Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We have got to keep Kolo Toure. Don't care what age he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Umaro wrote: »
    13/14: blew the league
    14/15: blew 2 semi-finals, get hockeyed 6-1 by Stoke on the final day
    15/16: blew 2 cup finals

16/17 I'd like it if we could finish the season with a sentiment of "Well that was alright!" rather than the temptation to David Carradine myself.

Stranglewank yourself out of existence in a closet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

DrumSteve wrote: »

Genuinely haven't lol'ed at something so hard on here in a long time. The wording was beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Benimar wrote: »
    No, thats Moreno again.

I'm still amazed that Klopp didn't change it at 1-1. Klopp can be slow to make subs.
    As much as I think Klopp is by far and away the best manager for the job, I thought he was very poor with subs last night.

Klopp taking the blame for not addressing the issues after they score 1st goal.
    wrote:

Klopp: We lost faith in our style of play

Klopp’s side suffered a second-half collapse to lose 3-1

Jürgen Klopp took the blame for the second-half defensive collapse that meant Liverpool were crushed by Seville in the Europa League final last night. The heavy defeat in Switzerland not only resulted in them missing out on qualification for the Champions League, but it also meant that the Merseyside club dropped out of European football altogether.

Liverpool had taken the lead through a brilliant goal from Daniel Sturridge but were blown away in the second half by the Spanish club, who lifted the trophy for the third season in succession.

Seville’s equaliser through Kévin Gameiro came just 17 seconds into the second half and Liverpool never recovered. “It’s obviously the first goal of Seville, that has a big influence on our game,” Klopp said. “You can see not only the team shocked, but the crowd. Everything changed in that moment.

“We lost faith in our style of play. We changed from passing simply and quick to slow and complicated. We lost our formation, not compact any more. We had this problem, one or two times before. We all have to learn to react better.

“In this moment, I am responsible for this performance. There is no criticism and I have spoken to my players. They are still young. For many this was their first big final and we will use this experience. Some day everyone will say Basle was a very decisive moment in the future of Liverpool FC.”

While critical of his team for their second-half failings, Klopp claimed that Liverpool suffered from mistakes by Jonas Eriksson, the Swedish referee, including two handballs that he thought were penalties. “There were four decisive decisions, very obvious and all against us,” he said. “In a final you need a bit of luck.

“Never have I had any bad decision in my favour in a final. I had hoped that would change today. But the first thing you have to do is look at the man in the mirror.”

With no European football next season, Klopp said that he hoped to use the added time on the training ground to push forward his reconstruction of the team he took over from Brendan Rodgers last October. He also expects to be busy in the transfer market.

Klopp has now lost five finals in a row with Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool but added: “We will carry on, I will carry on. You will tell me I have lost five but I will try with all I have to reach the next final. There are bigger problems in life but at this moment it doesn’t feel like this.”

James Milner, the Liverpool captain, said: “We never started the second half. We gave a sloppy goal away and never recovered. We didn’t play anywhere near our capabilities. The double blow is no European football next year for a club of this size. It will take time to get over this.”

Coke, the midfielder who scored Seville’s second and third, said: “This team has heart and soul and gave everything. We knew we were not very many [Seville] fans but each one is worth four of them.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

martyos121 wrote: »
    Genuinely haven't lol'ed at something so hard on here in a long time. The wording was beautiful.

Stranglewank >>>>>>> Erotic asphyxiation :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Stranglewank >>>>>>> Erotic asphyxiation :D:D

Tomayto >>>>>>> Tomato

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

Devastating loss last night, no doubt about it. Will take at least a couple of seasons to get the club back on track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

The third goal was the real kick in the nuts in that it came via the ball ping ponging around Liverpool players and breaking to a Sevilla player who otherwise would have been offside. If it stayed at 2-1 until we got the subs on we would have had a chance to recover but at 3-1 Sevilla knew how to see out the game with killing time and using counter attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Moreno needs to be shown the door along with Skrtel. We need a new left back badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Not many would have given us a chance of 2 finals appearance just 6 months ago, the improvement is there for all to see, Lovren, Lallana, Can, transformed under Klopp and he's only had 6 months to work with them.

Exciting times lies ahead, even with CL i would'nt expect to see many big name players coming in, that just is'nt Klopp's style, he'll get a number of players in probably for less than 10m a piece and sculpt them in to world class players, in terms of attracting players to play for us i don't think we stand any worse off today than if we would have won last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Surely a crank* would be sufficient in the circumstances? I'd save a Hutchence for something like a relegation.

* a cry and a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

LL surely lifetime banned from starting big match threads from now on. As if Crystal Palace in 2014 wasn't bad enough...

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Not too down today, the positives far outweigh the negatives and the road ahead looks decent. Disappointed of course but under Klopp we are going the right way.

We will be in great shape after a couple signings and will make a serious impact in the league next year.

Top 4 is a realistic target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

corwill wrote: »
    Surely a crank* would be sufficient in the circumstances? I'd save a Hutchence for something like a relegation.

* a cry and a ****.

Hutchence got noshed off by Kylie Minogue in first class of an airplane so he's a top bloke in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Jesus Im gutted. That second half performance was the stuff of nightmares and it wasn't like the goals were a shock, they had been coming. We looked like the fight had been drained from us once they got the equaliser.

Coutinho was shocking from beginning to end but as for Moreno, its possible he has played his way out of Anfield after that showing. A horror show. He had a part to play in all three of their goals. The lad just cannot defend.

I honestly believe if we played that match again we would win which makes it even harder to take. Could easily have been 2 or 3 up going into half time. Next season seems a lifetime away today. Next seasons league will be tougher too. All the "big" teams will be stronger, Chelsea, City and United surely won't be as ****e. Spurs likely to be very strong too and Arsenal are always there.

Who knows how Leicester will do but you just can't rule them out.

To take positives from it, we have a clear run domestically but most importantly, we have Klopp. I wish it was the end of August now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Grayditch wrote: »
    On the bus home sitting next to a Saville fan. Clearly the world is not done ****ing with me just yet.

Jesus, the sick bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

martyos121 wrote: »
    from what I've read, Zorc and the scouting team were the real stars at that club.

565.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Hutchence got noshed off by Kylie Minogue in first class of an airplane so he's a top bloke in my book.

While sat in 1st Class behind Bob Hawke, 'Strayah's 23rd Prime Minister. The lads even exchanged a sly wink and a nod of appreciation mid-event.

200w.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Umaro wrote: »
    13/14: blew the league
    14/15: blew 2 semi-finals, get hockeyed 6-1 by Stoke on the final day
    15/16: blew 2 cup finals

16/17 I'd like it if we could finish the season with a sentiment of "Well that was alright!" rather than the temptation to David Carradine myself.

I still think we're in a better place now than we were back on the last dya of last season.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

How many minutes was ball in play in second half. Very little, they broke it up with delay tactics and substitutions ,worst half of football I've seen.

It seems the Spanish teams are very good at this type of thing...'cute hoors' an the English teams need to copy them imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

A few points after last night:

I was fearing the worst ever since the Villareal result. It's my natural stance after years of supporting Liverpool. It didn't soften the blow. I had told myself, 'when was the last time we actually played well in a final? Sevilla are experts on how to win this game. Have we beaten anyone decent since Sakho went out?' and so on. Nope. Even when that Sturridge goal went in I kept reminding myself of reasons we'd throw it away; how Sevilla came back from a goal down last year. How we'd started poorly and the half ended at the worst possible time for us and the best for Sevilla. How the handballs and the disallowed goal had all the hallmarks of a typical bitter defeat. But I couldn't shake the optimism, and now I'm paying the price.

Kolo needs a new contract. I remember after the 1-1 against West Brom in 2013/14 how he'd probably played his last game. 2 years later and he's our MOTM in a Europa League final.

Other than Toure I reckon there are about 5 senior players I would be sad to see leave; Can (for his age and potential), Firmino, Clyne, Origi, and Sturridge - and Sturridge is clearly looking elsewhere. All of the others are either shíte, not performing to their best often enough and could be sold for more than they're actually worth, or banned for use of a prohibited substance. No Europe next season means a lot of fat will be trimmed.

I think the lack of CL football next season means less this year than it has in other years. The massive amount of money on offer means plenty of players are looking to move to the PL. Chelsea and Man Utd are also not in the CL, and it's not like Leicester will be top of a lot of our targets' lists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Pity there was no video replay available last night. Of course the only decision the ref got right was their third goal.

He should be shot with balls of his own ****e,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Other than Toure I reckon there are about 5 senior players I would be sad to see leave; Can (for his age and potential), Firmino, Clyne, Origi, and Sturridge - and Sturridge is clearly looking elsewhere. All of the others are either shíte, not performing to their best often enough and could be sold for more than they're actually worth, or banned for use of a prohibited substance. No Europe next season means a lot of fat will be trimmed.

:D Freudian slip :P

Sappy404 wrote: »
    A few points after last night:

I was fearing the worst ever since the Villareal result. It's my natural stance after years of supporting Liverpool. It didn't soften the blow. I had told myself, 'when was the last time we actually played well in a final? Sevilla are experts on how to win this game. Have we beaten anyone decent since Sakho went out?' and so on. Nope. Even when that Sturridge goal went in I kept reminding myself of reasons we'd throw it away; how Sevilla came back from a goal down last year. How we'd started poorly and the half ended at the worst possible time for us and the best for Sevilla. How the handballs and the disallowed goal had all the hallmarks of a typical bitter defeat. But I couldn't shake the optimism, and now I'm paying the price.

Kolo needs a new contract. I remember after the 1-1 against West Brom in 2013/14 how he'd probably played his last game. 2 years later and he's our MOTM in a Europa League final.

I think the lack of CL football next season means less this year than it has in other years. The massive amount of money on offer means plenty of players are looking to move to the PL. Chelsea and Man Utd are also not in the CL, and it's not like Leicester will be top of a lot of our targets' lists.

Jesus, I don't know about that. We had a glorious opportunity last night to grab group stage CL football with the attracting power that would bring in the transfer market. Now we are looking at an infinitely more difficult transfer window, plus getting through all of next season just to get us to where we could have been next August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I still think we're in a better place now than we were back on the last dya of last season.

I dunno man, I'd prefer to get the shít beaten out of us on the last day of a club legends playing stint with the club at the Britannia than lose our second cup final in a few months :pac:

Coutihno, Firmino & Can were quite poor last night I thought from the perspective of giving the ball away, all three were culprits on a number of occasions. Sevilla weathered the storm and the game turned very early into the 2nd half, we didn't manage to navigate our way out of it unfortunately

Moreno...I'm all for allowing young players develop but what's Clyne? 3 years older than him? Yet he's fúcking lightyears ahead of him defensively - and let's be honest, he's equal if not better than him going forward.

What's indicative of how small mistakes from Moreno cost us is how you'd rate the rest of our backline last night - I thought Lovern was pretty solid, Toure was immense, Clyne must have covered 10k in the first half such was the doing he was giving their LB and yes, our defence looked ragged at times in the 2nd half but that was on account of us having to try and push up the field

Looking forward to seeing what Klopp does next season, long way off now but it's all positive so far as I'm concerned, would have been even better had we a cup under the arm & CL ball next year to build on, but we'll build nonetheless

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't understand anyone playing down the impact of no European football next season on the club. I can understand someone accentuating the positives, but there are many clear negatives as well.

I think though that next season it removes some of the reasons why people might try to excuse bad performances. I'm certainly not saying that next season is make or break for Klopp, but some people will spin it that way. There is one vital cog in particular missing from our nearly league season a couple of years ago, Suarez. Saying 'ah we can go for the league next year' is not realistic, despite Klopp unless we can recruit some real top class players, which will be made more difficult without CL.

I'm gutted we didn't win last night, I'm gutted we won't be in any European competition next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Not too down today, the positives far outweigh the negatives and the road ahead looks decent. Disappointed of course but under Klopp we are going the right way.

We will be in great shape after a couple signings and will make a serious impact in the league next year.

Top 4 is a realistic target.

I actually feel gutted today about that result , or more-so the manner of it.
    Just as i thought we were making progress it feels like 1 step forward and 2 back.
    Klopp didnt manage the subs well, midfield was crying out for reinforcing on the hour mark but when a team get their tails up like sevilla did it can be hard to stem the tide.
    How the ref / linesman didnt call at least one of those penalies is beyond me.
    I still have every confidence that over next season Klopp will strengthen and build a winning team and do well in the league so all in all i have a good feeling about next year and the direction of the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

From Linda on Instagram
    The drama of surviving all of the rounds of elimination on the long journey to the Europa League Final was exciting and gratifying. The famous Liverpool supporters gathered in Basel from around the world. There were more supporters outside the stadium who made the journey despite not being able to get tickets than the lucky ones who were at the match. The match started with the pomp and palpable excitement and nerves that is truly a wonder to experience. Liverpool was ahead at the half, fans watching were cautiously optimistic. 45 long minutes later the match was over and Sevilla, the reigning champs, won the cup again. We left the stadium quietly, all a little heart broken. Disappointed to not bring home the cup, sad for the tens of thousands of supporters who had travelled to support their team, for the millions who watched at home with hope in their hearts. Jurgen's words that we will come back stronger next season leaves me grateful for the experience and journey to the final, and excited for next season. Thanks, friends, for joining me on this journey. #ynwa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

5starpool wrote: »
    I don't understand anyone playing down the impact of no European football next season on the club. I can understand someone accentuating the positives, but there are many clear negatives as well.

I think though that next season it removes some of the reasons why people might try to excuse bad performances. I'm certainly not saying that next season is make or break for Klopp, but some people will spin it that way. There is one vital cog in particular missing from our nearly league season a couple of years ago, Suarez. Saying 'ah we can go for the league next year' is not realistic, despite Klopp unless we can recruit some real top class players, which will be made more difficult without CL.

I'm gutted we didn't win last night, I'm gutted we won't be in any European competition next season.

Don't buy that - Klopp knows who is wants and they are not obvious CL-marquee names bar Gotze. Sanchez went to Arsenal when Liverpool finished second, why? Cos Arsenal were bigger, in the CL and er in London. Plus Wengers name probably meant a lot more to him than Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

MD1990 wrote: »
    We have got to keep Kolo Toure. Don't care what age he is.

Yeah. He's 35 but he's clearly an exceptional athlete and hasn't been worn down hugely during his time here. He may fall off the cliff halfway through next season in terms of his capabilities but I'm fine taking that risk.

• Advertisement

Milkers wrote: »
    LL surely lifetime banned from starting big match threads from now on. As if Crystal Palace in 2014 wasn't bad enough...

:pac:

I had the Dortmund second leg thread. Swings and roundabouts!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

I'm happy to let Toure go. As great as his performances have been he struggles to last the 90 minutes, and that's with playing fairly sporadically. I don't think he'd fair well playing every week. Next season should give us a good chance to get a long-term settled centre back pairing.

Augme wrote: »
    I'm happy to let Toure go. As great as his performances have been he struggles to last the 90 minutes, and that's with playing fairly sporadically. I don't think he'd fair well playing every week. Next season should give us a good chance to get a long-term settled centre back pairing.

No Sakho for a period, maybe the whole year. Skrtel a beaten docket. Yeah Matip is coming in and him and Lovren will probably be the first choice but not wanting Toure around for depth seems mad to me - particular when we can all agree experience in general was lacking last night.

Toure would be a brilliant 3rd/4th choice and coach. Nutty to let him go if he wants to stay - which he does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Haven't ventured into the match thread and i won't be doing so. I can only imagine what it's like. Man U fans having a field day, i'd say (and why not in fairness, that's football rivalry) and AIG explaining how Sevilla were always the team to watch all along and explaining what a regista is. Haven't read this thread either because i can't really be doing with any fallout.

My thoughts on the match are that at half time i was worried that we were only one up. Happy, but worried. We should have been out of sight (Sevilla were playing bloody basketball at times) but only having a goal lead was delicate.

The second half was one of the most disappointing halves of football i can remember. Sure, conceding so early changes things and we were up against it for the next ten minutes after that. But we seemed to come back into it in the following ten minutes and were playing like we did in the first half, but we just fell apart. That was a final there to be won and we disappointed.

Credit to Sevilla, they were very professional in the second half and played the game well. They deserved it in the end, but the worst thing is we look back at that final with so many regrets. It was there to be won.

To be positive, we wouldn't have reached this final under Rodgers. I'm not trying to bring up anti-Rodgers feelings, but i think we all know that. The fact we were there at all last night is due to us having a world class manager and we're in safe hands going forward. No matter who lifted the cup last night, Klopp is going to change the squad. It's not good enough.

Moreno needs to go in the summer, send him back to Spain. I'm just sick of him at this stage. I'm repeating myself so much, but i really really wish we'd sign Aaron Cresswell, he's just so superior to Moreno. Yes, he'd cost a lot of money, especially as he recently signed a new contract, but i reckon he'd be open to the move so i'd love it we actually just spent the money.

Kolo Toure should be given another year. He was superb last night and an experienced head like that can only have positive effects on the rest of the squad.

Klopp seems to be handling Sturridge superbly. He hasn't been injured since Klopp refused to play him despite Sturridge claiming he was ready to play. He put him on a pre-season routine mid season and it's worked wonders. I love the way as well that Klopp doesn't pamper him. He makes him realise he's got genuine competition for his spot in the likes of Origi.

Overall, Klopp getting Brendan Rodgers' squad to a League Cup and Europa League final is a mark of his abilty. Sure, we didn't win those two games which ultimately means nothing in terms of success, but it means a hell of a lot in terms of where we're going. He's going to make his own signings, bring in new heroes for us all to adore and lift us to a higher plain.

We're in safe hands lads. The next few years are going to unbelievable craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Big fan of Sturridge and was one of the few that actually wanted him signed in the first place but he was absolutely cooked in the second half last night. I fear he is always just around the corner from breaking down and a disrupted summer with the euros isn't gona help that.

Origi, Ings and Firmino is not a reliable enough strikeforce when it comes to actually scoring goals and I think Sturridge recent run of fitness is papering over the cracks for some of us. We realy need to get rid of Benteke and Balotelli and use the money and wages to get in a striker! Anything we get out of Sturridge after that will be a bonus!

Still a lot if work to be done to the first team and no european football next year makes that more difficult. But a new Keeper, Left Back, Centre Midfielder and another CB (aswell as Matip) are all needed.

New Keeper

Clyne
    Matip
    Lovren
    New LB

Can
    New CM

Coutinho?
    Firmino
    Lallana?

New Striker

I think there is question marks over Lallana and Coutinho for next season.

If the right money was offered for both I could see them leave in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I haven't seen Sturridge sprint in about two years. Genuinely.

New Keeper
    Clyne
    Matip
    Lovren
    New LB
    Can
    New CM

Coutinho?
    Firmino
    Lallana?

New Striker

I think there is question marks over Lallana and Coutinho for next season.

If the right money was offered for both I could see them leave in the summer.

Playing two in the middle is just far too high risk, the front 3-1 is in fact a front 4 for all intents and purposes.

I'd go with this, (assuming the links turn out to be real)

Karius
    Clyne-Lovren-Matip-Hector
    Can
    Milner--Zielinski
    No 10 (take your pick)
    ---Sturridge--Origi

or
    Karius
    Can
    Milner--Zielinski
    Three-Forwards--Here

The midfield would see Can as the stopper, Zielinski the playmaker and Milner the runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No Sakho for a period, maybe the whole year. Skrtel a beaten docket. Yeah Matip is coming in and him and Lovren will probably be the first choice but not wanting Toure around for depth seems mad to me - particular when we can all agree experience in general was lacking last night.

I'd rather look at getting in another defender then relying on Toure. If we were still in Europe then I can see the value of his experience alright, but without it I think that positive about him diminishes. Not to mention the current squad should learn a lot from last night. No big deal if we keep it, whatever really. Can't say I'd be too thrilled if we leave him as our 3rd choice CB for the year though, or even half of it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Don't buy that - Klopp knows who is wants and they are not obvious CL-marquee names bar Gotze. Sanchez went to Arsenal when Liverpool finished second, why? Cos Arsenal were bigger, in the CL and er in London. Plus Wengers name probably meant a lot more to him than Rodgers.

Needless to say I disagree. I know that most of the names mentioned are not marquee players, and even if we were in the CL, I don't think we would have signed any massive names anyhow, Gotze seems to be the exception in terms of links so far. However, we may end up losing out on some decent prospect or solid mid level player because they went to the 3rd place German team, or decided to stay at the 2nd placed French team, or whatever because of it.

Ultimately we will probably never know if it made any difference at all in terms of recruitment, but even aside from that, the midweek matches, the fact that we might play 60+ games in a season that I would watch (even though half of them will make me annoyed and upset) and the fact that we are on the outside looking in, again, makes me irritated.

Liverpool have been in 12 European finals (not including Super Cup), winning 8 since our first appearance in one 50 years ago, a little better than 1 every 4 years. This club more than any other English club is associated with European football, even despite our relative slump of the last 26 years, we've been in 4 of them in the last 15 years. If we don't have European football we are losing a vital element of what makes Liverpool a great club to support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

5starpool wrote: »
    Needless to say I disagree. I know that most of the names mentioned are not marquee players, and even if we were in the CL, I don't think we would have signed any massive names anyhow, Gotze seems to be the exception in terms of links so far. However, we may end up losing out on some decent prospect or solid mid level player because they went to the 3rd place German team, or decided to stay at the 2nd placed French team, or whatever because of it.

Ultimately we will probably never know if it made any difference at all in terms of recruitment, but even aside from that, the midweek matches, the fact that we might play 60+ games in a season that I would watch (even though half of them will make me annoyed and upset) and the fact that we are on the outside looking in, again, makes me irritated.

Liverpool have been in 12 European finals (not including Super Cup), winning 8 since our first appearance in one 50 years ago, a little better than 1 every 4 years. This club more than any other English club is associated with European football, even despite our relative slump of the last 26 years, we've been in 4 of them in the last 15 years. If we don't have European football we are losing a vital element of what makes Liverpool a great club to support.

I absolutely concur. Despite the fact i can see the positives of having no European football next season, we are up there with the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich etc in European football. We need to be in Europe every single season and hopefully that quest starts next year.

Sevilla & Juventus are the benchmark that we should aspire to in terms of recruitment. Some of the players linked Karius & Zielinski I don't know much about but I'm hopeful there are good additions considering Klopp & his assistants signings at Dortmund were superb.
    Gotze for 20m would be great too if it can be done . Matip for free is an excellent signing. Grujic is a prospect so I wouldn't have huge expectations for him yet. A striker like Morata would be great to replace Benteke but I can't see us signing him. Gameiro was another mentioned years ago so realisticaly I hope we could look around Europe & somehow try & find an unknown gem.

Can & Origi are 2 young players who I think have a great future ahead. Firmino after his 1st season will only improve as well. I don't think we need huge changes but just some proven players to improve the 1st 11. Matip & Gotze would be a good start. I would love us to pay Krychowiak's buyout as well. Only back from injury so wasn't as his best last night but he is a brillant DM & comes across as a leader on the pitch which we are lacking.

Players who I would sell are(not including u21 loans)

Skrtel - Never good enough but always gave his all.
    Moreno - Maybe its knee jerk. I had faith in him but after last night I'm not sure there is a way back for him.
    Ibe - . Very disapointing season he has shown no progression at all. I think he freezes in certain big games. Not ready yet & I don't think he ever will be. We have Ojo a year younger who looks more promising.
    Benteke - Not suited to our style at all. Very lazy & just doesn't seem capable of changing.
    Bogdan - lol
    Henderson - I changed my mind about him. Allen,Miner & Henderson are all of a similar level. I would hope we bring in a CM/DM of a higher standard so I don't think we can keep all 3. Allen has been very good this season & Milner has really improved as the season wore on. Henderson I don't think would settle not being a consistent starter so if a decent came in 15-20M I would probably sell.

Playing two in the middle is just far too high risk, the front 3-1 is in fact a front 4 for all intents and purposes.

I'd go with this, (assuming the links turn out to be real)

Karius
    Can
    Milner--Zielinski
    No 10 (take your pick)
    ---Sturridge--Origi

or
    Karius
    Can
    Milner--Zielinski
    Three-Forwards--Here

The midfield would see Can as the stopper, Zielinski the playmaker and Milner the runner.

The 4231 can easily slip into 451, 442, 4411 with the right players something we were very limited with this season.

The major thing is we need a new commanding CM.

I think Klopp will use wingers more next season instead of three 10's that he was mainly forced to use this season because of the lack of wingers.

Don't forgot Lucas was our MOTM vs City in the CC final.
    I wouldn't be pushing to sell him at all. Brillant servant & still a good DM as well just needs a few games to get match fitness. But if he wanted to leave to get regular games the club shouldn't stand in his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Goalkeeper
    Adam Bogdan - release
    Simon Mignolet - keep as back up and sell next summer
    Danny Ward - loan out again
    Karius

Defender

Nathaniel Clyne
    Jose Enrique - Release
    Kolo Toure - Keep
    Dejan Lovren - Keep
    Joe Gomez Keep and try and introduce to the team this year
    Mamadou Sakho - be back in 1 year
    Alberto Moreno - sell if possible
    Steven Caulker - release
    Tiago Ilori - Keep
    Kevin Stewart
    Martin Skrtel sell
    matip skrtel replacement
    Jon Flanagan - keep
    Brad Smith keep
    Connor Randall - keep
    Quality left back

Midfielder
    James Milner - keep make captain
    Jordan Henderson
    Lucas sell - upgrade require
    Zielinski
    Emre Can
    Joe Allen sell release
    Marko Grujic
    Cameron Brannagan
    Ryan Kent
    Jordan Rossiter gone to rangers
    Joao Carlos Teixeira
    Oluwaseyi Ojo
    Allan Rodrigues de Souza
    Sergi Canos
    Pedro Chirivella
    Harry Wilson

Attacking Midfielder
    Roberto Firmino - keep
    Philippe Coutinho - keep
    Adam Lallana - bite the hand of spurs for 20 million
    Jordon Ibe - loan out next year maybe to newcastle
    Goetze - buy upgrade on lallana

Striker
    Daniel Sturridge
    Christian Benteke - sell get 25 million
    Divock Origi
    Danny Ings
    Jerome Sinclair - sell to watford
    Ballotelli - sell or release just get rid

Here's my outrageous prediction for the summer transfer season - Klopp will sell Coutinho.

(feel free to bookmark this! :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Goalkeeper
    Adam Bogdan - release
    Simon Mignolet - keep as back up and sell next summer
    Danny Ward - loan out again
    Karius

Defender

Nathaniel Clyne
    Jose Enrique - Release
    Kolo Toure - Keep
    Dejan Lovren - Keep
    Joe Gomez Keep and try and introduce to the team this year
    Mamadou Sakho - be back in 1 year
    Alberto Moreno - sell if possible
    Steven Caulker - release
    Tiago Ilori - Keep
    Kevin Stewart
    Martin Skrtel sell
    matip skrtel replacement
    Jon Flanagan - keep
    Brad Smith keep
    Connor Randall - keep
    Quality left back

Midfielder
    James Milner - keep make captain
    Jordan Henderson
    Lucas sell - upgrade require
    Zielinski
    Emre Can
    Joe Allen sell release
    Marko Grujic
    Cameron Brannagan
    Ryan Kent
    Jordan Rossiter gone to rangers
    Joao Carlos Teixeira
    Oluwaseyi Ojo
    Allan Rodrigues de Souza
    Sergi Canos
    Pedro Chirivella
    Harry Wilson

Attacking Midfielder
    Roberto Firmino - keep
    Philippe Coutinho - keep
    Adam Lallana - bite the hand of spurs for 20 million
    Jordon Ibe - loan out next year maybe to newcastle
    Goetze - buy upgrade on lallana

Striker
    Daniel Sturridge
    Christian Benteke - sell get 25 million
    Divock Origi
    Danny Ings
    Jerome Sinclair - sell to watford
    Ballotelli - sell or release just get rid

Agree with a lot of that, but if Illori couldn't get a game in that Villa side he should be gone as well

And if we manage to clear out those 3 strikers we need 1 quality replacment

Would only let Allen go at the right price - seems happy enough to be a squad player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

MD1990 wrote: »
    Sevilla & Juventus are the benchmark that we should aspire to in terms of recruitment. Some of the players linked Karius & Zielinski I don't know much about but I'm hopeful there are good additions considering Klopp & his assistants signings at Dortmund were superb.
    Gotze for 20m would be great too if it can be done . Matip for free is an excellent signing. Grujic is a prospect so I wouldn't have huge expectations for him yet. A striker like Morata would be great to replace Benteke but I can't see us signing him. Gameiro was another mentioned years ago so realisticaly I hope we could look around Europe & somehow try & find an unknown gem.

Can & Origi are 2 young players who I think have a great future ahead. Firmino after his 1st season will only improve as well. I don't think we need huge changes but just some proven players to improve the 1st 11. Matip & Gotze would be a good start. I would love us to pay Krychowiak's buyout as well. Only back from injury so wasn't as his best last night but he is a brillant DM & comes across as a leader on the pitch which we are lacking.

Players who I would sell are(not including u21 loans)

Skrtel - Never good enough but always gave his all.
    Moreno - Maybe its knee jerk. I had faith in him but after last night I'm not sure there is a way back for him.
    Ibe - . Very disapointing season he has shown no progression at all. I think he freezes in certain big games. Not ready yet & I don't think he ever will be. We have Ojo a year younger who looks more promising.
    Benteke - Not suited to our style at all. Very lazy & just doesn't see, capable of changing.
    Bogdan - lol
    Henderson - I changed my mind about him. Allen,Miner & Henderson are all of a similar level. I would hope we bring in a CM/DM of a higher standard so I don't think we can keep all 3. Allen has been very good this season & Milner has really improved as the season wore on. Henderson I don't think would settle not being a consistent starter so if a decent came in 15-20M I would probably sell.

Agree with all of that. I would let lucas go too-. big wages and the legs are gone too. I would let allen g, he is an honest player but he just doesn't fill the jersey and he is too light. We have too many light players up top so our centre midfielder should have a bit of physique about them. I would keep hendo another year and if the new signing have bedded in then i would off load him next summer if his performance has not increased

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

With only one game a week next season at least no one at the club will be encouraged to buy quantity over quality, we don't need a huge squad so hopefully this summer's money can be invested into top players.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement