Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sensible soccer is the footbal game of game. Only Kick off on the gameboy comes close. Apart from Nintendo World Cup in the NES and Mario Strikers on GC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Sensible soccer is the footbal game of game. Only Kick off on the gameboy comes close. Apart from Nintendo World Cup in the NES and Mario Strikers on GC.

This was good too from the same guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AfxX4yqBps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Who was it who posted about FIFA 94 the last time? Throw in an absolute hack and pelt away from the ref to avoid the yellow card :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

PES 5/6 will always be my favourite football game. Played it so much my parents had to hide it before my junior cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

8-10 wrote: »
    Liverpool have announced that they've persuaded Bayern's nutritionalist to join the club. She seems impressive

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/12/liverpool-bayern-munich-backroom-staff-mona-nemmer

Love it. They take all his Dortmund players so takes all their back room staff. Sneaky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

NukaCola wrote: »
    The corners and free kick conversion is interesting enough when you look at it. To my mind our corners/free kick delivery this season have been poor...yet our conversion rate is fairly decent, we have 9 goals from corners this season and 6 from free kicks in the league. (compared to 3 goals from corners 3 from freekicks last season. 6 from corners and 6 from free's the season before)

Seems like a really good return. Leicester have 5 goals from corners and 6 from free kicks. Man City have 10 goals from corners and 3 from free kicks. Man Utd have 4 goals from corners and 3 from free kicks. Arsenal have 6 goals from corners and 6 from free kicks. Spurs have 10 goals from corners 7 from free kicks.

It's funny how perception and group think can skew things. I though we are poor from long range but we've scored 15 from outside the box:

https://ohyoubeauty.blogspot.ie/2016/05/visualized-liverpool-1-1-chelsea.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+OhYouBeauty+(Oh,+You+Beauty...)&m=1

That piece sums up the progression under Klopp for me, puts it into words. The attack is getting better, 13 successive games scoring, less of the brain freezes at the back and we'll be up there next season.

Interesting that Klopp is good at substitutions. Probably because he has better options than we had before, Benteke is an expensive super sub though! If we can improve the first team and therefore the squad I'd expect that to continue.

Also notable is the quotes from Klopp, long range shots when there are 3 players around you aren't the best idea, gives the opposition an advantage if they block it. Coutinho seems to have cut down on those recently, probably more Sturridge and he's one players who seems to link up with Benteke well.

Not mentioned is the home form, unbeaten since January. That's a huge thing to bring into next season, gives something to build on. Make Anfield a fortress and the away form will come like 13/14.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Before Sensible Soccer, there was Kick Off 2 and before that was Microprose Soccer. That was back in the day when you waited half a day to load the game on the computer to be treated to a graphical treat like this:

5-12-2009-5.12.32-4.jpg

The best soccer game I played in recent years is Red Card Soccer. My kids love it because of the mad tackles and they also get to kick the crap out of Dolphins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

x43r0 wrote: »
    Emre Can named young player of the year at he club awards this evening

It's easy to forget that it is a very young squad, must be next to Spurs.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

MD1990 wrote: »
    PES 5/6 will always be my favourite football game. Played it so much my parents had to hide it before my junior cert.

Same as that! I used to stay up all night editing players and teams. The long range shots in it won't be bettered ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

8-10 wrote: »
    Liverpool have announced that they've persuaded Bayern's nutritionalist to join the club. She seems impressive

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/12/liverpool-bayern-munich-backroom-staff-mona-nemmer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Talisman wrote: »
    Before Sensible Soccer, there was Kick Off 2 and before that was Microprose Soccer. That was back in the day when you waited half a day to load the game on the computer to be treated to a graphical treat like this:

5-12-2009-5.12.32-4.jpg

The best soccer game I played in recent years is Red Card Soccer. My kids love it because of the mad tackles and they also get to kick the crap out of Dolphins.

Loved Microprose soccer and beating Oman 22-0!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Sensible Soccer was great and you can still play it through your browser today

I always liked FIFA Road To World Cup 1998 because of the indoor 5-a-side option with the ball never going out of play and bouncing off the perspex walls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Kick Off 2 was the best soccer game ever, followed closely by ISS Pro '98 for the original Playstation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

kfallon wrote: »
    Kick Off 2 was the best soccer game ever, followed closely by ISS Pro '98 for the original Playstation!

I was more a fan of FIFA '97 and then "always score from the halfway line" glitch

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

paulie21 wrote: »
    Edit: One against Utd in OT

Surely Benteke's against Utd in the home fixture is rated more highly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

These Gotze rumours aren't going away, seem to be gathering pace and credibility :/

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Pro Evo 6 was the absolute pinnacle. Adriano, what a guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Emlyn Hughes International Soccer on the Amstrad, then Actua soccer on the PC.
    In Actua you could regularly score from the half way line, plenty of last second equalizers/winners, you just had to get "that shot" away :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

BMMachine wrote: »
    Pro Evo 6 was the absolute pinnacle. Adriano, what a guy

Crazy to think today's "No Real, No Barca" rule when having friends around was "No Adriano" back then.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Cray to think today's "No Real, No Barca" rule when having friends around was "No Adriano" back then.

Recoba in PES 4 was almost as good as Brazilian Ronaldo. Apparently he was one of the developers favourite players.

Those days were great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Anyone remember International Soccer on the Commodore 64, some princess gave you a cup at the end if you won. Good days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

niallo27 wrote: »
    Anyone remember International Soccer on the Commodore 64, some princess gave you a cup at the end if you won. Good days

Is that the game where you could get under the ball if it was in the air, have it land on your head and run it into the goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

A quick Google stalking.

kat3.jpg

At least the Rodg isn't around to try and roger her

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Microprose soccer was class. There was a Peter Beardsley international soccer which had to have been the worst game ever produced.

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    Is that the game where you could get under the ball if it was in the air, have it land on your head and run it into the goal?

Yes Yes yes yes yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Knex. wrote: »
    Recoba in PES 4 was almost as good as Brazilian Ronaldo. Apparently he was one of the developers favourite players.

Those days were great craic.

In Football Manager 2005, there was a lad who played for Cork City who was unreal, at all levels. Guaranteed goals. You could only get him for a season or two before Barca or the likes came calling for him. His name was Jonathan Cremin, could never find him IRL as a footballer. But a quick google suggests that there is a software developer with that name who is Irish!

Kevin Keegan player manager was ****en brilliant.Before any of this fancy championship manager stuff. Actually anyone remember Soccer rivals on the commodore 64. Your 9 star player could get killed in a plane crash and all your money had to be paid to the families.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We might have to have a play off against West Ham for a Europa league place if results work out a certain way. Unlikely but possible.

5starpool wrote: »
    We might have to have a play off against West Ham for a Europa league place if results work out a certain way. Unlikely but possible.

2-1 win for Liverpool and 1-0 loss for West Ham would be the minimum score for the play off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

2-1 win for Liverpool and 1-0 loss for West Ham would be the minimum score for the play off

West Ham loss 2-1 and Liverpool win 2-3 scorelines would also do it, all this requires Soton don't beat Palace though.

West Ham loss 2-1 and Liverpool win 2-3 scorelines would also do it, all this requires Soton don't beat Palace though.

Not really then it depends on who wins the Cups on Wednesday and next Saturday, Southampton can win and if United win the cup then a play off would be needed if Liverpool don't win on Wednesday night as 7th spot would have a Europa League spot

It'll probably all be academic as we lose to West Brom 2-0 on Sunday anyhow. Hopefully it'll be double academic and we beat Sevilla on Wednesday of course.

It'd be an interesting scenario though, if it had to happen, especially if Utd won the cup, as it would mean that the winners of the playoff got straight into the EL group stages and the losers had to start qualification in July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Not really then it depends on who wins the Cups on Wednesday and next Saturday, Southampton can win and if United win the cup then a play off would be needed if Liverpool don't win on Wednesday night as 7th spot would have a Europa League spot

Thats waaayyyy too complicated for a Friday morning

My head hurts !!!

Can someone repost this on Monday or Tuesday

Thanks

It'll probably all be academic as we lose to West Brom 2-0 on Sunday anyhow. Hopefully it'll be double academic and we beat Sevilla on Wednesday of course.

It'd be an interesting scenario though, if it had to happen, especially if Utd won the cup, as it would mean that the winners of the playoff got straight into the EL group stages and the losers had to start qualification in July.

Where would it the game be played, Upton Park (Boleyn ground) gone and Anfield in full on redevelopment mode

Wembley, biggest game of the season it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Where would it the game be played, Upton Park (Boleyn ground) gone and Anfield in full on redevelopment mode

Premier League rules mean any playoffs must be held at a neutral ground

In all likelihood it would be Villa Park - equally annoying for both set of fans.

I'd say Klopp would have a fit at the prospect of another game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

What would it be? A playoff not to get into the Europa League.

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »
    In Football Manager 2005, there was a lad who played for Cork City who was unreal, at all levels. Guaranteed goals. You could only get him for a season or two before Barca or the likes came calling for him. His name was Jonathan Cremin, could never find him IRL as a footballer. But a quick google suggests that there is a software developer with that name who is Irish!

Now that's the dream!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Only saw this now, but was a bit surprised.

Charlie Adams signs for Stevenage - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35900182

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Only saw this now, but was a bit surprised.

Charlie Adams signs for Stevenage - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35900182

Its a different Charlie Adams

IT'S CHARLIE ADAM!!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

dogbert27 wrote: »

I think the "s" is silent

What would it be? A playoff not to get into the Europa League.

Either that or else a playoff to see who goes into the groups, and who has to start in the qualifier rounds in July
    Its a different Charlie Adams

Whoosh!

dogbert27 wrote: »

Seems like you haven't done your required reading for this thread. You are citytilidie will have to take a summer school class in it. We'll see if Prof. Turty is free for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Coutinho and Milner off the top of my head can do those things.

Lol no they can't.

They rarely ever threaten with a good free kick and as for corner taking? Shocking stuff.

Compare that to having a Sigurdson, Eriksen, Gerrard, Suarez, Payet type free kick taker. Can win you games alone, especially in tight games.

Easier said than done to pick up a player who can take a mean free kick but is also good enough to hold a starting position. We were spoilt having Gerrard for so long and Suarez on top of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Seems like you haven't done your required reading for this thread. You are citytilidie will have to take a summer school class in it. We'll see if Prof. Turty is free for it.

I'd rather not be associated with it. I think it's a bit racist to be confusing two players like that.

• Advertisement

Alonso77 wrote: »
    I think the "s" is silent

He should have a full stop after the m. That would clear this thing up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement