Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    That was quite simply an excellent programme.

It was also, still, a very very tough watch.

I'll be honest and admit that I shed a few tears watching that tonight.

It was truly harrowing but yet inspirational to see it through from that awful day to the events of last month.

I recall watching the match as a 12 year old but I must admit as an arsenal fan I never really took the time to properly understand what actually happened that day and what the justice campaign actually meant and what the families endured all these years.

I can't really write what I felt after watching that programme as its more of a feeling but I will say I'm so glad I finally educated myself regarding the facts of the tragedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Raging I missed this doc, does anyone know if the version will be on BBC again soon?

No but its linked below

ESPN 30 for 30 Soccer Stories S01E01 Hillsborough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdGmaWsHjU8

This version does not have the inquest verdicts as it was made before that ended (the BBC added that for tonight)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Phil Scraton is certainly someone deserving of the title 'hero'. He worked and investigated tirelessly throughout on behalf of the families and on behalf of seeking truth and justice.

He currently teaches in Belfast, and I happened to meet him by chance in Queens University on my way to work. I said a quick thank you for what he helped uncover and achieve, and he was incredibly humble. A true gent and hero in every sense of the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Glico Man wrote: »
    Phil Scraton is certainly someone deserving of the title 'hero'. He worked and investigated tirelessly throughout on behalf of the families and on behalf of seeking truth and justice.

He currently teaches in Belfast, and I happened to meet him by chance in Queens University on my way to work. I said a quick thank you for what he helped uncover and achieve, and he was incredibly humble. A true gent and hero in every sense of the word.

He's an exceptional person and certainly deserves some sort of recognition - although he probably wouldn't want that. But the work he's done for the families is incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Glico Man wrote: »

I hadn't realised the depth of his influence on the campaign for the 96.

If you haven't watched the documentary tonight I'd implore you to do so. It's gut wrenching. Nobody should go to a game and not come home and nobody should be treated like the families of those fans.

Special mention also to Andy Burnham, he backed up his promise to help get justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Very moving , was welling up in the first few minutes. No mater how many times I watch or hear something about Hillsborough, it has the same effect.
    The one that was on the other night was the 1996 docudrama

Was that the Jimmy McGovern one? Not sure seen that since it was first aired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's up on the BBC iPlayer for those who can get it and haven't seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Very moving , was welling up in the first few minutes. No mater how many times I watch or hear something about Hillsborough, it has the same effect.

Was that the Jimmy McGovern one? Not sure seen that since it was first aired.

Yea it was the Jimmy McGovern one, it maybe on demand it is on demand up North

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Yea it was the Jimmy McGovern one, it maybe on demand it is on demand up North

It's on youtube I'm fairly sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Liverpool interested in hijacking Chelseas bid for Antonio Rudiger

£15million apparently, German international centre back on loan at Roma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

If his name is Rudiger... I'm all for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Can't believe Iago Aspas has scored 16 goals in La Liga this season. Suarez has 37 which is incredible, 11 of those are in his last 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'll watch the Hillsborough doc tonight, it really is true that the Taylor report uncovered a lot of this, the police succeeded in diverting from it through PR spin and the help of the press. Still at it to this day. Many a gullible fool fell for it.

The inquest got Dickenfield to finally admit the truth. Reading about the few weeks up to it and his lack of action even early on in the day, before the build up at the Lepping's Lane end, his arrogance combined with ineptitude lead to such an easily avoidable catastrophe.

As for the Europa next year, Chelsea won't have it, so they'll probably be back up. Billic will probably ignore it again if WH qualify, same as Koeman. The facts are there, Europa affects league performance, Hell, We are Proof of that This Season. With Klopp adding to the squad we might do it, it just makes it more difficult.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can't believe Iago Aspas has scored 16 goals in La Liga this season. Suarez has 37 which is incredible, 11 of those are in his last 4 games.

I really liked him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I really liked him.

I thought he would have been a diamond in the rough, too bad he was just rough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

It’s been said before by many, and I am sure will be said again, truth is stranger than fiction.

Thankfully in the case of Hillsborough the actual truth has eventually came to be the accepted public knowledge.

A great documentary last night, incredible stuff. How those families could continue to deal with put down after put down and maintain their dignity against such absolute disgraceful institutionalised corruption….absolutely amazing people. Also to the police that contributed to the show and the men on the ground that day, they really were amazing folk who clearly worked as hard as they could on the day but were just effectively pissed all over by their hierarchy who couldn’t afford to let the precedent of absolute power slip. As one of them said the role of the police is to protect the people….

TV is a very powerful medium for telling such stories, but of course TV was an important medium in making sure everyone got the original Yorkshire Police version of events during the actual event back in 1989, to plant that seed and spread the propaganda that it was all the rogue fans fault.
    When people were all over Making A Murderer on Netflix at the turn of the year, many commented that “It could only happen in America” etc. While not trying to trivialise Hillsborough by comparing it to M.A.M., it is amazing that the Hillsborough Tragedy was allowed to spin into what it became when you consider the event was broadcast live on TV and Liverpool FC were such a wealthy and powerful club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The new home kit is being unveiled later this afternoon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Vicxas wrote: »
    I thought he would have been a diamond in the rough, too bad he was just rough.

His corners were sublime tho :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

emmetkenny wrote: »

We all know what it looks like anyway, don't we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

kfallon wrote: »

Red?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

My biggest shock, watching the documentary last night, that an experienced Police Chief, who had previously overseen Semi Finals at Hillsborough, had been transferred in the weeks before hand due to bullying/intimidation within his division, AND that there had also been crush issues at Hillsborough at the 1981 Semi Final. Two incidents I was not previously aware of.
    kfallon wrote: »

Is it right that 2016/17 is the final season of the Warrior/New Balance deal. Probably meaning another new shirt or even manufacturer for 2017/18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

emmetkenny wrote: »

For the year that's in it with the great Anfield atmosphere for Dortmund and Villarreal games, I'd love the club to go with a bright yellow kit as next year's away kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

8-10 wrote: »
    For the year that's in it with the great Anfield atmosphere for Dortmund and Villarreal games, I'd love the club to go with a bright yellow kit as next year's away kit

Apart from that game away at Watford

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Is it right that 2016/17 is the final season of the Warrior/New Balance deal. Probably meaning another new shirt or even manufacturer for 2017/18.

There are 3 new shirts every year, that's the way the deals work now for the top clubs. It's disgraceful tbh but big manufacturer deals means they have to get their money back and that's how it's done.

I'd hate to be a parent now, 3 new kits every year and if you wait til Christmas to get your kid a kit they only have til start of May and then it's out of date!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Sevilla are no great shakes in La liga this year, currently 7th, won't finish any higher, won 2 in the last 10 etc..
    No more than ourselves their season hinges on the final, could well be another Alaves type game!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Sevilla are no great shakes in La liga this year, currently 7th, won't finish any higher, won 2 in the last 10 etc..
    No more than ourselves their season hinges on the final, could well be another Alaves type game!

Speaking of the Alaves game has anyone listened to Carragher on The Big Interview with Graham Hunter from 2015? Talks about the treble season and how absolutely wasted they were by the time the Alaves game came around. On the way to the stadium he said you wouldnt have known on the bus that it was a cup final they were going to. And the same after they had won it, just completely mentally sapped.

I think they'll be up for the 63rd (?!) game of the season this time.

Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard says he will return to Anfield ‘sooner rather than later’.

“I don’t want to start any unnecessary rumours. I’m really happy where I am at the moment. But I’m sure somewhere down the line I will represent Liverpool football club.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steven-gerrard-return-liverpool-sooner-11303560

This final really is the biggest and probably most important game in a decade for the club.

If we win we go into the CL with one of the top 5 managers in the world leading us into a new exciting future along with all the TV money that enters the game next season we should be well able to compete with the richer clubs for top talent that a world class manager and CL football can bring.

• Advertisement

gafferino wrote: »
    Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard says he will return to Anfield ‘sooner rather than later’.

“I don’t want to start any unnecessary rumours. I’m really happy where I am at the moment. But I’m sure somewhere down the line I will represent Liverpool football club.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steven-gerrard-return-liverpool-sooner-11303560

cuppastfu.jpg

So here is an unnecessary rumour for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Delighted to see that waster jose enrique has been released

This final really is the biggest and probably most important game in a decade for the club.

If we win we go into the CL with one of the top 5 managers in the world leading us into a new exciting future along with all the TV money that enters the game next season we should be well able to compete with the richer clubs for top talent that a world class manager and CL football can bring.

It is up there alright but the Chelsea league game 2 years ago was the most important since Istanbul IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ricero wrote: »
    Delighted to see that waster jose enrique has been released

Long wait for the new Fifa for him. I can't imagine what Klopp thought when he seen him waddle into Melwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

ERG89 wrote: »
    Long wait for the new Fifa for him. I can't imagine what Klopp thought when he seen him waddle into Melwood.

https://twitter.com/LivEchoLFC/status/729636204698841090

My Link deleted as it's bigger than Enrique!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Colemania wrote: »

In fairness, £ has 6 league goals and 12 in all comps this year.

Still pretty excited with Ojo, though, very promising indeed.

Sterling would have gone to another level under Klopp imo. Shame

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

He started brightly at city but has been very poor in the second half of this season. Be interesting to see how he does under pep. Starting to look like he moved too soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Jose Enrique appears to be one of the least ambitious footballers I've ever seen.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Jose Enrique appears to be one of the least ambitious footballers I've ever seen.

He's no Winston Bogarde!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Sterling would have gone to another level under Klopp imo. Shame

I'm in 2 minds about if I'm happier to have £40m for him or flog him later. Can imagine some saying Pep will help him....can't do a worse job than he did with Götze anyway.

He'll probably end up somewhere like Villa or back at Newcastle in the Championship. God help his next club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Harsh on Enrique. Solid under Kenny and initially under 'The Rodgers' then got frozen out by him.

Absolutely no issue with him seeing out his contract. Maybe he'll reunite with Pacheco for some underwear wrestling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Harsh on Enrique. Solid under Kenny and initially under 'The Rodgers' then got frozen out by him.

Absolutely no issue with him seeing out his contract. Maybe he'll reunite with Pacheco for some underwear wrestling.

Yeah, he put in a good shift when on the pitch for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Anyone suggest a good bar to watch the Europa League final in next week with fellow Liverpool Heads in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

It is up there alright but the Chelsea league game 2 years ago was the most important since Istanbul IMO.
    Without a shadow of a doubt!
    One game = "being able to compete"
    The other game = The best in the league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Anyone suggest a good bar to watch the Europa League final in next week with fellow Liverpool Heads in Dublin?

Becky Morgan's on Grand Canal St. Gets a good local Liverpool crowd and a great pint of Guinness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Loves a holiday. Should be a travel presenter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement