Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Anyone suggest a good bar to watch the Europa League final in next week with fellow Liverpool Heads in Dublin?

Sinnots is a good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Anyone suggest a good bar to watch the Europa League final in next week with fellow Liverpool Heads in Dublin?

Yeah theres a place called the GPO and if.... :P

The Trinity bar on Dame st is the place to go. Irishkop or one of the supporters groups have made it their own and place full of banners etc. Good craic on match day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

still not recovered from Thursday night! probably the best game I've been at atmosphere wise.

Really want to watch it back now, took me a while to figure out who scored the third!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

FitzShane wrote: »
    still not recovered from Thursday night! probably the best game I've been at atmosphere wise.

Really want to watch it back now, took me a while to figure out who scored the third!

I watched it half-cut in a bar in Malaga, whooping and cheering, despite being one of only two in the place paying attention. The other was a non-local "neutral", who didn't enjoy it one bit, studiously avoided eye contact with me, and left in a huff at full time! Added to the fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Grayditch wrote: »
    Jose Enrique appears to be one of the least ambitious footballers I've ever seen.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Harsh on Enrique. Solid under Kenny and initially under 'The Rodgers' then got frozen out by him.

Absolutely no issue with him seeing out his contract. Maybe he'll reunite with Pacheco for some underwear wrestling.

Indeed, particularly when you consider that it looks like he never recovered from those knee injuries. He's just not the player he was, any deal he'd have been offered would have been a fraction of what he's on.

Can't blame him for sacrificing playing at a much lower level in favor of seeing out his contract in the reserves and securing his family's future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Indeed, particularly when you consider that it looks like he never recovered from those knee injuries. He's just not the player he was, any deal he'd have been offered would have been a fraction of what he's on.

Can't blame him for sacrificing playing at a much lower level in favor of seeing out his contract in the reserves and securing his family's future.

Meh. His persona in the past 3-4 years really got on my tits. Happy with the idea of being a footballer without ever actually playing like one.
    Dozens of playrs, many higher profile than him and many with far worse injuries made it back at the highest level. I'd question his desire to ever get back to the required level.
    The last few times I've seen him in a red jersey he's been phoning it in. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

mosstin wrote: »
    Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.
    I love the way we're all YNWA when it suits us but when a player gets injured playing for us and doesn't recover sufficiently from those injuries to play at the 1st team level some 'supporters' slate him for not trying and are glad to see the back of him.

It's a pretty shallow way to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

West ham to bid 25m for benteke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Dont hold a grudge against Enrique, its probably mostly perception with him with the selfies on holidays while he's out injured and raking in his contracted wage......it just doesn't look good, and will never go down well........

As for we're only YNWA when it suits I'd say I'm like that, maybe not all the time, but just because we sing YNWA doesn't mean all players/managers are deserving of it..........a player of high quality giving his all will endear himself to the fans whereas a lazy/poor player will not, its human nature lets be honest......some players we are happy to see go and others we are not.......I mean I'm sure Mignolet is a grand decent bloke, I hate when he plays for us though, we all have our favourites and players we dont rate, to say different is a lie.......

Thai batt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Fantastic deal for us......i rate Benteke but he's broken for us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

SELL SELL SELL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

FitzShane wrote: »

Ditto. Was my first game in awhile and first European match at Anfield. Being in the Kop on a night like that is pretty special. Bit disappointed I missed out on team arrival due to mental matchday traffic on route to the stadium. Great night. Let's hope we finish job now Wednesday week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

West Ham are going big time Charlies next season with signings would be my guess.

I saw today they are now the biggest season ticket club in London with 58k season tickets sold for next season it leaves only behind utd.

£25m for Benteke is better than I thought we would get so I'd bite the hand off any club offering that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I thought they were after some Ligue Un/Une (male/female?) hot shot?

edit Batshuayi is who I was thinking of.

West Ham are going big time Charlies next season with signings would be my guess.

I saw today they are now the biggest season ticket club in London with 58k season tickets sold for next season it leaves only behind utd.

£25m for Benteke is better than I thought we would get so I'd bite the hand off any club offering that.

They are paying a small fee on their stadium too. They should spend big alright. 58k season tickets is huge. What's the capacity?

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    They are paying a small fee on their stadium too. They should spend big alright. 58k season tickets is huge. What's the capacity?

That should have been 50k hit the 8 instead of the 0.
    West Ham have sold all of their season tickets for next season, when they move to the Olympic Stadium in east London.

The club says it will have more than 50,000 season ticket holders at the 60,000-capacity stadium, which was used at the London 2012 Olympics.

It's 60k seater.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36245311

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Id rather sell benteke abroad, as you know he's guaranteedmy score against us. He's doubly so. He always played well against us and he'll now have the former player voodoo going for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    They are paying a small fee on their stadium too.

The whole thing is it's not their stadium. They won't even have to pay for the corner flags. They pay £2.5m rent per season for 25 games and £100,000 for each additional game over that number. Peanuts.

• Advertisement

Impressive.

8-10 wrote: »
    The whole thing is it's not their stadium. They won't even have to pay for the corner flags. They pay £2.5m rent per season for 25 games and £100,000 for each additional game over that number. Peanuts.

Yeah that's what I meant. Small loan fee.

Shrewd business.

Do they plan to ever own it I wonder?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Benteke and Carroll would both score hatricks against us playing for West Ham.

5starpool wrote: »
    Benteke and Carroll would both score hatricks against us playing for West Ham.

The good news is that if they are together it's only a 6 point forfeit at worst!

NukaCola wrote: »
    Dont hold a grudge against Enrique, its probably mostly perception with him with the selfies on holidays while he's out injured and raking in his contracted wage......it just doesn't look good, and will never go down well........

As for we're only YNWA when it suits I'd say I'm like that, maybe not all the time, but just because we sing YNWA doesn't mean all players/managers are deserving of it..........a player of high quality giving his all will endear himself to the fans whereas a lazy/poor player will not, its human nature lets be honest......some players we are happy to see go and others we are not.......I mean I'm sure Mignolet is a grand decent bloke, I hate when he plays for us though, we all have our favourites and players we dont rate, to say different is a lie.......

No issue with this at all. YNWA should be reciprocal. Player works hard in training and tries his absolute best whenever asked to play he should be supported by the club and it's fans regardless of whether the club over paid for him or not.

A player who doesn't train hard and can't be ar$ed putting the effort in when on the pitch (I'm thinking of you Mario!!) does not deserve the support of the club or its fans but a player whose career at the top level has effectively been ended by injuries playing for us is an entirely different story and Enrique falls into that category. No doubt pictures of him with his GF having a whale of a time in Dubai whilst "injured" aren't the smartest PR move in the world but in fairness if he's given the time off and had the money what would any of us be doing?

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

NukaCola wrote: »

Others moved on to get more game time, some giving up lucrative contracts.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

No issue with this at all. YNWA should be reciprocal. Player works hard in training and tries his absolute best whenever asked to play he should be supported by the club and it's fans regardless of whether the club over paid for him or not.

A player who doesn't train hard and can't be ar$ed putting the effort in when on the pitch (I'm thinking of you Mario!!) does not deserve the support of the club or its fans but a player whose career at the top level has effectively been ended by injuries playing for us is an entirely different story and Enrique falls into that category. No doubt pictures of him with his GF having a whale of a time in Dubai whilst "injured" aren't the smartest PR move in the world but in fairness if he's given the time off and had the money what would any of us be doing?

:D

K-9 wrote: »
    Others moved on to get more game time, some giving up lucrative contracts.
    He can play all the game he likes now. I can't see any reason why a player should financially lose out if he's injured playing for us.

Are you seriously suggesting the right thing for a player to do is to cut short his contract to move to a club on lower wages where he might get more games (or might be injured again a week later) in addition to the fact that aged 30 if his knees weren't knackered he'd easily pick up a 3 year gig on solid wages given he'd be a free transfer (Glen Johnson to Stoke being the perfect example) but the injury he got playing for us will prevent that from happening. Double whammy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Does anyone know if we're on tv on Sunday?
    Also the barca match?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Does anyone know if we're on tv on Sunday?
    Also the barca match?

I'd say Barca will be on TV, aren't they always.

Probably just streaming for the West Bromwich game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Myself a few others want to go to an Anfield league match next season. Does membership give you a reasonable chance of getting you tickets or do they sell out fast?

https://twitter.com/DominicKing_DM/status/729786388854493184
    Jordan Henderson been given the go-ahead to step up his recovery today after positive meetings; remains on target for Euro 2016

murpho999 wrote: »
    Myself a few others want to go to an Anfield league match next season. Does membership give you a reasonable chance of getting you tickets or do they sell out fast?

Yes they sell out fast. It is quite the frustrating experience, especially when starting from zero credits.

Lucas won player of the year tonight in the club awards. I don't know how the voting works. I'm sure it'll annoy a few here.

The Boss.

• Advertisement

Lucas won player of the year tonight in the club awards. I don't know how the voting works. I'm sure it'll annoy a few here.

In a year in which few stood out, Firmino for me. Well done Lucas though. Great servant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Clyne for me.

Played over 50 games. Every one a 7 out of 10.

Steve Finnan 2.0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Has to be Enrique surely, the lad hasn't had a bad game for us this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I vote for Firmino. Honourable mentions for Origi, Allen, Kolo and Clyne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Only one person seems to have a problem with him, he'd probably claim Sturridge helped him win it. But he's on vacation though so it should be safe to give Lucas his dues.

Would have went with Can myself, I remember posters on here questioning how he got a game for the club when he had a few off games during the season but I think the games he's missed and his immense return shows what he brings to the team. Honourable mentions to Clyne and Firmino.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I vote for Firmino. Honourable mentions for Origi, Allen, Kolo and Clyne.

You would really have Origi, Allen & Kolo ahead of Can for POTY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

You would really have Origi, Allen & Kolo ahead of Can for POTY?

Can has been good "recently" but not all year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

ardinn wrote: »
    Can has been good "recently" but not all year!

And Origi, Allen and Toure have been good all season? Can has been a lot more consistent over the course of the season then the others. Kolo has been, but has not played anywhere near enough to be in the running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, i'd have to go for Can too.

How much he's progressed this season is incredible. From a guy we really weren't sure could handle centre mid, to being the first name on the team sheet.

If someone else had been consistently good, maybe he wouldn't get it...but his progression to being an absolutely key player, and a massive onfield personality to spur things on, gives him the edge over others.

Sakho would have been up there but for the recent shenanigans. Otherwise, I just don't even think there's any competition, aside from Clyne who has just been terrifically consistent. Can's bit of "specialness" gives him the edge for me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

And Origi, Allen and Toure have been good all season?

Never said that!!

Clyne is the only standout performer for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Can and Milner have done good together recently and even Milner looks captain material.

Jordan Henderson sticks out now like a sore thumb on both counts.

I would not want Can or Milner replaced by Henderson. To be honest I was hoping he'd still be out for the EL final but apparently is declaring himself ready to return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Can and Milner have done good together recently and even Milner looks captain material.

Jordan Henderson sticks out now like a sore thumb on both counts.

I would not want Can or Milner replaced by Henderson. To be honest I was hoping he'd still be out for the EL final but apparently is declaring himself ready to return.

Club captain suggests he might be available to play a European cup final for the club, but you were hoping he would still be injured and unavailable? Worst fans in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I'm happy for Lucas. Someone I'd consider to be a great servant to the club and by all accounts a decent chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I'm happy for Lucas. Someone I'd consider to be a great servant to the club and by all accounts a decent chap.

Agree with that but don't understand how he could even be in contention for poty. Never mind winning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sturridge gets my vote, or Allen or Toure.

Seriously, Clyne probably the most consistent.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement