squad in the summer and improve our ppg average. This run convinces me they are reasonable expectations.

Hopefully we never again get locked into dumb arguments on here about how the league is all that matters or we don't want to be in the Europa League, etc. Liverpool are supposed to be playing 60 game plus seasons and challenging on multiple fronts. Klopp has instantly cracked some of that. Roll on the rest.

Europe, no matter what competition, is a great promotion and advertisement for LFC. People rightly say players don't remember the 70's and 80's, but they remember the likes of Istanbul, they'll remember nights like last night and the atmosphere and the way it all looked and sounded.

Liverpool should be in Europe every season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Moreno is all heart
    No brains at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Europe, no matter what competition, is a great promotion and advertisement for LFC. People rightly say players don't remember the 70's and 80's, but they remember the likes of Istanbul, they'll remember nights like last night and the atmosphere and the way it all looked and sounded.

Liverpool should be in Europe every season.

I agree with your overall message. European football is only a good thing for Liverpool.

However, I don't get the comparison of Istanbul vs the success in the 70s/80s. Players remember (and speak of) Istanbul because it wasn't so long ago. Most of the players weren't even born yet in the 70s... or even the 80s so how could they remember them? Also, there was European success back then too. In 20 years time, the players of Liverpool aren't going to remember Istanbul... they'll remember the back to back treble wins of the 20s :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

See Sturridge's celebration tonight? That's what the fans want to see, not that stupid bleedin' dance of his.

TAKE THAT BACK...I LOVE THE DANCE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Turtyturd wrote: »
    In Denis Suarez is a man who had the Suarez name bestowed upon him but in reality he is not fit to carry such a title and would be best served to change it by deed poll.

DenisSuarezisnottheman

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

That was just f*cking awesome last night.
    The tough tackling from both side, us not getting involved in moaning and watching the yellows get upset and losing the rag.
    Can becoming the midfielder we are crying out for who will control and dictate a game, hold onto the ball to alleviate pressure.
    Firmino gliding around the pitch, I think Soldado is still looking for him after that 'round the world'. Firmino is impressing me more and more each game. Chalked up another amazing assist last night as well.
    Toure is a hero.
    Lovren is just keeping it simple, when he plays the basics he is top drawer.
    Mig made some fine stops in the first half and was very comfortable on the ball, he had it alot at his feet last night.
    I could go on about every player that togged out for us, even Moreno, he put everything into that performance, even his madness. Sturridge holding the ball in the final third is something we have sorely missed.
    Heck, even Bentekkers came on and dribbled past about 7 players with a lovely lay off.

I love Liverpool. F*cking love LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I agree on Moreno, I like the guy but I'm getting tired of assuming there's a brainfart on the way.
    Can't fault his attitude one bit though.

Let's just move him up like Bale though and save everyone the heart skips.

Also...
    Ich leibe Can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

How the hell has Basel been selected as the stadium for the final, it has a capacity of 36,000 for UEFA games. That's a joke.

I was there last season for our CL group game v Basel. Not only is it tiny, it's an absolute disaster to get in and out of. Queued for about 25mins to get inside and took longer to get out, main roads either side that weren't closed. And that was with what, 1,000 Liverpool fans? 10 times that will be tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Moreno would be great if he was moved forward, get him bombing up the wing, he's just not a defender though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

8-10 wrote: »
    I was there last season for our CL group game v Basel. Not only is it tiny, it's an absolute disaster to get in and out of. Queued for about 25mins to get inside and took longer to get out, main roads either side that weren't closed. And that was with what, 1,000 Liverpool fans? 10 times that will be tough.

Yeah but after we win the cup that's a perfect number for a party. :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement